Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and Tignes-Val D'Isere (formerly Espace Killy) 2022/3. Useful links on Page 1

Poster: A snowHead
Go Luca!!!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Steve Angus wrote:
Go Luca!!!!
Puzzled

It's Zak Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Road currently blocked near the Dechetterie just above the Brev turn off, lorry and bus come together. Should be clear soon according to Twitter
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stewart woodward wrote:
Steve Angus wrote:
Go Luca!!!!
Puzzled

It's Zak Very Happy

Doh sorry I knew that. I was looking at Luca low 30's FIS Sl results yesterday so thought it was him.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chocksaway wrote:
Road currently blocked near the Dechetterie just above the Brev turn off, lorry and bus come together. Should be clear soon according to Twitter

Police and ambulances from Val gone down already. Road down backed up to La Daille already. It's moving but virtually stand still
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Traffic trickling downhill now, @GeorgeVII is in the queue uphill.

Only 300 strikers with Brollies at Albertville demo so far, maybe they won't have the mass to block the road....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The police are stopping all vehicles heading downhill at the La Daille roundabout and are trying to persuade people to park up in the La Daille car park.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
chocksaway wrote:
Absolute madness this morning, and a little disappointing off piste (but not surprising!). After all the banging and crashing from the pisteurs whilst chomping on the porridge, it was clearly a day for caution. I did a slow 360 in front of the Maison and there were avalanches on all aspects, thanks to the swirling winds last night (up to 150kph at altitude). Most were on the North and North-east faces. So there was lots of clues, I did a quick recce down Palafour before meeting the team, by the sides of the piste it was freshtracks but maybe 15cm of consolidated heavy snow thanks to the wind, the temperature and the rain last night. The pisteurs had blasted (I think) Couloirs du Lac du Chardonnet and it had propagated big time. Given its orientation, I met with the gang and we placed bets how long it would be before someone triggered Chardo Classique. As we rode back up Palafour the first two down Chardo triggered a big slide and got the washing machine treatment, but extricated themselves. As they were catching breath another team set off from the top and triggered again right above where the first 2 lucky guys were stood who had to ski out of the path of it! had the snow been another 10cm deeper it would have been a different story. I rode up Merles with FreeFloFoss who was videoing the carnage (probably on you tube later) when we got to the top the queue for the entry to Chardo and The Aiguillettes was huge......

This sounds insane. If those videos circulate online you might kindly post.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have put some photos up on my insta of the queues to leave Val....
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Steve Angus wrote:

How do we find your Instagram? I tried going to the web address in your signature but that seems to be broken. (It forwards to a strange web address to do with fruit and chalets.)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Steve Angus wrote:

How do we find your Instagram? I tried going to the web address in your signature but that seems to be broken. (It forwards to a strange web address to do with fruit and chalets.)

Weird re the link...

Anyway I'm on instageam under @SteveAngusSnow
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Road is open with one lane now - still massive queues. Nothing happening at Albertville - the demo has occupied the Bus Station, maybe because it has covered walkways (cynic - moi Cool )
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

Nothing has moved in Val for over 2hrs.
Hope the Bens bus passengers have left plenty of time
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
muppet wrote:

Nothing has moved in Val for over 2hrs.
Hope the Bens bus passengers have left plenty of time

Yes stationary from brev still both ways. Will be while yet b4 movement on the road.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Road moving in / out again by looks of things.
ski holidays
As of 1220, the N90 is now blocked by the protesters, but the roads into Tignes are now much clearer, nearly black.
latest report
Had a bit of a ski from the Tichot, busy with a mixture of people who could not cope with the conditions and those who delighted in making more it difficult for the former and a few of us trying to do the right thing. I think we can describe the conditions as Scottish weather. Ironically if it had been like this at Glencoe, we would have stuck with it.
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
As of 1220, the N90 is now blocked by the protesters, but the roads into Tignes are now much clearer, nearly black.

Doh
latest report
Police have cleared the protestors in Albertville.
snow report
Well that was quite the 24 hours in a life in the Alps! Snow, rain, wind, dodgems (or really bumper cars) and strikes - what a transfer day. One of those days that folks are going to be talking about for years. It was quite snowy in Lac, then it was raining whilst we were in the Jam Bar, the wind was howling after lunch. With just a few local lifts open, there was a few hardy souls out there, but the lack of vis and wet snow meant Day 1 of mates hol was seen from inside the apartment.

As there are now 2 games of rugby to watch, its a bit of an early forecast, but the only source not up to date is the avi risk, But it will almost certainly be 4 and very complicated. Stay safe tomorrow, those lucky folks last Thursday would not be so lucky tomorrow with the depths of snow. The next 4 days is going to be a meteorological roller coaster - hang on tight.

The snow will continue lightly into tomorrow and will stop mid morning or so and be replaced with sunny spells, maybe a veil of high cloud in the afternoon. Monday will be scorchio (7 or 8 degs warmer than Sunday) and nice during the day, but with quite strong winds, so a bit of a snow gobbler. After lift closure, it will cloud over and light showers will start, snow in Lac, drizzle in Brev. The temperatures will drop back on Tuesday for a day of fast moving snow showers and sunny spells, the top lifts will be shut. Wednesday, maybe snowy, but it will be windy, anybodies guess really.

For the fliers tomorrow, a bit bumpy in the UK, no snags over here.
snow report
Currently sat on a Jet2 flight at BHX waiting to depart for Chambery... at some point. Our 13:15 departure is currently delayed to 17:20 at last count due to ATC issues in France. It's gonna be a long one.
ski holidays
@HandyHand, Unfortunately you are not alone, there's lots of delays due to ATC, others have arrived early at Chambery, seemingly a raffle. Still loads of new snow for you!

Looks like we have gad another bus crash in Val Claret, lots of blue lights and road closed...
snow report
Quote:

Looks like we have gad another bus crash in Val Claret, lots of blue lights and road closed...

Sad
latest report
@chocksaway, no doubt, one of our party is flying from Manchester and (thankfully?) is similarly delayed. Hope no-one was hurt in the bus crash, and that it's cleared before we arrive!
snow report
Steve Angus wrote:
chocksaway wrote:

Police and ambulances from Val gone down already. Road down backed up to La Daille already. It's moving but virtually stand still

I was in a coach coming down a few hundred metres behind the truck unfortunately. Eventually I got frustrated of not knowing what was going down so asked the bus driver if I could get out and walk to see what was causing the delay.

When I got there I saw what looked like an incredibly innocuous crash. Looked like the coach's mirror just clipped the truck slightly. No reason for them to both block the road in both directions on a snowy transfer day and send four police cars, a fire truck and an ambulance to the scene if no-one was injured.

Saw the aftermath of a few strikers being rounded up on the highway coming into Annecy in the opposite direction but looked like they were just about ready to reopen that road when we passed.

Rest of the journey was fine though inbound flight was delayed 90 minutes so still waiting in Geneva. Hopefully the outbound flight doesn't get even more affected by the atc strike.

On a snow note, should be very nice for the new arrivals this week once it stops snowing. Was white a lot further down the valley than when I arrived.
latest report
Nightmare transfer day. Flight delayed from gatwick by almost 2 hours, missed scheduled bus so waiting on the next one which is late due to snow/protests and the driver needing his 45 minute break unlikely to leave Geneva till 6:30 at this rate, not fun.
ski holidays
Got back Thursdays night , it looks like we avoided most of the carnage .
We did have our own issues . Didn't realise French Air traffic control were on strike and received a Easyjet E-mail Wednesday afternoon saying our Thursday Lyon flight had been cancelled. Just thought is was one of those generic EJ e-mails so ignored it , so after skiing and last night Apres finally noticed the e-mail was alot more serious .
We were a little bit merry but this soon sobered us up . EJ call centre closed in 15 minutes and we couldn't get through , the Swap your flight option on the EJ app/website was useless as we could only select another French airport ( no point if the are on strike ) .Added to that my Phone charger decided to die , so with 10% left on my phone we decided Rather than wait until the morning we Took the plunge and booked flights from Geneva , we had a hire car so the only issue would be a charge for dropping it at Genvea rather than Lyon.

We Liked Tignes , and never had ski in/out but still close to the town before . Did have a tumble Wednesday on the first run after all the snow and hurt my shoulder hence the extended Apres Wednesday night. Very Happy
snow report
Ended up getting deplaned and sent back to the terminal. Regroup, try again tomorrow.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On the coach finally after hours of sitting on the apron at grotwick waiting.
So lucky we got a slot to come over tonight.
The poor reps have had a real mare of a day.
Can't wait to see what it's like up the hill tomorrow, sounds like we will have to curb the enthusiasm though.
snow report
Finally arrived, a horrendously long day. It was pissing it down all the way up the hill until le lac where it was icy sleet and finally in Val claret wet snow. The coach couldn't even make it into the coach park and dropped us on the road by the cinema. Walking all the way to the other end of Val claret with a 20 kg snowboard bag in the snow was not fun and my VRBO host has lied about having WiFi. Looking forward to riding my board tomorrow, hope everyone made their journeys safely whichever way you were going.
snow conditions
@ManiaMuse, On the bus crash, I understand the police were checking for any alcohol related to the incident before allowing clearance. Frustrating, but procedure I guess.

On another day it would have been fine.

As Chocks mentions above, there was a bit of a perfect storm today with several problems combining.

We had an excellent driver from Coolbus who bobbed and weaved all over the countryside and dropped us at GVA in time.......others would not have been as lucky.
snow conditions
@Minion1980,

You can have a lie in this morning as nothing will open on time and then it will be very limited.

Rain, snow, rain doesn't make for a very stable snow pack.
snow conditions
Back on a plane and on the tarmac at BHX, departure delayed again by about an hour. Hoping for a more successful outcome than yesterday.
ski holidays
GreenDay wrote:
@ManiaMuse, On the bus crash, I understand the police were checking for any alcohol related to the incident before allowing clearance. Frustrating, but procedure I guess.

On another day it would have been fine.

As Chocks mentions above, there was a bit of a perfect storm today with several problems combining.

We had an excellent driver from Coolbus who bobbed and weaved all over the countryside and dropped us at GVA in time.......others would not have been as lucky.

Coolbus are a good company, and the guy who owns it is super interesting.
latest report
Well sounds like everyone is finally in place / back after quite a 24 hours.... phew. And now to enjoy the / recover from, the holiday!
latest report
https://twitter.com/valdisere/status/1634942733323493377?s=08
snow report
A busy morning for the pisteurs, but Palafour was open by 5 past nine, but that was it. So the slopes soon got very busy. There was a mix of clear spells, cloud, fog and drizzle/snow till about 1pm and then it was glorious. As I have a piste only mate here then it was pistes only, lots of people off piste, lots of train tracks and sliding over the top on heavily compacted snow. There was also lots of avalanche activity, both skier and pisteur induced. Lots of people with no gear and no idea including in Chardo this afternoon. The pistes above 2300m are in good nick, the change was quite sudden, presumably that was where it had rained to and then frozen, the noise change underfoot was sudden and noticeable.

As the resort opened through the morning it was very busy, not helped by the yoof from Apex2100 (the intermational but mostly British) ski academy in Tignes using beginners as high speed slalom poles as they transit from Tichot to the stade. If it carries on I may well be going round to have a quiet word with someone in charge. They need to realise on piste that they are not self entitled ski gods and need to respect everyone else. By the afternoon, it seemed quite quiet on the pistes. By mid afternoon it was very warm. However,

Tomorrow will be mostly sunny, maybe a veil of thin high cloud, and gentle breezes at height. But it will be about 7 degs warmer, so positively warm on the terraces in Lac in mid afternoon.But the cloud will build through the evening and sometime after dark the temperature will plunge and snow will start all the way down to below Brev. The max peak temp on Tuesday will be about 12 degs less than Monday - mankini to full winter kit! There will also be a howling gale - more work for the pisteurs with potentially a foot of snow arriving sideways. The snow will peter out mid morning on Wednesday to leave a sunny if breezy day and cold out of the sun (a couple of degs down on Tuesday). Currently, sunny spells and fluffy clouds on Thursday with the thermometer climbing by 11 degs on Wed's max! Having the correct clothes on this week is going to be a tricky art.
latest report
@chocksaway, Apex2100, no surprise there , they train in Sainte Foy part of the week and my mate was whizzed up by one this week seems they thought it was funny . One of the directors lives in SF he’s going to have his ear bent when my mate sees him next . These lads have got to be careful when they have the name planted all over their gear
ski holidays
Oh wow that is quite the forecast, it was too warm this afternoon for my liking so good to be prepared for tomorrow. I thought the pistes were pretty quiet considering a lot was closed I stayed around palet and bellevarde will head towards the motte tomorrow. The fresh snow was wonderful but the pistes underneath are very bumpy, I'm assuming that's due to the prolonged dry period and warm temps, hopefully some bashing will help as my knees are not getting younger! Fantastic afternoon overall I love tignes in March.
snow report
@8611, Here you go.....its appeared

http://youtube.com/v/nPwO8n5Yu8c
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy