Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for new playful all-mountain ski

Poster: A snowHead
This is my first time ever buying personal skis. I've only ever rented or used my dad's skis before this. The skis I used were Atomic SX-11 racing skis. 170 cm long, 66 mm waist width and 16.5 m radius. I'm 180 cm tall, weigh 72 kg and am an intermediate level skier.

I mainly just used to carve on groomers, which those skis were great for, but I am starting to experiment more with the terrain park and a little bit of off-piste skiing. I would also like the skis to be more playful/buttery and be able to ski switch, so preferably (partial) twin tips. I still really love carving and it will be what I use the skis the most for, so it should still have excellent edge grip and turn initiation.

My budget is around €500 - €600 including bindings. So far I got my eyes on the Atomic Bent 90's. Does anyone have any experience with these or any other suggestions? I'm also unsure whether to go with 166 or 175 cm were I to pick this pair of skis.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i mean I was looking for advice myself recently, but anyway Laughing

Rustler 9
Line Sick Day 94
the afforementioned Bent Chetler, even in a 100
Black Crows Camox

For the most part, you are looking for a wood ski w/o titanal, but reasonably upturned tails and rocker on either end.
Length wise, low 170s I guess.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Tipsi, welcome to the forum.

Bent 90s look a good choice for your requirements. 90mm is going to feel quite different to your experience so far with that narrower ski, particularly on groomers. Not bad but taking some familiarity to bring your feelings into line with what you've had so far, I'd not go wider because of that.
Length a little more split, 166cm and with twin tip plus rockered ends are going to make for quite a short ski at your dimensions. The 175cm would appear more of a match.

I feel 90mm ski are very good all round for huge variety of conditions, particularly as you want to experience more varied terrain and surface conditions. It's not a big concern that you'll experience less precision in pure piste edge hold, more becoming accustomed to skis in this width and characteristics.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/products/fischer/ranger-92-ti-sc.html

165cm is too short
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ranger 92 is too directional anyway for what Tipsi is looking for.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
danbre2022 wrote:
i mean I was looking for advice myself recently, but anyway Laughing

Rustler 9
Line Sick Day 94
the afforementioned Bent Chetler, even in a 100
Black Crows Camox

For the most part, you are looking for a wood ski w/o titanal, but reasonably upturned tails and rocker on either end.
Length wise, low 170s I guess.

I'll make sure to give those models a look when I get the time later today! Tnx Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ski3 wrote:
@Tipsi, welcome to the forum.

Bent 90s look a good choice for your requirements. 90mm is going to feel quite different to your experience so far with that narrower ski, particularly on groomers. Not bad but taking some familiarity to bring your feelings into line with what you've had so far, I'd not go wider because of that.
Length a little more split, 166cm and with twin tip plus rockered ends are going to make for quite a short ski at your dimensions. The 175cm would appear more of a match.

I feel 90mm ski are very good all round for huge variety of conditions, particularly as you want to experience more varied terrain and surface conditions. It's not a big concern that you'll experience less precision in pure piste edge hold, more becoming accustomed to skis in this width and characteristics.

Ah, good to hear that I was on the right track with the Bent 90's. I'll def pick 175 cm if I go for them, thanks! Hopefully it won't take too long to get used to them, going to be quite different..
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm a similar weight to you and really like my Salomon QST 99's. I'd add a pair of QST 92's to you list of skis to try. Salomons are a bit 'marmite' you either love them or you don't.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Unfortunately I can't find the Atomic Bent 90's in stock anywhere. I thought I did, so they either just sold out, or I didn't look properly. Do skis usually not go back in stock until the next season?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
lesarcsneil wrote:
I'm a similar weight to you and really like my Salomon QST 99's. I'd add a pair of QST 92's to you list of skis to try. Salomons are a bit 'marmite' you either love them or you don't.

Oh, do you use them for the same activites as me? Mostly groomers, but some off piste and park?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tipsi wrote:
Unfortunately I can't find the Atomic Bent 90's in stock anywhere. I thought I did, so they either just sold out, or I didn't look properly. Do skis usually not go back in stock until the next season?

Usually patchy supply toward season end in respective matkets. Retail obviously tries to sell it's allocation and clear out for next generation. You have to search all routes to see if you can find interesting stuff.

Suggestion to look at Scott scrapper 95 as potential ski. Slightly wider but good attributes and things like turn initiation to help you get accustomed to a wider platform. Twin with rocker, they make some very good edge geometry on Scott to give a very wide range of usage.

http://youtube.com/v/CYLkcygkOSE maybe of interest.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

lesarcsneil wrote:

Oh, do you use them for the same activites as me? Mostly groomers, but some off piste and park?

In an ideal world I'd use my QST99's 99% off-piste and 1% on-piste, however I'm a dad and in the real world spend about 70% of the time on piste. The QST's are a fun, playful ski and I get on with them. It's hard to say to someone 'try this ski, it'll be awesome', you really need to test a few pairs first and find the make/model that suits you.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was looking for much the same, and bought some of these!

Line Blade
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I run some QST92s and they are pretty good all round - OK on piste, i can potter around with the kids and do some teaching on them, ski switch on them (carefully) and in all but the deepest pow go OK off piste. They can be a bit skittery on really chopped up hard stuff but its a compromise. THey have also been very durable.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've got the same dilemma, and have read of a salomon qst (cant remeber the exact width...92?) But isnt as stiff as the last model making it much more er...poppy and playful. Still good on piste, obviously not as stiff as some though but that will make it better off piste and in the park?
For comparison, my sick day 110s were brilliant fun in soft stuff but hard work on piste in anything less than hero snow! My 8.9 bbrs were great on piste and rather good off too.
snow report
Leonard Smalls wrote:

Line Blade

+1 I have the same, they are nuts! Hard to believe it but the advertising blurb is 100% true.
snow conditions
ski3 wrote:
Tipsi wrote:

Usually patchy supply toward season end in respective matkets. Retail obviously tries to sell it's allocation and clear out for next generation. You have to search all routes to see if you can find interesting stuff.

Suggestion to look at Scott scrapper 95 as potential ski. Slightly wider but good attributes and things like turn initiation to help you get accustomed to a wider platform. Twin with rocker, they make some very good edge geometry on Scott to give a very wide range of usage.

maybe of interest.

Ah thanks, would you recommend those in 168 or 178 cm for me? I do still prefer both the design/graphics and the specs of the Bent 90's, though. I might consider waiting until next season and use the ones I currently have for some indoor practice, but I'll definitely consider these as well. What month does new stock usually appear?
ski holidays
lesarcsneil wrote:
Quote:

lesarcsneil wrote:

In an ideal world I'd use my QST99's 99% off-piste and 1% on-piste, however I'm a dad and in the real world spend about 70% of the time on piste. The QST's are a fun, playful ski and I get on with them. It's hard to say to someone 'try this ski, it'll be awesome', you really need to test a few pairs first and find the make/model that suits you.

Alright I will give these a look! I don't have the luxury to try a bunch of different skis since I'll be practicing on indoor pistes where they rent out only a single model of skis. Unless I rent online which is pricey. So if I'm not 100% sure I don't think I'll buy them just yet, based on what you are saying. But they do sound nice, although also a bit more directional.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 22-03-22 21:39; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Leonard Smalls wrote:

I actually watched this exact video a couple of days ago, haha! Though they struck me as more directional than what I'm looking for. Especially since I'm new to freestyle skiing, would these not feel a bit nervous riding switch? I just looked for stock and I can only find the purple version. Personally really hate the look of the purple ones..
snow report
Tipsi wrote:
ski3 wrote:
Tipsi wrote:

maybe of interest.

Ah thanks, would you recommend those in 168 or 178 cm for me? I do still prefer both the design/graphics and the specs of the Bent 90's, though. I might consider waiting until next season and use the ones I currently have for some indoor practice, but I'll definitely consider these as well. What month does new stock usually appear?

The 178cm would be closest. You'd get away with 168cm but with skills development may find them short of ideal preference longer term.

If you're UK based, then new released stock seems to get into retail around October-ish.

Some Bents available https://www.skibartlett.com/ski-equipment-c1/skis-c3/freestyle-skis-c31/atomic-bent-90-ski-2023-p21820 but only in 166cm. Some may turn up as retailers do stock take and see what they have to clear out inter season, so you may find some Bents come out of the woodwork in preferred size yet.
Sometimes the "outlayer" style and capabilities wise skis leave stragglers in not selling, in other words, wierd stuff left on the shelf. Most of my skis have come from this category over the years Very Happy
ski holidays
Tipsi wrote:
Leonard Smalls wrote:

I actually watched this exact video a couple of days ago, haha! Though they struck me as more directional than what I'm looking for. Especially since I'm new to freestyle skiing, would these not feel a bit nervous riding switch? I just looked for stock and I can only find the purple version. Personally really hate the look of the purple ones..

I bought the black '21 ones - Snowtrax still have 181s:
https://www.snowtraxstore.co.uk/skis/7076-line-blade-skis-2021.html
ski holidays
@Tipsi, my vote would be for the bent 100 , such a versatile ski , powder / piste / park and good in trees and variable snow too , just don't go too long as even though it will ski short , it still feel long if your not used to a 180 ski , I had the 172 and it was super stable at speed , last two years ski are the same in make up just new top sheets so some deals to be had on the 2020/21 ski for sure
latest report
Armada Stranger - chargeable & buttery
ski holidays
ski3 wrote:
The 178cm would be closest. You'd get away with 168cm but with skills development may find them short of ideal preference longer term.

If you're UK based, then new released stock seems to get into retail around October-ish.

Some Bents available https://www.skibartlett.com/ski-equipment-c1/skis-c3/freestyle-skis-c31/atomic-bent-90-ski-2023-p21820 but only in 166cm. Some may turn up as retailers do stock take and see what they have to clear out inter season, so you may find some Bents come out of the woodwork in preferred size yet.
Sometimes the "outlayer" style and capabilities wise skis leave stragglers in not selling, in other words, wierd stuff left on the shelf. Most of my skis have come from this category over the years Very Happy

Ah I'll keep my eyes out, thanks! I live in The Netherlands btw.
snow report
Leonard Smalls wrote:
Tipsi wrote:
Leonard Smalls wrote:

I bought the black '21 ones - Snowtrax still have 181s:
https://www.snowtraxstore.co.uk/skis/7076-line-blade-skis-2021.html

After doing a bit more research, they do sound great and are now pretty high up on my list! Great for carving quick short turns while still being decent off piste and more playful than your typical carving ski. I was able to find the 176 cm pair of the black version. Tho do you think this is too long for my stats, especially since it's marketed as for advanced skiers. (Ofcourse I want the skis to be great as I progress as a skier)

Also the description says "Due to the unique shape and the longer effective edge, the blade is about 5 cm longer than the numbers shown." Does that mean 176 cm is actually 181 cm, or am I misinterpreting?
snow report
Dabber wrote:
@Tipsi, my vote would be for the bent 100 , such a versatile ski , powder / piste / park and good in trees and variable snow too , just don't go too long as even though it will ski short , it still feel long if your not used to a 180 ski , I had the 172 and it was super stable at speed , last two years ski are the same in make up just new top sheets so some deals to be had on the 2020/21 ski for sure

Hmm, I think they may be a bit too wide for my liking. Especially coming from 66 mm racing skis. I won't be doing a ton of powder skiing.
snow conditions
Tipsi wrote:
I was able to find the 176 cm pair of the black version. Tho do you think this is too long for my stats, especially since it's marketed as for advanced skiers. (Ofcourse I want the skis to be great as I progress as a skier)

Also the description says "Due to the unique shape and the longer effective edge, the blade is about 5 cm longer than the numbers shown." Does that mean 176 cm is actually 181 cm, or am I misinterpreting?

I've gone for 169cm and I'm 173 tall and 72kg. And they are 169cm, just with a long effective carving edge.
snow report
Leonard Smalls wrote:
Tipsi wrote:
I was able to find the 176 cm pair of the black version. Tho do you think this is too long for my stats, especially since it's marketed as for advanced skiers. (Ofcourse I want the skis to be great as I progress as a skier)

I've gone for 169cm and I'm 173 tall and 72kg. And they are 169cm, just with a long effective carving edge.

Ah, and do you consider yourself advanced? 176 cm is also 4 cm shorter than me, just like in your case. Though I'm also 72 kg. Decisions decisions..
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm probably advanced intermediate... Happy on anything pisted, can carve passably well with some decent lean angles and only become a flailing loon on steep moguls. No doubt the Blades will fix that Very Happy
snow conditions
Tipsi wrote:
Leonard Smalls wrote:
Tipsi wrote:

Ah, and do you consider yourself advanced? 176 cm is also 4 cm shorter than me, just like in your case. Though I'm also 72 kg. Decisions decisions..

I’m 5 10 and 90kg and have the 176’s, I haven’t tried the other lengths but they work well for me, I can get big GS style turns out of them and short snappy ones too! They aren’t the stiffest and will chatter at high speed (I probably notice this more than most as I came over from Volkls which were stiffer). They still carve well and drive turns at speed, but not as well as the stiffer all mountain skis. They are great in the slush and chop, mouguls weren’t really an issue for them atall, haven’t tried them in the powder yet (sadly). I personally think they would be fine for intermediate or above but just bear in mind the big shovels at the front are going to feel weird and won’t suit those who ski “traditional” and very close together, also, they need edge angle to work, no way they can be ski’d flat! Switch I found ok but I’m not the best at riding switch in the first place so not likely to be the best to comment.
snow conditions
I have a pair of K2 Mindbenders in a 98 waist (mine are a 2020-21model I think). I’m a 5’6” girl, but not too dissimilar in weight though probably a more advanced skier.

I’d recommend having a look at the K2 range as I’ve found mine to be an excellent all mountain ski. I’ve been skiing them in Canada, in everything from hard packed ice to pretty good fresh snow (though the best powder was reserved for my Whitedot Preachers snowHead ). The Mindbenders cut through crud, cruise happily on groomers, have an edge on icy stuff and float in a bit of fresh. They feel really solid when I need them to, but playful if I’m popping around moguls and are happy to go into steep/powder/chop and I still feel they’re the right ski. Worth a look, I reckon: https://k2snow.com/en-ca/c/skis/mindbender-skis/?offset=100#clp-main

Ms T.
ski holidays
don't over think it buy what's in the sales.

I've down sized from a 98mm daily ski(still have and use) to a 85mm daily ski. I much prefer the 85mm as an all rounder. only drama I found when a storm rolled in and Avi level shot up. I was almost having to straight line anything safe to ski on.
snow report
Mother hucker wrote:

I've down sized from a 98mm daily ski(still have and use) to a 85mm daily ski. I much prefer the 85mm as an all rounder. only drama I found when a storm rolled in and Avi level shot up. I was almost having to straight line anything safe to ski on.

Hmm, I'd rather pay a few 100 bucks extra to get the right pair for my needs so I can use it for 5+ years. It's a pretty big decision to me personally.
snow conditions
Tnx everyone for the suggestions Smile I'll put them all side by side, but so far I'm mostly leaning towards the Line Blade or waiting for new Atomic Bent 90 stock.
snow conditions
Tipsi wrote:
Mother hucker wrote:

Hmm, I'd rather pay a few 100 bucks extra to get the right pair for my needs so I can use it for 5+ years. It's a pretty big decision to me personally.

All the manufactures make an all mountain ski at 100mm-ish underfoot. you dont want metal in it as an intermediate skier and at your weight. Buy whatever EKO sport has on sale in your size, They'll all have rocker they'll all do the job. You don't even know what's the right ski or you wouldn't be asking
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy