Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help my wife ski faster (and keep up with me!)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
zikomo wrote:
You can “carve” at low speeds and gentle gradients. Leaving two clean railroad tracks. I do this with my kids all the time on gentle paths. It is harder without the aid of gravity, and thus very good training.

Most recreational skiers who “carve” simply engage the edge and hold it, essentially parking and riding. They cannot slow down, get out of the carve, or change the radius of the turn at will They do indeed pick up a lot of speed which they are not fully in control of, especially near the fall line. Which is both dangerous and unskillful.it’s a bit like golf, it is not that hard to do with modern equipment but very hard to do well.

Fitness is also an issue. I certainly can’t carve as well as I used to be able to because I don’t ski enough and no longer have the flexibility.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think my first priority would be in keeping my partner engaged with the sport, mine isn’t largely due to a bad experience when being instructed by an ESF instructor 30 years ago, resulting in me being consigned to mates trips ever since, which I regret immensely.

My second though is to identity the right instructor to give you one to two lessons to improve both of your techniques, rather than just hers. When I have lessons, and I still do with probably 30 weeks under my belt, when I am asked what I want to achieve I invariably ask to work on improving my control … I usually find I end up skiing much faster as a result of improving my control … just a thought.

Finally, as I get older, the ability to ski well and elegantly seems to be an increasing priority to be, rather than bombing down a piste, occasionally whilst viewing from a chairlift I see some very tidy and elegant skiers, not the fastest, but impressive all the same …
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
viciousvulture wrote:
Layne wrote:
@viciousvulture, what is her history/bio? I mean if she's been skiing a couple of weeks the answers may be different to if she's been 20 weeks.

Also what's her general mindset about skiing? Does she just see it as a bit of social thing or as a sport... does she get a buzz out of it and want to challenge herself?

A couple of school trips, but that was a long time ago. Otherwise a week recently.

OK, so when you say "she always seems like she's stuck in gear 1|" that's a bit disingenuous. "Always" gave me the impression she had been skiing much longer.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
philwig wrote:
A "pure carved turn" would appear to be a different thing from what most people consider to be "carving"
and sounds a bit pedantic. Outside a race course no one's doing "pure carved turns", at least in civilized
resorts where such speed would be foolhardy and dangerous wink
OK, so are we talking about carved turns or "not-carved-turns-but-we'll-call-them-carved-turns" ??

Anyway, I have broken my golden rule of not getting involved in technical discussions on here, so "I'm out"... but to the OP @viciousvulture - I would second some of the other comments - does she want to ski faster? The most important factor is that she is enjoying it and wants to continue skiing. One observation of the first bit of the video is that she is skiing a reasonably direct line - as they say over in the US "skiing the fast line slowly" is a great way of making progress reasonably efficiently from point A (top of the slope) to point B (bottom of the slope) without the skier actually having to travel fast (as opposed to skiing a very indirect line, and having to move quickly along this to achieve the same overall goal...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
zikomo wrote:
As an aside, most of the couples lessons I have taken the man has been the faster skier and the woman has been the better skier. Partly it is confidence, but there is a large part of ego involved also. And a belief that as he can go faster the man is the better skier. Often told they the woman needs the most help and I should concentrate on her, with the man “generously” offering to be happy with if the drills are a bit below his level. I really detest the condescension inherent in this, especially when it’s a guy who clearly lacks control.

There is a lot of truth in this stereotype!

Honestly my experience is most couples would be happier not skiing together (or at least limiting time somewhat). Women often end up having a terrible time as their male partners push them into skiing faster or more difficult trails than they are comfortable with. Even though the men often are poorer skiers, just have far more (way too much!) confidence.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy