Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1 week skiing in France in January 2023

Poster: A snowHead
If you are keen on Val D'Isere on a budget for 3, I would look at

https://www.pierreetvacances.com

in La Daille. A studio apartment in La Daille can be obtained for 882 Euros in total for a week between 7/1/23-14/1/23.

This is not a chalet, and is self catering. However, it is basic, clean, warm and comfortable. (also usually quiet, but some neighbours could be a nuisance) La Daille is about 1km from the centre of Val d'isere but just across the road is a super fast funival which takes you very quickly to the top. Great lift access.

The nightlife in Val d'Isere for your daughter is a short (free) bus ride away.

I have stayed there before a long time ago, and it has been refurbished since. I think the studio rooms have different bedding arrangements now, previously there were no double beds. (bunk beds, and sofa beds in the lounge)

All you need to make this a chalet for 4 is a live in chef for a week. Laughing

Thier website does say "Hurry only 2 available" for that week, although they have another complex in Val D'Isere at a higher price and probably better furnishings (and better manned reception desk:- it is not a hotel, and the reception desk may have limited opening hours)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just another shout for La Daille, which is really a cheaper, quiet satellite of VDI. The runs down which are labelled Easy - aren't if they have become sheet ice and crowded. The Red Runs down - like Orange - are much nicer.

As said above, not much happens there, but it is well connected by ski bus to VDI. Lift access is excellent and even has the Funicular (built for the '92 Olympics), which whisks you up Bellevarde in minutes. If you want to ski the Solaise side, the quickest way is by the bus to VDI and take the lift from there (but you can of course ski over [Tricky runs into VDI] to get the Solaise lift in VDI, or go up the Funicular and down Olympique Bubble).

Since I was there in the area a few years ago, there have been quite a few Lift upgrades - including Bubbles with heated seats and wifi.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
minehatun wrote:
pam w wrote:
Welcome to Snowheads @minehatun. You'll have masses of suggestions, not all the same..... Just two initial queries. What are your exact dates (a lot of accommodation in France is not flexible on dates) and what do you mean by a "lodge". A place which provides food, or a place where you cook your own or go out to eat?

Thanks for your prompt response.
Our exact dates are: 3-10 January or 4-11 January (mid week)
By lodge I mean an apartment, where you can cook your own meal.
Cheers.

You are planning to arrive in resort in the middle of New Year week, one of the busiest of the season, so whichever resort you choose accommodation will be expensive - you may have to pay for 2 weeks.
If you could delay in order to arrive on the Saturday or Sunday you'd have much more options, and cheaper too. The slopes would be much quieter, too.
Suggest you contact tignes-spirit.com and chaletschardons.com and see if they can help you. snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I used to walk between La Daille and the centre of Val d'Isere because I like walking, but I know many people take a bus for 1 km. (especially if they are carrying skis and walking in ski boots) You see much more by walking, but for people in a hurry there is a bus. There are small stores for food and wine, and newspapers as well as fresh bread in La Daille and of course take away food delivery would be likely.

There are a few bars there, and are usually quiet bars with no loud disco music. (except by slope side at the end of the day when it may be a little bit louder and busier). Probably some good places to eat out as well, but most of the nightlife and high end food establishments are in the centre of Val D.

I have heard of people so drunk they fell in the river Isere and died. So not ideal for people who get lost and too drunk to walk.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/4238917/British-student-freezes-to-death-in-river-at-Val-dIsere-ski-resort.html
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Try Arc 1950 if want fully ski in/out with ease, purpose built village (bit Disneyland ish) plenty of mountain area and La Plagne can be done easy in day and ski back on Les Arcs. If cost saving, Arc 2000 is just up the mountain all connected and cheaper but same snow. Just bit slower to get onto downward slope. P and V run it but plenty of owners own outright not in a lease-back so can find them on all usual sites for let's There are plenty of places to eat but apartments are self catered. Can get there via train to Bourg St Maurice and then all but straight up. Its high enough and if weather turns there is good access to trees. Suspect Val has better snow via snow machines but costs more and no real trees. That week used to be Russian week, but funny enough, not currently! I tend to go last 2 weeks Jan and March, Jan can be cold but always had good snow both times in year.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for letting me know. How does one claim 5% Snowheads Discount?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Happily those proposed dates are after the French school holidays this year. So there should be plenty of apartments, but don't wait!

I would head for somewhere in the 3V if your budget allows (assume it does as airline tix from Aus can't be cheap...). I like the idea as noted above of La Tania. Seems like the OP is already heading in that direction anyway...

I tend to advise first-timers to France to go to one of the sprawling stations at high altitude. It's quite difficult to tease out the merits of some of the less-connected (for example, Chamonix valley), lower-altitude (PdS) or smaller (St. Gervais-Megeve-Contamines) areas...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@minehatun, details in my signature of how to claim the discount.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
minehatun wrote:
Thanks for letting me know. How does one claim 5% Snowheads Discount?

Like Hells, it's in my signature, just a simple code that you enter into the online booking engine.

I also sent you a Private Message which you seem not to have read - up in the top right of your screen you should see a menu option Send/Read Messages.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pasigal wrote:
I tend to advise first-timers to France to go to one of the sprawling stations at high altitude....

"Sprawllng" is an odd adjective for the big interconnected resorts, but as I indicated above I would also suggest one that embodies what gives skiing there its international reputation for a first visit by experienced skiers. Three Valleys, Paradiski or Espace Killy.

Porte du Soleil is on paper as big or bigger, but somehow it feels a less coherent resort. That's not to decry its skiing though. And the Chamonix valley with its poor connections is really only for those who value its particular sort of challenging slopes.

Quite a lot of what you lump as smaller resorts are actually quite big enough to keep most people happy for a week. You mention St-Gervais-Megeve-Les Contamines which has over 400km of piste, though the Les Contamines and Combloux-La Giettaz sectors need bus connections from the central St Gervais-Megeve area. More typical are those with around 250km, and if the OP plans to return for a second visit they might want to consider one of those which have more charm than the big mega-resorts while still having a good range of skiing.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
Even a sleeps-6 apartment may require somebody sleeping on a sofa-bed in the living area or a bunk bed in the entrance
Which a lot of people don't mind at all if the price is right. Even with these potentially awful accommodation arrangements wink there are still some very decent places, in great skiing locations, to be had.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The 2 studios for the week you wanted are now gone. The week starting 14/1/23-21/1/23 has more availability at the same price.

A cheaper option for 4 in Tignes Val Claret is also available on that website, 516.60 Euros for a studio for 4 in Tignes Val Claret. (barely covering the heating costs) (studios for 3 are available cheaper 454.50 euros but without a balcony)

There is also a swimming pool and sauna available in the complex!? It looks like it is free if you book a room, might be a surcharge if you want to add water to the sauna coals!

Tignes Val Claret has great lift connections, anywhere in Tignes Val Claret is ski in ski out really. (if you do gymnastic skiing down handrails)

These are not per person prices, that is for the whole apartment including heating!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Bigtipper, we have stayed in one of those Val Claret studios. I am not sure whether it was advertised for 3 or 4 (we were 3) but it was very small. It wouldn't have been a good advert for Alpine skiing.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@j b, pay the extra 60 Euros for a balcony and you can put a blow up bed there as well!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
which site are you referring to regarding:
"A cheaper option for 4 in Tignes Val Claret is also available on that website, 516.60 Euros for a studio for 4 in Tignes Val Clare"?
latest report
https://www.pierreetvacances.com

I think it is called residence Inter-Residences in Tignes Val Claret.

https://www.pierreetvacances.com/gb-en/fp_T2U_self-catering-tignes-residences

It looks like it is ski to the door, although for some beginner skiers it may not be adviseable.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy