Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Update on Manchester airport

Poster: A snowHead
T1 has always been crap at Manchester. Have queued for an hour at security even before the pandemic. I'm glad now the Birthday Bash was end of Jan when we still had all the covid testing malarky and the airport was quiet. Jet2 have moved to T2 according to Symboh above, which makes sense as I was a bit surprised in Jan on turning up for the Ryanair flight to Treviso to see Ryanair have taken over the T1 checkin area that was previously used by Jet2. Jet2 might be the airline of choice in future then to avoid T1.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
But there are such top calibre people running it (if rewards are anything to go by)

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/apr/06/outrage-over-huge-pay-rises-for-manchester-airports-group-bosses
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jet2 have just announced that many of their flights will be departing from T1 instead of T2 from 28 April 2022. Flights to and from Bulgaria, France, Greece, Italy, Jersey and Madeira will operate at Terminal 1 (T1)

I thought there was an awful lot of walking from the terminal to the gate recently for a flight to Geneva as well.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Update - MAN to Munich with easyjet at 08.00 on 6.4.22:

- Arrived at Terminal 1 at 04.55 after a terrible airport hotel night of tossing, turning and very little sleep due to worrying about missing the flight Confused
- Felt stressed on arrival - hardly felt like a holiday.
- 40 minute zig zagging queue to get ski bag labelled.
- 5 minute queue to drop ski bag at bulky luggage.
- 45 minute queue for security.
- Through to departures 90 minutes before the flight.
- Ample time for a leisurely sausage sandwich and coffee.
- All in all not too bad for us but a fair few people were pulled out of the bag drop and security queues as they were in danger of missing their flights. (We're back at MAN in May (Tirol glaciers road trip) and will be there 3 hours in advance again.)

No problems at all after that - good flight and managed a 2 hr Slushy McSlushfest in 15C heat at Ellmau from 3pm (en-route to the Zillertal). So worth the 4am start and all the hassle in the end Very Happy

ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jake43 wrote:
Gaz_H wrote:
Hi... I went through Manchester Airport yesterday, going to Turin so I thought and update was in order given the news lately.

It's not great but no where near as bad as I expected.

I arrived 3 hours before hand and within 10 mins I had handed my bags in ag Jet2. There was a 10 min wait for my skis at the oversize

The queue was getting my boarding pass scanned just before security bag scanner. They only had 4 out of 10 scanning station working due to lack of staff..... long but I've been in worse... definitely not as bad as they are portraying on tv

We even had time for a breakfast before doing to the gate

However, TURIN looked more like a refugee camp and the plane was late setting off as we and others were still in the security queue.
Why do they have 4 flights from Man to Turin within 35 mins of each other.
Why is the 10 flights out of Turin to UK within hour of each other !
Only thing we could come up with is tour company buses to resort and back.
Result 3000 people hit Turin airport all at the same time with over half sitting on the floor.

Arriving at Turin was a breeze, no security queues, baggage off in about 20 mins, driver waiting for me from Skizoom.

I'll report back on Sunday when we depart... I'm with @Jake on this and I'm expecting loads of flights at once to the UK.... never understood why this happens ... surely the schedule has quite obviously gone tits up!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Went through T2 20th March returning 27th March. Outward was quick 10 mins to check in and drop off ski bag, fast track security I booked for £2.50 with parking and went pretty much straight through. This was at around 0430. I ended up much too early for my flight.

However on return we were delayed at every stage from landing due to lack of staff and broken passport gates. It took nearly 2 hours to get the bags out. Was just awful but so was Toulouse which also took 2 hours to clear on landing.

I had much better experiences with Gatwick and Innsbruck at feb half term.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Gaz_H, In Jan getting through passport control at TRN took 90 mins standing in a big fat que. Check first if you can, but all UK flights go through the same control, so my advice would be grab a coffee in the terminal and get through passport control straight away, and then relax in the gate area, I think there are some places to get food once through, machines certainly.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
geoffknight wrote:
@Gaz_H, In Jan getting through passport control at TRN took 90 mins standing in a big fat que. Check first if you can, but all UK flights go through the same control, so my advice would be grab a coffee in the terminal and get through passport control straight away, and then relax in the gate area, I think there are some places to get food once through, machines certainly.

It is stupid that the don't say what the gate is until in bound plane arrives. Just like all airports. There are actual seats through there too so we would not be sat on the floor.

Pretty sure you are right, after the extension a few years back we have always go out from down there ....but would you get back if wrong ?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think UK charter flights are probably scheduled to arrive and depart at similar times to make the resort transfers more efficient. Can fill a larger coach then.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hells Bells wrote:
I think UK charter flights are probably scheduled to arrive and depart at similar times to make the resort transfers more efficient. Can fill a larger coach then.

Yep I can understand that as 2 of them from Manchester are TUI but the rest are not. EasyJet & Jet2 4 flights out in 35 Mins.
Back 10 flights out of Turin to UK in an hour.

Not sure the make up of people on a package deal who do the package people use ? Sure it is not Jet2 or Easyjet is it?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
what...snow wrote:

Then 90+ increasingly nervous mins at security B having been recommended not to try security A (right next to oversized baggage). 3 out of 5 scanners actually rolling when we finally got to the end. 1 minute in Boots to buy a sandwich then 30s in an electrical store to buy a missing lead then straight to the gate at fast walk, only to see the plane arriving.

Anyone know where security B is? I never knew there was more than one security entrance at T1! Assume fasttrack works at both A and B security??
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Go to the far left of the terminal and it's down stairs there.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@adithorp, thanks, far left as you walk in and are facing the main security entrance/check in desks?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski wrote:
@adithorp, thanks, far left as you walk in and are facing the main security entrance/check in desks?

Yes. It's used (in normal times) as overflow when the main ones queues back up and they redirect to there. Its smaller and hasn't been particularly faster whenever I've used it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just an update from our experience - flight out of Terminal 1 to Milan on Sunday evening (3rd), return flight last night (6th), Ryanair. Long queues through security on Sunday (as above, couldn't buy Fast Track passes), but they were calling people forward (e.g. at 5.30pm, they called for passengers flying at 6.30pm and they got to the front of the queue). We were told that if your case / bag gets rejected by the scanner, it was a 45 min wait for anyone to even look at it so it was imperative that there were no liquids / nothing to make the luggage get rejected.

Main point though is that the knock on effect is that everything is being delayed - flight out from Manchester to Milan was delayed by an hour (meaning we couldn't collect the rental car in Milan as planned despite us calling Expedia to say we'd be landing at 22.50 and could they stay open a few minutes beyond 23.00, not a problem apparently - but got there at 23.02 and the desk / office was closed Confused ) and then we were delayed for 1 hr 45 on the return from Milan with the Ryanair cabin staff saying it was due to Manchester airport being in "chaos with no staff, no ground staff" meaning the plane (coming into Milan from Manchester) was very late leaving Manchester.
snow conditions
It sounds absolutely grim - so sorry for families caught up in this.
snow conditions
Horrendous queues this morning. Took nearly 3 hours to get through! That was terminal 1.
snow conditions
geepee wrote:
Horrendous queues this morning. Took nearly 3 hours to get through! That was terminal 1.

Hope you have a good rest of the journey. Can I request gory details later?
snow report
Friend went through in 15 minutes on Friday! I assume that was without security fastpass @geepee, ?
ski holidays
At Leeds Bradford this morning so many people had brought fast track tickets that both queues were equal length. Took us about 75min to get through security - then straight on to boarding!
But all that is behind us as we glide on an amazing Swiss train that is so nice I had to double check we weren’t in first class by mistake!
latest report
@kitenski, I couldn’t book Fasttrack as it wasn’t available but ended up redirected to fasttrack by the staff anyway!
snow report
Terminal 2 been ok this afternoon. Approx 1h 20 from d&g car park to departure lounge with security fast track. By far the most time consuming step was finding the right part of jet2 bag drop queue, followed by taking bag+skis all the way to the other end of the terminal.
ski holidays
No queue at security, 70 minutes waiting for bags, then they appeared on a different carousel. There appeared to be piles of bags that hadn’t made it to multiple destinations across Europe, in dumps with ‘rush’ stickers on them.
latest report
Zero queues at Manchester, already thru security in about fifteen mins inc lots of questions about my heated boot bag! Fast pass was a waste of money!
ski holidays
Well I'm in there now and it's been a dream in T2... 10 mins wait at security and bags were already on the carousel... ski unloaded too.

I'm amazed!
snow conditions
what...snow wrote:
No queue at security, 70 minutes waiting for bags, then they appeared on a different carousel...

Gaz_H wrote:
Well I'm in there now and it's been a dream in T2... 10 mins wait at security and bags were already on the carousel... ski unloaded too.

I'm amazed!

When you say "security..." do you mean immigration/passport control coming home?

Just a bit confused as concerned about reported security (+check in) delays flying out of manchester. Don't really care too much at delays once I get back into Manchester as the conveniences are far lower than missing a flight out
snow report
@adithorp, yes that sounds like passport control not security if they were removing bags from the carousel afterwards.
snow report
@adithorp, well other people may care so that's why I've put it on the thread.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@adithorp, yes, security checks (hand luggage etc) going out was a 90 mins queue, with many warnings that if a manual check was needed, that would be another 45 mins. Could have skipped a chunk with priority but you’d then be stuck in duty free, the terminal was rammed too. They did pull people out of the queue for earlier flights (like 10 mins earlier, think they knew ours was late. Coming back, immigration had no queue but then we waited 70mins for hold luggage to appear.
latest report
@Gaz_H, Sorry, I wasn't implying I didn't care or others wouldn't about the situation coming back.. I was just looking for clarification of which way you were traveling as security checks are done going out but bags are collected from the carousel coming back. Anyone skim reading could be misled into thinking there wasn't an issue getting through security.
ski holidays
@what...snow, In which case you really don't want your number to come up for a random check (as directed by DfT), even with no suspicious images you can get pinged (more checks are dictated with older scanners as well).
snow conditions
My flight out was delayed an hour after a good start due to waiting for fuel truck & cleaners
snow conditions
Was great last night, third off the plane straight thru passport control and walking out of the airport with bags at 2330 for a flight that landed at 2300!
snow conditions
Been thru Man twice in the last month and had fast track both times. Sent to Security B where there was a vast queue but thru fast track in under 15 mins. Queues for all cafes etc horrific.

Coming home early evening from Geneva the queue for security was pretty bad last night but again we had priority lane (which is more like T5 heathrow in that it’s a completely separate area, so no dragging of late arrivals to the front). Thru is 5 mins.

Top Tip for coming home to T1 Manchester is buy passports fast track. I have arrived there to find nobody there - but as my mate says you’d happily pay a fiver not to have anyone there, and it seems EJ are running an Amsterdam flight that lands just before the GVA 2230 arrival so it’s been well worth having.
ski holidays
We flew from T2 on Thursday the 14th, 7.15 flight to Dubrovnik, hand luggage only.

40 minutes to get through a calm and orderly security queue.

1 hour queue to get into the bar for breakfast and a pint. Understaffed at the restaurant at half seating capacity, waitresses were slowing the flow of customers to stop the kitchen becoming overwhelmed.
ski holidays
Anybody been through MAN (particularly with easyjet) in recent times?

We're flying to Munich on 2nd May. Just wondering how bag drop and security are these days...Do we need to be there 3 hrs in advance Puzzled
snow report
@mountainaddict, we flew out with easyjet for the eosb (16th April). Flight was 07.05. Arrived at the bagdrop queue at around 04.15, lots of people, queue out the door but all very efficient with staff directing everyone. We had speedy stuff so got shuffled to shorter bag place & were all done within about 20 mins.

Similarly, security was busy but organised. We were airside within about an hour and 15 minutes (including a wait for undeclared liquid in hand luggage!!).

really not anywhere near as bad as reports from the week before.
ski holidays
@mountainaddict,

I too flew out with Easyjet from MAN on 16th April, 12:25 flight. It was no-where near as bad as the media reports (possibly because everyone had flown out on Good Friday). I got the impression that they had put some effort into getting on top of the issues reported over the previous two weeks.

I arrived 4 hours before the flight, which was a waste of time because EJ wouldn't let me drop my bags any earlier than 3 hours before the flight. There was a bit of a queue for EJ bag drop (and although I had speedy boarding/bag drop, I had to join the same queue as everyone else for manual bag labelling, as the self-bag drop machines can't compute having a combined baggage allowance with a ski bag rolling eyes ). And some issues as the family of 8 in front of me discovered the extra baggage they'd paid for was for cabin bags, not the collection of large hold bags they'd brought along Shocked

There were only 3 people in front of me at the oversize bag-drop, so that didn't take very long, despite someone trying to deposit a dodgy-looking large black box (apparently containing 'a battery') for a flight to Pakistan (Security scanner didn't like that!).

I'd got a security fast-track pass, but that wasn't necessary as there was virtually no queue in the normal security lanes, so it probably wouldn't have taken any longer.

The whole process from joining the bag drop queue 3 hours before the flight to emerging through security took about 40 minutes.

Everyone was on board the plane on time, so no delay to departure either.
ski holidays
Thanks for the MAN updates kittya and CathS.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy