Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Update on Manchester airport

Poster: A snowHead
Hi... I went through Manchester Airport yesterday, going to Turin so I thought and update was in order given the news lately.

It's not great but no where near as bad as I expected.

I arrived 3 hours before hand and within 10 mins I had handed my bags in ag Jet2. There was a 10 min wait for my skis at the oversize

The queue was getting my boarding pass scanned just before security bag scanner. They only had 4 out of 10 scanning station working due to lack of staff..... long but I've been in worse... definitely not as bad as they are portraying on tv

We even had time for a breakfast before doing to the gate
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Missed a bit...

My flight was at 07.50 from T2
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We went through on Saturday. Got there at 1110 for 1420 flight. About an hour queuing to check in with lovely Ryanair. For a while they had 1 person to check in 4 or more flights. Eventually became 3 desks but the queue became a sort of general scrum with no organisation whatsoever by the time we were about 3 from the front. The person checking us in worked out a way our bags fitted into the additional packages I’d bought but seemed equally baffled as I by Ryanair’s opaque system.

Then a big hike and 15 min queue to oversize baggage to realise he’d checked in my skis under my daughter’s name. Total jobsworth there who gave the impression I was a complete idiot trying to check in something under someone else’s name.

Then 90+ increasingly nervous mins at security B having been recommended not to try security A (right next to oversized baggage). 3 out of 5 scanners actually rolling when we finally got to the end. 1 minute in Boots to buy a sandwich then 30s in an electrical store to buy a missing lead then straight to the gate at fast walk, only to see the plane arriving.

So went back to Duty Free to get 12 yr old Caol Ila (£36 for 1l, seemed more than reasonable). There were more assistants than customers which was good because they have installed self-service style tills but each purchase needs an assistant to process and bag it anyway so there doesn’t seem any point other than to not have something for the assistant to sit/stand/loiter behind/beside any more.

Plane absolutely filthy when we got on it, think it departed about 40 mins late.

Masking in the airport was practically non-existent (<10% passengers and no staff even trying) and social distancing was just not realistic, it was so busy.

Supposedly FFP2 masks on from boarding on any flight to Italy still. Of the 20 + people I could see around me, about 20-30% had something FFP2 or roughly equivalent standard, 50% FRSM (including the flight crew) and 20% I didn’t see wear anything. None wore their mask correctly for the whole flight (eg I ate, seemed worth the minimal risk given what I’d already been through).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Went through Manchester T1 on Saturday
7am flight easyJet to Geneva
Arrived 04:30, easyJet check in was probably 50 minutes.
Maybe 30 in over sized baggage.
Around an hour in security queue (fast track) but had to be pulled out of the queue because we were getting close to departure. Arrived at plane 06:55.

The airport was completely overwhelmed and not functioning, let's hope it improves with promised staff recruitment.

GVA was great though.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all for the MAN updates. Much appreciated.

We're flying MAN - Munich with easyjet at 08.00 in two days' time. Hoping for the best but fearing the worst. Will get there 3 hrs before.

It doesn't help that easyjet have been cancelling a load of flights at the last minute due to covid... Sad Never mind - at least they apologise and offer a voucher or refund Laughing (So much for any car hire, accommodation etc booked by hapless passengers eh? Confused )
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm flying Sun 9th April, 1045am flight, so going to allow 3 hours - similiar to you @mountainaddict, expecting the worst and have bought fast track security passes!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fingers crossed for us both kitenski!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So from reading the other 2 experiences it's luck of the draw.... or are Jet2 a tad better... who knows.

The skiing here in La Thuile is awesome... waayyy better than I expected.... onvs after the dump at the end of last week
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just a note here re fast track security passes. I purchased them with our car parking deal at Manchester after an earlier fiasco last month. Our friends where in the normal queue. This Saturday 2nd of April they started pulling passengers out of both queues for our 8.45 to Zurich with Swiss for security. In the end we all went through the scanners at the same time. So in summary for us it was a waste of £10. It was more of an experiment as we are flying from Manchester again on the 27th for the Ischgl top of the mountain concert. As a result when I book the parking for that trip I won't bother. The fast lane was slow for us.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've seen the reports and heard experiences and all say its much worse later in the day. My flight was afternoon so
I've changed my departure on the 9th to Leeds. Hoping for a better experience. Half an hour more travel and 36 quid seems fair to dodge that chaos bullet.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm hoping things will have eased off a bit by the time I fly on 16th April.

I panic-bought a Security FastTrack pass last week anyway. I hope it makes a difference.

Also hopefully fewer ski bags and a shorter queue for outsized baggage by then too...

I'm going to arrive 4 hours before my flight anyway, and hopefully have time for a coffee in departures before my flight!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A bit galling though to feel pressurised into buying extras (I have also upgraded my Easyjet booking to Speedy/ dedicated bag drop) just to have a fighting chance of making it onto the flight.

I'll be looking at options from Liverpool Airport next time.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've had a 3 flights out of Manchester in the last month for trips previously delayed due to Covid. All with EasyJet.
The first trip in early March-no check-in issues but the security queue spilled out in to the check in desks area and snaked to the left-all the way to the end and then back on itself to the entrance. So effectively the queue was the length of the check in area. 70 mins to get through security. Plane was delayed while we waited for passengers but when it was eventually decided that we'd leave without the passengers who had not made it, we couldn't because their bags had been loaded. We then had to wait for the bags to be located and removed..in the meantime the passengers made it to the gate and boarded the flight! Not fun but worth it for a ski trip as I was on my own and could read/podcast.
Second trip was to Amsterdam a couple of weeks later. No issues really other than a long security queue (c 40 mins).
Finally, this weekend we flew out to Bordeaux and there was a system fault with loading the baggage which meant that everyone had to check their bags in to the oversized baggage terminal (a 1 man service). This preceded a 20 minute security queue.
TLDR-get to the airport 3 hours before your flight to be sure and be prepared for issues and long queues. E.g. a good podcast!
Fyi I have a friend who works in the customer experience team at London City. Their average duration for security, start to end, in March was under 7 minutes! I know it's a very different model but for my next flights I will be looking for flights from a different airport.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jet2 is terminal 2 which is coping better currently I think, I flew out on 12th March with zero issues.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mancs Terminal 1 security queues have always been pretty bad during holiday travel periods.
snow conditions
Hoping T2 queues (Jet2) will be better than T1. First “proper” ski holiday with the family (kids both old enough to ski and actually remember it!) and we are all in need of the break so a very stressful start is NOT what we are after!
ski holidays
@Gaz_H, glad you are enjoying La Thuile. An under-rated resort
latest report
@CathS Liverpool is bliss (esp compared to Manchester). Short queues and only a few people about. Well worth it as an option for those of us in the NW
ski holidays
skitrack wrote:
@CathS Liverpool is bliss (esp compared to Manchester). Short queues and only a few people about. Well worth it as an option for those of us in the NW

That's good to hear given we are flying from there for the EoSB. I've done 7 flights mostly via Manchester in the last few months and its been very painful.
latest report
dobby wrote:
@Gaz_H, glad you are enjoying La Thuile. An under-rated resort

Defo, Underrated...
Monday was great with minus temps through the day and the snow held up really well. Today was slightly warmer and you could tell from midday....

The forecast her is for snow to start falling Wednesday evening, through Thursday and into friday.... they've stated a lot of snow.... 50+ cms⁴
snow report
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/breaking-boss-manchester-airport-quits-23603696
snow report
The old "decided to return to the XXXXX, where her family is based, to 'pursue fresh career opportunities'." statement eh.

Sounds like they have plenty of chiefs (but the problem is not enough indians).

"Ian Costigan will take on the role of Interim Managing Director and will be in charge of the recruitment drive said to be at the heart of solving the ongoing issues ahead of the summer. Since joining MAG in 2013, Ian has held a number of senior positions in the business, including his most recent position of Group Transformation Director. Ian will work closely in this role with Ken O’Toole, MAG’s Deputy CEO, who has overall responsibility for the strategic leadership, development and operation of the Group’s airports. Ken’s focus in the short term, MAG said in a statement, will be on 'driving the recovery of our airports'. Ken has been with MAG for ten years in a range of senior executive roles including Managing Director of Manchester Airport, CEO of London Stansted Airport, and Chief Development Officer working across the Group."
snow report
Whenever I hear the bs title of "group transformation director" my heart drops. Typical management consultancy drivel
ski holidays
They, (or the Mayor) were talking about getting Fire and/or Police to assist at the airport! Fire might have time on their hands but police!? Shocked They haven’t the time to attend crimes and are up to their eyeballs in paperwork, when are they supposed to find time to be an airport worker?!! Puzzled Sad rolling eyes Are they going to teach fire and police overnight how to work an air bridge or be responsible for an x-ray machine? The mind boggles.
snow report
skitrack wrote:

Yes, I've flown a lot from there in the past. I don't remember there ever being queues, apart from at passport control on return (where there was often only one officer on duty). I'd veered towards using Manchester over more recent years though as it is marginally closer to where I live and the parking was cheaper than Liverpool (not anymore with Mancs apparent variable pricing strategy) and the departure lounge area better. And I always found the stink of the chemical factories as you stepped off the plane at Liverpool on return from the Alps a bit of a downer...

But the security at Manchester has often been awful, with big queues and overly-aggressive staff treating you like cattle - a very stressful way to start a holiday.
ski holidays
And Manchester's one-man operated check-in for oversized baggage is a complete joke. It creates massive queues in the height of the ski season and is a nightmare if you are travelling with a ski bag. Despite it being a problem for years, nothing has changed.
snow conditions
Manchester airport has been crap for years, even pre covid. The security staff are rude and patronising and insist on using at least twice as many trays as any other airport does for the same hand luggage. Other airports look at me like I’m mad when I diligently split my stuff across 4 or 5 trays Very Happy I’ve also never bothered with fast passes - if your flight is about to go they walk down the queue and put you in front of the people who have paid extra to be there!!

Their excuses back in February were “more flights than expected” which is pretty pathetic since every airline sells tickets for flights a year in advance. At least they’re now admitting they just didn’t recruit enough people.

Unfortunately I only live ten minutes away so I tend to use it but I’m considering Liverpool or Birmingham next time.
ski holidays
Sounds like I've wasted my fiver on the Security Fasttrack pass then rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Given the registered office of MAG is in Manchester City Hall it looks like Manchester City Council (who own 35.5% of MAG) and the other 9 local councils who own 29%, have let the 'arms length' oversight on their investments get a little too long, no wonder Bandwagon Burnham is now on the case.
snow conditions
@CathS, who knows, it’s a lottery on how busy they will be, I tried to buy a fast rack for my recent flight, but wasn’t available, making me think was going to be mayhem, I arrived 3 hours early, bag drop done in 5 mins and walked though security in same time.
The return flight was even smoother, through passport control and bag came out within 22 minutes of landing.
ski holidays
Gaz_H wrote:
Hi... I went through Manchester Airport yesterday, going to Turin so I thought and update was in order given the news lately.

It's not great but no where near as bad as I expected.

I arrived 3 hours before hand and within 10 mins I had handed my bags in ag Jet2. There was a 10 min wait for my skis at the oversize

The queue was getting my boarding pass scanned just before security bag scanner. They only had 4 out of 10 scanning station working due to lack of staff..... long but I've been in worse... definitely not as bad as they are portraying on tv

We even had time for a breakfast before doing to the gate

Did same trip a month ago with Jet2 they were brilliant checking took minutes. But the Airport was hopeless.

However, TURIN looked more like a refugee camp and the plane was late setting off as we and others were still in the security queue.
Why do they have 4 flights from Man to Turin within 35 mins of each other.
Why is the 10 flights out of Turin to UK within hour of each other !
Only thing we could come up with is tour company buses to resort and back.
Result 3000 people hit Turin airport all at the same time with over half sitting on the floor.
ski holidays
CathS wrote:
Sounds like I've wasted my fiver on the Security Fasttrack pass then rolling eyes

Nope you pass about 500 other people and will save you an hour
ski holidays
CathS wrote:

Fasttrack not even available to buy at the minute.

Getting a bit twitchy about the whole thing now. Confused
ski holidays
@kittya, I’ll update this with a update of my experiences this Saturday. I can’t book Fasttrack either.
snow report
Thanks @geepee, (did you ever get your boots back btw?). Are you taking skis?

Wondering whether I might be better off leaving my skis behind just to save time from the oversized baggage, but then I think I’m being ridiculous Confused
snow report
@kittya, No, my skis disappeared without trace, so I have shiny new ones now and I am taking skis.
ski holidays
@geepee, was losing your skis down to a Manchester airport issue?
latest report
@geepee, well. Good luck on saturday. I shall await updates with trepidation Cool
latest report
@ster, Sorry, I meant boots but no they did walkabout in Italy.
snow conditions
@geepee, it seems those boots were made for walking...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy