Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Record temperature on Mont Blanc

Poster: A snowHead
A record temperature was recorded a few days ago near the summit of Mont Blanc at Col Major (altitude 4750m asl). On 18th June the temperature reached 10.4°C, 3.6°C warmer than the previous record of 6.8°C in June 2019. Report (in French): https://www.ledauphine.com/environnement/2022/06/19/mont-blanc-record-de-temperature-au-sommet
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sad Mont Blanc keeps breaking records. During the year of the great "canicule" the mountain was closed. Nothing but the glinting glaciers up there. Grim.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It is all that unemployed loafer James wossisface's fault, whenever he goes up to les Deux Alps to ski some disaster happens. Today we've got both a canicule and Madame Le Pen invited to tea at the Elysee palace by Pres. Macron as she's the official leader of the opposition in Parliament.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof wrote:
It is all that unemployed loafer James wossisface's fault, whenever he goes up to les Deux Alps to ski some disaster happens. Today we've got both a canicule and Madame Le Pen invited to tea at the Elysee palace by Pres. Macron as she's the official leader of the opposition in Parliament.

I KNOW!!!

The glacier here was also shut today for high winds, tomorrow too. It is a real mess, with huge holes gushing water on the bottom t-bar. Never seen it like that, you need to be careful not to lose a ski on the way up…
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Was speaking to my young French neighbour, she was explaining how she was meant to be going to Chamonix for mountaineering but it's a write-off this week with the isotherm well above 4,800.

Did think she said she was going anyway but her van is still in the parking.

That said the stupidly hot temps we've had the last ten or so days are disappearing along with the sun, and tomorrow it's meant to rain all day, of course, nothing to do with the big rectangular sail awning I've just installed Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Weathercam wrote:
Was speaking to my young French neighbour, she was explaining how she was meant to be going to Chamonix for mountaineering but it's a write-off this week with the isotherm well above 4,800.

Did think she said she was going anyway but her van is still in the parking.

That said the stupidly hot temps we've had the last ten or so days are disappearing along with the sun, and tomorrow it's meant to rain all day, of course, nothing to do with the big rectangular sail awning I've just installed Laughing

I’d like as many people as possible to buy barbecues, fill pools, plan cycling trips etc. I’m dealing with some pretty bad Juju here snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JamesHJ wrote:

The glacier here was also shut today for high winds, tomorrow too. It is a real mess, with huge holes gushing water on the bottom t-bar. Never seen it like that, you need to be careful not to lose a ski on the way up…

bloomin' 'ell, poor you, it looks really bad on the webcam.

https://www.les2alpes.com/hiver/live/webcams/

Tignes looks worse though.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof wrote:
It is all that unemployed loafer James wossisface's fault, whenever he goes up to les Deux Alps to ski some disaster happens.

For my benefit could you explain who James wossisface is? Puzzled

Edit: unless it's JamesHJ? Smile

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 21-06-22 19:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alastair Pink wrote:
davidof wrote:
It is all that unemployed loafer James wossisface's fault, whenever he goes up to les Deux Alps to ski some disaster happens.

For my benefit could you explain who James wossisface is? Puzzled

snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@JamesHJ, sounds like my edited comment was correct! Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It has just about reached 22c here in North Yorkshire. Warmest day of the year so far tomorrow with a possible 24c. Just about warm enough here for shorts. May even get to open the window Laughing

10c on the summit of MB is seriously warm. Not that many days when it gets that warm on Ben Nevis
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alastair Pink wrote:

Yes. Our resident researcher, currently on a well deserved break at LdA. He mentioned that he's cursed as everytime he goes there something awful happens.

Screenshot-from-2022-06-22-11-28-59

Still Tignes looks worse and they only opened the glacier last Saturday

Screenshot-from-2022-06-22-11-32-38
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pretty shocking, I had my last trip of the year in Tignes at the start of the April and experienced by best powder conditions of the 4 trips I did this season.

It shows how transient conditions will be if there isn't a good depth of snow on the glacier and we get warm conditions mid-season like we had mid-march this year when the Saharan sand hit. A good week of deep powder in April is no recovery for the glacier.

This makes me so so sad... Sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I assume Tignes glacier is closed for skiing now?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
NoMapNoCompass wrote:
Pretty shocking, I had my last trip of the year in Tignes at the start of the April and experienced by best powder conditions of the 4 trips I did this season.

It shows how transient conditions will be if there isn't a good depth of snow on the glacier and we get warm conditions mid-season like we had mid-march this year when the Saharan sand hit. A good week of deep powder in April is no recovery for the glacier.

This makes me so so sad... Sad

May and June have been roasting this year. All the glaciers will be suffering. Gardens are already brown, lakes are low, I don’t recall a late Spring/early Summer like it
snow report
davidof wrote:
I assume Tignes glacier is closed for skiing now?

Not for XC from an article yesterday, still doesn't look good though.
snow report
This morning on the glacier

snow report
Definitely not good news. We have snow reports from Tignes and Les 2 Alpes in Episode 96 of The Ski Podcast (about 14 mins in)
https://open.spotify.com/episode/0kADu9ebiLfhcHPKLD3fM4
https://audioboom.com/posts/8106718-96-royals-on-the-snow-chamonix-neil-english-pre-loved-skiwear

Neither of them particularly encouraging!
snow conditions
BobinCH wrote:

May and June have been roasting this year. All the glaciers will be suffering. Gardens are already brown, lakes are low, I don’t recall a late Spring/early Summer like it

Glad I booked my L2 qualification course on a glacier in August then Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
swskier wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Glad I booked my L2 qualification course on a glacier in August then Laughing Laughing

Waterskiing? snowHead
ski holidays
@JamesHJ, looking that way!
latest report
Just spoken to one of the cross country team members who is at Tignes - the downhill pistes were open and in use this morning. - In fact (I didn't have my glasses earlier) you can see the drag lift is in use in the foreground.
latest report
davidof wrote:
Alastair Pink wrote:

Yes. Our resident researcher, currently on a well deserved break at LdA. He mentioned that he's cursed as everytime he goes there something awful happens.

Screenshot-from-2022-06-22-11-28-59

Still Tignes looks worse and they only opened the glacier last Saturday

Screenshot-from-2022-06-22-11-32-38

Both look better than the Val D"Isere glacier.
latest report
Meanwhile in the last few days several Middle Eastern countries have experienced temperatures in excess of 50°C, with one location in Iran recording 52.2°C. Shocked
ski holidays
Meanwhile on the Ski Podcast Alex Winter says the conditions on the Tignes Glacier are nothing to do with global warming, just a bad year... Confused

The reality is that the conditions we have seen in France over the winter (not a lot of snow) and very warm in May and June are short term weather related. But climate change is not just long terms trend in climate, it has also contributed to increasingly abnormal and erratic weather, something that is becoming more and more obvious as time goes on.
ski holidays
NoMapNoCompass wrote:
Meanwhile on the Ski Podcast Alex Winter says the conditions on the Tignes Glacier are nothing to do with global warming, just a bad year... Confused

The reality is that the conditions we have seen in France over the winter (not a lot of snow) and very warm in May and June are short term weather related. But climate change is not just long terms trend in climate, it has also contributed to increasingly abnormal and erratic weather, something that is becoming more and more obvious as time goes on.

Just out of curiosity, what is the statistical evidence for the last point? There must be a good graph somewhere for such an oft-made statement.

I remember my parents moaning about how the last 15 years in their part of the UK was so much wetter. Fortunately they lived about 5 K from a weather station which had data going back 50+ years. Absolutely no evidence of any variation in rain fall over the entire period...
snow report
This is a pretty good graph, empirical evidence.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg24332483-600-special-report-how-climate-change-is-melting-frances-largest-glacier/

I have a special term for climate change deniers who are also winter sports enthusiasts - idiots
latest report
@NoMapNoCompass, By 1988 it was already dramaically reduced from when I was mountaineering there in the very early 1980s.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Surely it’s time “summer skiing” was a thing of the past to help reduce snow loss? People skiing in the mountain in summer, with high temperatures cutting up the glacier will only accelerate the melting.

Resorts should just close at the end of the ski season (April) and not reopen again until late November.
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
Surely it’s time “summer skiing” was a thing of the past to help reduce snow loss? People skiing in the mountain in summer, with high temperatures cutting up the glacier will only accelerate the melting.

Resorts should just close at the end of the ski season (April) and not reopen again until late November.

I don’t know, I’m taking part in local tourism (I got the bus to come to L2A to ski this week). I don’t suppose my ski training is particularly damaging in the grand scheme of things.

I’d prefer to ban organised ski holidays from non alpine countries, where people travel long distances by car or plane personally Toofy Grin
snow report
NoMapNoCompass wrote:
This is a pretty good graph, empirical evidence.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg24332483-600-special-report-how-climate-change-is-melting-frances-largest-glacier/

I have a special term for climate change deniers who are also winter sports enthusiasts - idiots

As any fule kno, things like glacier size are on a clear trend. My question was about statistical evidence for increased fluctuations in weather.
snow conditions
@JamesHJ, you make a valid point. We complain about global warming but emit huge amounts to go skiing some of us multiple times a year. We make excuses as to why that's ok along with many other things we do.
ski holidays
Val Thorens closed their summer ski-ing some years back. When I first went there, mid- 80s, they had 2 glaciers open every summer, as well as from Oct half-term onwards.

Also remember chatting to M Mortier, some years back, the old boy who owned the Hotel La Courronne in Argentiere. As a boy, he remembered the glacier coming right down to just above the village and showed my an old photo to prove it. It now finishes way up the mountain... Triste, hein?
ski holidays
Most thundery month, since record began. Not sure if that proves anything??!

https://www.bfmtv.com/meteo/orages-le-mois-de-juin-2022-est-le-mois-de-juin-le-plus-foudroye-depuis-le-debut-des-releves_AN-202206240045.html?fbclid=IwAR1bed_ZBPIwk63-5cFW6kaLucallmF_2NfRh3sC0b9BI3EbE2rOdltLKNs
latest report
Our work team building day to the glacier of Les Deux Alpes has been cancelled... every cloud and all that.
snow report
@davidof, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
@davidof, Laughing Laughing

the weather is very stormy today but people are still up on the glacier !
latest report
davidof wrote:
Our work team building day to the glacier of Les Deux Alpes has been cancelled... every cloud and all that.

In my experience the best team building exercise is a few drinks in a pub with your team mates after work! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
L2A webcam currently showing falling snow. Now if it could carry on until mid-July when I arrive that would be fantastic, rain and snow would also keep people from ruining the MTB trails Laughing
snow conditions
I've just made this animation for the Tignes glacier from 2011 to 2022 on 24 June

ezgif-5-137cb97562
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy