Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil 2022/2023 - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc.

Poster: A snowHead
Here we go again snowHead. Have a great season everyone!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cheers Shep, it’s a great time of year now with the autumn colours and quiet resorts.

Another big redevelopment in the middle of LG town, area next to ice rink.

Boomerang are hosting a 3 day ‘German’ beer festival so that was the only lively place open last night. Finale on Sunday.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The garage and petrol station in Morzine has also just been razed to the ground. More infrastructure demolished to make way for apartment blocks I imagine.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@shep, yikes!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Does anyone know if the Portes du Soleil will be doing their half price lift pass offer this year? They've done it for the past few (several?) years and it was a big money saver when we last visited in 2021.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The half-price flash-sale for season passes was back in the spring; for shorter term passes they seem to have various rolling promotions, best to check in regularly on the website and hope something suitable pops up. Good luck snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@shep, thanks!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
shep wrote:
The garage and petrol station in Morzine has also just been razed to the ground. More infrastructure demolished to make way for apartment blocks I imagine.

60 new apartments apparently - just across the roundabout from the big one they seem to have been building for ever. Adam from Alpine Sports tells me he’s moving into a retail unit on the ground floor in that one. And planning permission being applied for on the big slope above the Delbard roundabout - I think that is 40-odd units.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I see Les Gets are running a night bus this season - 2000-0000. Would be great if Morzine would do something similar. The walk back to ours isn’t too bad (20 mins from centre, and we have Le Local on the way for a half-time beverage) but it’d be good to be able to get into town without having to rush for the last bus.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tour de France route just announced and the tour will be in Morzine for Bastille weekend.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@WindOfChange, also the start of ZH holidays so for ONCE we might be able to go. Last time I was there for TdF was 2016, 8months pregnant and I got a ticket to the finish line because i’d volunteered at the Etape.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
WindOfChange wrote:
Tour de France route just announced and the tour will be in Morzine for Bastille weekend.

And the etape is using the Annemasse to Morzine stage the week before so a bumper week for the area. Flights sorted today - out Thursday night, bikes, Bastille and beer awaits.

The small matter of a ski season first though - looks to be getting decidedly chillier towards the end of next week?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi all

Heading to the PDS for Christmas. Just the 4 nights staying up near the Lake in Montriond. Not been away over Xmas before so really looking forward to it! Just got a few questions that I'm hoping some area experts can answer!

Flying into Geneva and looking for a transfer for 2. Don't mind a shared. Any recommendations?

We are keen walkers and looking at google maps, it's suggesting that it's an hour walk from the Lake into Morzine but aware that sometimes it can be misleading. We would want to head down into Morzine on Christmas eve to partake in the celebrations and eat. Is it realistically walkable? I guess the buses down at least would still be running on the 24th afternoon so we can get down, and then a taxi back?

Any recommendations for somewhere to eat on the 24th in Morzine? Nothing too fancy, but just decent, wholesome food and an atmosphere.

Finally, what is Morzine like on Christmas Eve? I assume there will be some events on etc?

Thanks all!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Fridge03, I’m not sure I’d fancy that walk at night - it’s uphill all the way from Montriond village on an unlit road (won’t be a lot of traffic but I wouldn’t fancy it).

There are taxis but I’d start looking and booking now! I’m not sure how many will be working xmas eve - Last Van Standing, Getaway Vans and Paul D at Apex all do in-resort taxis. Another option is to ask your accommodation if they can help.

Your other option is to get a car instead of a transfer and then someone drives xmas eve? We’ve only ever used private transfers and usually use Jo at Taxi Morzine, but have used Skiidy Gonzales when she’s not available. There seem to be fewer shared transfers these days - mates sometimes use Alpybus, and I understand Skiidy also do shared.

Never done xmas in Morzine, but you’re well provided with decent places to eat - the ubiquitous La Rotonde and l’Etale and Chamade are all reliable (Chamade’s a wee bit posher) - our favourite is La Flamme at the bottom of the Super M gondola as they’re lovely folks - but all will do a good quality meat and cheese combo.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Fridge03, every time i've been to Morzine i've used Alpybus for shared transfers. Some people give them a bad review, but i've not had a single issue having used them in 2015, 2019, 2020 and 2022.

Like @andy from embsay, i'd not want to be doing that walk up that road either.
ski holidays
@swskier, +1 - I’ve read all the horror stories about Alybus but our mates had a perfect transfer both ways and paid about €35 each way.

We always hire a car now but Alpybus/Skiidy shared is a good option for a small party.
latest report
Christmas eve is the day when the French have their big Christmas meal, rather than the 25th.
So a many places will have a set meal with some all or any of:
(Mi-cuit) Fois Gras, Oysters, Turkey with Chestnuts, Filet Mignon, Smoked Salmon, yule log et ... Champagne.
In addition to the places mentioned in above replies, I enjoy The Grange, The Local & used to like the Farmhouse, but since Covid they did not offer dining to non-guests (don't know if thats gonna change this season).
snow report
@andy from embsay, If looking at Chamonix, we'd be booking now for xmas eve (not as bad as NY eve but still). An issue in Morzine?

I wouldn't be walking an hour at night when it could easily be well below zero (and we would hope that it is...)
snow conditions
@WindOfChange, Le Local also a fave of ours - a bit out of town, but great food, fab people and (crucially) half way home for us!
latest report
@WindOfChange, an eye wateringly expensive set meal, typically.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@andy from embsay, If looking at Chamonix, we'd be booking now for xmas eve (not as bad as NY eve but still). An issue in Morzine?

I wouldn't be walking an hour at night when it could easily be well below zero (and we would hope that it is...)

Taxis are hard to come by on a normal night as there’s hardly any local taxi services - mainly transfer firms who do a bit extra in the week.
ski holidays
WindOfChange wrote:
Filet Mignon

It should perhaps be pointed out that this, in France (and CH) is used to refer to pork tenderloin; the Americans use it to mean fillet steak, which is simply Filet de Boeuf. Does the UK tend to use the American term these days as well?
ski holidays
@Chaletbeauroc, I was referring to Porc. I've never seen Filet de Boeuf on a French Christmas or NYE Menu.
It's more for practical reasons though, because when you have a filet de boeuf, you get to choose how well its cooked. So its not practical for this kind of set menu operation as you'd need to have a whole load on the go all cooked differently ( cheffy nightmare ). With porc, you don't have this - just get a nice bit of colour on the outside, make sure its cooked through and still juicy inside, and cut off slices to for your orders. You can hot hold the porc without really affecting its state detrimentally (up to a point), whereas it's harder to hot hold beef without it continuing to cook.
The question about what people in the UK think a Filet Mignon refers to is pretty moot as I'm sure 60% wouldn't know and a further 25% wouldn't care as they're meat free Smile

@under a new name, Xmas and NYE are the big money nights you want to be banging out covers at 50-90 euros a pop plus getting them buying champers (after the one glass included with their meal gives them the taste for it). With a set menu its easy as you get it all prepped in advance. What you don't want is a table of 4 coming in and ordering 4 different dishes, drinking a carafe of water and spending 20 Euros a head. These are more effort to serve and cook, and there's no pay-off.
snow report
@Fridge03, just seen an ad on FB for Hotel du Lac’s pre-xmas party nights - and they state they offer a free taxi service back to town - so I wonder if they’d do it in reverse on xmas eve?
snow conditions
@WindOfChange, Yes, I thought you probably were, just pointing it out for non-French speakers. Maybe I spent too much time with American colleagues over the years, and too many visits to the US.

I would be interested to know if/how it's used these days in the UK anyway, though.

We've done these Gala dinners a couple of times, at vast extra cost, and TBH I wouldn't bother again. Too much of it, like the oysters, not to my or my wife's taste, and just 'fussy' for the sake of it in our view. Then again I guess the French might not appreciate our single-course but ten different dishes xmas turkey dinner either Laughing
ski holidays
@WindOfChange, oh I totally get the economics and I'm not criticising it, just pointing it out - as it can come as quite the surprise Shocked As much as ticketed bars on new years eve.

On the forward booking, I was referring to resto tables, not taxis, for sure NY eve here is well booked, well in advance. Not really sure about xmas eve.

We'll be at home with sushi (reserved well in advance) I think.

P.S. I really don't like french cooked pork, pink in the middle. Gritty. Embarassed
snow report
Brilliant. Thanks all for the tips!
latest report
Morzine ice hockey schedule released.

Circa €12 per ticket for an adult.

http://www.hockey-morzine.com/d1/calendrier/?fbclid=IwAR00RFQW80jPnrdHgqFtpxCYi5ICioju8DJUeAA1oFkiyxj0m_SX9KglauM
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Avoriaz 2300m

Bowl 1600-1700m

Pretty much in line with expectations, the second low pulls in this afternoon, colder air should see snow down to 1300-1400, will need another 10cm to be worth a slide tomorrow morning.
ski holidays
Great to see this Polo. We're due in Les Gets on 17 Dec, we're a little nervous as to what the snow will by the time we arrive. So it's always nice to see the first serious snow of the season appear in good time. Hopefully the 20+C temps will also now be a distant memory!
latest report
@Randyp909, long way to go, later in November for next chance. Snow settling now at 1300m, will head up to La Croix in the morning
latest report

Still not enough at 1500m, might get a few more cm tonight otherwise a longer hike
ski holidays
Lovely to see some snowy pictures. It won't last, but it's very early November - absolutely no need to panic.
snow conditions
We were skiing a few times in Les Gets around 15 November when we happened to be there to open up the chalet. Returning for a quick week before Christmas on 17th December staying in the village somewhere.
ski holidays
Stopped snowing

ski holidays
@polo,
Great Pic
snow report
@@247snowman, +1 Madeye-Smiley
snow report
It’s a privilege. I literally took the dog out for a wee and looked up and snapped
ski holidays
Has there been any mention of Black Friday lift pass offers this year? Last year we had a good deal for the two of us and as little one is 5 now he will need one buying as well so I was hoping to save a bit on them if possible.
latest report
Do they do free kids’ passes with adult ones? They do on season passes I think.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy