Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil 2022/2023 - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc.

Poster: A snowHead
@franga,
The easiest way to navigate the PdS Is to pick up a piste map in each sector and use it to navigate that sector.
Essentially the paper piste maps you pick up in each area have two side (I know that sounds obvious).
The piste map will have the the full PdS map on one side and the ‘detail’ map of each specific area the map relates to on the 2nd side.
I.e pick up a list map in Morzine/Les Gets and it will have full PdS map on one side and Morzine/Les Gets detail on the other.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@franga, No reason at all why you couldn't do the whole PdS circuit. Having to get across Morzine twice might be a pain, I guess, but if you've got as far as les Crosets before, getting round from there via Champousin, Morgins, Super Châtel, Linga, Lindarets and Avoriaz should only take a couple of hours max for decent skiers.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@franga,
Four x maps to try and get.
1 Chatel
2Avoriaz
3 Morzine Les Gets
4Swiss side.

What time of year is your trip?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@franga,

See the Avoriaz and Morzine/Les Gets maps via the link

https://en.morzine-avoriaz.com/brochures-hiver.html
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@franga,

https://en.calameo.com/read/002794051f174c6802d32

Chatel map
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks a million both. Much appreciated. Bonus long weekend (kids’ school closed on the Friday) in 3 weeks before our main family holiday in the 3Vs at HT. I like the idea of the whole PdS circuit. I presume if we somehow mess it up we can jump on the bus at Lindarets or Ardent to head back. We spent a cracking 3 weeks in Les Gets and Morzine this summer so really looking forward to showing Mrs F and our 2 boys the area in winter (I’ve been 3-4 times before). Thanks again.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@franga, I’d also download the PdS app - that will give you live lift status updates and has a clickable piste map of the whole area that you can use to select lifts, runs or even restaurants.

I’d agree you should have no probs doing the circuit especially with the new chair in Super Chatel area that now goes further up the hill and saves you going up the Morclan chair or a couple of drags to access Chalet Neuf area. Your only risk is being back on the right side of the Swiss border ridge (assuming you do it clockwise), but you have options to cut back over early into Lindarets via Mosettes. Then if the worst comes to the worst you could always get a normal service bus back from Morzine to Les Gets for €1.50 - that runs til about 1830. Timetable here has the valley buses as well as the free navettes in LG and Morzine. https://www.valleedaulps.com/medias//images/prestataires/95303-guide_transport_vallee_d_aulps_hiv2022_23.pdf
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@franga, if you have a car an early start and parking at Ardent would give you loads of time to explore the whole of Chatel, Torgon, La Chapelle (Braitaz) then over to Morgins and round the Swiss side. So long as you get as far as Les Crosets it is one lift (Grand Conche or Mosettes) and then ski all the way back through Lindarets to Ardent.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Live trip report

Abandoned pre planed itinerary

Straight to Mont Chery

Empty

Never boarded so much untracked snow in 3 hours.

Tired legs, first vin chaud of the day (and season)

snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is that LG down below? (With the vino)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Charliegolf, yep

Looking at Nyon, Chamossiere, Chavannes and Ranfolly bowl to the right, in front of Mont Blanc (far right)

Here’s another angle towards La Turche / Perrieres

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@polo, - nice one. I was up at the Terche this morning. Empty. Circuit is open. Snow up the top was good; lower down blocky man-made for the most part - will benefit from some sun this afternoon.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Morgins-les Crozets all open today, superb piste conditions, off-piste powder a bit heavy in places (and then I found that I'd had my boots on walk mode all morning, not great for ski school training, D'oh). Corbeau lift is running, and I see a few people have skied down rather than take the chair, but the piste hasn't been groomed at all, which is fairly normal for this time of year. There's more snow forecast for later in the week, so with a bit of luck they may open it for next weekend - sometimes it doesn't open until late January, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@polo, looks amazing. Can’t wait.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@andy from embsay / @DJL thank you very much both.
ski holidays
Amazing photos. Can't wait. Counting down the days to our Xmas trip! Arriving Friday!
snow conditions
Headed for PLJ this morning, with half a plan to go on to Torgon. Lift closures in Chatel scuppered that, so skied a bit the PLJ side, then over to Lindarets and then Switzerland to ski in the sun. Back to France and found some nice stuff off the sides of the 2 Cubore lifts. Brochaux for a late lunch, a quick blast of Fornet and back to Morzine for a beer in Bec Jaune. Weather was great and the snow has generally been excellent. Forecast is a bit warmer tomorrow so will be interesting to see how the snow holds up.
latest report
@Fridge03, where you staying Fridge? we arrive friday also!
ski holidays
billy lale wrote:
@Fridge03, where you staying Fridge? we arrive friday also!

We are staying up at Hotel Du Lac in Montriond.
latest report
@franga, Depends if you stop for lunch etc. but I'd say turn-around point on the Swiss-side probably Morgins (fouilleuse chair), or bottom of Linga going the other way. Crossing Morgins and linking through Super-Chatel is probably a bit ambitious.
latest report
@shep, Not sure I agree. While I've never timed it exactly, I'd think that Morgins-Lindaret would be slightly quicker via Châtel and Linga. Just two lifts from Morgins allow you to ski to the PdS lift down, thence Gabelou to Linga.

If you're doing the circuit in that direction you do have to factor in the bus between the Follieuse and Corbeau chairs, but that's really 15mins max even if you have to wait for it. The other way you can ski right down to the main road and just de-ski to cross it, although of course if the Corbeau piste is not open (i.e. early and late season) you have to take the chair down first.

To get the most of the area, however, I'd advise one or the other - spend some time exploring the SC, Abondance and Torgon area or the Swiss side under the Dents du Midi for some spectacular views. The latter is best on a sunny day, the former if it's snowy or overcast. Both have more skiing than many might think and are often overlooked by people anxious to complete the circuit.
ski holidays
DJL wrote:
@franga, if you have a car an early start and parking at Ardent would give you loads of time to explore the whole of Chatel, Torgon, La Chapelle (Braitaz) then over to Morgins and round the Swiss side. So long as you get as far as Les Crosets it is one lift (Grand Conche or Mosettes) and then ski all the way back through Lindarets to Ardent.

This is a great suggestion if you don’t mind driving to get a head start
latest report
Just done the Roc D'Enfer circuit this morning. Graydon valley in good nic. Rest of it is hard and mostly man-made but the sun and empty pistes make for an enjoyable trip.
snow conditions
Went over to Switzerland via Cases and made my way to Morgins and back. Found the pistes a bit mixed, but lots of fun still to be had off the sides. Pistes the Avoriaz / Lindarets side were generally very good, particularly off Lac Intrets where they’re excellent.

Last blast tomorrow morning, then evening flight home.
ski holidays
RobMcQ wrote:
Went over to Switzerland via Cases and made my way to Morgins and back. Found the pistes a bit mixed

They've been running the snow cannons pretty much non-stop the last couple of weeks, so yeah, in places it was a bit hard and scraped, but good for practising nice controlled grippy turns.

On a more positive note, my possibly favourite restaurant, Chez Gaby 1670 at Champoussin has a couple of new dishes this year, a slow cooked BBQ pork rib, absolute delicious and huge with >200g meat on it, and a pulled pork dish, not tried yet, also available as variations of their other dishes, e.g. burgers, and of course their legendary Röstis. Could hardly ski after lunch...
snow report
What a difference a day makes. I’ve been ski touring in the Roc d’enfer sector over the last two days. Yesterday there was still light a fluffy powder to be skied. Today everywhere was total mush. It barely froze in Morzine last night and today feels very warm. The föhn has arrived.
latest report
@zzz, yeah yesterday was still very nice snow and not that busy. Unfortunately the outlook is the worst case scenario....50-60mm rain in the forecast for 21-24. Bound to do damage to the thin cover on lower slopes. The only hope for people around is that most of it might fall at night, and of course that the amounts won't be quite as bad as currently forecast. But no escaping a very mild week.

In other disappointing news, La Grand Ourse restaurant on Mont Chery is no more.....they've served the last of the famous Sunday spit roast hog.....owners are still in town but will not be running it anymore, been trying to sell for years.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 19-12-22 14:18; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Looks to be staying warmish right through this week if I’ve understood the charts properly- though signs of it cooling off again next week. We’re not out til 5 Jan so loadsa time for things to change by then.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yeah, it's up and down, temp-wise, over the next few days, but a Föhn it is not. All else apart there is no wind. So no real risk to the snow, and freezing levels mostly around 2000m, more snow and cooler Wed-Thur before slightly warming back up again.
snow report
@polo is the longer-term (27/12 onwards) cooling still a likely outcome? I’m never sure whether the models don’t just trend to the mean after about a week!
snow conditions
@andy from embsay, no it's not always about the climate mean further out....especially 8-14 days out where there is some forecasting skill in the various models.
You're probably looking at GFS which is hinting at cooler NE flow into year end....but other models not on board yet.

21/22 should see some snow below 1800m, interesting that the upper air temps (5000m) dip more than the 1500m temps, so it can be a good sign of snow falling lower than expected, maybe 1500m. But 23-24 will be a write off up to 2300m with wet snow at best.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 19-12-22 15:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@polo, ECM and GEM both also seem to have temps dropping to seasonal average from 28/12, almost spookily so (assuming I’m looking at the right thing).
latest report
Not what I'm seeing, as I look at the means (not Op's) that far out....temp wise GEM is neutral and ECM above average, as they don't have same pressure pattern as GFS.....but yeah depending on dates / runs / model it's not far from seasonal

Think it was end of Nov that GFS was forecasting below average temps out to day 16. In general the further out you go the more likely they'll revert to average, not the case with days 8 -10. And then you have the 42 day model from ECM which will depict above / below temps based on it's pressure charts.....which btw look great for first half of Jan.....but there's not much point in them so far out
snow report
@polo, that’s what I thought I was looking at - the white line on here?

ski holidays
@Chaletbeauroc,

https://www.meteocentrale.ch/en/weather/foehn-and-bise/foehn.html

Strange because the föhn chart says it is and it was windy as f… at 2000m today where I was; plus the wind talker on top of Mossettes is showing the wind as southerly at 40kph. Just saying…

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 19-12-22 16:31; edited 2 times in total
latest report
@polo,

Yep, looks like rain to high levels until Saturday Crying or Very sad
snow report
zzz wrote:
@Chaletbeauroc,

https://www.meteocentrale.ch/en/weather/foehn-and-bise/foehn.html

Strange because the föhn chart says it was and it was windy as f… at 2000m today where I was.

Same over in V. Classic Foehn damage and rocks appearing which weren’t visible yesterday. And zero isotherm at 3500m Shocked
https://www.slf.ch/en/avalanche-bulletin-and-snow-situation.html#snowpack
ski holidays
@andy from embsay, yep white is the mean ensemble forecast and red is the climate (historical) average. But they won’t always match beyond one week.

Cross everything apart from your skis.
ski holidays
polo wrote:
@zzz, yeah yesterday was still very nice snow and not that busy. Unfortunately the outlook is the worst case scenario....50-60mm rain in the forecast for 21-24. Bound to do damage to the thin cover on lower slopes. The only hope for people around is that most of it might fall at night, and of course that the amounts won't be quite as bad as currently forecast. But no escaping a very mild week.

In other disappointing news, La Grand Ourse restaurant on Mont Chery is no more.....they've served the last of the famous Sunday spit roast hog.....owners are still in town but will not be running it anymore, been trying to sell for years.

Real shame that La Grand Ourse is closed. Enjoyed many lunches up there. All the best to Gareth and Ross
snow conditions
Have been out and about in Les Gets/Morzine since the weekend having a great time with ours and another family.

Was super cold when we arrived with minus temps and decent snow, today felt unnaturally warm and all of a sudden brown patches appeared, and the feel of the snow by the afternoon had a very springtime feel to it. Still good enough to ski down to Les Gets and Morzine towns though.

It was weird to feel a warm breeze in your face going up the lifts today, even up to Point De Nyon. Tomorrow promises drizzle, and more rain on Thurs. We'll have to see how it turns out, but may be short days for the rest of the week.

Next week doesn't look too exciting for the Christmas week, there's plenty of snow about but I can imagine it getting quite slushy, with no snow on the horizon.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy