Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Torn meniscus cartilage

Poster: A snowHead
I suspect I have torn meniscus cartilage in my knee. Despite having private health cover, it is still taking a long time from referral to even get the MRI... my hopes of being able to physically ski come Feb half term as diminishing rapidly, as the knee has been getting progressively worse. However.... in the vague hope that I can get an op done quickly after the MRI, how quickly is it possible that I would be able to physically ski?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can give you the best case scenario, which was that I skiied 10 days after a meniscus repair. However, sadly, I believe this is not the norm, I'd think 4 weeks ish is most likely more normal. I did a BUNCH of prehab and have previously rehabbed from several other knee injuries. You may be better off just getting it scoped rather than waiting for an MRI, as they are often only "inconclusive" anyway...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@coddlesangers, the MRI is booked for 5th Jan. Based on a good number of previous knee problems is why I am reasonably sure of what is going on. I have been doing my darnedest to keep my muscles as strong as I can although this morning had to start reducing weight setting on leg press due to the pain from this knee - which is a real shame as I don’t want to let the strength drop on my left knee which is one with only have a reconstructed ACL left in it and hence I need my muscles to be strong to make up for the loss in stability
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
probably depends on the type of tear as well

might be a good time to take up snowboarding
Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Mr.Egg, there have been occasions I have wondered about that!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@NickyJ, I had a small tear a couple of years back which was a skiing injury (perhaps not making allowances for getting older and going down one of the "black" ski routes in Lech!) . Went to the physio, who diagnosed it and gave me a bunch of exercises, knee lifts, waggling etc. It did improve but still bothered me a few months later. I discovered that bike riding really helped and it has not been an issue since. I was back skiing the next season but it did curtail skiing after in happened, in March so only missed a few days. I assume you have seen a physio not just waiting for the MRI?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes did physio first she said I needed MRI and consultant
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NickyJ wrote:

I was diagnosed with a bucket tear 10 years ago.
Never had it operated on, just had to learn to board leading with the other leg.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@NickyJ, that doesnt sound good.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mr.Egg wrote:
NickyJ wrote:

Never had it operated on, just had to learn to board leading with the other leg.

I was hoping to avoid that but it has been getting progressively worse and has changed from niggely under certain exercise conditions, to occasional while running and a bit painful on cross trainer to, very painful standing and walking and while straight Sad. I now hurt pretty much all the time. Anything from a bit to outright agony. It is happier bent than straight
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
NickyJ, Just read this, I tore mine ( bucket handle ) number of years ago, in Jan and took 2 weeks skiing in Banff in the March which was beforee the op. My Consultant was a skier, which helped and told me I couldnt do any more damage. He warned me to not do any jumps or cliff drops, to stop if in serious pain and take anti inflamatories as and when.

I went, and had a great time - I too had pain when walking and used to limp badly - you really shouldnt be running or any impact exercise - did plenty of gym work to keep the strength.
Because of the walking issue - we hired a vehicle in Banff, so I didnt have to walk for the buses or stand around much. When skiing as the knee is bent it was fine.
So much so, as we had the truck - we headed over the Kicking Horse, then to Revelstoke ( first year of opening ). I never missed a days skiing for the two weeks.

Came back and had the op in the May - never given me any trouble since as I've always looked after it. The knee in question had an old injury - shattered, and repaired patella from my youth so always potential for problems. No MRI due to wirework in the knee, which was removed during the meniscus repair
I was told cycling and cross trainer for cardio exercise, and no running.

Hope you get sorted and continue to ski - no real reason for it to make you turn to the darkside Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Bones, thanks. I am doing more running now than I was, because when I try and walk into town from home (only about 1mile) it hurts too much to walk so run instead…. Very slowly
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
munich_irish wrote:
@NickyJ, I had a small tear a couple of years back which was a skiing injury (perhaps not making allowances for getting older and going down one of the "black" ski routes in Lech!) . Went to the physio, who diagnosed it and gave me a bunch of exercises, knee lifts, waggling etc. It did improve but still bothered me a few months later. I discovered that bike riding really helped and it has not been an issue since. I was back skiing the next season but it did curtail skiing after in happened, in March so only missed a few days. I assume you have seen a physio not just waiting for the MRI?

Bike riding is excellent for building muscle for knee strength / stability, just make sure you do plenty of stretches to ensure it doesn't affect your ankle flex as it does tend to shorten your calf muscles. This can lead to a lot of pain after your first ski of the season, you don't need to ask how I know this wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NickyJ wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
NickyJ wrote:

I was hoping to avoid that but it has been getting progressively worse and has changed from niggely under certain exercise conditions, to occasional while running and a bit painful on cross trainer to, very painful standing and walking and while straight Sad. I now hurt pretty much all the time. Anything from a bit to outright agony. It is happier bent than straight

What about ‘give’? How much range do you have in supporting your bodyweight? Mine still scrunches now. If I carry anything heavy my knee will just lock. When your knee is bent, then it offloading the weight. Everyone’s injuries are different though. My mate was a skier & swapped to boarding after blowing out his knee skiing. He says there is less impact & he wont go back to skiing!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mr.Egg, mine crunches most of the time, but not really with pain.just the osteoarthritis thats in there.Cup my hands around it and folks can hear it Toofy Grin Toofy Grin The OA been building since early age due to the patella issue - exercise keeps it down an virtually pain free. I would say yours is locking due to the bucket handle catching at a guess.
The physio I saw at the time has one that hadnt been operated on, and his did the same - he just manages it, as doesnt want the op Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@Bones,
Yip, it was constantly catching on the tear.
My knee is like kerplunk. I wont let them take anything out.
Permanent subluxation of the patella. There is no groove for the patella to track, so it dislocates everytime the knee bends (pain free).
Torsion twist in the tibia which also forces my foot to point outwards! I can bend my knee a little to support my body weight, after that - nothing (egg on the floor!). I also suffer from drop foot.
Most of this I grew up with & adapted to. However the bucket tear was like pulling sticks out supporting the marbles. When it first happened I couldnt put weight on the leg or walk for months! I even considered asking for amputation due to frustration… Only thing I cant do is operate a clutch pedal on a car. I dont have that range of control in the foot to find the bite.

Anyway, this isnt my thread Very Happy
snow report
Hoping my recovery experience w/ a partial meniscectomy helps others looking for recovery times. I'm a 47 male and live in Colorado. I've skied all my life and been snowboarding for 25 years. I read all kinds of meniscectomy recovery forums shortly after my surgery to ease my frustration w/ the slow recovery. I snowboarded for a half day exactly 30 days after my surgery. It hurt and after 5 runs, I had to stop. I snowboarded 3 days later after resting for 2 days and it hurt again but not as bad. It didn't hurt enough to stop but I stopped to not overdo it. Then I rested another day and snowboarded the following day (half day) on easier terrain and it hurt again. Enough to want to stop. I'm snowboarding again in 4 days after resting for a week and I'm hoping the pain is a bit less annoying. I think I'll have pain in my knee for the remainder of the season and just need to take it easy and not go all day. I also learned I need to take days off and ice/rest the knee. I haven't even thought about skiing yet as I know it's much harder on the knees than snowboarding. My ortho doc said it would hurt if I snowboarded this soon (30 days postop) and he was right. He also said at my age and fitness level, I will likely experience some level of pain for at least 3 months postop and probably no pain doing whatever at 6 months. I'll update this forum in another few weeks as I have more ski trips planned in the coming months.
snow conditions
@traderjoe90, so curious about the comment or "your age and fitness"? How fit were / are you?

My ops is on Friday... and intend to be ski at a bit over 5 weeks....

I found skiing last week pretty good. Painful on chair lifts with a higher bar, bit skiing itself fine.
snow report
NickyJ, Good luck with the op and the next ski trip , pleased you were ok last week, thought you'd be fine Madeye-Smiley
latest report
@Bones, thank you Smile

The worst bit was pain in the knee for flight out and back. Really hoping that next flight won't be so painful.
ski holidays
Had the op a few hours ago. Leg has been straight in bed for a long time now with next to no pain. Fully weight bearing completely pain free. This is all looking nicely positive and feels much better than did before surgery Smile
snow report
@NickyJ, that is great. A good chum had hers done before Christmas and said the same - felt immediately better. She's not back running yet but getting her miles up walking, doing her physio and doing a bit of road cycling. She's delighted.
ski holidays
Having spoken to consultant, he also said he found wear on the cartilage inside patella which he has smoothed off. He has confirmed this was likely culprit for my pain walking downhill (uphill was fine). Sadly he said that will return overtime. Didn't think at time to ask what likely timescales are for that. Will be googling to find out more and any things I can do to delay this.
snow report
@NickyJ, it is the way of cartilages unfortunately.
ski holidays
Good luck with your recovery, @NickyJ.
snow report
@pam w, thankyou Smile
ski holidays
@NickyJ, damn knees !!

I've had no issues for a couple of years, not since I bust my right just before the first lockdown, and my consultant said was better to do what I did rather than tear cartilage etc.

In the past 2008 & 2011 I've had two arthroscopy ops (both knees) as well as ACL hamstring graft op 2011 and I've maintained running and cycling, though recently with more Calf and Achilles issues, and any physio will tell you that these are related.

But this season all has been well on the skiing front with the knees.

The OH was then contacted by a PR for Stoko which is meant to be "The Ultimate Knee Support For Skiing"

https://stokodesign.com/blogs/tips-tricks/the-ultimate-knee-support-for-skiing

The OH said when we receive it that we should give it to a more deserving friend.......

Ten days ago I drove back to the UK in one hit no real rest, and then three days later did the same for the return leg and two days later my knee was uber painful, I skied on it on Saturday with some pain and Sunday Am it was swollen - so I'm doing ice and no skiing, and bike - and will then ski tomorrow testing the tights that arrived just after I returned from the UK!

So it's bizarre how the knee became fecked, though if you Google knee pain from driving it's indeed very common rolling eyes

So still keep the protocol of icing after the op and work on ROM and I'm sure you'll be ripping the slopes sans issues.
snow conditions
@Weathercam, Very interesting (Stoko) but the price!! - Wow!!
Interestingly I purchased 2 pairs of compression tights - one make was Skins the other 2XU which I wore for my first weeks skiing after my arthroscopy (severe meniscus damage and arthritis) .
And I will say my legs generally and my knees felt pretty good - I skiied 6 full days with no ill effects. Going again in soon and will definitely be wearing them.
This was 13 months after my surgery (was unable to ski earlier due to lockdown).
@NickyJ, My best bit of advice is to follow your physio exercises to the full, do as much leg strengthening exercises as possible alongside Pilates and balance exercises.
Your knee damage sounds similar to mine - mostly caused by running canicross attached to a 40 kilo dog, therefore, running constantly trying to 'hang on'!
Although I no longer run - cycling, cross trainer, power walking, skiing all good - but I do know my limitations.
I was told by my surgeon I am just putting off time till I will need a full knee replacement - well we will see about that!
Good luck
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
From my two experiences, wait as long as you can, then go for it and you're back on 'em in three weeks. One time I went in to get cut and to my surprise he said "nah lets wait a while longer" which ended up being 4 or 5 years.

They say surgery for meniscus tears is not necessarily the right way these days. I believe that, though in my opinion this is partially clouded by folks who didn't need surgery getting it and then not being satisfied. Both of my procedures paid tangible dividends.

...and I think I have another one brewing. I'm watching you right knee!
ski holidays
Dippy wrote:
@Weathercam, Very interesting (Stoko) but the price!! - Wow!!....

That's Canadian $ (though will double check) so works out way cheaper than 2 DonJoys as that's what effectively you get.

But like you I used to use compression tights from 2XU and Skins
latest report
@Weathercam, you have my sympathies!

My theory (may have no basis in science!) Is that in cases likes yours and mine is we probably did damage to it years ago in falls or playing hockey, but it didn't get in the way, then your everyday innocuous activities gradually put pressure on it and move it into into a position it causes problems.

I am now 1 week post op. Straight after op it felt brilliant. During the afternoon afterwards the swelling kicked, and it is still swollen. This is really limiting my range of movement. Full extension is fine which I was told with my ACL recon is the most important part. However I am getting a little concerned still.

I haven't got a physio appointment yet and fear the comms from the hospital which did surgery and where I want physio (25mins less drive away!). So I am going to phone them today.
snow report
@NickyJ, do you use a Cryo Cuff ?

They are a brilliant bit of kit, and not just for knee's and I'm forever loaning ours out.

I was commenting to the OH this morning as to the amount of "stuff" that I have accumulated to keep me going over the years Laughing

Two Donjoys (off ebay luckily) again I loan them to friends.

Cryo Cuff

B-Cure Laser Pro

Electric Vibrating Massage stick - great for the Achilles

And now the Stoko tights Laughing

I should add that a lot of my Musculoskeletal issues are down to having one leg shorter than the other, something I often forget about and think it's now accentuating the injuries and more frequently.

Though my biggest issue is that I don't exactly ever rest-up or take it easy when doing stuff, though looks like we finally have some inclement weather so that might do the trick Laughing
snow conditions
@Weathercam, how are your knees feeling?

I am definitely a lot better today, another step change day. The bend i can achieve isnt far of my other knee (though as that is a damaged ACL recon with loads of cartilage removed it was a little less than the other knee allowed...). It still has some swelling but looking much less like a tree trunk! I did first Pilates session since op last night (not everything buy most things) and will go again tomorrow night and planning a trip to the gym on Friday to have a good session on a static bike.

Starting to think skiing on 10th April may be possible.
ski holidays
@NickyJ, good to hear going well, and that you'll be back on skis.

I on the other hand since I last posted have gone backwards.

Last week finally took myself to a physio, as the knee was not trauma-induced, but from driving.

As ever be they a physio, chiropractor, sports massage therapist, osteopath the guy was exclaiming how stiff my legs were and that was probably the issue.

My ITB in his words was glued to one of my quad muscles.

So the past week I have been taking it very easy, not quite resting but no skiing/cycling in order to let the knee settle.

So loads of self-massage, stretching, icing, though stretching quads is quite hard being unable to bend the knee and dog walking was with the e-mtb blasting across the fields.

Went to see him yesterday and he said I could cycle but not up steeps / getting out of the saddle, he also showed me some other stretches for the quads that do not involve bending the knee so much.

My game plan is still no skiing until my daughters arrive this weekend, and then will be easy piste stuff wearing the Stoko tights, though with it getting heavy in the afternoons I'll take it easy.

I'm walking fine and cycling yesterday my power meter pedals showed I was favouring my good leg to the tune of 60/40%, 40 being my bad knee leg, so I'll be working on that as I can add the pedal power to my bike computer screen.

I'm not too worried about skiing and ski touring, not that there's too much around here to be had, as I might have a trip around April 20th and that's what I want to be ready for.

If it all goes Pete Tong then I'm now in the French health service and getting things done like knees/hips here is so much faster than back in the UK. Friend did her knee 10 days ago and had the MRI 5 days later.
snow conditions
@Weathercam, you have my sympathies!

My friend is my pilates instructor and I had contacted her asking for how to stretch my quads as couldn't bend my knee enough to do it normal way (this was pre-op), I suspect we have been shown same method Smile

That is good news about French health system. Thankfully I had private cover, otherwise I suspect it would have been a year before even seeing a physio
latest report
Well good news I can physically ski fine. I can feel my knee especially from swelling but it doesn't hurt. Trouble is my head demons. I have booked myself a private lesson for tomorrow to try and help as I was seriously freaking out... no need to. I was skiing fine just petrified my knee was going to lock or give way.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy