Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing from Sallanche

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, staying in Sallanche for February 2023 and want to try a range of resorts as we don’t get to France often from Aussie. We are competent skiiers in all terrain and do want to mix some sightseeing with the skiing. I guess Megeve is closest and most accessible and what other suggestions - we will have a car. Any Sallanche restaurant etc recommendations welcome as well! Also some thoughts as to most cost effective ski passes??
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
if you are willing to drive an hour, you have lots of choice. You have (Megeve/St Gervais/Les Contamines/Combolux), the full (Morzine & PDS), then you have (Chamonix & Les Houches) & if you are feeling really adventurous Courmayeur in Italy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Jonny996, You forgot about Flaine/Grand Massif. Closer even than Morzine, we always used to reckon the easiest/closest skiing access from the valley was to park at the Molliets chairlift between les Carroz and Flaine, around 35 mins from Sallanches (or Vernant, a bit further, if Molliets is full).

And if one were driving to Morzine you'd drive through les Gets, so best starting skiing from there, but before that you'd also pass a much smaller, but perfectly formed, ski station called Praz de Lys/Sommand. I highly recommend it for a day or two's skiing; much more to it, including off piste, than it might appear.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
+1 for Les Carroz and the Grand Massif. However it might be worth tailoring your skiing to the most cost effective ski pass. I'm no expert, but you might want to look at the Mont Blanc unlimited ski pass https://www.montblancnaturalresort.com/en/montblanc-unlimited . A trip through the Mont Blanc tunnel to Courmeyeur to ski there for a day for example would be fun and you would have the bonus of the amazing on mountain restaurant options.
How long are you in the area for?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
4 weeks
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Vegemite skiier, So if you're there for 4 weeks you need to think about most economic lift pass strategy. There are still some deals to be had, so for example the Grand Massif season ticket, if you buy before the end of September, is about the price of 11 individual day tickets, and as well as including the 5 villages of that area will also give a certain number of days in other resorts. I can't immediately find details of which other resorts are covered but it certainly used to include Chamonix and les Megeves/Contamines etc.
https://www.grand-massif.com/en/season-ski-pass/
Oh, and I see that it's fully refundable up until the end of January if you haven't used it, which is nice.

Check out similar offers from all the other possibilities, but in your situation I think it makes sense to pick one resort as a 'base' with a season ticket and top up in the others if and when required. Realistically Flaine/Grand Massif would make the most sense, in my view, being the closest and with the most linked skiing of all those discussed (Portes du Soleil excepted, but really to access the whole linked area you need to get to Avoriaz which is quite a trek from Sallanches).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi @Chaletbeauroc, is Grand Massif closer than Megeve to ski? We are confident skiers on all slopes so which resort(s) would best suit us? Is car parking an issue say in February?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
From Sallanches (note the s) Megeve is slightly closer (around 25 mins instead of 35) but you need to bear in mind that in itself it's a small ski area; although the lift pass covers Saint Gervais, Saint Nicolas de Véroce, Combloux, La Giettaz and les Contamines each of those is also a small ski area, not (mostly) linked together.

Flaine/Grand Massif is huge. And very well linked. I used to do a lot of ski leading there and would still be finding interesting skiing after two or three weeks, whereas the others are really more suitable to just a day or two each. Not knocking them, and would certainly recommend that you visit them, but ten or fifteen days skiing in the GM would not get boring, in Megeve etc. it might.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Vegemite skiier wrote:
Is car parking an issue say in February?

I wouldn't ski at all in that area in February.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rjs wrote:
Vegemite skiier wrote:
Is car parking an issue say in February?

I wouldn't ski at all in that area in February.

Really helpful.

There's a reason that February gets busy, you know; several reasons, really. And while you may not like it it's clear that the OP is 'limited' to that month, if having a whole month can be thought of as limited at all, that is wink

Anyway, I don't have recent experience of parking in that area, but the key would be to make sure you're getting to the lift/parking early. Typically ski carparks fill up from lift opening time such that by ten you might be be struggling, with sometimes a few more spaces coming free towards lunchtime if you're lucky.

Make sure you're aware of which French school areas are on holiday over the month (they stagger them across the country) to be best prepared for when the crowds will be worst; you'll get a lot of Dutch people in those areas as well, so check their dates too. Saturday is usually the best day for locals and seasonaires, as most holidaymakers are forced into Saturday arrival and departures.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 11-08-22 11:19; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi @FreeRider, unfortunately February is the month - any hints or tips?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Buy a Grand Massif season pass for €525 before end Sept. This also let's you to ski 1.5 days in each of the other areas, like Megeve, Combloux, Les Contamines etc.

I've done a couple of weekends in the GM from Sallanches, both times driving to Samoens, though there are closer car parks where you can access chairlifts directly. Samoens town is really nice, lots of events in the town Square. Sixt is also really pretty.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If forced to ski in February school holidays, start really early, then stop for a break/early lunch snack around 1130. Then ski all through lunch hour when the restaurants will be packed and the lift queues correspondingly shorter. When the restaurants empty and the afternoon ski school snakes start up, life does become more difficult. Get some local knowledge on quieter areas and maybe be prepared to pack up a bit early. The uplift in Flaine is good, and the pistes can be very crowded as a result, especially if snow isn't great on the lower areas.

The first week of February is NOT school hols, so maximise you exploration of the area then, so you will know how to escape the crowds later. Might be worth hiring an instructor/guide one day that week and asking them to show you the best areas to escape the crowds.

Saturday changeover days are quieter on the slopes. But you'll need to get up the mountain early in the day. If you decide on a day's rest, Sunday is a good day to choose!

One final tip - practice with the snow chains so you can fit them in a couple of minutes.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Friday is a good "day off", too. All the boy racers are out determined to damage themselves - and you - after a week in ski school. This is particularly true of resorts with masses of Brits. The last few hours of a Friday in half term with less-than-good ski conditions are well worth spending in a bar with a nice view.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Vegemite skiier, sounds a great plan.

With a car, Sallanches gives easy access to so many resorts. As someone pointed out, it will be a challenge working out the best way to buy ski passes, but that will be an internet project while you get your ideas together. People here will be able to give practical advice on the individual areas.

Your main issue is French school holidays meaning that car parks will get pretty busy (visitors from other countries with their own half term holidays contribute too). The main access ski lifts will have long queues, particularly in the morning when parents are shepherding their children to ski school. You will just have to work round that, as someone said, the best strategy is to arrive early.
snow report
pam w wrote:

One final tip - practice with the snow chains so you can fit them in a couple of minutes.

It's reasonable to assume that any car rental will be properly fitted with winter tyres - indeed it's now a legal requirement in many parts of France, so the chances of needing chains are very remote. I would advise on getting a 4wd car for better traction on the uphill, but that's nowhere near as significant as having decent winter tyres.
ski holidays
Quote:

It's reasonable to assume that any car rental

Not if you rent it from the French side of Geneva airport (or any of the Italian airports) it isn't. I agree winter tyres are vital, and the need for chains is remote - but February is a snowy month and a keen skier staying in Sallanches will want to be up one of the surrounding Alps on days when it's snowing heavily. Not being confident about getting chains on quickly is just foolish. And on snowy busy transfer days the police are quite likely to insist on chains driving up to somewhere like Flaine.
snow conditions
@pam w, I know this used to be the case, but the new rules about having to have winter tyres between November and March will come into force for next winter, so I think it very unlikely that it will continue like that.
snow report
There's been talk over the years about "new rules" about winter tyres in France and Italy, but can you point us to anything conclusive?
snow conditions
Err, sure, I could google it, but I could equally well point to the new signposts on the Pas de Morgins a few hundred metres from where I sit, or on the rural roads in Alsace (not in the mountains) where I was sitting a couple of days ago.

Here's the official rules: https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/actualites/A14389

That says that the rules entered into 'vigueur' last winter, but I don't think the signs had been erected then and other people living in France have said they will need to take action before winter 2022/23 when they will apparently be actively enforcing it.

The main difference is that the rules are applied to many more roads than previously and don't just require proper equipment in 'temps de neige' as previously, but specify the dates regardless of the state of the road.
snow conditions
@Chaletbeauroc, Thanks for confirming that winter tyres are not required.in France.
latest report
So, no change in practical terms, so far as travellers from the UK are concerned, and unless there are very recent changes the same applies in Italy. Neither in Italy nor in France are standard rental cars generally going to have winter tyres and it's worth checking whether chains are provided and, if so, whether they are the right size.
snow conditions
I don't think you've quite understood (and I've no idea what rjs is on about). Any car used in any of the departments/municipalities that have adopted this, which includes all of the Alpine ones (full list here https://www.odopass.fr/loi-montagne) must have winter tyres fitted or correctly-sized chains in the boot between November and March.

Even if you're not driving in the mountains;
even if it's not been snowing;
even if it's bright sunshine and 25 degrees.

So yes, any rental car from any of those places will have to, by law, be so equipped.

Whether they go with providing a set of chains, which would need to be checked on each new rental and subject to abuse/damage/loss or simply put winter tyres on them, remains to be seen. I suspect the latter.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
So, no change in practical terms, so far as travellers from the UK are concerned, and unless there are very recent changes the same applies in Italy. Neither in Italy nor in France are standard rental cars generally going to have winter tyres and it's worth checking whether chains are provided and, if so, whether they are the right size.

The Haute-Savoie has applied the winter tire/chains to the whole department. This may not be legal. It has been thrown out by the Puy de Dome administrative court as excessive

https://www.capital.fr/auto/larrete-rendant-les-pneus-dhiver-obligatoires-retoque-dans-le-puy-de-dome-1442157

As for hire companies, things have evolved with the new law but you need to book a car with winter tires/equipment in advance. Some information:-

Avis have winter tires available from the following agencies: https://www.avis.fr/services-avis/v%C3%A9hicules-de-location/vehicules-neige/agences-de-location-de-vehicules-neige

Sixt charge 30 € / day for winter tires and only from certain offices.

Hertz have cars equipped with snow tires in the following regions Rhône-Alpes, Grand-Est, Pyrénées and South-East. I think there is a supplement per rental.

Europcar have winter tires or equipment in all the agencies in the Zone Loi Montagne.

Note, not all cars are equipped with winter tires but they are available in certain agencies.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 14-08-22 17:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
I don't think you've quite understood (and I've no idea what rjs is on about). Any car used in any of the departments/municipalities that have adopted this, which includes all of the Alpine ones (full list here https://www.odopass.fr/loi-montagne) must have winter tyres fitted or correctly-sized chains in the boot between November and March.

Grenoble, for example, which is the largest French alpine town, doesn't require winter tires and you can drive to Lyon, despite going over a 650 meter pass which has very poor conditions (terres froides) without going through such a zone.
latest report
Quote:

I've no idea what rjs is on about

I can explain (I do understand some things....). You said there were new rules which would mean you "had to have winter tyres" between November and March. When I asked you to point us to the details, you linked a piece saying that the rule required winter tyres OR chains. The geographical coverage of the rules might change but those signs have been on loads of roads in the snowy parts of France for years.
snow report
The free ski busses round the areas I know are equipped with winter tyres but they also have chains and sometimes have to use them when it's very snowy. They are often late, and slow, getting them on, especially early in the season.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I've no idea what rjs is on about

I can explain (I do understand some things....). You said there were new rules which would mean you "had to have winter tyres" between November and March. When I asked you to point us to the details, you linked a piece saying that the rule required winter tyres OR chains. The geographical coverage of the rules might change but those signs have been on loads of roads in the snowy parts of France for years.

There is a new sign

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
The geographical coverage of the rules might change but those signs have been on loads of roads in the snowy parts of France for years.

As Davidof says, the signs are new, and all of the ones I've seen have an extra panel beneath showing the dates it's in operation. Most importantly though, in the past such signs as there were only applied if there was snow on the road; now the state of the road is irrelevant to the requirement. Oh, and I noticed on Saturday that the one at the border here does state that it applies to the whole department, rather than just the specific bit of road you're on.

The old signs were to actually tell you which bits of road you needed to fit chains in times of snow, unless you have winter tyres. Quite different.
snow report
Well, in terms of "are winter tyres compulsory", not a bit different. And no practical difference for people driving to the French ski stations whether in their own car, or in a rental car. As ever, winter tyres are great to have. I'd always have chains too, just as I always have (but by no means always wear) a life jacket on a yacht.
latest report
If you are driving up and down to a resort(s) every day for a month, you really need to fully winterize your car. You can't expect wing it on summer tyres like the once-a-year drive down folk.
snow report
Sorry I am getting really confused here. Yes it would be prudent to have winter tires & chains but is it mandatory?

Will a UK car on all condition tires get stopped by police for not having winter tires?
latest report
Jonny996 wrote:
Sorry I am getting really confused here. Yes it would be prudent to have winter tires & chains but is it mandatory?

Will a UK car on all condition tires get stopped by police for not having winter tires?

It is very simple.

If you are visiting the French mountains in winter you need either tires with the Snowflake mark or chains.

If hiring check with the hire company that they will include these.
snow conditions
Quote:

Not normally, but in snowy conditions police sometimes will insist you put on chains (not just have them in the boot).

What I'm not sure about is what will happen if you have winter tyres, but are also required to put on chains, but don't have chains. I have been required by police to put on chains on my winter tyres and my brother in law was required to put chains on a car rented from Geneva, with winter tyres. No problem in either case, but I imagine that whilst the "new" law does not REQUIRE you to carry chains if you have winter tyres, the police are still authorised to stop you driving up the hill without them. The time I was required by police to put on chains was just above Albertville, driving up to the Beaufortain. It was a major Snowmageddon event and there was a lot of snow on the ground even in Albertville, which is unusual. There was no discussion - you put your chains on, or you turn round and drive back down the hill. The gendarme was absolutely uninterested in the nature of my tyres and I was happy enough to put the chains on. Without them I'd definitely not have got up the hill because the carnage on the road meant that snowploughs couldn't get through and a lot of vehicles were in difficulty.
snow conditions
@pam w, It's worth noting that the new law doesn't require that you carry chains as well, if you have winter tyres on. Whether the Gendarmes will still have the occasional roadside pull-in to insist you mount chains is a good question, and indeed whether they would insist you do so even if you have winter tyres.

I don't actually have chains that fit any of our current vehicles, but they're all 4wd with winter tyres, and I've never been forced to mount chains or turned back due to lack of them in the past twenty-odd years.

Perhaps Swiss plates makes it less likely in the first place, or I've just got lucky, but up until your post I've never heard of anyone with proper winter tyres being forced to use chains as well. Of course, French Gendarmes aren't known for their reasonable-ness wink
ski holidays
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
From Sallanches (note the s) Megeve is slightly closer (around 25 mins instead of 35) but you need to bear in mind that in itself it's a small ski area; although the lift pass covers Saint Gervais, Saint Nicolas de Véroce, Combloux, La Giettaz and les Contamines each of those is also a small ski area, not (mostly) linked together.

Flaine/Grand Massif is huge. And very well linked. I used to do a lot of ski leading there and would still be finding interesting skiing after two or three weeks, whereas the others are really more suitable to just a day or two each. Not knocking them, and would certainly recommend that you visit them, but ten or fifteen days skiing in the GM would not get boring, in Megeve etc. it might.

I ski 20-30 days a year in Les Contamines so must have a high boredom threshold Very Happy
snow conditions
Not sure why anyone other than the occasional driver wouldn't carry chains. They only cost £50 or half that on eBay/FB.
ski holidays
Quote:

Of course, French Gendarmes aren't known for their reasonable-ness

Well that might be so, but in the case where I was "forced" to put chains on they were absolutely 100% correct. It is not that uncommon on busy transfer days for chains to be compulsory, winter tyres or not. You have not been on SHs very long, but there have often been reports of days when chains were mandatory going up the last steep hills into resorts. Granted, you are very unlikely to have to use chains if you have 4WD and good (not half worn out) winter tyres but in the case of bog standard cars it would be foolhardy to assume you'll be fine without chains.
ski holidays
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
From Sallanches (note the s) Megeve is slightly closer (around 25 mins instead of 35) but you need to bear in mind that in itself it's a small ski area ... Flaine/Grand Massif is huge. And very well linked...

If internet sources are to be believed, Grand Massif has 265km of lift-linked piste while Megeve-St Gervais has 260km. Not such a big difference. Plus the lift pass includes another 180km odd across Combloux-La Giettaz and Les Contamines though those cannot be accessed from the main area without driving to a different access point.
latest report
I think the main Megeve area is linked by bus to the Combloux/La Giettaz area, which is just the other side of the road (the less snowy side). But yes, Les Contamines is a bit further away (not as the crow flies, it's just across a ridge).

There's also the Espace Diamant with 200 km of lift linked piste, accessed from Praz sur Arly, just a stones throw up the valley from Megeve.

Very different - very French, much quieter. But worth a visit for a change of scene and ambience (as long as you're not scared of tough draglifts!).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy