Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Energy squeeze in ski resorts

Poster: A snowHead
@Alastair Pink,
That is very interesting. I wonder if winter sports contribute more to GDP than 1.2%.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Alastair Pink,
Quote:

more than 800 GWh per year are wasted in Austria just by standby losses

that doesn't sound reasonable to me ??
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
under a new name wrote:
@Alastair Pink,
Quote:

That's 800 kw per head wasted on standby. That's 2.5kw per day, 24/7. They must be leaving an electric bar fire on standby !!! Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@davidof, that was my thinking Puzzled
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davidof wrote:
under a new name wrote:
@Alastair Pink,
Quote:

That's 800 kw per head wasted on standby. That's 2.5kw per day, 24/7. They must be leaving an electric bar fire on standby !!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

err, the population of Austria is 8.9 million, so that works out at just under 100kWh per head per annum (1GWh=1million kWh) or 274 Wh per day or just over 11W continuously, which seems eminently reasonable for standby power consumption.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Alastair Pink, 11W standby? That’s a lot of wee red LEDs, no?

I’m trying to think what we have running, couple of TVs a router, clock radio … ?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
@Alastair Pink, 11W standby? That’s a lot of wee red LEDs, no?

I’m trying to think what we have running, couple of TVs a router, clock radio … ?

As I said 11W for standby appliances in the home seems very reasonable to me. It's not so much the LEDs as the other parts of standby circuitry that will be drawing some power.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name, just looked it up, apparently a tv uses approx 1.5watts per day on standby, just had a quick look around and i have about 10 items on standby, so @Alastair Pink, calcs not that far off Shocked

but to be honest some items are a PITA to get to unplug/plug back in on a daily basis!!

https://metro.co.uk/2022/04/01/how-much-does-it-cost-to-leave-your-tv-on-standby-all-the-time-16387670/#:~:text=According%20to%20numbers%20compiled%20by%20EcoCostSavings%2C%20the%20average,day%20if%20you%20want%20to%20get%20really%20pedantic.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
terrygasson wrote:
@under a new name, just looked it up, apparently a tv uses approx 1.5watts per day on standby, just had a quick look around and i have about 10 items on standby, so @Alastair Pink, calcs not that far off Shocked

Just to clarify, the 1.5 Watts on standby which you quote for your TV is a continuous power demand. The energy used in a day is power x time = 1.5 x24= 36Wh (Watt-hours).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Large tv’s, with accompanying receiver (satellite, hifi etc) I’ve found to be drawing 70-100w in total continuous on standby. That’s a huge about of waste in every home per annum.

US dept of energy estimated 75% of device power is wasted.

https://20somethingfinance.com/electrical-leaking-standby-appliance-list/
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It would be nice if appliances actually came with an off switch. My TV doesn't. Anything “smart” will be using a small amount of energy all the time so that it can react if necessary, but I suspect that other appliances that don't have a giveaway LED are still “on”, e.g. the microwave has a button to turn its clock display off when it's not actually heating something, but I suspect there is still a low level draw.

Euro sockets don't have a switch, and rearranging the furniture/crawling behind cabinets every day to plug/unplug things is not practical.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scarlet wrote:
Euro sockets don't have a switch, and rearranging the furniture/crawling behind cabinets every day to plug/unplug things is not practical.

Or US power sockets either. Another reason why UK power sockets are a good design (along with safety features like shuttered connectors).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Alastair Pink wrote:
davidof wrote:
under a new name wrote:
@Alastair Pink,
Quote:

err, the population of Austria is 8.9 million, so that works out at just under 100kWh per head per annum (1GWh=1million kWh) or 274 Wh per day or just over 11W continuously, which seems eminently reasonable for standby power consumption.

oops, thanks for your calculations
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Alastair Pink, fyi we do have switched receptacles in housing of a certain age, and they drive everyone crazy because there only are about two in each house (including my vacation rental) so they can be a bit of a puzzle for some. If its your own house, you learn their locations, and they're good to have; over here they are typically used in rooms that are less likely to have a ceiling-mounted fixture (living, bedrooms) so they're there by the door to control a lamp without having to futz with finding the lamp in the dark. And so the first thing I tell my guest is "don't use this outlet to charge your phone because when you turn out the light you'll de-energize the entire receptacle and awaken to an uncharged phone".

Hey people turning their refers off for long intervals: it is a given that you empty them out first, but then do you prop open the door? Sounds like a petri dish otherwise.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
Hey people turning their refers off for long intervals: it is a given that you empty them out first, but then do you prop open the door? Sounds like a petri dish otherwise.

I was having difficulty in understanding that sentence, until I realised "refers" must be a reference to refrigerators? Laughing Is that a common term in the US, I'd not heard it before, in the UK we normally say fridge/fridges. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:

I was having difficulty in understanding that sentence, until I realised "refers" must be a reference to refrigerators? Laughing Is that a common term in the US, I'd not heard it before, in the UK we normally say fridge/fridges. Madeye-Smiley

who knows

snow report
@davidof, Laughing
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, correct (and not a great sentence either!). We use "fridge" as well. (BTW if you haven't seen RM, it is a scream)
ski holidays
@Scooter in Seattle, I have seen clips of Reefer Madness. Laughing

Thread drift: of course some of the best unintentionally funny B movies are those made by the great(?) Ed Wood Jnr. Glen or Glenda (his cri de coeur work in support of transvestism and his Sci-Fi magnum opus Plan 9 From Outer Space. Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy