Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil 2022/2023 - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc.

Poster: A snowHead
I live in Embsay @DJL, but am actually an exiled Lancastrian/Cumbrian. I also used to climb at Crookrise, Eastby and Deer Gallows (one of the reasons we moved there), but more likely to be seen on a bike (or possibly a Wattbike!) these days.

I think Ron Fawcett was also an Embsay lad - though he was a bit better than me…
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@andy from embsay, Ron Fawcett was one of my heroes in my youth and we occasionally bumped into him at one of the crags where we were psyching up for a tricky Hard Severe and he was doing something ridiculous. I’m from Riddlesden so gritstone closest but we did get further afield - Yorks limestone, Peak, Wales, Lakes. Mostly trail running, orienteering and bike for me now.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DJL wrote:
@andy from embsay, Ron Fawcett was one of my heroes in my youth and we occasionally bumped into him at one of the crags where we were psyching up for a tricky Hard Severe and he was doing something ridiculous. I’m from Riddlesden so gritstone closest but we did get further afield - Yorks limestone, Peak, Wales, Lakes. Mostly trail running, orienteering and bike for me now.

Ron is a legend - see him regularly at the climbing works in Sheffield. Lovely fella - always happy to offer advice.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Still raining at 1300m in Petit Chatel. Can’t see a snowline. Point du Saix (1600m) is visible and no snow on the trees there, much higher and it’s into the clouds around 1800m so snowline must be above that.

Morclan webcam is in the sun above the cloud and looks like a fair bit of fresh up there. https://app.webcam-hd.com/chatel/morclan

Think I might have been looking at an old shot from Morclan. Looks a bit grim up there now I have refreshed!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 8-03-23 13:14; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As others have said there has been a shift in expected temps on sat, following the friday low tracking a little more NW-SE. Nice to be wrong in the right way for a change. Mean temps drop from a previous +5 to around +1 but still likely to climb into sun/mon. But like today it seems to warm up very early on sat morning after some good overnight snow.

Tues mixed picture, 2 or 3 very good runs (UKMO, GFS) but a few less enthusiastic models as well.

Few pics from this morning.....first lift, corduroy and the new stick smashing thru the little freshies. Made a nice difference to the pistes, but getting scraped in places already.
Was quite busy around 10ish given the light rain.

snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@polo, Excellent stuff - glad you're getting something - and the lift looks empty in that photo - whats the board?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@elefantfresh, yep there was literally no one else at chavannes mid station at 9am, waited patiently for the liftie to come out and open the gates.

It's a Bateleon Whatever....turns out that little tail indent is also handy for standing the board up, less falling over, as least when I'm not riding it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@polo, Just had a read up on that - sounds like a fun board - I'm sticking to the Pig for now though - did have a go on the Yes Typo while in Morzine and really liked it very much.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi, we're off to Avoriaz on Sunday for (hopefully) 5 days skiing. We're flying into Geneva on Sunday morning arriving around 11am, hiring a car, and then driving up. Fully aware of the Snow tyres/Snow chains arguments and all the associated bad weather preps. In one way I'm hoping for these to be necessary, but in another could do without that aggro.

Question is, what's the best route? Is there a 'sunny day quick' route and a different 'piddling down with rain/snow so stick to the main roads' route?

Google maps is suggesting cross country on the D907/D902. Left to my own devices I'd probably stick on the A40 and come off at Cluses.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Personally I'd stick with the Google maps route, via Cluses just adds a mountain pass to the mix.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mixed day and cut short at 3pm. Positives, early chavannes just after 9 made first hour fun with little bit of fresh. Think bashers might have been given the night off though.
On down side, rain pretty much on and off all day no matter what level. Top of ranfoilly windy but temperatures still few degrees above zero, bit colder with chill. Snow level must be 2000m plus I’m guessing.
Few locals saying should be improving tomorrow with no precipitation although temps could rise to 10 in town. Friday snow line could be lower but doesn’t look like being village level but possible 20cm plus higher up.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
doddsie wrote:
Personally I'd stick with the Google maps route, via Cluses just adds a mountain pass to the mix.

Err, no, I don't think it does. The other route proposed by Google just takes you on back roads to Tanninges, anything resembling mountain driving is between there and les Gets, so will be the same either way, and I can't recall anything that would be called a mountain pass.

I'd probably go via Cluses as well, better shopping at the Carrefour there than in Morzine, although it adds a few minutes onto the driving time.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rinky75 wrote:
Mixed day and cut short at 3pm. Positives, early chavannes just after 9 made first hour fun with little bit of fresh. Think bashers might have been given the night off though.
On down side, rain pretty much on and off all day no matter what level. Top of ranfoilly windy but temperatures still few degrees above zero, bit colder with chill. Snow level must be 2000m plus I’m guessing.
Few locals saying should be improving tomorrow with no precipitation although temps could rise to 10 in town. Friday snow line could be lower but doesn’t look like being village level but possible 20cm plus higher up.

Can I ask how much of Les Gets runs are skiable still please?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Would say anything above chavannes lift that’s open are fine though better last few days before the snow/rain. How much longer they will survive is the unknown, if weekend brings snow then be great, if rain, going to struggle.

Runs back to les gets getting slushy and sticky.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@doddsie, @Chaletbeauroc, Yes, the two 'southern' routes I was considering both end up at Taninges, and then up past Les Gets to Morzine before tackling the final climb up to Avoriaz.

There is also a northern route following the southern bank of Lake Geneva on the D1005 and then heading south to Morzine on the D902. I'd discounted that route because it involves piling through the middle of Geneva and no doubt getting lost.
latest report
Been going between snow and rain all day in Avoriaz. Village got some much needed snow on the ground - it was getting quite bare.

I always take the back roads to Tanninges - typically same time as going via A40 until Cluses and a few euros cheaper. There's a hill between Cluses and Tanninges but it'll probably be all rain on Sunday anyways.

I'm driving down from Avoriaz Saturday morning - should I expect mandatory snow chains? Seems to be a fair bit of snow coming up here on Fri/overnight, but likely rain down in Morzine.
ski holidays
rinky75 wrote:
Would say anything above chavannes lift that’s open are fine though better last few days before the snow/rain. How much longer they will survive is the unknown, if weekend brings snow then be great, if rain, going to struggle.

Runs back to les gets getting slushy and sticky.

Thanks very much mate.
snow report
@Judwin,
I assume you’re hiring on the Swiss side? If so I’d take the motorway to Cluses as others have suggested. Easier if it’s raining. If you’ve hired from the French side then you won’t have a Swiss motorway sticker, which makes going that route slightly risky; in which case it’s just as easy going via Thonon.

I can’t imagine you’ll have issues with snow (if at all) until you’re halfway up the road between Morzine and Avoriaz.
snow conditions
@judwin if you've got winter tyres on the car, you've got nothing to worry about. I was out here in Jan when the last decent dump arrived and had no problems driving to & from Ardent car park from Montriond each day on winter tyres. As it is at the moment, summer tyres will be fine in the valley Shocked
snow conditions
@rondo101,
Judwin is going to Avoriaz, although I guess he/she/they might be parking at Prodain.
snow report
Strong winds and heavy rain in Avoriaz at the moment... Hopefully we see the turn to snow soon!
snow conditions
zzz wrote:
@rondo101,
Judwin is going to Avoriaz, although I guess he/she/they might be parking at Prodain.

Ah, missed the post where he said that - with no malice intended, I hope the road up to Avoriaz does get some snow saturday or the prospect of skiing is going to be grim. Assuming the gritters aren't on strike (?), the road should be cleared as a major thoroughfare and a car equipped with snow tyres should be ok getting through on sunday, non?
latest report
Quote:

Snow level must be 2000m plus I’m guessing.

I can confirm that the ppn wasn't properly snow till at least half way up the Cases lift at 3.30 this afternoon, and I believe the top is at 2200m?
snow report
Avoriaz and chatel were great fun today. Honestly it’s been a good laugh all week with plenty to ride but was great to smash about in real snow. Choppy and icey at the back end but a bit of a top up and it’ll be spot on. Was surprisingly quiet but that may be down to the visibility being a bit on the shabby side
ski holidays
Feeling a bit more optimistic that the upper slopes will survive next week. Certainly seems plenty of snow coming. Just hope it stays on the cooler side
ski holidays
@rondo101, probably ok getting through but the Gendarmes might insist on snow chains unless 4x4
snow report
snowline should drop below 1800m tonight but I wouldn't expect a huge amount there, mostly above 2000, turning dry and mild tomorrow

fri-sat keep improving, anywhere from 25-50cm at 1500m (some models even more), with snow down to 1000m overnight. Sun-mon warmer but not too bad rain wise....

Really look like avoiding the worst case scenarios seen a few days ago, and turning it into possibly the biggest fall of the season....I know, what season, bar is low
ski holidays
Here’s the SLF readout which looks miles better than a couple of days ago!

Already at avi 4 Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rondo101 wrote:
zzz wrote:
@rondo101,

Ah, missed the post where he said that - with no malice intended, I hope the road up to Avoriaz does get some snow saturday or the prospect of skiing is going to be grim. Assuming the gritters aren't on strike (?), the road should be cleared as a major thoroughfare and a car equipped with snow tyres should be ok getting through on sunday, non?

Swiss side car, so should have snow tyres and a vignette. Intending to park in Avoriaz itself, in one of the underground car parks. We're hoping to ski on Friday before heading back to Geneva for a 9PM flight home, so looking for a quick get away. One of our group is a 20 year lapsed skier, who only has 2 weeks under his belt anyway, so I'm not comfortable asking him to ski down to Prodains on the last day.

Snowforcast.com is currently giving us a dry weather window for most of Sunday, so providing the snow ploughs aren't on strike on Friday/Saturday I'd hope they'll have done their stuff and we'll get a clear run. What could possibly go wrong! rolling eyes
ski holidays
Judwin wrote:
One of our group is a 20 year lapsed skier, who only has 2 weeks under his belt anyway, so I'm not comfortable asking him to ski down to Prodains on the last day.

He could get the gondola down to Prodains if you park there.
ski holidays
Kids got soaked this afternoon in LG - and apparently Chavannes Express is really slow. We didn't venture down on Saturday but I assume they do this since the end of Paris hols in order to save.
snow conditions
Sometimes the ski lifts slow down when there's strong winds - could have been the case today.

@Judwin I'm heading down sometime Saturday, will report here on how it goes.
snow report
Been on it last 4 days and no issues. Occasionally slows down for few seconds, assuming for ski school to get on/off. If you look across at speed of Croix lift now that is slow.
Sadly been raining heavily last few hours in town.
First time in Les Gets in winter (plenty of summer cycling) and would say biggest issue is number of lifts that need upgrading and none with screens - first world problems but apart from that loved runs down into bowl and red down to Prerriere (sp?)
ski holidays
Well I’ve taken the plunge and bought PDS passes for tomorrow in the “Flash Sale”. Only €1 more than a 5 hour Chatel pass so as long as I can get out for a few hours it’s OK.

At least some forecasts are showing the rain stopping in the day tomorrow. Still 5C on the balcony in Petit Chatel.
snow conditions
Absolutely pi$$ing down. I’m off to bed to think positive thoughts.
ski holidays
Still heavy rain in Avoriaz. Ouch, should have started snowing ages ago. Tomorrow might be much worse than anticipated.
latest report
Quote:

Still heavy rain in Avoriaz

Sad Sad
snow report
Yeah, La Croix is a hog. Quite chuffed our younger one can now manage the Teleski des Cretes to get to the bowl if we're in Chavannes.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Still heavy rain in Avoriaz

Sad Sad
Surely that wasn't the plan. But hopefully the Saturday deluge won't materialize and there'll be something left for Sunday.
snow conditions
Cloudy but much higher cloud. Looking onto Mont Chauffe it looks as only the top part has fresh snow so around 1800m+. At least the rain has stopped.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy