Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and Tignes-Val D'Isere (formerly Espace Killy) 2022/3. Useful links on Page 1

Poster: A snowHead
Right then, I'll not get involved with the politics (I get enough earache from the Student's Union in Apres!)

So, lets start with some fun facts on snow depths in this drought season. This morning's official snow depths were 150cm in Lac and 399cm up on the Motte, the average over the last 22 years for the end of the second week in March is 135 in Lac and 218 on the Motte. It just so happens that this week of about peak depth week. Obvs I know that down below its much worse and there are all sorts of conclusions about climate change one could draw. Perhaps the most obvious conclusion is come on holiday to Tignes (or Val - until we pull the drawbridge up).

Right today started (at 6.30 Shocked ) as cold and windy but the wind dropped quite quickly although there was still a very stiff breeze at altitude through the day and spindrift blowing off the peaks (very pretty). The sun was out and it got warm in the sun, but the air temp was barely above freezing at 3pm in Lac. The avalanche activity was crazy (I have not heard of any major incidents yet, but I wouldn't be surprised. There was quite a lot of avalanches over tracks made earlier in the day (Chardo below Croix de Bruno, Petite Balme etc. The pisteurs also set a huge one off using some kind of artillery above Double M (I bumped into a mate whose wife is a pisteur (pisteuse?), I didnt know we had that sort of kit out here in Tignes. So yes a lot of people were taking a lot of risks. There were also lots of followers without kit. No, after you. We encountered just about everything form perfect powder, much was very wind compacted and below 2200m there was a horrible crust below, presumably where it rained. We had competing forces in the group today, latterly when some went to lunch the rest of us went high - bingo the best conditions. I also saw a pisteur remonstrate with one of the Guides form the Bureau de Guides as he took his clients down the track reserved for skinning up, no one is exempt from the rooools!

Oh, there were a few lifts shut for the wind and avi work which probably meant staff could be deployed to keep the others open, I think only Combe Folle was shut because of the strike, and there are more buses running than last time. @Steveee, I can't see any strikes planned for next week (apart from one group of teachers) - thanks for the comments BTW

Right, tomorrow, spring is back. It will be mostly sunny, perhaps a thin veil of cloud. But it will be 10 degs warmer by the middle of the afternoon as we drag warm air up from the Med! The winds will be very light, so the pistes will soften up in the sun and the terraces will be busy and if your in the Escale Blanche, get one of the comedy sombreros to protect the delicate skin! Friday will be mainly sunny with a few fluffy clouds and another degree warmer. Saturday day will look the same as Friday but light showers will come after dark, maybe a bit moist in Brev. Sunday - probably a mix of sunny spells and light showers. There is no avi bulletin for tomorrow, as they are on strike today, a bit less than today perhaps but still dangerous, and springtime slips in the afternoon.

Right, I'm now off to the Marie for a ceremony in honour of Ali Ross to thank him for bringing clients to Tignes for n years where n is a big number. N may become an actual number later.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Kennyboyo, Yeah it is - no change, if its rammed there is also the new and bigger Moose just up the gallery from The Marmottes
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
chocksaway wrote:
@Kennyboyo, Yeah it is - no change, if its rammed there is also the new and bigger Moose just up the gallery from The Marmottes

I say fantastic, I'm such a lightweight, 3 pints will do me of an evening. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@chrisbristol,
Join the 'Tignes Seasonnaires 2023' group on Facebook. Come September/October ask on there who's available (it'll probably have morphed into the 2024 group by then, but membership will still be the same).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Saw the avi control guys blast a slope dead opposite our apartment in 1800 while we were having porridge.
Later on they did 3 blasts around the Cugnai lift.
But of a treat for me because we don't normally get to see these guys at work.
The playground under Cascades was beautiful. We would have had more time to play there but my two mates got lost going down Face! How?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
gixxerniknik wrote:
Saw the avi control guys blast a slope dead opposite our apartment in 1800 while we were having porridge.
Later on they did 3 blasts around the Cugnai lift.
But of a treat for me because we don't normally get to see these guys at work.
The playground under Cascades was beautiful. We would have had more time to play there but my two mates got lost going down Face! How?

Yea and the results of the Cugnai blasting were as follows... also check out my insta as got a vid of the av coming down from the 'Folie' Catex too this am.

... as they didnt open the Cugnai today (until they have pisted it tonight / tomorrow am) ill be heading that way tomorrow am for sure.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

just to the left of Cugnai
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
N is greater than 40! A great speech from the Mayor (except he called Ali English - can't have it all). The first British instructor in Tignes, who blazed the trail for the many British instructors today. Aime Favre (Evo2) also gave a moving speech.

I was also chatting to an instructor who had to dig someone out from the hole caused by a spring just after you have taken off on Tommeuses, till last week there was a big puddle in the bottom of it. Number one fell in the hole and number followed and brought a cornice down on top of Number One who was buried up to his neck. They dug him out (pisteurs now arrived) and he then asked if they would help him dig his skis out. I think the reply was Jog On on words to that effect!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just got this one but missed the last one.

snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
may have got those last two the wrong way round!.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 15-03-23 22:06; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

this morning
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Some amazing pictures there! Conditions were great today, understandably it was incredibly busy this morning but by 1 it was far more pleasant with manageable queues. Highlights for me were playing in col de ves and hitting the powder around Grattalu this afternoon into the big park that's currently closed. Any news on the grand motte cable car? It's shown as repairing all week?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
https://www.facebook.com/reel/1901088363577849/?s=single_unit
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kenzie wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/reel/1901088363577849/?s=single_unit

Thats yesterday - possibly from PIDA (possibly)?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No not from PIDA sorry but yesterday i think
snow conditions
Well spring is here, heralded by me changing form my black helmet to a white one. It was warm with much consolidation of the snow going on. There were still some big avalanches around, the most notable being a huge full depth one that crossed the traverse to the "Jardins du Borsat" off piste area (and not far from the infamous green mogul run from the top of Borsat). I don't know if it had had some 'help' from the pisteurs or was just from heating in the morning sun.

We set off with a view to doing Pays Desert, the pistes everywhere down to 1800m are fine or even great. Being later in the week Le Fornet was busy but we stuck with it and the first run down was mostly tracked but eagle eyes spotted some untouched pitches. By this stage the queue for the Cascades Chair was not for a group of Englishmen so we hopped into the restaurant of the same name for an early lunch. Clearly, most of the holiday makers had not got the email about goinf to lunch at 1230, the queue was still big but not enormous. So, instead of traversing from the drop off point of the T bar we 'Hi-hoed' up to beyond the top pylon to access the semi tracked pitches. A variety of conditions, softening sastrugi, hard pack on the ridges, and compacted fresh snow in the gullies - hardly powder though. But it was still most enjoyable. I suspect tomorrow will be a different story as those sastrugi that were softening in todays heat will be rock hard after a freeze overnight.

We tracked home via the Solaise, unfortunately Pim or Pam was not playing so a huge queue for the magic carpet, but short of bootpacking there is little or no option from there with L closed. A quick whip down Trolles which was in great condition finished a good day.

Tonight will not be as cold as last night, not far below zero in the villages and tomorrow will be a couple of degrees up today. It should start sunny but expect a high veil of cloud to develop during the day. There will be a stiff breeze at all heights which will consolidate the snow and help clear the paths in these warm temps. Saturday will be a little cooler and there may be some light showers late in the afternoon/evening depending on how a weak weather feature develops. Sunday will be a wait and see, some models have showers all day others have a nice day, with later showers. Monday mmm, almost anything really but probably OK.

Breaking news: from GeorgeVII who must be sat on a terrace in the sun. He has just watched 4 people being winched form the fingers above the lake (Couloirs de Tufs).
ski holidays
Fab day, wonderful piste snow in the morning, and even.t
Meat around off Borsat and then down to La.Daille in the morning, then oberbto Tignes up to the GM, base (put off by the GM cable car queue, down Genepi and late lunch at the superb Tignes Cuisine in Le Lac.
Was goosed after lunch so headed home, the ski down black to La Daille was lovely at 3pm
Catching the 8.50 Olympic was so worth it.
ski holidays
Apparently there were two slides at the bottom of Double M today. Caught on film by a tiktok user. ( I don't have an account so can't post a link)
ski holidays
@gixxerniknik, That was yesterday, to quote GeorgeVII "Is that why they call it Mountain Shaker?" Shocked

I think I might have been running quicker than some of those workers on the jumps.
ski holidays
@chocksaway, ah, old news...sorry!
ski holidays
The new webcam gives a great view of the three upper villages:- https://tignes.roundshot.com/chaudannes/#/
snow conditions
@Kenzie, No more naked sunbathing on the balcony then wink

A day of shopping and niff naff today. It was a balmy 7 degs at breakfast that is going to be a developing theme next week as overnight temps hover around zero. It was very spring like in Bourg, but I did top up with fuel just in case the strikes over pension reform kick off badly, after the ritual burning of cars in Paris last night. The Unions have announced another General Strike, next Thursday the 23rd, so inter village buse may be in short supply and the odd lift may be closed.

This week did seem quieter and next week the Tarentaise is expecting 25k vehicles arriving and 27k leaving tomorrow, so it might be a bit busy on the way down. However, tomorrow marks the start of European Snow Pride which has been sold out for weeks so Tignes may be a bit busier - it will certainly be lively in Val Claret on the Apres side of things.

Tomorrows weather will much like this afternoon, a thin veil of high cloud, it will be a few degrees cooler though, but still springlike. Sunday will start another couple of degrees cooler with sunny spells in the morning and light showers in the afternoon, if you catch one it may be light drizzle in Val Centre and below, but nothing to be too concerned about. Monday will be mainly sunny with hardly a breeze, glorious. Tuesday looks like being. warm with a few fluffy clouds punctuating the blue. The avi risk remains 3, but with the relatively high night time temperatures and warm days in the sun watch out for springtime avalanches, not a week to be under steep cliffs after lunch as the snow gets heavier.

No snags on the roads tomorrow from the weather. For those flying, benign over here but heavy showers in the UK could make it a damp walk across the car park. They could be just heavy enough at Edinburgh, Leeds and Bristol to cause some delays as the cloud base and visibility drop. But they'll soon pass through. Likewise in the afternoon they could develop into thunderstorms and cause the odd whizz round the hold for those heading home.
ski holidays
@chocksaway,
Thought you 'sunbathed' on the roof? Cool
latest report
Another great day in the sun today, very warm so quite soft lower down. Despite the travel issues at the start we've had a fantastic week, thanks to @chocksaway for the insider knowledge!
latest report
@Kenzie, They added a new layer which made it more difficult to get out! Took me quite a while to fix the ceiling where someone had kicked it....
snow conditions
Fatality in Tignes avi today I’m hearing about. Any info?
snow conditions
@Dr John, west side of col des Ves from what I’ve heard on the grapevine.
snow report
https://www.ledauphine.com/amp/faits-divers-justice/2023/03/17/un-homme-de-48-ans-decede-dans-une-avalanche-a-tignes

Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
5 skiers, 2 buried, 1 died (48yo man). 4 survivors all flown to hospital but are unharmed. Palet sector.
snow conditions
Just back from a meal out to discover this, so nothing more on the grapevine. RIP.
latest report
A quick day whizzing round the pistes of Val and Tignes. There was a chill in the air but the sun was strong. The pistes were hard early doors and those out of the sun stayed hard. Don't mention Arcelle! Oh and thanks to the Val Lifties who let us on The Bellvarde Express and then closed the Loyes for lunch when we were half way up the first one! So we had to do part of Face for the second time.

Tomorrow will be quite a lot cooler with light showers all day, they may be drizzle below the Dam, but there will be sunny periods, so a day to be flexible and to have one more layer on! Monday will be a bit warmer and mostly sunny with perhaps a few clouds from lunchtime onwards. Tuesday and Wednesday will be 2 peas in a pod, warm, sunny with a few fluffy clouds.

Not a lot to bother the fliers tomorrow, just a slim chance of a thunderstorm at Lyon in the afternoon.
snow report
@chocksaway,

Snap! We had a trip around the resort taking in many of our favourite pistes before retiring due to tired legs Laughing

Firm pistes, soft pistes and slushy pistes all as you would expect due to the warm weather.

Trying to spot the first marmotte of the summer, hopefully this coming week
ski holidays
@chocksaway, Archelle is worth it about twice a season, if that.
latest report
Oh I love Arcelle - ski it reasonably often... but its a work of art getting timing right in the Spring time especially... and being so much vertical on it its nigh on impossible. However on the flip side be in the vicinity after a large dump and its your private power run / lift back up!
latest report
Am in Tignes this week. Sadly my partner's back has gone so it looks like he won't be able to ski. He certainly won't be on the slopes today. Is there anyone around who fancies linking up for a ski? I'm comfortable on all reds and will get down blacks (although it might not always be fast or stylish Very Happy )

Drop me a line here or a PM if you fancy a ski.
snow report
@sugarmoma666, as a man what se hack has gone on day 1, my sympathies to you both
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
@sugarmoma666, as a man what se hack has gone on day 1, my sympathies to you both

It went on the last few hundred metres walk to the hotel on arrival Sad
snow report
More indigo neo problems! Arriving into Val Claret about 01:00 tomorrow morning with a hire car, so haven't been able to book without a reg, and now GM and Golf both full... Anyone know any other way to park in VC? (Only for 2 days) Puzzled
latest report
Steve Angus wrote:
but its a work of art getting timing right

Guessing you have more reason to ski it than I, and vastly more experienced at the timing game. It's always fun, however, watching people tumble down it from the lift after an off-piste run.
snow report
I've got to say, if it's not slushy porridge then Arcelle is a great run IMO. Normally empty so you can really have fun down there.

I once was on the chair lift coming back up when I saw an ESF instructor (with group) lose a ski on the black next to it and slide an awful long way on the company uniform with his ski way ahead of him, did I laugh!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy