Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who has booked for 2023

Poster: A snowHead
Can we change the OP title to 2023/24?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@SHAP, surely new thread?

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 4-08-23 10:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@NickyJ, Yeah, true, but seems like a few have already jumped on this one?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Puy-St-Vincent the week before Xmas. Last year we went for New Year and drove down, unfortunately our car broke down at La Grave which resulted in a major dispute with the manufacturer so we're flying to Turin and renting a car this time.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We have booked Kitzbuhel for Jan 6th, Ryanair, car hire and apartment for the four of us. I don't know much about Kitzbuhel, except that I was hoping to do the Streif, however the races start the next week so I assume it will be closed off. I hope that the routes are open, the giggling run looks good. So any tips for where to go, best runs, etc would be appreciated.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Best snow is at Pass Thurn though many runs are a bit short (as many are in Kitzbuhel). The red valley runs at Pass Thurn/Hollersbach are good
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ellmau (Tirol Lodge right by the main gondola) at end Jan for me by myself (Innsbruck BA Club Europe Avios, car hire) and Selva (Hotel Acadia right by lift/slopes) in March. Same flight arrangement but taxi as cheaper than car hire) with OH (she’s walking) and 75 old father in law who still skis long and quick.

Same destinations and hotels as this year. I’ve got to an age where I like (and can afford) convenience of ski in/ski out.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We've booked Les Arcs for the first week of Easter. First timers there last year, booked on recommendation of some SHs. Have booked to stay in Rob's apartment in the Chantel development.

Will be driving again.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@biddpyat, i really like kitz ski area. lots of off piste potential and a good sense of travel around the ski area thats not including Keywest and the ski welt. Also some good touring round there also
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@biddpyat, I wouldn't get you hopes up too high re the Giggling run. We've spent most of the last 2 Januarys in the Kitz area (staying in Kirchberg), and neither the Giggling nor Pengelstein Sud runs were ever open. Sedlboden and Schwarzkogel were open some of the time, though Schwarzkogel was pisted (very badly - maybe it's where new recruits practise with a piste basher).

Not sure about the Streif course. From what I remember, in Jan 2022, early in the week leading up to the race weekend, the pistes down to Kitz following the downhill route were open (though only part width), but in Jan 2023 they were shut all week.

And if you're taking the Hahnenkamm gondola up from Kitz, look out for the Dave Ryding gondola
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Champoluc for December and Sauze for January. So far…
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Riederalp- Aletsch Arena in Wallis, Switzerland. We are quite enjoying longer hols in Switzerland now
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
viv wrote:
@biddpyat, I wouldn't get you hopes up too high re the Giggling run. We've spent most of the last 2 Januarys in the Kitz area (staying in Kirchberg), and neither the Giggling nor Pengelstein Sud runs were ever open. Sedlboden and Schwarzkogel were open some of the time, though Schwarzkogel was pisted (very badly - maybe it's where new recruits practise with a piste basher).

Not sure about the Streif course. From what I remember, in Jan 2022, early in the week leading up to the race weekend, the pistes down to Kitz following the downhill route were open (though only part width), but in Jan 2023 they were shut all week.

And if you're taking the Hahnenkamm gondola up from Kitz, look out for the Dave Ryding gondola
Thanks I will do.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Val Thorens 30th Dec
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Val Thorens 08th December and Avoriaz 07th January. Cannot wait Very Happy
snow report
@buchanan101, We have also booked Ellmau for next year, staying at the Hotel Der Bär.

Do you have any recommendations or tips about Ellmau?
snow conditions
@Alexltfc, Only there for 4 nights and stayed right by the Hartkasier gondola, so have nothing to say about the village. It was pretty good back in the 80s, quieter than Soll. and looks quite pleasant now.

Skiing? Probably no tips other than you know already. I was always on the 8am gondola and skiing is glorious for 2 or 3 hours until everyone else gets up there. Some modest queues, especially towards Soll, but there are some good runs various directions from the Hohe Salve. Right at the top can get tricky as I think it's two blacks or a red down, and the red can mogul up badly. A couple, of cranky really old lifts in the Soll area on the SW side - which were probably there when I went in the 80s..., one of which I think you need if approaching Soll from the south. Better approach round the north side of the Hohe Salve. Lifts otherwise just about as good as anywhere in Austria.

Valley runs to Soll, Scheffau and Ellmau surprisingly good. Top part of Scheffau home run if you do the blue isn't very nice as it's a path that is too steep for a path. Bottom half a blast. Ellmau home run - red options much better as less travelled and barely steeper.

Unless you go via Going, with a strange run down to the Hartkaiser gondola, I think you have to use the gondola to access the SkiWelt area - it's a bit of a walk from the village. Skiing back to Ellmau village is possible I think, but you need a really old long cranky lift out from the base of the gondola towards Going.

Link to Westendorf and Kitzbuhel via Brixen. I didn't do that in my 3 days, but will be this year,
snow report
@sheffskibod, hi
You sound like a sound person who " likes to get his moneys worth" any tips for this relative ski holiday Virgin in getting some/week or 3 skiing?
Thanks in advance
Mike
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy