Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil 2022/2023 - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc.

Poster: A snowHead
@swskier, hope you get as much snow elsewhere, already about 5cm here this morning down to lake, freeze level 300m but due to rise later this evening
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@polo, if you can give any insight to Morzine for later end of next week the would be very much appreciated. we arrive next Friday and can not wait!! even if no snow in Morzine town, im assuming by the looks of things, Pleney and Nyon will be full of snow, so a Morzine/Les Gets lift pass will be fine to buy this weekend for when we arrive?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@billy lale, 10+ days away is too far to call the weather, most of the time. But I don’t think there will be any problem with snow cover for M-LG area. There is no sign of heavy rain, or prolonged warm spell, but of course I can’t guarantee that at this range.

If anything the big picture is favorable for the next few weeks, with more arctic outbreaks likely, but maybe the NW alps will miss out….can’t say much more than I’m sure it will be fine.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've just read the Chatel snow report is no longer running, no reason given....shame, was a handy resource
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
polo wrote:
I've just read the Chatel snow report is no longer running, no reason given....shame, was a handy resource

Chas who ran it is heading back to the UK so won’t be in town to do the reports.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@billy lale, Pleney is slated to open at the weekend, they’re running the lifts on the Les Gets side today.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
polo wrote:

I used the reports every time I visited the PdS. Good luck to Chas back in the UK
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
At Plaine Dranse - lift display showing 3°, decidedly drizzle-like stuff falling.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looks like it's going to get alarmingly warm next week in Les Gets (hitting 9C) Shocked

Is that going to have a material impact on the snow cover?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Timmycb5, no I don't think so....will be good snow tonight / tomorrow morning to 1200m, then only a few days of above average temps, before dropping again next thursday and into weekend. Trouble is we are right on the borderline of cold/mild, so I'd be more worried about heavy rain below 1500m than a few days of warmth. In any case there is very little skiing in PdS below 1300m, so even in the worst case I think 80-90% of area will be fine. And best case we remain on the cold side and have snow to the valley right thru xmas.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks @polo,
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Timmycb5 wrote:
Looks like it's going to get alarmingly warm next week in Les Gets (hitting 9C) Shocked

You'll be absolutely fine. The stuff below the Chavannes plateau might be a bit wet / not perfect BUT there's so much skiing above 1,500 metres in the PdS.

Just had a look at the webcams ... Les Gets is such a stunning town (particularly, at night) when there's snow lying on the ground. 4 weeks and counting ...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
All white again on the webcams but cloudy and to my inexpert eye looks like wet snow at village level.

Am I entitled to start looking now? We're heading out 4 weeks today!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DJL, I’ve been looking for a month already and I’m not going for another 6 weeks yet Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@DJL, Not sure about t'other side, but we had perhaps 10-15cm overnight (haven't been out to clear it yet, but it looks about that on the car roofs) and it's falling as snow, albeit very lightly, right now.
ski holidays
franga wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:

You'll be absolutely fine. The stuff below the Chavannes plateau might be a bit wet / not perfect BUT there's so much skiing above 1,500 metres in the PdS.

Just had a look at the webcams ... Les Gets is such a stunning town (particularly, at night) when there's snow lying on the ground. 4 weeks and counting ...

It's a lovely place indeed, it keeps drawing us back, lots to recommend as a family resort. Though it always gets a bit squeaky bum time looking at snow forecasts due to the altitude, I've not been let down yet. (I'm the same as you all, 6 weeks ago, it was 22C and I was cycling through all the weather websites getting excited by every little snowflake!) We're off there tomorrow for a week with some friends who have not skied for a long time, and the town is putting on its best clothes for them which is great. Smile
snow report
@Timmycb5, I thought you were heading out in 6 hours after yesterday's concerns Very Happy

Obviously we'd all like the snowpack to be as good as possible because anything can happen into Jan / Feb.

I'll be ready for first lifts in the morning, it really doesn't get better.....decent base, loads of fresh snow, and I imagine relatively small crowds. Biggest problem on days like this is where to go for first tracks, but life throws up such difficulties from time to time so you just have to commit one way or the other and have no regrets Madeye-Smiley

I'll report back on anything interesting.....but don't have any good news for the run up to xmas, odds on for a relatively mild and dry period.....the mild bit is 80% likely, so fingers crossed it doesn't get too wet (21-24)
ski holidays
@polo, ah no.....we're hoping for a white Christmas in Morzine! as long as there is decent snow in and around Pleney!!
ski holidays
@billy lale, they were running the Pleney gondola (I assume for testing) and there were a few people skiing down (I assume testers) on Wednesday. Morzine was very wet and damp when we left Wednesday teatime but there’s been a bit of extra snow in our garden overnight and it still looks very white at the moment. As @polo says it does look to be getting quite warm between now and xmas, but they’ve made a shedload of snow and at least there seems to be a decent base above 1500m or so.
snow conditions
@andy from embsay, you guys out there providing the updates are the best!!!! thanks!! will check in a few days time Little Angel
ski holidays
@polo, up the Chavannes express, down into the bowl then up La Rosta, then take your pick of gentle, mental or off piste. That’s the standard morning route for me snowHead

God, I can’t wait to get back there.
ski holidays
I'd say the base is solid down to 1200m at least, will take an extraordinary period of bad weather to do any significant damage even lower down within a week, can't see it.

@Timmycb5, yes a good shout to do that black first thing before it gets carved up, then Ranfoilly both sides, and maybe leg it over to Chery Nord for the scraps
snow conditions
@polo, there's definitely worse itineraries! snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Timmycb5 wrote:
@polo, there's definitely worse itineraries! snowHead snowHead
well how about find a place to park near the ice rink, queue to get the season passes at the Mairie, probably repark, and then only queue at chavannes express... Good I'm not after pristine snow!
snow conditions
@patrick!, or just renew your pass online and go straight to the Chavannes Express???
latest report
@polo, Have you skied the red off Mont Chery down to l'Ecrenez? Thinking of wifey's wellbeing (ergo mine!) as we return to the car park there daily. Scale of 1-10, 10 being a really stiff red... Ta.
latest report
@Charliegolf, Marmotte? I’ve done it and I didn’t find it particularly challenging, but I guess it all depends on how confident your other half is?!

The sensible thing to do is to leave your wife with a vin chaud at La Grande Ourse whilst you selflessly go and do a reccy and test it out for size.
latest report
@Timmycb5, Yep, spot on, but I just wondered. She is a tidy skier, but clings to this, "Will I be ok on it?" mindset. We're out 7th Jan, for the first time in the PdS*, so She gets that she will ONLY be going new places in the first few days. She's really looking forward to the trip to be fair.

*Our 7th and 8th days of skiing were at Avoriaz- lot of snow under the skis since!

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 16-12-22 16:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Timmycb5, @polo, PS (sorry) Can you come up from L'Encrenaz to the top of M. Chery, then ski down to the Ourson blue? There seems to be no track off the top... Ta.

No more Qs: realise I'm drifting the snow talk...

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 16-12-22 16:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Charliegolf, I can't remember if you can cut across to Ourson or not (Polo will have more detailed knowledge) but Chamois (the red at the top of the Chery Nord) is lovely. I'm not really sure why it's a red really. Lovely wide cruisey run.
snow report
@Timmycb5, That's great, Ta. Chamois seems to go all the way to LG, so ideal.
snow report
@Charliegolf,
Marmottes on the back size of Mt Cherry (Cherry Nord) actually splits at the start of it and has two pistes down the first section (or pitch).
The first pitch is a bit steeper but wider… if you keep going there is a 2nd turn and a slightly different start/pitch.
The 2nd pitch is a bit narrower but less steep.
Neither are particularly difficult but……
Cherry Nord is on the shaded side of the mountain so does not soften up much and can be ‘firm’ or even icy at times. I’ve skied it, boarded it and hiked it. On the board with one edge at times it needs concentration.
The other things to think about is
1) don’t put the Mrs down it on a bad viz day especially if it’s The first time she does it.
2) if she tired and it’s late in the day it will be harder.

My a Cherry is a fab mountain and be a real confidence builder. It’s soo quiet, a smooth red even a bit icy can be better than a chopped up and busy blue.

Mt Cherry stays quiet (don’t tell too many people how good it is or post how good it is on some sort of skiing forum or anything like that).

Scale no for Marmottes is a 6, or in firm and icy times a 6 or 7. It widens up and mellows out lots after the first pitch and is fairly short as the total altitude drop on CherybNord side is not massive.
snow report
Arrived in Morzine at lunchtime for a long weekend visit. Visibility was crap all afternoon, but there’s good snow and pretty much everything seemed to be running this afternoon. I went up super Morzine and then tried to stay in the tree lined runs. Quiet today. Weather forecast much better tomorrow, so expecting it to be busy.
ski holidays
@Charliegolf,
Yep, from parking at Col d’ Encrenaz take Chery Nord Chair then it’s more or less straight ahead to get onto Ourson.
There is a steep pitch to get started on Ourson (just above the La Grand Ourse restaurant but it’s wide at that point).

Going back to the Q) about about Marmottes and the Mrs.

Suggestion : encourage her to ski it earlier in the day and don’t make it the last run of the day the 1st time she skis it.

If she has skied it earlier in the day whilst her legs are strong and in a good mindset then she will likely have more confidence later in the day to ski it back to the car.

Have a great trip.

P.S. Lesley Page from Bass ski school or Ali Gibb from TSi ski school are world leading female ski instructors/coaches and are local to that area.

All the best.
latest report
@RobMcQ,
I’m guessing you know that area well but Pre La Joux or Linga should be in great Nick tomorrow.

La Leiche small restaurant/coffee spot with the open fire on the right hand side of Linga steep red Piste is a great spot to hunt out.
ski holidays
@@247snowman, Another great and helpful post: can't wait.

As an aside to those who responded, we'll have the car, so can always drive to LG or Morzine if she's anything other than comfortable on those particular slopes. slopes.
snow conditions
@Charliegolf, yep @@247snowman knows the score. Chery Nord red is well known and rated, but I’d just be a bit wary if it’s icy and lacking fresh cover. I have a video somewhere of my intermediate once a year mate sliding down the top section, on his back. No harm done apart from belly aches.

It’s a great run but it’s up there with Chamoisiere red for difficulty/ pitch. Joins the blacks at the bottom so you get people hooning down.

And yeah easy enough to cross over to blue / red on front side
snow conditions
@Charliegolf, echoing earlier comment about taking the second entry to the Marmotte Red run. We often used that if we had visitors and the top looked a bit slick or scraped off. I tended to always carry on at the bottom and join the last bit of the black, which you need to do to access the cafe on the right.
ski holidays
@@247snowman, thanks for the info. Yes, I know the PLJ area well. It’s probably my favourite bit of the PdS. I’m planning to head that way tomorrow and might even venture across to Torgon.
snow report
What do folks think the furthest segment a family of 4 very strong piste skiers could get to in a day from Les Gets is (need to get back too obviously)? I think I’ve only been as far as Les Crosets but I do fancy venturing a bit further into the Swiss sector. Thanks.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy