Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Harder slopes sans technique

Poster: A snowHead
@Old Fartbag, ah, yeah, it's helpful to see it, thanks! Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@cametumbling, I'd echo the suggestions to change your boots again. Hire boots usually aren't great but it should be possible to get reasonably comfortable boots that don't cause lots of pain. Different brands & boots have different shapes so swapping to a different brand might help (if the hire shop has more than 1). Your feet shouldn't be moving in your boots when you ski; that suggests the boots are too big and/or the wrong shape. You're aiming for a fit that feels like a firm handshake all over, with the grip round your heel and ankle being the most important bit. When you first put the boots on, your toes should just touch the front of the boots; when you flex your ankles into a skiing position, your toes will pull back a bit. My guess is that a 26/26.5 (I think most manufacturers split sizes on the whole numbers, not the .5s that @DaveoftheMarmottes suggested) is probably too big for you.

If you do have high arches then rental boots with flat floppy footbeds won't be helping and a "size 26" will just be the same shell as a 26.5 but with a thicker footbed (which may well have squashed down anyway). On the other hand if what you mean is you have a high instep (I.e. your foot is high over the top of the foot) then you will probably find that some boots are really painful when you tighten the 3rd and 4th buckles enough to hold your heel firmly. In this case, trying several different boots may help as some have more volume here than others.

If you're really struggling for motivation/confidence, why not skip a morning of lessons and use the time to get your boots properly sorted when you're not rushing to get to lessons or knackered after.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Poor you what a nightmare.

Number one non-negotiable point is comfortable well fitting boots. When I had boot pain in late January I came this close to giving up skiing. And when i finally managed to find boots that fitted, the joy was indescribable. It really can make or break the experience. It’s worth chucking money at the problem if you are able to. I ended up getting custom liners and insoles made by surefoot in Verbier and the boots punched out to fit. But it ain’t cheap Eh oh!

Number two - in spring especially, timing is all - don’t start skiing too early. The snow will still be frozen from overnight. And if you struggle later in the day in slushier snow then just stop. You will gain nothing from trying to ski in conditions that are too hard for you and will just have a miserable time. If that means skiing just three or four hours a day well fine. Quality over quantity and you can use the rest of the afternoon to go road biking, walking sunbathing or just chilling in the Sun. The alps are gorgeous in spring and there is life beyond skiing

Number 3 - trickier in France for legal reasons but if you can, get a private lesson with an Anglo instructor. of course there are many great French instructors, but British Irish Canadian Australian American instructors do things in a different way and for many it works a lot better.

Number four - find a nice run and stick to it. You are way better off doing 10 laps of a mellow blue with nice snow than constantly moving from piste to piste.

And finally, I know this is hard to believe at the moment, but spring snow can actually be some of the nicest skiing there is. As your technique improves you will enjoy it more and more until eventually that nasty messy porridge becomes a glorious playground of soft forgiving snow. Remember this: in a fight between steel and slush there is only one winner Eh oh!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Couple of things. First, it isn't freeing overnight and the very soft snow is here to stay.

Regarding terrain selection, the Altiport green runs above Meribel face north and get less sun. I would suggest going up Pas du Lac to the mid station, walking up ten metres and traversing across on the blue run. I'd lap the Altiport chair and download to Meribel on the Rhodos and return on the bus.

The snow is better higher up but the runs are steeper and you may find them too difficult.

I would avoid skiing anything below the bottom of the Altiport chair and definitely avoid both Truite and trying to ski down into Meribel or Mottaret. No shame in taking the lift down.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@gorilla, thanks Gorilla, I'm trying to get the hang of directionality but not there yet. In addition to your suggestions, I was considering taking Loze over to Courchevel (since the cable car is closed) and doing some greens there, hopefully downloading on the way back to avoid hard pic bleu. (I'd love to take Creux down but I'm scared of the bowl at the top.)

Still trying to figure out the VT route, but was hoping Cretes to Jerusalem into St Martin and Gros Tougne to Les Menuires might be doable for me.

Any chance you know if it's possible to download on Loze/Boquetins chairlifts? I'm well-experienced in doing so on the gondolas Laughing , but not sure how it works with chairs.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Davidgdg, thanks David, yeah it's been a nightmare indeed. I absolutely should have gotten the boot thing sorted earlier, I just lacked confidence in navigating that situation and that set me up for a real mess. That's good advice about sticking to one run -- I learned on a small mountain back home where there was only one green I could do, and then one blue. I felt so bored but actually that probably helped me and built my confidence. Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Today's update (so far) is in the Piste forum, "Barf-level ankle tendon pain" -- heh Confused
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@cametumbling, When are you leaving Mottaret and can your departure be easily delayed? Are you going anywhere else afterwards?

What concerns me (and almost certainly you), is that you are likely to be ingraining the hurt caused by those ill fitting boots, to the point where it will become too painful to ski. This needs to be avoided at all costs. They are also causing a vicious circle.....the boots hurt -> affects technique -> causes you to tense up -> confidence dives -> boots hurt even more etc.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Old Fartbag, yeah, I don't know if you saw my other post, but that is what's happened, it seems.

After that short but horrific tiny-run this morning, I did get new boots.

I'm just too scared to try them.

I want to try them to see if they've fixed the problem, and to know how to proceed vis-a-vis lessons, skiing at all, extending my stay, etc.

Because the tendon pain did go away after an hour or two on Monday, I didn't peg it as the primary cause of my anxiety yesterday. I thought it was my snowboard accident, the bad conditions, the steep run, etc. But as soon as I had gone one meter today I realized it was largely due to the fact that I've been in screaming pain. I've no idea why or how it dissipated Monday, and that gave me hope that it would again, and it seemed the more I skied that day the better it got. But, all told, I ignored a LOT of pain for quite a few days and today I absolutely could not. It was like a week ago when I thought I'd have to walk down Truite.

I do think I have the right boots now. But I don't know how much more my tendons can take. Will they be okay now, or will even a tiny bit more skiing really mess me up? I don't know how to know. They're a bit tingly, but not hot to the touch, and palpating them gives a "this should really be foam-rolled" pain, but nothing more.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@cametumbling, can you book yourself a 1 hour private lesson asap and take your new boots out on that? After an hour you'll know - and the instructor can assist with doing them up etc. Plenty of ski schools in the responses above. Difficult when you're on your own, so the help/someone to rescue you/someone with knowledge might calm the anxiety.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@cametumbling, To keep things simple, I'll reply on your other thread.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ElzP, I need a private benefactor Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@cametumbling, yeah, not the cheap option. Embarassed

Here's a wild thought though - do you have a day or so of the group lessons left? Go to the ski school and ask to change to a private, see if they can do you a swap deal of a private lesson in exchange. And make a bit deal of the fear and the pain. It might work... I'm sure I've read of some people on here doing similar when group lessons haven't worked out for them?

Edited to add - I realise your current ski school isn't filling you with confidence, but they might have a few kindly instructors (maybe specifically ask for someone older with good English?), and besides it's better than following the teenagers around.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That's not a bad idea, @ElzP. I'll go down and ask. Even though I was in shock from the pain, the feeling of riding the gondola away from the group lesson this morning was magnificent. Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cametumbling wrote:
That's not a bad idea, @ElzP. I'll go down and ask. Even though I was in shock from the pain, the feeling of riding the gondola away from the group lesson this morning was magnificent. Laughing

Also, sell your case on the grounds that you don't want to hold a Class up (which could cause them complaints).
snow report
cametumbling wrote:

Ha, I bet - I hope you rewarded yourself! Very Happy
snow report
Ok, so, positive update! Well, first the negative: ESF will not reimburse anything, but they will give a credit (for this season only...of course Confused ) if you have a doctor's note. So I went to the doctor. The positive is that I have not permanently damaged anything. So! I'm hoping the new boots will solve everything and I will have a great day of skiing tomorrow. I won't have to take any more ESF lessons...except that I will have the credit which I will use for a private lesson...or maybe I will wrangle with my credit card company and try to get a reimbursement (as the ESF woman actually recommended!) and be done with them.

Thanks everyone for staying tuned a whole 24 hours and I hope I will have an *actually*-positive SKIING update tomorrow! Razz
snow conditions
cametumbling wrote:

....and I hope I will have an *actually*-positive SKIING update tomorrow! Razz

Maybe then a name change to "cameturning" will be in order. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Old Fartbag wrote:
cametumbling wrote:

....and I hope I will have an *actually*-positive SKIING update tomorrow! Razz

Maybe then a name change to "cameturning" will be in order. Toofy Grin

Maybe 'camecruising'? Very Happy

Good luck!!
snow conditions
@cametumbling, if you’re looking for a private instructor I can recommend Andy Parker https://www.ap-ski.com/. I think he used to be one of the Ski Marmalade crew and he’s very down to Earth and has boosted my confidence in the past.
snow report
@cametumbling, ask your ski shop for a really good instructor maybe and have a private lesson with them?
snow conditions
ElzP wrote:

Maybe 'camecruising'? Very Happy

Even better - Though I'd make it camecruisin' Cool
snow report
@Old Fartbag, even better again! Cool

@cametumbling, hope you're having a better day today and much less pain? Looking forward to hearing how you got on!
snow report
ElzP wrote:
@Old Fartbag, even better again! Cool

@cametumbling, hope you're having a better day today and much less pain? Looking forward to hearing how you got on!

New Name; New Boots; New Instructor; New outlook.

Happy Days.
snow conditions
Oh my lord, sorry for the delay everyone...I sat down on the couch away from my laptop and it took me several hours to get up, make food, and acquire appropriate laptop positioning...because I am so bloody exhausted FROM SKIING Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

The boots were definitely better, but whoever made the point that it's tough to match women's calf size to foot size was spot on. I'm going to have to buy my own boots. So, what I did was I took my sweet time. First I did a green run to make sure it wasn't screaming pain like yesterday. When that was okay, I started my journey.

Now, I know some of you might find it silly, but I really became fascinated with the idea of the three (four!) valleys, and the mountain restaurants, and the blog posts detailing how to connect it all using only green and blue runs...it's my first time with all this stuff, it really blew my mind, and I had this vision of how this week would be. I hope I don't offend anyone here by saying it wasn't primarily about skiing, but about the whole experience. I did think if I enrolled in classes (6 days of classes is A LOT of classes!) that I would be able to ski parallel by the end, and that that would make the blues even better: I wouldn't just make it from A to B, I'd do it in style. Cool #camecruisin'

You guys already know the frustration that I experienced instead. So, I looked at Fatmap, and the gradients of all the runs I'd done and felt okay on, the gradients of all the runs between here and there, and how I might get from A to B in my own way -- downloading, busses, greens, easy blues, all of it.

Today's goal was to get to Courchevel Moriond, specifically to the Bel Air restaurant (for no other reason than that I'd read about it and it sounded neat). Originally, following the itineraries online, I knew all I had to do was take the gondola up from Mottaret, where I'm staying, go down the Creux blue run, and I'd basically be there. Easy. Except now, looking at the gradient of Creux at the top, I knew I wouldn't be able to do it. I mean, I could, but the way things are going with the boots and my anxiety is...probably not gonna happen.

So (and apologies if this is waaaay too much detail), I planned my own route. I took the bus down into Meribel, took a gondola (Rhodos) up, took a green (Blanchot) halfway down to another chair (Loze). Took the chair up to the Col de la Loze (one of the reasons I initially became fascinated by this place, during the Tour de France). Took the easy blue cat trail across the top, a long green (Loze est, Verdons) down into Meribel, a chair up (Jardin Alpin), a green down (Bellecote), a drag lift up (Altiport), an easy blue down and around (Prameruel), a lift up (Roc Mugnier), an easy blue down (Ariondaz)...just working my way over to Moriond. It took ages and I knew I couldn't ski back, so I had about 15 minutes sitting in the sun at the Bel Air, then I hurried down (over trails that were dirt in places and should have been closed! -- Petits bosses, Indiens, bottom slush zone) and caught the bus all the way back to La Tania, took the gondola and then a lift (Dou des Lanches) back up to the top at Col de la Loze, sat in the sun again, and then downloaded on the Loze lift, waving at everyone on the way back. They all laughed and said Bonjour, which was nice of them and not too embarrassing. Gosh it's scary to take a chairlift down though! Eeee! And then I worked my way back to Mottaret (Alitport, Blanchot, Rhodos, Tougnete, Perdrix), which I should have just taken some busses to, but I was tired of that so I tried to link together some greens and that's when the tumbling and hiking happened. rolling eyes

I'd love to say the day was pain-free, but that wasn't the case. Especially before I'd accepted what I needed to do, I was grinning through gritted teeth. It was amazing to go over the top and down into Courchevel, but ouch. They have those circles with numbers in them to the side of the piste. I don't know what distance they demarcate. But the green I took down went from 18 to 1, and I'd already done the blue before that. It was way too much. I realized it wasn't the grade of the piste that mattered (so long as the snow was intact!), it was the time I spent in skis. So from then on, after every few markers, I took off my skis and loosened my boots. This meant it was veerrryyyy slow going...but I achieved my goals, and did have a few short but glorious camecruisin moments! Little Angel Little Angel Little Angel Courchevel is as ridiculous as they say -- I took a Gucci branded gondola that went over a Louis Vuitton yurt. Aside from that, the places I went were just so gorgeous and amazing that yeah, I really wish I could just do Creux and get back there in a heartbeat...but I made it there and I enjoyed it very much. Col de la Loze and crossing into another valley was so so cool, but I also really loved Prameruel down out back through the trees (which felt like a secret and which was really hard to see on the piste map so I only discovered it at the last minute, thankfully) and then up into a perfect white expanse at the top of the next lift, completely separate from the rest of the world.

Wow that was a long post, sorry... I just feel so lucky to be here, and so glad to have you guys rooting for me -- I don't know if I would have gone out and done today if I hadn't had all your lovely advice and support. Smile
ski holidays
Oh and yes, I made it back in time to sit in the sun with an aperol spritz here in Mottaret Smile
ski holidays
I'm glad you were able to have a skiing adventure today.
latest report
@motyl, thanks for the rec! I've bookmarked his page. Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Old Fartbag, thanks OF Smile
snow report
@cametumbling, AMAZING! I'm seriously impressed by your bravery and resilience, that's quite a day and sounds like you really took it at your own pace and totally owned your plans. Absolutely brilliant, really pleased for you. Maybe remember how fatigued you might get next time. Laughing So good though, maybe by the end of your time there you will have to ask admin here to change your name. Cool #teamcamecruisin'

By the way, also have that calf/foot problem with my boots (have horse riding calfs), if you're going to stick with it definitely buy your own (from a good bootfitter!)

Anyway, result. snowHead
latest report
Quote:

I'm seriously impressed by your bravery and resilience, that's quite a day

+1 Impressed, very. But I wouldn't ask that much of myself - I wouldn't ask that much thinking/planning, and I wouldn't ask that much painful skiing, either.

Don't want to be personal, but have you got large calves? I know from a lot of correspondence here, from our experience bootfitters, that that can be a real problem requiring personal attention.
ski holidays
@cametumbling, too cool! so very well done! and that is what SHs is here for snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
@cametumbling, my son had your issue (small feet, large calves, inflexible ankles). CEM at Solutions4Feet sent him away after the first visit to work on ankle flexibility. Second visit fitted him in a pair of boots that he can now ski all day. It’s fixable.
ski holidays
@cametumbling, That is a truly epic day - I know quite a few experienced skiers who would hesitate at such a tour, so really well done!

As others have said, a trip (and a bit of cash) at a good bootfitter will make such a tremendous difference to your experience. BTW another vote for Solutions4Feet here.

And I totally get what you say about it being a whole experience, not just the skiing. You can ski in a big warehouse here in the UK - but skiing along through the trees, with the smell of pine resin in your nostrils and the sound of birds in your ears; or a lovely meal in a mountain restaurant with a great view through the window. That's what it's all about for me (oh, and some great turns too).
latest report
The general theme, which you have taken on board is:

- Nobody can ski if in agony from Boots - let alone somebody grappling with the basics (which is hard enough if fit and not in pain).
- Sort problem with a good Bootfitter.
- When not in pain, get some Private Lessons with a recommended Instructor. Class lessons, with a group of Teenagers, who have the suppleness of a Contortionist, the fitness of a Racing Snake, the energy of an Eveready Bunny and the bravery of a Kamikaze Pilot - is not ideal.
- Practice. Practice. Practice.
snow report
Been wondering how @cametumbling has been getting on after the epic day - hopefully well!
snow conditions
ElzP wrote:
Been wondering how @cametumbling has been getting on after the epic day - hopefully well!

"cameknackered"? Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Thanks everyone!!! It was epic and although it seems like the distant past, I might have to rest on those laurels...

I took yesterday off and planned how I would tackle the rest of the 3 Valleys, then I went to the tourist office and asked how I could get back from Val Thorens by downloading. It turns out you really, really can't -- there's no way from VT, the piste down the valley to Les Menuires/Belleville is melted by now, and the bus between the towns doesn't accept skiers. I analyzed the long blue that is the key route, Lac de la Chambre, and thought it might be high enough that the snow would still be good and I could do it.

But yesterday afternoon I went over to Mont Vallon and back using lifts, and talked to people that had just come down that piste, and they said it was horrible.

Today was my last day of pass/skis, so I had planned to do a route over and down into Belleville and Les Menuires and back.

But when I woke up I really wasn't feeling well, and my neck still hurt from the tumbles, so I had a bit of a lie in, and when I got up properly it was already 20° -- it just didn't feel right. Walking around the past couple weeks, I've never seen so many injuries, especially in women of my age. I had a good day over to Courchevel, and I didn't want to be just slipping and sliding down to Belleville, on what's supposed to be a gorgeous and famous run (Jerusalem). If I'd gotten an early start as planned it probably would've been good (but maybe not, since it definitely hasn't been freezing overnight), but I didn't, and I didn't want to put myself in a pickle.

I know several people have said that spring skiing is good. But the conditions here are really sloppy, even at the peaks. I do see everyone sliding and cursing. Other people have told me that being heavy shouldn't hurt me (I'm not fat, just "Germanic", according to my orthopedist Laughing ), because you have more weight to grip the snow. But in these conditions that logic doesn't seem to hold, pun intended!! All 5 foot 10 inches of me is just hurtling all over the place, with a waterfall to hold me up.

I did extend my stay here a week, and I'm going to get the pietons pass (way cheaper than a ski pass!) so that I can visit those incredible views and have an overpriced beverage at altitude on a daily basis.

The weather is supposed to turn mid-week, and I have my fingers crossed that that might mean more skiing before I have to leave next Saturday.

In the meantime, I'll continue my work of trying to get a job in the UK (that's the real reason I'm in Europe!) so that I can visit Solutions4Feet before next season!! Laughing Hopefully you'll find me at Hemel (or...where?) perfecting my parallel before I wind up in the alps again. Besides that, lining up one of the private instructors you've recommended, and doing a lot of Pilates and losing a stone or two, any suggestions of how to prepare so I don't repeat this somewhat-lost opportunity would be much appreciated. Little Angel

And if I am able to hit the slopes again later in the week, I will be sure to update everyone. Very Happy

For now, I sit with spritz in hand, getting far too much sun. Happy Easter/Passover, everyone!
snow conditions
Ahem and yes, cameknackered it is Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Just reading this now and wish I had read it on 12 April when posted. Just back from 3 weeks in France and we were in Meribel 9 to 17 April so could have met up. I could have skied with you and as we have 3 BASI 4 instructors in the family could possibly have sorted you out. One thing to know - the snow was absolutely foul in the afternoons and took a lot of effort to ski. I see that on 12th April we skied Courchevel in the morning but abandoned it as so soft. We had the whole family with us including 5 children and a beginner adult. Mrmogulski and I went and did our own thing round the 3V in the mornings while the snow was crisper and then met the family in the afternoons to go round and round the Altiport (green) and Combes (blue) with the children. Hopefully next time will be better for you. Good luck and get those ski boots fitted properly!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy