Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trademark Tony strikes again!

Poster: A snowHead
philwig wrote:
TUI's brand history is worth a look, and suggests that the value of package-holiday retail brands isn't massive.

Yeah that's based on the market being very fickle and price driven - you're only as good as your last deal/rep to the consumer. SCGB members taking up SCGB holidays seem to be signalling they are not price sensitive at all and in fact are willing to pay over the odds for a degree of perceived exclusiveness (perceived because you can ski the same snow and stay in the same hotels outside the SCGB structure of course) - so maybe there is a niche corporate play for someone to acquire the "club" - happened to the AA and RAC of course many years ago.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

maybe there is a niche corporate play for someone to acquire the "club" -

Goldsmith Sachs?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

Is the suggestion that the carpet-baggers are now running the shop?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I thought this was some sort of joke/parody post at first, now realise they really did have an issue with the schnauzer club. Beggars belief, though I shouldn't be surprised.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Perhaps someone should consult the Putta brothers of SCGBsolutions.com?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
x7 wrote:

Is the suggestion that the carpet-baggers are now running the shop?

Who knows? It's curious behaviour or overtly paranoid of a member's organisation to want to defend itself to that degree. What's the worst case? Someone with very deep pockets and a litigious nature decides that they own the letters SCGB? So Bezos or that admin longhair or whoever drives them off those letters and uses them for his own private merc army/starfleet- they can still presumably use their name and variants like Ski Club of GB with no reduced enjoyment by members.

Or they do want to get "assets" locked down for potential suitors?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
that admin longhair or whoever drives them off those letters and uses them for his own private merc
You mean the Snowheads Car of Great Brrrrrrruminess ?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was rather thinking Spacehopper Command of Greater Bounciness under which you'd deploy your snowtroopers to lower the tone in ski resorts around the world leading pied piper-like a boinging population of kids...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Could have potential Toofy Grin
https://web.archive.org/web/20130304055139/http://scgb.co.uk:80/

Surely even Trademark Tony couldn't mistake it for a Tea Club property?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wouldn’t it be terrible if another SCGB that predates the SkiClub comes to light and takes the TM.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mariah Carey joins the 'trademark' party !!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-62564327

"..A dispute has broken out over which US pop singer can lay claim to the title Queen of Christmas after Mariah Carey attempted to trademark it..."
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ster wrote:
Wouldn’t it be terrible if another SCGB that predates the SkiClub comes to light and takes the TM.

The whole thing makes me laugh, given how we were banned from ever using the initials when I was a rep, sorry leader, oh no now we're reps again (99-21).

When I started we had the blue and yellow jackets which really lived up to the South Croydon Gas Board pi$$take at the time.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
admin wrote:
Could have potential Toofy Grin
https://web.archive.org/web/20130304055139/http://scgb.co.uk:80/

Surely even Trademark Tony couldn't mistake it for a Tea Club property?

If it's Spacehopper club of Great Britain, then why does it ask for donations in $ Confused Confused
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Stable currency innit - those dollar bills stay in your pockets easier than quid coins when you're boinging to the bank.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hurtle wrote:
He appears to spend time doing some pretty obscure things. Shocked
https://www.clarehall.cam.ac.uk/our-people/anthony-tony-harris

That sounds like perfect training for the SKGB to me.
snow report
AL9000 wrote:
Quote:

…a good use of member subscriptions.

Subscriptions which pay for his time and ‘services’ Laughing

Silly C**** of Great Britain!

He doesn't get paid anything for his time. In point of fact, none of the directors get paid anything by the Ski Club.
snow report
It's just as well they're on top of the basics of managing their Internet presence, or cyber squatters could cause a lot of confusion or act in a malicious manner...

Most organisations have a list of domain names that they register proactively to protect against this sort of thing, especially to cover their TM estate.
ski holidays
So tempted..... Toofy Grin Probably want silly money though. Spaffing big bucks would be right up SCGB's street though snowHead
snow conditions
MorningGory wrote:
So tempted...
I'm sure Tony reads this and has taken a break from High Table to address the issue.
ski holidays
$75 ain't enough Very Happy
snow conditions
I'd have just pointed it to SH - maybe one for @Admin Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Hamilton Academical wrote:

He doesn't get paid anything for his time. In point of fact, none of the directors get paid anything by the Ski Club.

Just about right then if he hasnt secured scgb.co.uk ?
ski holidays
Has snowHeads been trademarked?
ski holidays
ster wrote:

Just about right then if he hasnt secured scgb.co.uk ?

He doesn't need to because the Ski Club aren't planning on using that domain. If any snowsports related organisation started using it commercially what would happen?
latest report
@Hamilton Academical, it doesn't have to be a snowsports organisation - maybe the Schnauzer Club would like it? If you are going to trademark something like SCGB, it's because that's what people associate with you, so if they're looking for a website which is related to the SCGB, would https://www.scgb.co.uk/ not be the first place they try?

Plus of course scammers are well known for being decent law-abiding citizens who would never apply for a domain name using a trademarked set of initials...

What would happen if someone registered that domain for a snowsports site? At best, you'd raise an objection and the registrar would cancel the registration. At worst, you could find yourselves in a legal process which could take months and several thousand pounds in legal fees to establish your legal case that scgb.co.uk can't be used because you own the trademark. The applicant could plead that it was a genuine mistake, and would offer to sell it to the SCGB, also for several thousand pounds. That's why companies proactively reserve those sort of domains - to prevent the hassle of enforcement action, which is usually 10-100X the cost of registering the domain.

Separate issue - trademarks are intended for "goods and services" to denote that they come from you rather than anyone else, so I can understand Freshtracks® but I'm struggling to understand what I can buy if I ask for a SCGB®

As an example, I could buy a Teflon® coated pan, not a Chemours coated pan. One is a product, the other is the organisation who make that product (or at least own the trademark for it). So maybe I could buy a SkiClubMembership® or maybe even a SkiMem® but unless I have been certified as insane I wouldn't want to buy a SCGB® as it appears to have a rapidly diminishing value...

What you need is a legal expert who can advise you on the appropriate use of trademarks NehNeh . It appears you've paid to trademark something which is not actually enforceable as you do not offer any goods or services which are called SCGB® - it's intended for brand names, logos, buzzwords and straplines.

Snowheads on the other hand could be trademarked if anyone so desired - it is a forum, so that's the service. Then we could move on to Bashes® including EOSB®, PSB®, and of course that crowd favourite SFaB®, not forgetting OktoberTest® all of which are things which are for sale or which could be described as a service, and all offered by admin via the forum. Note - not offered by Snowheads, because that's a service, not an individual or trading organisation.
latest report
ousekjarr wrote:

What you need is a legal expert who can advise you on the appropriate use of trademarks NehNeh . It appears you've paid to trademark something which is not actually enforceable as you do not offer any goods or services which are called SCGB® - it's intended for brand names, logos, buzzwords and straplines.

Snowheads on the other hand could be trademarked if anyone so desired - it is a forum, so that's the service.

I'm not following what you are sayingl. Hoover is a trademark and the name of a company not a product. SCGB offers clubby type activities related to skiing so seems to be in the same boat.

It may prove difficult to trademark snowheads as the term was in use before this site came about and uses two common words, the UK trademark office are not desperately keen on that, although if it were trademarked strictly in relation with a forum and ski holidays it would seem perfectly reasonable.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 25-08-22 19:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
ousekjarr wrote:
@Hamilton Academical,

What you need is a legal expert who can advise you on the appropriate use of trademarks NehNeh

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Cool
ski holidays
He doesn't need to because the Ski Club aren't planning on using that domain.

How do you know? Back on the board? Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MorningGory wrote:
He doesn't need to because the Ski Club aren't planning on using that domain.

How do you know? Back on the board? Very Happy

Operating under the table perhaps?
snow report
davidof wrote:
ousekjarr wrote:

Snowheads on the other hand could be trademarked if anyone so desired - it is a forum, so that's the service.

I'm not following what you are sayingl. Hoover is a trademark and the name of a company not a product. SCGB offers clubby type activities related to skiing so seems to be in the same boat.

It may prove difficult to trademark snowheads as the term was in use before this site came about and uses two common words, the UK trademark office are not desperately keen on that, although if it were trademarked strictly in relation with a forum and ski holidays it would seem perfectly reasonable.

He's talking groupthink shit as per normal.
snow conditions
Red Leon wrote:
ousekjarr wrote:
@Hamilton Academical,

What you need is a legal expert who can advise you on the appropriate use of trademarks NehNeh

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Cool

Yeah, they seem to have one of those who does all that work for nothing.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:

Good example - see https://www.ashfords.co.uk/news-and-media/general/genericide-the-death-of-trade-marks-by-a-thousand-cuts

Hoover is a brand, a name and a logo used on a particular range of electrical products. Hoover is not the company (any more) - the trademark is owned by Candy Hoover Group S.r.l.
snow conditions
Hoovers suck!
ski holidays
ousekjarr wrote:
davidof wrote:

Good example - see https://www.ashfords.co.uk/news-and-media/general/genericide-the-death-of-trade-marks-by-a-thousand-cuts

Hoover is a brand, a name and a logo used on a particular range of electrical products. Hoover is not the company (any more) - the trademark is owned by Candy Hoover Group S.r.l.

Candy Hoover group, clue is in the name.

Quote:
the Hoover trademark is used in the following business: Alarms (not for vehicles); smoke, fire and heat detectors; fire extinguishers; detector and surveillance apparatus and instruments, all being electrical; and parts and fittings included in class 9 for all the aforesaid goods

So a company called Hoover (or Candy Hoover now) that sells a range of products. Like a company called SCGB that sells a range of products, or it did. Hoover remains a trademark, as your article points out.

I'm still not really sure what point you are trying to make though.
ski holidays
@davidof, my point was that it was a complete waste of time, effort and money to protect a "brand" which had no value outside of the existing membership.

Trademarks are for consumer sales. What financial benefit does it add? Would the time have been better spent on the finances?
ski holidays
ousekjarr wrote:
@davidof, my point was that it was a complete waste of time, effort and money to protect a "brand" which had no value outside of the existing membership.

Trademarks are for consumer sales. What financial benefit does it add? Would the time have been better spent on the finances?

Ok that's clear for me. Thanks for following up.
snow report
ousekjarr wrote:

Now no one else can start a similar enterprise using that trademark. It’s not like it cost more than a few hundred.

Meanwhile, snowHeads could be used by any.
ski holidays
He's talking groupthink shit as per normal.

As opposed to just talking sh*t in general??
snow report
ousekjarr wrote:

Now no one else can start a similar enterprise using that trademark. It’s not like it cost more than a few hundred.

Meanwhile, snowHeads could be used by any.

& so what? SCGB have cunningly sown up their own initials as a TM but failed in their "mistake" to TM "snowheads". What are SCGB going to do with those initials that is so important that they didn't feel the need to do so for 100 years? Are they going to spend their time and lots of members funds with lawyers on litigating against Shropshire Council Green Bins or whatever for infringements? Do they seriously think that anyone would be deliberately infringing on them to flog holidays? Members should be asking the why - again fiddling while Rome burns.

The cynical observer would suggest that the sudden interest in this along with the involvement of a PE type guy in doing so is characteristic of trying to lock down as many assets on the books ahead of some investment or disposal event. Which would be weird wouldn't it for a not for profit members' club?
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
What are SCGB going to do with those initials that is so important that they didn't feel the need to do so for 100 years?

or to turn your question around, why didn't they do it before? The Fédération française de ski name and logo is a trademark but in the same vein who would want to use it? I don't think what the ski club have done is that unusual tbh. Whether it is what they should be focusing on now is another question and as you say, they've survived until now without registering a load of obscure acronyms.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy