Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and Tignes-Val D'Isere (formerly Espace Killy) 2022/3. Useful links on Page 1

Poster: A snowHead
@Wrighty1994, Firstly those are reasonable rates for a private transfer, anyone doing it cheaper is probably not legal. There are dozens of companies doing transfers, so it’s a competitive market.

But there are companies that do shared transfers:
Altibus, a bus, if the times suit.
Snowdrone run a number of shared minibuses a day at €80 each way each. Which would be €480 for the 3 of you, giving a clue as to why a private is north of 600 quid.
Alpybus used slightly bigger coaches on their shard transfer service.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 11-02-23 16:02; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@TommyJ, @chocksaway,

Thanks guys, that makes me a bit happier, I'm sure we'll have a great time....28 days to go!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wrighty1994 wrote:
Whats the snow like recently peeps?

Me and two pals are looking to share a transfer (or hire car) from Geneva to Tignes Friday 24th - returning to GENEVA 01 March.

Transfer prices seem astronomical this time (£600+), does anyone fancy sharing, or know any good companies that are running on reasonable rates?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to half term.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great fun coming through Albertville today. 2 hours delays in one spot. Not a fun way to start the week
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Does anyone have a view on how easy/ long a walk it is from the Hotel Diva in Val Claret to the Altibus stop?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@sugarmoma666, Depending on how energetic you are/feel, and with luggage, it should take you about 15-20 mins if you walk the whole way. However, you have a couple of options. You could catch the bus and get off at the Plattieres lift, get the lift up, walk up the path, cross the road and go up the stairs next to Charlies bar. If you dont fancy the stairs, you can follow the path/road round towards the golf car park and walk up the ramp to the bus stop. The other option is to take the Bollin lift accessed via the path/road next to the Sherpa then walk along the Rue du Val Claret until you get to Charlies bar. Hope that helps.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
The other option is to take the Bollin lift....
And the third option is to get the free bus from the turning circle next to the Grande Motte Lifts to the Gare Routiere at Le Lac and catch the Altibus there. That option will involve practically no walking with all your luggage.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The only thing I would add is what time? The lifts in VC are shut overnight, not sure when they open, but there are signs. The buses run to a timetable during the night, so don’t leave it too late.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Short(ish) trip report after a week in Val Claret 4-11th Feb. My 6th time in Tignes but first time flying solo ie not on a Snoworks course and being led around the slopes. By the end of the week we (son in law and myself) were starting to get a good feel for the area and the best way to navigate around. Best slopes/snow of the week was off the cascade lift in le Fornet which was also very quiet. Slopes around the ‘green triangle’ also kept their snow well although there was still good snow everywhere with only the occassional hard/scraped areas to keep you on your toes, mostly when coming over rises from sun into shade. If ability allows, ski the reds as these seem to get less traffic and hence are in better condition overall. Greens and blues attract the speed demons who dont seem to know how, or want, to turn. Overall, piste conditions are holding up well considering there has been no snow for a while (a small top up Monday evening) and it doesnt look like any new snow in the near future. Had a private lesson with Rab from TDC on the Monday afternoon which was great and set us up for the rest of the week. Took late lunches most days to avoid the crowds which worked well. All the usual suspects still good value ie Marmottes, le Soli, la Croisse, G’s Pot and les Crozets at le Fornet. L’Armoise and Grattalu in the evenings. The menu Savoyarde (3 courses for €27.50) at L’Armoise is especially good value. Ski hire from Precision ski (based the choice on location as it was the nearest to the apartment) was ok but equipment is a couple of seasons old. Will do a bit more research next time as I usually take my own skis which are not suited to the current conditions. Only downside to the week is there seems to be distinct lack of shared transfer options for early/late afternoon. When booking could only get a 9:30am pickup for a 8:30pm flight which meant sitting at GVA airport for 4 1/2 hours waiting to check in. Return transfer was with Snodrone and only took 3 1/2 hours with detours through a few back roads. Traffic up from Albertville to Bourg/Moutiers looked horrendous at 11 in the morning. Overall another great week in Tignes Val D’Isere and will be back again, hopefully with a bit more snow next time.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
chocksaway wrote:
The only thing I would add is what time? The lifts in VC are shut overnight, not sure when they open, but there are signs. The buses run to a timetable during the night, so don’t leave it too late.

For the 0645 bus Neutral
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just read on Facebook of someone looking for a private lesson for 4 teenage girls, as their lesson was cancelled - Skivenue, a Danish organization, apparently.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Anyone with a rental car managed to navigate the parking situation in Tignes?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Can any of the regulars say whether 'Myosotis' red is always like it was today - super lumpy?

In the end me and MiniCF went off the side for a bit as it was testing his (and my) skills a bit, for day 1.
Other than that, great blue sky day out there, just don't forget the sunscreen, as the song goes. Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Checkflaps, Yes!

It was rarely pisted and the narrow bit is often a shocker. AKA myxomatosis for good reason!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Blue skies, no lift queues and a lovely lunch. Not enough actual skiing though. Need to up the distance tomorrow. I hear myosotis is usually empty…
snow conditions
Checkflaps wrote:
Can any of the regulars say whether 'Myosotis' red is always like it was today - super lumpy?

In the end me and MiniCF went off the side for a bit as it was testing his (and my) skills a bit, for day 1.
Other than that, great blue sky day out there, just don't forget the sunscreen, as the song goes. Laughing

AndrewBailey - and yes it is a VERY quiet run indeed.

Anyway yes they hardly ever piste it... but I skied it today and its in about the best moguls condition ive seen for a while (for those that like their moguls ski this run as its better than Tommeuse at the moment!)
ski holidays
Thanks all, duly noted Laughing Laughing
Other than blue skies, let's see what tomorrow brings.
snowHead
snow report
Just noticed Mélèzes has been re-graded as a red run... any idea when or why that happened?
snow report
@moosepig, changed this year. Probably because the narrow passages before and after the main hairpin caused difficulties for too many inexperienced skiers - not that the change has necessarily made any difference.
ski holidays
Helo all - quick question. I am hiring a car at Geneva airport on Sunday (19th) and driving to Tignes on Sunday - what would be the best driving route from Geneva to Tignes? Weather looks good and hoping to miss a lot of the crowds by travelling on a Sunday!!
ski holidays
@james75, Via Michelin suggests via Annecy>Ugine>Albertville>Bourg st M.

Annecy can be a lottery in terms of traffic.

One to note .... Annecy Carnival 2023 runs from 3rd to 5th of March. Definitely a weekend to give Annecy a swerve if your transiting to or from Geneva.
snow report
From Geneva Airport to Tignes, sunday 19th, leaving at 8.00: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Gen%C3%A8ve+-+a%C3%A9roport,+Le+Grand-Saconnex,+Suisse/73320+Tignes/@45.8488772,6.1004765,10z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m19!4m18!1m5!1m1!1s0x478c6484f1f0f001:0x8c62dabce622dee0!2m2!1d6.109288!2d46.23012!1m5!1m1!1s0x47890c63287d7ebb:0x408ab2ae4baa8b0!2m2!1d6.9055785!2d45.4683226!2m3!6e0!7e2!8j1676793600!3e0!5i1
ski holidays
Can an 8 day tignes&val lift pass be used for a day in another resort?
snow report
Purplecat wrote:
Can an 8 day tignes&val lift pass be used for a day in another resort?

Nope
ski holidays
Ta!
snow report
GeorgeVII wrote:
@james75, Via Michelin suggests via Annecy>Ugine>Albertville>Bourg st M.

Annecy can be a lottery in terms of traffic.

One to note .... Annecy Carnival 2023 runs from 3rd to 5th of March. Definitely a weekend to give Annecy a swerve if your transiting to or from Geneva.

Thanks - that's the way I was intending to go!
snow report
Some of the off piste lines in Tignes in this video

http://youtube.com/v/SlClSFn5dVc
ski holidays
@swskier,
Video unavailable Confused
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Kenzie, odd, because the link works for me to open. It's Nikolai Schirmer, who has a pretty big YT channel, so can't imagine why it would be showing as unavailable.
snow report
@swskier,
Couldn't open it on a PC, but can on phone.
ski holidays
Hello, newbie here! I will be in Tignes during the Mountain Shaker event. How much does that impact tourist skiers? I think they do the last event on Double M - does that mean it will be closed for the week?

Thankfully out for 2 weeks from the 4th March but keen to know how busy it will get, especially as I love the run down from the glacier!
latest report
sambodays wrote:
Hello, newbie here! I will be in Tignes during the Mountain Shaker event. How much does that impact tourist skiers? I think they do the last event on Double M - does that mean it will be closed for the week?

Thankfully out for 2 weeks from the 4th March but keen to know how busy it will get, especially as I love the run down from the glacier!

Firstly welcome to SH's.

So answer your question from my perspective - ive never heard of the event thus based on my (probably flawed) logic I dont think there will be any impact on tourists at all and even when the X Games used the Double M many years back the run was not closed.... so doubt it'll have any affect IM Opinion!
snow report
sambodays wrote:

Firstly welcome to SH's.

So answer your question from my perspective - ive never heard of the event thus based on my (probably flawed) logic I dont think there will be any impact on tourists at all and even when the X Games used the Double M many years back the run was not closed.... so doubt it'll have any affect IM Opinion!
snow conditions
I'm there that week, had no idea it was on, it sounds pretty cool!

https://www.seetignes.com/events/calendar/sfr-tour

Bought a new board to try and get into freestyle so nice to be able to watch some inspiring riders.
snow conditions
For the last one only half of Double M was shut on the final approach to Van Claret. There will be little effect on normal punters, same for the Ride the Snake event which was on the side of Grattalu.
latest report
Hi @sambodays, Mountain Shaker took place last year, indeed, using Double M, though some of the events ended up being cancelled owing to poor weather. The piste was not closed but effectively became "Single M", being reduced in width for part of its length.
latest report
@Steve Angus, @chocksaway and @bobski62, thank you very much for replying - I'm pleased to hear that its unlikely that Double M will have an impact. Very excited for our trip now. @Minion1980 hope you enjoy the event!
ski holidays
Hi would any of the Tignes locals know if the grand motte car park in Val claret is ok for higher vehicle (caravelle with roof bars 2.1m). I know the golf car park is too low. It may even be an out door car park.
snow conditions
Grand Motte is an outdoor carpark.

The Golf height restriction is actually 2.3m, although as a fellow VW Transporter owner I can understand you wanting plenty of margin. Especially if you have items on the roof you don't want to remove.
ski holidays
NoMapNoCompass wrote:
Grand Motte is an outdoor carpark.

The Golf height restriction is actually 2.3m, although as a fellow VW Transporter owner I can understand you wanting plenty of margin. Especially if you have items on the roof you don't want to remove.

Thanks is the grand motte car park near the tichot lift. As we are going at Easter, prepared to take punt on outdoor. Would be useful if near tichot lift as need somewhere to store a sit ski. I suppose key question is whether there would be any convenient disabled car parking. Going to be riding my eldest down the mountain in a sit ski so anything that makes life easier is good.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy