Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

90 days in Schengen planner app

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Yoda, well, it's an explanation...I get how it works but it can't manage time zones for future purposes when planning. E.g. Portugal us on UK time but Spain is an hour ahead. Unless you put the date, time of arrival and destination in the app it will show the results based on UK time.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@holidayloverxx, I haven't an Android device with which to play - are you actually trying this out and finding that it doesn't do what you want?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Yoda, I'm being pedantic I suppose. The app only allows you to put in the dates of travel, nothing more. You can enter past trips and future plans, nothing more.

From your explanation what it seems to do is adjust the date of arrival or departure when you are actually in the first destination country. I expect in the vast majority if cases it makes no odds, but if it was important to someone then there is a risk they are a day out when they plan the trip and book transport. When you first put in your travel history again, depending on the date/time of day you travelled, the actual number of days calculated could be different to reality.

If the app allowed time of arrival/departure and first arrival country and final departure country it could manage the timezone for planning purposes but that's probably over complex
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@holidayloverxx, I am informed that it doesn't work like that. "You only put in the dates of your trips because that is all that the app needs to know. It does the calculations using a time zone independent method and gives the correct answer wherever you were, are or will be.

You would put in the date shown on your booking, the local date at your point of arrival in the Schengen area. The app makes sure that the date doesn't get altered by you changing time zone."

I think I understand what you are saying, my brain struggles with it as well. Perhaps the best thing is to try it - after all it's free at the moment snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Yoda, I am trying it. I still dont get how it can possibly work for planning purposes if it doesnt know where but I'll leave it there...its doing my head in
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
For those who may be confused or concerned about how the app handles time zones etc., Alice has made a short video by way of explanation:-

http://youtube.com/v/QNIbrlrAVmE
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Why does the time zone matter?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@adithorp, read the thread...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't think you need an app to be too clever on timezones unless you're totally relying on real time geolocation and trusting it as the sole source of compliance. If you're on Schengen soil in that 24 day under CET or whatever the local time zone is it counts. I guess more refined on a late flight you might just about drag your heels on getting to passport control and hope you get a stamp that reflects the rollover at midnight local but I wouldn't count on that happening. And awareness that Schengen soil starts at Ashford etc is probably important.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
holidayloverxx wrote:
@adithorp, read the thread...

I have NehNeh

Surely if you enter the date you arrive in Schengen and the date you leave, the time of either doesn't matter. Officials will base their count on the dates stamped in your passport.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yoda wrote:

Here's a technical explanation for anyone who wants to know:
The problem arises because dates in Android are manipulated as a single number, which is actually the number of milliseconds since 1 January 1970. Your phone gets the time from the network, and when you select a date, it converts it into milliseconds. When the calendar displays the date again, it converts it into day month year in local time. So if you selected 25 March as the start of your trip to Europe when you were in London and it was 11 pm on 4 March (so you were in GMT), then you arrived in Paris on 25 March, then on 3 April you were leaving Paris and opened the calendar, the calendar would have displayed 26 March because you are now in French Summertime and the number of milliseconds without correction gives 1 am on 26 March. My app shows the intended start date of 25 March."

This is the source of the particular timezone problem and therefore the explanation seems reasonable - though you'd have to be fairly daft not to notice that any app had moved your day of arrival. On a separate note there would be surely fewer potential problems if Android counted in milliseconds to midday not 00.00.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As I noted above, for most people who will only be spending a week or two in the Schengen area every year it clearly doesn't matter at all. For frequent travellers or those spending months in their second homes it can be critical - I know that back in the halcyon days before our freedom of movement was stolen from us I would decide when to travel back from my friends' depending on all sorts of factors, not least the weather, without a care as to how many days I'd been there. Forecasts of large bouchons on the roads could mean I'd hang on for a few days - but that freedom has gone.

After a month or two how many people keep track of exactly how many days they've been in residence?

In those days I also travelled frequently for work purposes - and in those instances I had no control over my length of stay or which countries I would be in. As an example, after several weeks in Romania I would have to move to Northern Germany for a week or two and then on to Denmark for several more weeks.

I assume that to accomplish that now I would have to get involved in the working visa system, which presumably? can bypass the 90 days in 180 nonsense, although since I usually had to travel at the drop of a hat I don't know how feasible it would be these days.* Thank heavens I no longer have to do that stuff.

* was always handy to have Indian and Chinese visas in the passport just in case, but it was a bit of a rigmarole to get them in the first place
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yoda wrote:
I assume that to accomplish that now I would have to get involved in the working visa system, which presumably? can bypass the 90 days in 180 nonsense

I'm not sure it can bypass the 90 in 180 rule. Prompted by Dave of the Marmottes I had a look at it earlier for France, there didn't seem to be a short-term visa option.

The only solution for what I want to do seems to be to get a long-term Tourist visa for the winter then use the visa waiver for summer business trips, but I thought that you had to state where you were going to stay for a tourist visa so not sure if that will work either.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy