Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A major new design concept in ski braces aimed to protect instability of the knee etc

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I did allude a while back in the Torn Meniscus Cartilage thread that I was having issues with my knee and that things were not right, and that ironically I had been sent a Stoko knee support to test, so I'd made a decision to rest (nigh on two weeks) as well as seeing a physio for three sessions before attempting to ski again, and use the Stoko instead of my Donjoy hinged knee brace.

The Stoko is unique as a knee brace in that it is a support tight which is proven and guaranteed to offer 100 percent support of traditional braces, so a big claim!

Stoko is FDA and Health Canada registered as a Class 1 medical device for moderate to severe ligament instabilities, mild strains, sprains and other knee injuries.

The Stoko K1 uses a Boa cable system (just like snowboard boots) running down and across your legs. As their website reads, which is better than I can describe the way it works: the K1 relies on tension throughout the Embrace Systemâ„¢ to generate support, which is made up of cables that are integrated into the tights. The result is support that moves with your body and doesn't make you compromise on comfort, aesthetic, or support.

The brace has undergone extensive testing against the likes of Donjoy hinged braces, and more on those results here.

A couple of friends here who ski with Donjoys can't bring themselves to wear it, (not because I've been wearing them Laughing ) as they can't believe they offer the support of a hinged brace. My knee surgeon is also still sitting on the fence and I'm waiting for his response after reading the White Paper in the link above.

This image pretty well encapsulates the USPs of the Stoko K1 over a hinged brace such as the Donjoy.

I've now been using it for two weeks and have notched up five ski-tours and a similar number of days piste skiing, and much of it in heavy demanding, patella ripping snow pack.

Whilst I only have some instability in my knee, the Stoko has worked really well, the only issue is that they've yet to sort European distribution for it rolling eyes

Anyway there's much more about it in my review of it here
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

The Stoko is unique as a knee brace in that it is a support tight which is proven and guaranteed to offer 100 percent support of traditional braces, so a big claim!

A claim that is not at all backed up by their own research you linked to, which found the stoko provided 11-20% less support across all testing conditions than the CTI.

Boa cables have been known to snap. It doesn't look like it would be an easy repair?

I don't think they are the worst thing. Clearly there are people that don't like traditional braces for a variety of reasons, so these might be an alternative for them. If stabilising the knee is your main focus though go with the CTI over the stoko as their own research found!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I see no reason that theoretically such things can be of practical and psychological assistance when it somes to perceived stability and proprioception. But stuff like a good quality multistrap neoprene sleeve, "light" hinged or flexy metal stays etc can do a lot of that and the view from most orthopods is that even the burliest brace is of limited assistance against further trauma so I'm somewhat sceptical that Ironman underwear actually is what the world was crying out for.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Dave of the Marmottes, the thing is I know a lot of people that wear the likes of a Donjoy to ski with, maybe I'm more similar to their age profile Laughing these are also people who are skiing pretty well the whole season and are somewhat paranoid of doing something disastrous to their knees, others wear a Mojo (though that's not to protect the kneee), if you've done an ACL and gone through reconstruction the last thing you want to do is go through that again, but it does happen, there are also others who have done an ACL and have not had the reconstruction OP, they are probably more paranoid.

The major benefit for me is ski touring and not having to wear a hinged brace on the up, though in the olde days I did carry it in my pack.

The Stoko site has a load more testimonials from people of a younger profile.

And @boarder2020, think you're being a bit picky with your interpretation of their test results, when you look at the picture as a whole, the Stoko out-performs the likes of Donjoy which is probably one of the most popular braces used by skiers.

latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

And @boarder2020, think you're being a bit picky with your interpretation of their test results, when you look at the picture as a whole, the Stoko out-performs the likes of Donjoy which is probably one of the most popular braces used by skiers

Sorry, but if you create a new medical device the norm is to compare it against the gold standard. It's clear from their own research, that if your focus is just on using the device that will stabilise the knee most, the CTi is a much better option. They absolutely can't claim "proven and guaranteed to offer 100 percent support of traditional braces" because it's clearly not true based on their own research (TBF I think this is maybe a claim you have made for them as I don't think they would have been so bold - they seem to use the nicely vague term "comparable" and decided to not test for - or at least include - statistical significance rolling eyes ).

There results for standard braces are hardly surprising - the softer braces provide less support, and the rigid braces provide more. The stoko fits in above the hinged soft sleeve (donjoy) but below the rigid hinged (CTI).

I do actually like it. Even if not as good as the CTI it's clearly effective enough to offer stability. I'm sure lots of people won't wear a brace because of how they look, so this "invisible" option is a good solution for them. I probably need some convincing on the boas - what happens if they snap in terms of fixing? Can people get the wires in the right place and tighten them to the correct level?

I have a friend that skis with a brace and says he finds one of the benefits is people generally give him a wide birth compared to the odd day he forgets it. So while the "invisible" aspect may appeal to some - it would put him off. Perhaps something to consider.

Also you say I'm being picky but you cherry pick the valgus graph to post in this thread. The varus graph shows in comparison a bigger discrepancy between CTi and stoko, and much smaller discrepancy between stoko and donjoy snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Weathercam, I've had an ACL recon, 2 meniscectomies and a fractured tibial plateau that a orthopod was almost delighted to tell me I had the most fecked up knee joint he'd seen. I started skiing with a Donjoy post the recon because I was keen to get on it at 6 months. I soon got confidence in the muscle structure and binned the brace though sometimes I do just have to stop and realign my knee after it has jarred or I'm feeling "staple twinge". Maybe this is the missing link for knees aging that bit more. I fully expect in time to need something like this, then Mojo then TKR.

I must admit that I've never understood people wearing a brace over ski pants - surely you just buy a slightly baggier cut.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Dave of the Marmottes, as I said in the review, I like others I know wore the Donjoy (note not CTI) over compression tights etc to stop the movement of the hinged brace, which after surgery/rehab etc that we've both been through gives you a great deal of confidence, though again like you was keen to get rid of it due to the associated hassle of wearing it, and that I think is the USP of the "Iron Underpants" Laughing in that they are far more unobtrusive to wear.

I'll also start trail running (downhill single track) in them soon, something I would not do with a hinged brace for sure!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Dave of the Marmottes, yep...baggier pants. But I've ditched the CTi for neoprene sleeves and mojo now. Early on post knee feck i was wearing the mojo over the CTi....clown pants
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Weathercam wrote:
....I'll also start trail running (downhill single track) in them soon, something I would not do with a hinged brace for sure!...

The weather's not too good at the moment after a decent spell of Summer with temps in the low to mid 20's so decided to see what the knee is like running, as we've done a couple of hikes and it's not been too bad on the downhill.

I've been ski touring using the tights and one key advantage over a hinged brace is that I release the cable when climbing and then crank it up for the descent, which I repeated again today on a 2km climb.

The descent was a tad gnarly with lots of scope to go base over apex, and it always takes a handful of runs to get dialled in and gain confidence in your footing and with a suspect knee even more so, so was quite please with the result, again something I'd never countenance with a hinged brace.

As I type this knee and Achilles seem ok, though back is not 100% and I was well out of running shape but pleased to be able to run as cycling's not on the agenda too much looking at the forecast for the next 10 days Sad

You can just about work out how the support is embracing my right knee?

snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

A claim that is not at all backed up by their own research you linked to, which found the stoko provided 11-20% less support across all testing conditions than the CTI.

Boa cables have been known to snap. It doesn't look like it would be an easy repair?

I don't think they are the worst thing. Clearly there are people that don't like traditional braces for a variety of reasons, so these might be an alternative for them. If stabilising the knee is your main focus though go with the CTI over the stoko as their own research found!

I agree.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@weathercam. Are you really running on your knackered knees? Conserving them for skiing/cycling and walking in your eighties maybe wiser. What does your orthopod think? At least you will have good quads in readiness for a, closer than it would have been, TKR rehab!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hawkesbaynz wrote:
@weathercam. Are you really running on your knackered knees? Conserving them for skiing/cycling and walking in your eighties maybe wiser. What does your orthopod think? At least you will have good quads in readiness for a, closer than it would have been, TKR rehab!

Do people still really believe this misconception that running is universally bad for knees? Moderate amounts of running in healthy people are likely even beneficial! Human body is not like a car tyre that gradually wears down with use - the body needs stress to create healthy adaptations.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Being a physio, and working with patients following their various TKR's and knee arthroscopies, I see plenty of 'shot' joint surfaces from the camera pics.

Cartilage has limited blood supply and hence poor healing response so running, with its increased load impact on those areas, is going to exacerbate the decline.

I'd agree with keeping skiing as my sport choice over running any day. But then snow isn't available in August here Wink

BTW I use a mojo - fantastic product and has protected me in numerous falls against twisting forces, as well as pain control during the skiing itself. Takes a good amount of load off the knees - no corduroy chatter as well
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boarder2020 wrote:
Moderate amounts of running in healthy people are likely even beneficial! .

@Weathercam, never does any sport "moderately" Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy