Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Record temperature on Mont Blanc

Poster: A snowHead
dear me -- biggest difference is between 2021 and 22 !!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
albob wrote:
dear me -- biggest difference is between 2021 and 22 !!

also the time the big rock became exposed and they had to shorten the right piste, around 2013ish when there was another big heatwave.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just got off the glacier at L2A, a massive storm blew in and we were stuck in the resto from 10.30 till 2 p.m.

About 10 cm of new snow and well below freezing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

The scene at 3200 m this afternoon. Warm it was not!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

A bit more snow on the high tops now
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We stayed an extra day to ski Saturday. One of the very best days I’ve had at L2A in summer. Temperatures fell markedly after the storm, and we had ‘hero’ snow all day. The pisteurs had performed miracles to cover/repair all the damage.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@JamesHJ, sounds like your "jinx" is finally broken.... Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
re statistical data, is this what you were looking for? (from Ski Flight Free)
https://www.facebook.com/skiflightfree/posts/pfbid0Rbh7VHsm6bK1GUBHfB4uYstkaHnwuRAFeRvxe38ukD45Cq53y1LhBN8kc92GCkA1l
(sorry don't know how to drop in images)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tignes glacier now shut; although to be honest it never really looked good from the start. 2 week summer season this year.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you want to get that floating on powder snow feeling during these hot summer months you could always try this.... Madeye-Smiley

latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Les 2 Alpes reviewing their opening on the 6 th. Temperatures over 40 C predicted next week
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
https://en.tignes.net/webcams
Grande Motte looks grim! Surprised they have kept it open so long tbh

Hintertux looks slightly, but not much, better
https://www.bergfex.at/hintertux/webcams/c18861/
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Steilhang wrote:
https://en.tignes.net/webcams
Grande Motte looks grim! Surprised they have kept it open so long tbh

if you look at the webcam the section below the cafe looks okish and I think just this was open, I didn't see anyone on the main slopes on the webcams.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
L2A glacier to close on Sunday. 6 days before I arrive FFS Crying or Very sad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
I've just made this animation for the Tignes glacier from 2011 to 2022 on 24 June
Shocked Crying or Very sad
latest report
JamesHJ wrote:

As any fule kno, things like glacier size are on a clear trend. My question was about statistical evidence for increased fluctuations in weather.

Glacier size is on a dramatically accelerated trend because of increased temperature. Glaciers take a long time to melt, so are not very sensitive to short term fluctuations, but are sensitive to climate.

But the mechanism for increased extreme events is clear to anyone with training in mathematical sciences. The climate and weather are stochastic systems. If you put more energy into the system (in the form of increased average temperature) the size of fluctuations will also increase. It would be an extremely surprising result if that were not the case for the global climate, so much so that the converse would need strong evidence and a clear mechanism. And of course, there is very clear evidence that the increased fluctuation size is exactly what we are seeing.

This is a decent starting place if you want to read more https://www.c2es.org/content/extreme-weather-and-climate-change/

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 13-07-22 11:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Quote:

If you put more energy into the system (in the form of increased temperature) the size of fluctuations will also increase.

THIS!...almost... The amount of heat is relatively consistent, but the planet's ability to shed it has reduced due to the composition of the atmosphere. But your premise that the dynamics in a sealed system will become more energetic and chaotic the more energy you trap within it is absolutely correct.
snow report
turbosmurf wrote:
JamesHJ wrote:

As any fule kno, things like glacier size are on a clear trend. My question was about statistical evidence for increased fluctuations in weather.

Glacier size is on a dramatically accelerated trend because of increased temperature. Glaciers take a long time to melt, so are not very sensitive to short term fluctuations, but are sensitive to climate.

But the mechanism for increased extreme events is clear to anyone with training in mathematical sciences. The climate and weather are stochastic systems. If you put more energy into the system (in the form of increased average temperature) the size of fluctuations will also increase. It would be an extremely surprising result if that were not the case for the global climate, so much so that the converse would need strong evidence and a clear mechanism. And of course, there is very clear evidence that the increased fluctuation size is exactly what we are seeing.

This is a decent starting place if you want to read more https://www.c2es.org/content/extreme-weather-and-climate-change/

Thanks! That is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.
snow conditions
[quote="turbosmurf"]
JamesHJ wrote:

However, short term fluctuations (i.e. consistent very warm temperatures) can make a difference - hence Les 2 Alpes decision to close 6 weeks early:
https://www.skipedia.co.uk/2022/07/it-hurts-to-see-the-glacier-like-this-les-2-alpes-glacier-closes-six-weeks-early/
snow report
Not sure if this has been posted here or elsewhere, but another casualty of the warm weather?

https://i.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/300674002/famous-wood-cabin-falls-off-mountain-in-french-alps
latest report
@ster, Maybe, but it doesn't look like the most stable of bases for your foundation. Ideal for freeze thaw onion weathering.
latest report
@chocksaway, certainly looked a precarious structure and exposed to such processes.
snow report
@ster, well it certainly looks like they made the right decision in closing it to users back in mid July!
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
@ster, well it certainly looks like they made the right decision in closing it to users back in mid July!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy