Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help my wife ski faster (and keep up with me!)

Poster: A snowHead
I feel like she's got so much more potential, she's always very balanced, never falling over. But she always seems like she's stuck in gear 1, like it's almost too easy!

The talent and ability is there I think, she can do the 1 legged drill reasonably well which is impressive.

But as you can see, quite slow down the slope.

Without further ado, here she is in action:

http://youtube.com/v/7gt8k2q4vMc
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Short answer is I think you both need some lessons.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
She's skiing nicely and is in control.

Speed comes with practice, concentrate on technique first and foremost. All great skiers can do perfect turns at a snail's pace. It's much easier to do them at speed.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Aside from the lessons, which I agree with - IME. Being more comfortable at speed needs your arms in the correct position - which is much more forward and visible in the eyeline when looking where you are going. One needs to be in an athletic "ready" position.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Old Fartbag wrote:
Aside from the lessons, which I agree with - IME. Being more comfortable at speed needs your arms in the correct position - which is much more forward and visible in the eyeline when looking where you are going. One needs to be in an athletic "ready" position.

I'm glad you said this, this is EXACTLY what I've been saying. I think it'll provide stability, therefore confidence.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
viciousvulture wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

I'm glad you said this, this is EXACTLY what I've been saying. I think it'll provide stability, therefore confidence.

"Arms forward" on their own is not a catch all solution. If you are in the back seat, it won't help. If in a balanced athletic position and flexed at the ankles - then it can certainly help.

With the arms in the correct position, the Pole Plant movement comes from the wrist and not an upward movement of the arm, which throws you off balance.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 11-03-22 18:01; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
viciousvulture wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

On a more meta level. In order to keep your wife skiing with you, I'd completely avoid giving her tips, even if asked for.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As a pootler myself, sometimes it's nice to ski slowly. And sometimes it's enormously irritating, especially if your other half is always waiting for you.

I had a lesson yesterday focusing on 'active' skiing - skiing with intention. I wanted to sort skiing defensively when i get to steeper bits out of nerves, but the lesson got me shifting as well. The feeling of ankle, knee and hip flex was ridiculous, but she showed me a video and i was actually hardly moving. Laughing Key was though - harder intentional pressure through outside ski, hands forward, stance forward, attack a bit more (she said i ski passively and have a lazy mind... Embarassed ) Some (safe) straightlining in the correct stance and tuck helped with getting used to more speed.

That said, i still couldn't keep up with my other half as he's heavier than me and has no survival instincts. So you'll probably need to learn to ski slower anyway. wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@viciousvulture, …I have posted about the merits of slow skiing. I was forced into this by having tiny skiers (offspring rather than adopted elves) and consciously refined my base technique as a result. This is vital as you age…base technique must be rock solid to enable you to ski as you age.

Try skiing slowly on boiler plate….concentrates the mind and improves technique considerably. But to ski slowly and correctly requires some coaching input. Just as Zikomo suggests. I had a full day in 2019-20 with Alex from Swiss Mountain Sports which was pretty pivotal…
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
As a woman, I would suggest that if you go into this with the attitude "just do what I say, little lady, and you'll be as good as me" then you're doomed, my friend. Laughing

To my inexpert eye, neither of you is using your arms optimally. If you keep your uphill arm up and well within your vision (not swing the outside arm around) it does help.

Get lessons - together - before you learn too many bad habits. You're both doing really well for only one week's skiing, and many people give up lessons far too soon.

It's not, as @Kramer says, about speed. When I joined a ski class a bit above my level, years ago, I said to the instructor I hoped I'd be able to ski fast enough. He fixed me with a beady eye and said he hoped I could ski slow enough.... then set off down a red slope doing beautiful S-shaped turns, very slowly, and insisting I followed his tracks and stayed 2 metres behind. I did stay 2 metres behind, but only by dint of some inelegant braking - not in his lovely sinuous tracks. He accepted me into the group, but he'd made his point.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@viciousvulture, what is her history/bio? I mean if she's been skiing a couple of weeks the answers may be different to if she's been 20 weeks.

Also what's her general mindset about skiing? Does she just see it as a bit of social thing or as a sport... does she get a buzz out of it and want to challenge herself?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
He fixed me with a beady eye and said he hoped I could ski slow enough.... then set off down a red slope doing beautiful S-shaped turns, very slowly, and insisting I followed his tracks and stayed 2 metres behind. I did stay 2 metres behind, but only by dint of some inelegant braking - not in his lovely sinuous tracks.

Yes, the elusive, slow, completely controlled, perfect carved turn.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Layne wrote:
@viciousvulture, what is her history/bio? I mean if she's been skiing a couple of weeks the answers may be different to if she's been 20 weeks.

Also what's her general mindset about skiing? Does she just see it as a bit of social thing or as a sport... does she get a buzz out of it and want to challenge herself?

A couple of school trips, but that was a long time ago. Otherwise a week recently.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
valais2 wrote:
@viciousvulture, …I have posted about the merits of slow skiing. I was forced into this by having tiny skiers (offspring rather than adopted elves) and consciously refined my base technique as a result. This is vital as you age…base technique must be rock solid to enable you to ski as you age.

Try skiing slowly on boiler plate….concentrates the mind and improves technique considerably. But to ski slowly and correctly requires some coaching input. Just as Zikomo suggests. I had a full day in 2019-20 with Alex from Swiss Mountain Sports which was pretty pivotal…

Yes, I've found this out too when we've decided to ski together, almost crashing into her a few times! So perhaps it's me that needs to slow down?!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kramer wrote:
pam w wrote:
He fixed me with a beady eye and said he hoped I could ski slow enough.... then set off down a red slope doing beautiful S-shaped turns, very slowly, and insisting I followed his tracks and stayed 2 metres behind. I did stay 2 metres behind, but only by dint of some inelegant braking - not in his lovely sinuous tracks.

Very bloody elusive!

It's true though, most often in lessons, it's having the control to follow correctly that's the most difficult bit. As one instructor we had put it, anyone can go hooning around out of control and badly, the trick is to be in control and skiing well.

Another plus 1 for don't offer hints and tips to your other half. Also don't tell them something is 'easy really' if they're not quite there. I get quite stern and sweary at that point. Laughing
snow conditions
viciousvulture wrote:
valais2 wrote:

Yes, I've found this out too when we've decided to ski together, almost crashing into her a few times! So perhaps it's me that needs to slow down?!

Shocked Is she skiing slowly just to keep out of your way?! wink
ski holidays
ElzP wrote:

Well, come to think of it…
snow report
viciousvulture wrote:
ElzP wrote:

Well, come to think of it…

Laughing

In all seriousness, if you're nearly crashing into her, you probably have a fair bit of work to do on your own skiing. As per everyone else, lessons for both. Lessons are always worth it, and folk on here have good recommendations.

Also, i wish my own skiing after a fair few weeks looked as relaxed as your wife's after one. I'd rather be chilled than fast myself! snowHead
snow conditions
As an analogy ... once upon a time I could swim fast, but my technique was poor.
I had to swim slower and work on my technique in order to get beyond that "expert beginner" stage.
A very polite lady forced me to go slower so later I could go faster.

Indoor slopes are useless for going fast - even straight line people can't get that much speed up - but they're perfect for working on technique.

Overall, I think one would need to be a very special person to be able to "teach" a partner to ski.
And if you look at that video and think the number one issue is speed, you've got a double whammy.
snow report
philwig wrote:

Overall, I think one would need to be a very special person to be able to "teach" a partner to ski.

I very much failed that particular benchmark. I very quickly realised it was a hiding to nothing - and good-looking, chivalrous French Ski Instructors seemed to work considerably better.
snow conditions
philwig wrote:

Standard practice for instructors is to teach each other's partner.
snow report
Quote:

Absolutely. Crashing into your wife from behind would be the ultimate demonstration of incompetence.
snow report
rjs wrote:
philwig wrote:

Standard practice for instructors is to teach each other's partner.

100% right. I am an instructor and am really into the analysis and technical side. My wife is an expert skier with a busted ACL and didn’t ski for many years while we had our 4 kids. I could definitely help her out on occasion. I don’t. I get friends to do it.
ski holidays
I gave up trying to help my kids and enrolled them in race club instead. People that really know what they are doing (and more importantly aren't related) made a huge difference.
snow report
Quote:

Let's all just be completely clear on one thing - a carved turn, by its very nature can not be slow (in terms of speed of travel of the skier).
snow report
Why not?
latest report
I presume the centripetal forces would need to be sufficiently high, otherwise you'd topple over. Bit like swinging a bucket of water over your head.
latest report
IMV. A slow carved turn can be done by slowly tipping both skis on edge with the knees and patiently allowing them to take you round the corner. It leaves 2 pencil tracks in the snow, so is carving. I think it is often the first introduction to making a carved turn.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was told that the secret to a slow carved turn was making sure to complete the turn to control speed at the end of it by turning back up the hill.

Agree that at the beginning and middle of the turn a carved turn will accelerate the skier, because the acceleration forces massively outweigh the minimal friction from a ski on edge moving forward.
snow conditions
Kramer wrote:
I was told that the secret to a slow carved turn was making sure to complete the turn to control speed at the end of it by turning back up the hill.

Agree that at the beginning and middle of the turn a carved turn will accelerate the skier, because the acceleration forces massively outweigh the minimal friction from a ski on edge moving forward.

http://youtube.com/v/1IDwoN_fdJA
latest report
mmm... I have to confess to showing my (then) gf "how to ski parallel" on her second day on snow... 25 years ago... but she insisted and is way braver and more athletic than me. I have two observations to throw in, I think not mentioned before...
- Going fast is not the same as choosing the speed you go at. We see it all the time, people wizzing down the slopes looking hopeless... many (most imv) are really not choosing to go fast... are you saying that you are?
- Choosing your speed requires a level of mastery over the technique you choose (again IMV and amongst other things). I would say that UR wife has not mastered carving yet/at all - have you? - in that case maybe step back to the the snowplough technique (assuming you've both mastered) and use that solely focussing on going down at differing speeds of your own choosing only using snowplow.. just a thought.
snow report
@viciousvulture, @zikomo nailed it in the very first reply - you would both benefit from lessons. If you are committed to building your skills (as opposed to getting down the mountain as fast as you can, probably in one piece) them the sooner you do it, the fewer bad habits you will have to unlearn.
A few private lessons with a good instructor (get recommendations on here, depending on where you're skiing) will really help you, I think. But if you go down this route, be prepared for the instructor to be saying that your wife is better than you! You may well find that as her confidence builds, she can ski things that you struggle with.

Also, does your wife *want* to ski faster? Mine is very happy to pootle along at a comfortable speed for her, and enjoy the scenery. I can and do ski much faster at times. I am very driven to become a better and stronger skier; she just wants to be on the piste, in the mountains. I stopped being frustrated by this years ago, and instead when we're skiing together I play around (ski switch, do 360s, trip over my own skis and look like an idiot) if I'm not just enjoying slowing down and looking at the view.
latest report
Old Fartbag wrote:
IMV. A slow carved turn can be done by slowly tipping both skis on edge with the knees and patiently allowing them to take you round the corner. It leaves 2 pencil tracks in the snow, so is carving. I think it is often the first introduction to making a carved turn.

A carved turn can finish with the skier moving slowly - because the turn is completed up the hill and gravity has done its work.
A pure carved turn cannot be slow throughout the turn because at some point the skis are pointing in the fall line on edge and accelerating fast.
Now if you are doing short-carved, cross-under turns with some steering through transition to eliminate the period in the fall line then perhaps you could describe that as a slow carved turn but only by taking out a section of the pure craved turn.
ski holidays
As an aside, most of the couples lessons I have taken the man has been the faster skier and the woman has been the better skier. Partly it is confidence, but there is a large part of ego involved also. And a belief that as he can go faster the man is the better skier. Often told they the woman needs the most help and I should concentrate on her, with the man “generously” offering to be happy with if the drills are a bit below his level. I really detest the condescension inherent in this, especially when it’s a guy who clearly lacks control.
snow conditions
Yes - the OP was generous enough to say his wife can do the one-footed drills much better - but he is still at that stage where "ski faster = ski better". Some men never get past that stage, I find. And may be the same when behind the wheel of the family car.
ski holidays
jedster wrote:

A carved turn can finish with the skier moving slowly - because the turn is completed up the hill and gravity has done its work.
A pure carved turn cannot be slow throughout the turn because at some point the skis are pointing in the fall line on edge and accelerating fast.
Now if you are doing short-carved, cross-under turns with some steering through transition to eliminate the period in the fall line then perhaps you could describe that as a slow carved turn but only by taking out a section of the pure craved turn.

Surely it depends on the gradient of the slope. The turn I'm talking about can be done on a gentle Green slope, so at no point will you be shooting off down the Fall Line.
latest report
zikomo wrote:
As an aside, most of the couples lessons I have taken the man has been the faster skier and the woman has been the better skier. Partly it is confidence, but there is a large part of ego involved also. And a belief that as he can go faster the man is the better skier. Often told they the woman needs the most help and I should concentrate on her, with the man “generously” offering to be happy with if the drills are a bit below his level. I really detest the condescension inherent in this, especially when it’s a guy who clearly lacks control.

I don't think you've taught me and my husband but this sounds VERY familiar! Laughing
latest report
offpisteskiing wrote:
... Let's all just be completely clear on one thing - a carved turn, by its very nature can not be slow (in terms of speed of travel of the skier).
I think you're not skiing with good enough people, or you're skiing with people who are riding gear intended to be carved at high speed (eg GS gear). Ordinary piste gear is easy to carve slowly.

jedster wrote:
A pure carved turn cannot be slow throughout the turn....

If you mean "if you only do pure carved turns then your speed will soon become not-slow", well that's true,
but it doesn't mean you can't carve slowly. If I carve a circle around someone that's mostly quick to slow,
for example.

A "pure carved turn" would appear to be a different thing from what most people consider to be "carving"
and sounds a bit pedantic. Outside a race course no one's doing "pure carved turns", at least in civilized
resorts where such speed would be foolhardy and dangerous wink
snow report
I once watched an ESF instructor, on his own, under a chairlift, carving beautiful arc to arc turns - and even as I watched I did realise how very, very, rare that is. I have also watched in admiration some snowboarders, with such a short changing edge moment - etched in the snow. But not usually for many turns at a time. Hardly anybody you see on the mountain is carving turns for any length of time.
snow report
You can “carve” at low speeds and gentle gradients. Leaving two clean railroad tracks. I do this with my kids all the time on gentle paths. It is harder without the aid of gravity, and thus very good training.

Most recreational skiers who “carve” simply engage the edge and hold it, essentially parking and riding. They cannot slow down, get out of the carve, or change the radius of the turn at will They do indeed pick up a lot of speed which they are not fully in control of, especially near the fall line. Which is both dangerous and unskillful.it’s a bit like golf, it is not that hard to do with modern equipment but very hard to do well.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy