Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1 week skiing in France in January 2023

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

I do need advice on which ski resort we should choose in France.

There are simply too many options!

My husband and I are passionate skiers. The love of skiing brought us together and 35 years later we take on every opportunity to ski with our now 20 year old daughter. We have never skied in Europe (excluding Romania, Bulgaria and Turkey).

We live in Australia and the ski season here is awfully short and very expensive.

We’ll be in France in the first week of January 2023 after the school holiday break and we are looking for a good ski resort to stay for 1 week. We are focusing on the French Alps but maybe also the French Pyrenees? Really open to suggestions here.

Are objectives are:

• To have good snow (as it is relatively early ski season)

• Therefore we think high altitude mountain would be better

• min 90km ski runs, min 60 ski lifts (more medium then beginner level for competent skiers)

• Ski-in ski out (if possible)

• Village atmosphere (optional)

• We will be looking for a mid-range priced accommodation in a lodge

Can anyone give us advice based on this info?

Many thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to Snowheads @minehatun. You'll have masses of suggestions, not all the same..... Just two initial queries. What are your exact dates (a lot of accommodation in France is not flexible on dates) and what do you mean by a "lodge". A place which provides food, or a place where you cook your own or go out to eat?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Some of your assumptions may be slightly flawed; I'll pick up on a couple:

• min 90km ski runs, min 60 ski lifts

One or the other, but the ratio of lifts to km of piste is typically much lower than that, so a 90km resort might have 20-30 lifts. Of course this varies quite a lot, but 2 or 3km per lift is probably more normal.

Accommodation can be in Hotels, self-catered apartments, catered chalets or (youth) hostels, but there's not really any concept of a 'lodge' anywhere in Europe. Mid-price would perhaps lend more towards self-catering in an apartment, but prices vary at least as much between different ski resorts as between different types of accommodation, so be clear what your priorities are before getting sucked into price comparisons.

January isn't really early season - the only reason February is regarded as High season is because of school holidays, but snow conditions are just as likely to be good in January. So I wouldn't make the high altitude a priority for this reason...

But this does tend towards higher, purpose-built resorts...

And this does not; the combination of the above two is very rare. Bear in mind that the vast majority of resorts do not require, indeed would try almost anything to avoid, you driving to the lift. If lifts are too far to easily walk then there will be regular free buses, so you can typically look to be in a ski lift within ten minutes or so.

Finally,

• We’ll be in France in the first week of January 2023 after the school holiday break and we are looking for a good ski resort to stay for 1 week. We are focusing on the French Alps but maybe also the French Pyrenees?

Where in France will you be starting out from? The Pyrenees are both a long way from the Alps ( even by Aus standards, a long day's drive, over 800km) and more difficult to reach from the rest of France, so logistics will have a big impact on your choice. There are just a couple of resorts in the French Pyrenees, pretty good, but perhaps not representing the best that is on offer, nor the most reliable.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Answer send on the other forum - but same kind of answers found here. snowHead

Where du you fly in to? Paris - Geneva- or?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
Welcome to Snowheads @minehatun. You'll have masses of suggestions, not all the same..... Just two initial queries. What are your exact dates (a lot of accommodation in France is not flexible on dates) and what do you mean by a "lodge". A place which provides food, or a place where you cook your own or go out to eat?

Thanks for your prompt response.
Our exact dates are: 3-10 January or 4-11 January (mid week)
By lodge I mean an apartment, where you can cook your own meal.
Cheers.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A lot depends on exactly which week. The French Alps are very busy the week including New Year, since it coincides with general holidays from work or school. However the way the calendar falls this year that is likely to be the week starting 26 December. The next couple of weeks will be much more relaxing, and there is not likely to be any problem with snow cover.

If I was in your position (Australian making a major trip without having previously skiied the Alps) I would choose one of the big resorts that give French skiing its international reputation. Probably Three Valleys (600 km and 160 lifts). For good reasons it isn't the cheapest of places, but Les Menuires is good value with easy access over the ridge to Meribel and on to Courcheval; otherwise La Tania or Le Praz which are off the "circuit" but have decent lift connections.

The only thing you will really have to compromise on is "village atmosphere". Pretty much any resort that has reliable pistes to the doorstep will be purpose-built at higher altitude than the real traditional villages. So any village atmosphere is a bit synthetic.

However I think any reasonable sized French resort would suit you fine. If your searches find something else you are interested in, just ask here, there will be people who know the resort and can give inside knowledge.

[Edit: my post crossed with yours giving the dates. You will be fine those weeks, but be warned that many apartments let either Saturday to Saturday or (less often) Sunday to Sunday though there can be more flexibility given those weeks are low season. You may have to rent for two whole weeks to get the days you want].

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 7-09-22 9:16; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
To add to what @Chaletbeauroc, said...

Jan can be very cold so pack accordingly. I know its winter snowsports but Jan can be particularly bitter.

Ski in/out usually brings a cost premium.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
minehatun wrote:

So you're really going to struggle with those dates. Our larger apartments are already booked up for new year's week, even though we weren't insisting on Saturday-Saturday bookings, which is unfortunately very common in France. We do have availability in two studios if you're interested...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
Some of your assumptions may be slightly flawed; I'll pick up on a couple:

• min 90km ski runs, min 60 ski lifts

One or the other, but the ratio of lifts to km of piste is typically much lower than that, so a 90km resort might have 20-30 lifts. Of course this varies quite a lot, but 2 or 3km per lift is probably more normal.

Accommodation can be in Hotels, self-catered apartments, catered chalets or (youth) hostels, but there's not really any concept of a 'lodge' anywhere in Europe. Mid-price would perhaps lend more towards self-catering in an apartment, but prices vary at least as much between different ski resorts as between different types of accommodation, so be clear what your priorities are before getting sucked into price comparisons.

January isn't really early season - the only reason February is regarded as High season is because of school holidays, but snow conditions are just as likely to be good in January. So I wouldn't make the high altitude a priority for this reason...

But this does tend towards higher, purpose-built resorts...

And this does not; the combination of the above two is very rare. Bear in mind that the vast majority of resorts do not require, indeed would try almost anything to avoid, you driving to the lift. If lifts are too far to easily walk then there will be regular free buses, so you can typically look to be in a ski lift within ten minutes or so.

Finally,

• We’ll be in France in the first week of January 2023 after the school holiday break and we are looking for a good ski resort to stay for 1 week. We are focusing on the French Alps but maybe also the French Pyrenees?

Where in France will you be starting out from? The Pyrenees are both a long way from the Alps ( even by Aus standards, a long day's drive, over 800km) and more difficult to reach from the rest of France, so logistics will have a big impact on your choice. There are just a couple of resorts in the French Pyrenees, pretty good, but perhaps not representing the best that is on offer, nor the most reliable.

Thank you very much for your detailed and prompt reply. Much appreciated. Now that you bring out these issues I see what you mean.
I should try to put it in simpler terms:
We want to have a first time good ski experience in the French Alps. But our budget is constrained, we are happy to cook in an self-catered apartments or alike. To clarify I meant chalet, when I said lodge.
Our priority is good skiing, for experienced alpine skiers. Km vs lift argument has proven to be unimportant. Thanks for clarification.
We'll probably going to come from Lyon (if not from Geneva).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

min 90km ski runs, min 60 ski lifts

That 60 ski lifts requirement knocks out some pretty big resorts. Les Arcs, for example, only has 53 and that is counting 9 moving pavements and the funicular to Bourg st Maurice.

I'm never sure what is meant by "village atmosphere" but villages built for agriculture and those for ski in ski out do not go together. Afterall, apart from us nut cases who wants to live in a village where 4 months of the year they are covered in snow. Better to live in the valley and only travel up to the alps with your cattle and sheep during the summer. Having said that many ski resorts have a village feel where everybody know everyone else, who live and work there during the summer and winter seasons. If I walk through Arc 1600 several people will great me in the street and an evening visit to bar or restaurant will involve grettings and hand shakes, which is more than I can say for my home town.

@pam w, a lodge is where beavers live
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Early January is probably the best time for reliable good snow. December is much more chancy (though late December can be fabulous) and February there is usually less new snowfall so can be old, hard snow. The obvious places are Val d'Isere and the Three Valleys if you want a big area.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi there and welcome.

Personally, as someone who often goes to France in Jan and likes easy access to the lifts/big ski area, these would be my recommendations.

Val D'Isere/Tignes

If wanting to make your money go further, Tignes is cheaper and generally has easier access to the slopes. VDI is more "villagey". Both resorts have their own glacier and it often has better snow than its neighbours. From a skiing pov this would be my favourite resort.

Les Arcs/La Plagne

These used to be decent sized separate resorts (each with a glacier), but are now linked by a cable car. I prefer the skiing in Les Arcs, which I find more interesting, but it's nice to have access to both (depending on the ski pass you buy).

My favourite place in Les Arcs to stay, is in Arc 1950 which has American standards of accommodation. The Golf Hotel in Arc 1800 is also fine. Arc 1600 has access down to Borg St Maurice, which is a proper town.

Trois Vallees

This is a huge area. Meribel Mottaret (higher than Meribel) is in the middle, so gives easiest access to the whole area. Val Thorens is at one end and has the glacier, but can be a bit exposed in bad weather. Courchevel is at the other, where 1850 is chique and expensive and a long trek to the glacier if snow is poor.

I would normally like to go high in case there has been a lack of snow. I also like access to tree lined runs, for when the weather closes in. Val D'Isere, Les Arcs and La Plagnes certainly have that. It's been quite a while since I have been to the 3V, but I think Courchevel also has.

If you pick an area and let us know - there will be those who can give more detailed info on the accommodation, the skiing and the instructors/guides (if that is on your radar).

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 7-09-22 11:42; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
minehatun wrote:

I should try to put it in simpler terms:
We want to have a first time good ski experience in the French Alps. But our budget is constrained, we are happy to cook in an self-catered apartments or alike. To clarify I meant chalet, when I said lodge.

Just to further help with those definitions, most frequently when (UK) people say Chalet they're referring to a shared building with breakfast and evening meal provided, typically sleeping from 8-10 people upwards, sometimes with private bathrooms, sometimes not, but with shared sitting and eating areas. Self-catered chalets do exist but would mean renting the whole place, so only really appropriate for a larger group.

Most self-contained apartments, par contre, tend to be in purpose-built blocks, especially in the larger French resorts. It's quite rare, I think, to find individual apartments within a chalet proper (like we have). So again, be clear what you mean.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@minehatun, Having seen your dates and notice that they are for midweek to midweek you may have to book an apartment for 2 weeks. Normally the new year week is very busy, but it is looking quieter this year and there is still a fair number of vacancies in Les Arcs. A two room apartment of about 30m2 will cost up to about 3000€ for the fortnight. Visit the resort web sites for resorts you are interested in for more details, but since you are interested in odd dates it is probably a good idea to phone the immobiliers in person. They will speak english. I have a suspicion that many apartment owners will be wanting to spend New Year's eve in their apartment and return home on New Year's day so would be intersted in non standard bookings.

Oh and get a copy of the book "where to ski and snowboard" it is good reading and will give you much more information than we can on this forum.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chaletbearoc is spot on in highlighting the differences in definition re accommodation.

I think (mostly) Brexit and (partly) Covid has meant Chalet holidays are now much rarer.

A self catering apartment can be cheaper.....but may not always be, if you add in food and underoccupancy (if it is bigger than you actually need). I go through Crystal Holidays and 2 of us going to an apartment is as expensive as a moderately priced hotel (which provides food) - this is because they only have 4 person apartments, so underoccupancy is applied.
snow conditions
Sticking out my neck with a plug for Serre Chevalier here. 3 proper villages along the valley and a town at the bottom, all with lifts into the ski area. Roman-themed spa in Le Monetier-les-Bains, and a Vauban walled town in Briancon. Some culture, plenty of skiing (highest piste is 2800m) and a good French atmosphere. French schools go back on Tuesday 3rd January, so I'm being flexible with my own apartment, as many people won't want to leave on Sunday 1st. It wouldn't be 3000€ for 2 weeks in my own 33m2 apartment at that time, maybe in mid-feb, but the 2nd week would be at off-peak prices.
ski holidays
minehatun wrote:
Cheers.

That would normally be listed as a "self catering apartment". Pretty much all apartments will have a small kitchen area but it might be limited. Also, personally I'd look for one that sleeps more than you need; the occupancy numbers should be thought of as an absolute max squeezed in like sardines.
latest report
adithorp wrote:
... a "self catering apartment". Pretty much all apartments will have a small kitchen area but it might be limited. Also, personally I'd look for one that sleeps more than you need; the occupancy numbers should be thought of as an absolute max squeezed in like sardines.

In France, for sure. Look very carefully at the sleeping arrangements - even a sleeps-6 apartment may require somebody sleeping on a sofa-bed in the living area or a bunk bed in the entrance. And often even when there is a separate bedroom it may only be a 'coin montagne' with no windows and just about enough space to walk around the bed (or not even, in some I've had experience of).

30 sqm, as mentioned in another post, is really very small, but with careful design could be big enough for three; unfortunately they will usually have been configured to maximise the number of beds, not to maximise convenience and comfort for a smaller number. We do have one sleeps-3 studio of that size, which took us a lot of effort to configure to our satisfaction. Still a slight compromise with a raised single bed above the main double, but allows good use of floor space for kitchen and eating area. Tends to be most used by small families with one or two kids, but we have had three adults in it quite a few times without issues.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 7-09-22 10:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@minehatun - On the apartment front, bear in mind that until the 2000s the french built lots of tiny 20-25msq apartments which "sleep 4"-but that involves a bunk bed in the hallway and a sofa bed in the open plan kitchen/living area-not much fun for adults who desire some privacy!

Your dates are likely to make it a bit tricky to find a standard weekly rental as they tend to run Sat to Sat. I've just checked local rental agents in "our" village (St Martin de Belleville) and the changeover day is on a Saturday over Christmas- so that's 24th and 31st Dec this coming winter. Maybe looking on Airbnb will find you somewhere a bit more flexible, but at the moment your start dates fall slap bang in the middle of one of the busiest weeks of the season (also the most expensive for accommodation). If you can push your trip back to start the following Saturday, you will have far more options for accommodation at a significantly lower price.
However, just to test out my theory I checked out availability on Airbnb in St M from 3rd Jan and in fact a few options did come up-mostly a short drive from the lift, but it did include one ski in ski out apartment.
I'm obviously biased as we have a place out there, but St Martin has a lovely Alpine vibe but still links into the vastness of the 3V ski area. It's at 1450m elevation, so not the ultra high mountains, but you get up to 2300m in about 20 mins (and Val Thorens is about 50 mins for fast skiers) and there is good snowmaking in the (unlikely) event that there is no natural snow down to the village. In January it can be very cold and a bit bleak in the really high 2000m resorts which are above the treeline, especially when it snows-so there is a trade off.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/s/Saint~Martin~de~Belleville--Les-Belleville--France/homes?tab_id=home_tab&refinement_paths%5B%5D=%2Fhomes&flexible_trip_lengths%5B%5D=one_week&price_filter_input_type=0&query=Saint-Martin-de-Belleville%2C%20Les%20Belleville&place_id=ChIJ5ZdICA8qikcR8Kq65CqrCAQ&date_picker_type=calendar&checkin=2023-01-03&checkout=2023-01-10&adults=3&source=structured_search_input_header&search_type=autocomplete_click
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:
Hi there and welcome.

Personally, as someone who often goes to France in Jan and likes easy access to the lifts/big ski area, these would be my recommendations.

Val D'Isere/Tignes

If wanting to make your money go further, Tignes is cheaper and generally has easier access to the slopes. VDI is more "villagey". Both resorts have their own glacier and it often has better snow than its neighbours. From a skiing pov this would be my favourite resort.

Les Arcs/La Plagne

These used to be decent sized separate resorts, but are now linked by a cable car. I prefer the skiing in Les Arcs, which I find more interesting, but it's nice to have access to both (depending on the ski pass you buy).

My favourite place in Les Arcs to stay, is in Arc 1950 which has American standards of accommodation. The Golf Hotel in Arc 1800 is also fine. Arc 1600 has access down to Borg St Maurice, which is a proper town.

Trois Vallees

This is a huge area. Meribel Mottaret (higher than Meribel) is in the middle, so gives easiest access to the whole area. Val Thorens is at one end and has the glacier, but can be a bit exposed in bad weather. Courchevel is at the other, where 1850 is chique and expensive and a long trek to the glacier if snow is poor.

I would normally like to go high in case there has been a lack of snow. I also like access to tree lined runs, for when the weather closes in. Val D'Isere, Les Arcs and La Plagnes certainly have that. It's been quite a while since I have been to the 3V, but I think Courchevel also has.

If you pick an area and let us know - there will be those who can give more detailed info on the accommodation, the skiing and the instructors/guides (if that is on your radar).

Thank you very much for your reply.
Tignes/VDI is at the top of our list for the reasons you've mentioned. You've put my mind at ease. I'll probably concentrate on these two villages for accommodation.
Let me know if you have any recommendations.
Thanks again.
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:
Chaletbearoc is spot on in highlighting the differences in definition re accommodation.

I think (mostly) Brexit and (partly) Covid has meant Chalet holidays are now much rarer.

A self catering apartment can be cheaper.....but may not always be, if you add in food and underoccupancy (if it is bigger than you actually need). I go through Crystal Holidays and 2 of us going to an apartment is as expensive as a moderately priced hotel (which provides food) - this is because they only have 4 person apartments, so underoccupancy is applied.

This makes perfect sense. Thank you both for the clarification.
latest report
In France the apartments will give the floor area, the number of rooms and the maximum number of people it could sleep under certain rules (such as seperate bathroom and toilet). You rent the apartment and select how many people you want to put in it. I've never heard of under occupancy charges. I beleive it cannot be listed as a bedroom unless it has a window.
Quote:

30 sqm, as mentioned in another post, is really very small,

Remember that Riba estimates the floor area of the average new three-bedroom home in the UK is 88 sq m. So about 1/3 of the size of the average permanent dwelling in the UK.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 7-09-22 10:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I would just like to put in a word for the Portes du Soleil, which usually gets mentioned earlier in these sorts of threads. You might even consider coming over to the Swiss side...

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 7-09-22 10:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
As Perty already said (but just to emphasise) most places want you to go Saturday to Saturday (or a few Sunday to Sunday, but that's unusual). You are making it a lot harder for yourself going mid-week.
latest report
minehatun wrote:

Traditionally/normally mid-week to mid-week is difficult if not impossible as everything is Sat to Sat or perhaps Sun to Sun.

However, Dec 24th and New Years Eve, the two celebratory nights are on a Saturday which always throws things out of kilter,

Also, I've read a couple of times that some flexibility has come into the market.

I don't what the Snowheads collective understanding/thinking is on this one. It seems pretty critical to it working. As someone said you could book two weeks but that bumps up costs.

I tried a search on https://www.snowtrex.co.uk/ and got nothing for France mid-week to mid-week.
snow conditions
@minehatun, I think if looking for vfm, Tignes would be the better option. I would be looking at Val Claret or Le Lac, which are easily connected by a regular bus, so pick the one where you can find some suitable accommodation. There are a couple of current threads that might be useful: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=161004#5006734 and https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=160969#5006147

Given your dates, I'm not sure whether they will be available, but FWIW here is where I have stayed:

Val Claret: Hotel Curling and Hotel Diva. They aren't fancy, have a decent location and do the job. The latter has been taken over by Belambra, which is a holiday club and the meals are self service.

Le Lac: I am due to go to Langley Hotel Tignes 2100 in Jan for the first time, so can't comment yet. It is handy and there is table service for the evening meals (which get good feedback for quality), as this appeals in times of Covid.

If interested, check them out on Tripadviser.

I haven't tried an apartment in Tignes, as it has been more expensive through Crystal than these hotels for 2 people. I also don't enjoy buying food in crowded, expensive supermarkets, cooking and cleaning, while on holiday....which we did when the Kids were young.

Years ago, when the children were small, we used to stay in Rond Point des Pistes 1 Appartments in VDI, which gave reasonable access for skiing, but more of a trek for supermarkets. It was pretty basic.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 7-09-22 11:24; edited 2 times in total
snow report
@johnE, Underoccupancy is applied by TOs, who price an apartment for full occupancy, so charge a fee if under occupied. If doing it independently, you pay according to the size - so are paying "underoccupancy" by a different name, if selecting a bigger apt than you need, to get more space.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 7-09-22 11:14; edited 3 times in total
snow report
@minehatun, I like the way you're going about this. This thread could be a model for 1st time snowHead posters to follow, so Cool
Unless I've missed it, I'm a bit hazy about what sort of skiing you love, like, can put up with, dislike or hate. You've said you're passionate about skiing and prioritise 'good skiing' over other trip features. So I think you're definitely on the right forum.

Could you give a bit more detail about your skiing preferences? eg on/off piste, level of expertise, mountain climate/conditions you like/dislike, long runs, short steep runs,
blue/red/black/double diamond works wonders runs, snow conditions loved/hated (186 types of those), waking up in a crevasse with a bear?

You get the idea I'm sure. Answers to those would help guide advice, especially at high altitude in early January in Europe.
See also messages, click on top R/H corner of screen thingy. snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Some all or any on the above.
But go somewhere with trees.
January weather is normally the coldest, and often the snowiest, so if you are lucky/unlucky enough to catch 4-5 days fresh snow, you're gonna want to be somewhere a bit sheltered from the wind and where the trees break up the cloud so you can see.
The tree line in the French Alps (big generalisation) is around 1700m, so pick somewhere with skiing below that.
For lots of piste and lifts you should be looking at the Mega-Domains with over 600KM which are 3V. or PdS.
(Paradiski has 425, EK has 300, GM has 265).
St Martin is a pretty village in 3V which should tick the boxes also Meribel worth a shout.
I have been dismissive of Les Gets in the past because it is not what I am looking for, but it offers ski-in / out plus village feel, plus trees, plus access to higher bits, and as it's on pasture you only need 10-20 cm of snow, whereas in the high lunar-scaped areas you need > 2m as you're skiing on rocks. So also worth a shout.
I'll save Chaletbeauroc's keyboard a pounding and mention Les Crossets, and whilst it is in Switzerland, France is one 4 minute lift ride away.
You might struggle for mid week -mid week, although in France the 2 weeks after new year are low-season, so you might be able to find this from an independent provider who realises that 1 week's rental spread across 2 is better than 2 empty weeks.
ski holidays
Thanks,
We're looking into St Martin and Meribel. Looking at Les Crossets as well.
Quick question: how does one find independent providers?
Ta.
snow report
@WindOfChange, I was going to mention this also but the dates/accommodation struck me as a gotcha.

I go a lot to Les Coches at Christmas for the trees.
ski holidays
Dear WindofChange,
I understand your confusion. Our preference: On piste/intermediate/long runs/medium steep runs/red/hated condition: icy or slushy snow and rain. Dream condition: powder snow.
ski holidays
@minehatun, have a look on AirBnB, Booking.com etc, find somewhere that fits your requirements and then use that good old Google/Firefox to see if you can find them direct. The Tourist Office for the area you're planning to stay in can also be a good source.
latest report
thanks for your advise.
latest report
This website is a useful resource for checking out "Top 10s" in various areas, like early season snow.

It also gives weather forecasts and conditions, which can be useful nearer the time.

https://www.weathertoski.co.uk/
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
@minehatun, have a look on AirBnB, Booking.com etc, find somewhere that fits your requirements and then use that good old Google/Firefox to see if you can find them direct.

Absolutely. I've commented before that I'm constantly surprised at how many of our guests have booked through those two channels without realising they could get it cheaper by simply typing the name into a search engine.
snow conditions
@Chaletbeauroc, I took a last minute booking yesterday for this weekend via BC. Sent her the arrival info and to contact our keyholder. She has stayed in another apartment before, so knew her well, but still hasn't booked directly with either of us. It would have cost them less for the apartment, and I would have made more money.
ski holidays
I would think about La Tania in the 3V ..at that time of the year the snow should be reliable and you can ski in ski out and it has much more of a village atmosphere
snow report
I have booked many skiing apartments and never used AirBnB or Booking.com

Usually through tourist info internet booking or direct

I once used peakretreats or some such (uk website), several weeks later they came back and said it was no longer available. I got my money back and booked direct (there was availability) for less money.
snow report
@Hells Bells, Odd, innit? I understand that for first-timers they may like the perceived security of the booking channels; I'm pretty sure that all of our repeats have done so through the website, but we do make a point of mentioning it and putting postcards in each of the apartments.

I just noticed your 5% Snowheads Discount - what a good idea. Now added the same to our own offerings snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy