Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

All Mtn Ski Choice ~90mm

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

you have maybe seen my other recent threads regarding skis in the 90mm range.

after todays testing i am sold on the idea of geting a 90mm piste-capable all mountain/freeride ski to fill the gap between my AT ski and the 106/181 QST.
The KORE93 today had great hard snow grip, but carving felt dead and limited to the built in radius.

I live in Vorarlberg/Austria. The resorts included in my season pass lie below 2000m, so hard/crappy snow happens. This is part of why I find my QST106 lacking and clumsy every now and then. It can also feel heavy on my feet.

The new ski should have good edge grip, nice variable turn shapes, some compliance off piste and work well in steep chalk and bumps.

I had a long shortlist, but actual availability cuts it down to:

Fischer Ranger Ti 92 in 178
Salomon QST 92/177 (hard to find, actually)
Armada Declivity 92/180 (would have to buy from England including customs hassle, but hey)

Does any of you know the Ranger 92? Is it very demanding?

I am hestistant to pay to try an Enforcer 88 for weight/stiffness reasons.

Am I missing an abvious alternative?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 9-03-22 20:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've seen good reports of the new Rossignol Experience 86Ti (or Basalt for the more forgiving version). It's supposed to be really good On Piste and has enough width to get you by Off Piste. It is an All Mountain ski with a Piste bias.....but you already have an Off Piste orientated ski.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
looks good, albeit expensive....

Would a Rustler 9 work?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kastlè FX 86 (maybe available on discounted stock) https://www.skiessentials.com/2021-ski-test/skis/2021-kastle-fx86/ their construction quality is genuinely something to consider. They are sublime to ski on with often such a wide set of performance criteria that in others may need different skis to encompass the same. Worth trying if you can.

Would say FX 96 but your not looking for something so close to your existing ski.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
danbre2022 wrote:
looks good, albeit expensive....

Would a Rustler 9 work?

No idea, I'm afraid, as they've never been on my radar. I would expect it will be a damp, hard charging ski - which is what Blizzard are known for. Maybe others can give better feedback

The only time I tried Blizzard skis were some Quattros - I found them very stable, but a bit dull and lacking in the more playful nature I look for.....but I am light @66kg. On that holiday, as I was hiring, I swapped them for some Head Magnums which I much preferred - They were stable and a lot of fun.

I think the Rossis would be a nice mixture of fun and stable......maybe worth a try along with anything else you might fancy.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
danbre2022 wrote:
Hi all,

after todays testing i am sold on the idea of geting a 90mm piste-capable all mountain/freeride ski to fill the gap between my AT ski and the 106/181 QST.
The KORE93 today had great hard snow grip, but carving felt dead and limited to the built in radius.

I live in Vorarlberg/Austria. The resorts included in my season pass lie below 2000m, so hard/crappy snow happens. This is part of why I find my QST106 lacking and clumsy every now and then. It can also feel heavy on my feet.

The new ski should have good edge grip, nice variable turn shapes, some compliance off piste and work well in steep chalk and bumps.

Armada Declivity 92/180 (would have to buy from England including customs hassle, but hey)

Thanks in advance!

I was after a similar thing to you a little while ago, originally I was on a set of Volkl kendo’s which were fantastic but worn out, really good on piste, a little bit on the stiff side but great edge grip.

I’ve replaced them (they were knackered) with a set of Line Blades - appreciate this is VERY off the wall choice, might be worth a look.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have you looked at the Brahma 88? Or the Kastle MX88? I have skied the narrower version of both these and they excel in the conditions you describe. And really put a smile on your face.

Talking of putting a smile on your face, today's random ski recommendation is the Line Sakana.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How about Scott Slight93s? They're fairly light and have been de-ranged for next season so you may catch a bargain as all the sellers will be trying to clear out stock.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jd_evans wrote:
How about Scott Slight93s? They're fairly light and have been de-ranged for next season so you may catch a bargain as all the sellers will be trying to clear out stock.

I absolutely love The Ski, which I own.....so would expect the Slights to be great.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Brahma and MX88 seem a litte demanding? I am more "finesse" (just without actual finesse) than than agressive, and ski in AT boots. stiff ones, but still.

The Scott Slight 93 seems interesting. I loved my Crusairs back then!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
danbre2022 wrote:
Brahma and MX88 seem a litte demanding? I am more "finesse" (just without actual finesse) than than agressive, and ski in AT boots. stiff ones, but still.

The Brahma maybe but apparently the 2022 version is more forgiving. But just because the MXs can be driven hard, it doesn't mean they have to be, I spend a fair bit of my time noodling about with the kids and the skis are not demanding at all, unlike the kids. In my opinion, giving them a try will be worth your while.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
+1 for the Scott Slight. I wrote this a couple of years ago:-
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3392102&highlight=scott+slight#3392102
I still think they are brilliant Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just in case you haven't already seen this ...

http://youtube.com/v/-41q8XBK7TM
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If I was looking for a new ski the Volkswagen Blaze and 2023 Fischer Rangers would be on my radar. Would like to read any reviews of them.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
LDP816 wrote:
a set of Line Blades - appreciate this is VERY off the wall choice, might be worth a look.

I've done the same thing! They're allegedly arriving today; first thing I'm going to do is strap 'em on and see how well they carve down the stairs!
latest report
danbre2022 wrote:

I also loved my Crusairs back in the day. Have Blizzard Rustler 11’s - very nice skis. Not tried the 9’s. Suspect they would be nice and not too demanding. Also have Kaestle FX96 which are superb on piste and chopped up snow / small bumps. Have heard great things about Fischer skis and interested in Fischer 102’s. Hoping to get on some soon.
snow report
I think you have been given excellent choices. The decision you have to make, is how light and playful you want the skis to be and how Piste orientated. The more playful they are, the lower the top speed is likely to be. The more Piste orientated they are, the less easy they will likely be to take Off Piste.

Ideally, you want to try as many skis as you can get hold of....provided that doesn't confuse the hell out of you. The other option, is to pin down which set of compromises you want to make and thus have a smaller shortlist.

At one end of the spectrum, you have Scott and Head Core; at the other you have the likes of Nordica, Kastle and Blizzard. Rossignol probably falls somewhere in the middle. I also think Volkl may mix Damp, with a reasonable fun factor.....but things are changing all the time, as skis are made lighter.

A ski that is more playful and forgiving can be skied longer - which adds to the stability and grip, while giving more surface area for Off Piste. This is why I can manage Scott The Ski in a 180, in a way that I wouldn't consider some Brahmas in that length.
ski holidays
That's a very informative review @DB, as they convey why they like each attribute rather than just giving statement of x is better than y etc.

OP spoilt for choice I think, that's a very accomplished width category at 90mm.
snow conditions
Ripstick 88
ski holidays
Ionizingskin wrote:
Ripstick 88

+1 (Black version) Toofy Grin
snow report
Ordered a Ripstick 88 today. Seems to have a pretty unique blend of edge grip and flexible turn shape. Possibe speed ceiling, I do not care. I like to ski in control and safely anyway.

It will undercut my AT skis in weight though Shocked

thanks everyone!
snow conditions
danbre2022 wrote:
Ordered a Ripstick 88 today. Seems to have a pretty unique blend of edge grip and flexible turn shape. Possibe speed ceiling, I do not care. I like to ski in control and safely anyway.

It will undercut my AT skis in weight though Shocked

thanks everyone!

Excellent.

Let us know what you think.
ski holidays
I will!

went with the 180 length btw.

I tend to grab the 2nd longest length usually- there are so many heftier guys than me on the hill Laughing

I will also check mounting hole overlaps before I drill, just in case I wand to put AT binders on later...the idea doesn't seem very far off.
snow conditions
danbre2022 wrote:

went with the 180 length btw.

That sounds about right to me.
latest report
Turns out delivery is not quite safe, maybe the ski wasn't actually available.

Quick research for available alternatives, looks like I could get an Armada Declivity 88c in a 184. Should be a fairly accessible ski.

Would 184 be overkill? Still shorter than me though Very Happy
snow report
My new Scott Slight93s were £275 flat and are now waxed and ready to go Cool
ski holidays
good deal!
ski holidays
danbre2022 wrote:

I don't have my own skis but rented a pair of Blizzard Brama 88's last week in St Anton. They were 171 long (I'm 170cm tall/80Kg). I enjoyed skiing on them, and would try to get the same again. They were good on both hard packed pistes and also soft snow and mogully areas and they are not hard work to ski, though they are a little bit on the heavy side compared to what I usually rent.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@JohnS4, there's no finer ski in its class than the Brahma 88. And that length is the correct one for your stats.
snow report
Can strongly recommend the atomic vantage 90ti. Light holds an edge. My other pair of skis are head magnums and generally prefer to ski on the vantage. I ski on the 2017 model but if you search on eBay they have the following year model. Think it’s a lighter ski than the Brahma
ski holidays
turns out the Declivity 88 is stiff as f*** . was stiffer than a Kore93 for example. not sure what type of humor it is when armada characterise the flex as 4-6-4 on a scale that goes to 10. honestly.

hello armada, this makes for an unnecessary return to the shop.
ski holidays
danbre2022 wrote:
turns out the Declivity 88 is stiff as f*** . was stiffer than a Kore93 for example. not sure what type of humor it is when armada characterise the flex as 4-6-4 on a scale that goes to 10. honestly.

hello armada, this makes for an unnecessary return to the shop.

Sorry to hear that.

I think you should keep an eye out for Scott Slight 93 or Rossignol Experience 86 Basalt.
latest report
danbre2022 wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

I bought a pair of enforcer 88's last year and got to try them for the first time in Feb. They're heavy, but a really nice ski. Carv really nicely, but you do need a reasonable amount of speed before they really come alive.
ski holidays
Interesting thread. I’m looking at some 90ish mm skis as an alternative to my only other pair of skis (Rossignol Experience 80). I want them for resort skiing, messing about between the pistes and possibly getting into off piste a bit more. Might even get an alternative binding and use them for a first foray into touring (so on the lighter side).

I’ve got a reasonable technique when conditions are good, but can get a bit cautious if conditions aren’t great. I don’t know huge amounts about ski technology though.

Any advice on what to be looking at?
snow conditions
@hammerite, Whitedot Altum 94 or Ronde 96.
snow report
I am interested in the Head Kore 93. I have read some good reviews regarding the 2022 model. Anyone able to provide some feedback?
ski holidays
hammerite wrote:
Interesting thread. I’m looking at some 90ish mm skis as an alternative to my only other pair of skis (Rossignol Experience 80). I want them for resort skiing, messing about between the pistes and possibly getting into off piste a bit more. Might even get an alternative binding and use them for a first foray into touring (so on the lighter side).

I’ve got a reasonable technique when conditions are good, but can get a bit cautious if conditions aren’t great. I don’t know huge amounts about ski technology though.

I used a 79mm ski for getting into off/side piste in formative learning as they were "wider" then Very Happy but for general use now really think the 90mm range has a particular sweet spot for all conditions ski. No they're not up into powder ski width, but extend a long way into giving a great platform to help you while still being extremely capable piste ski.

Jon suggestion of Whitedot Altum 94 seems a very good option to consider.
snow report
hammerite wrote:

If you liked the Rossis - the new Experience is supposed to be a fairly major re-design. The 86 (Ti or Basalt) is supposed to be better On Piste and a little less versatile Off Piste. The Basalt would make life a little easier away from the Piste. If 80-90% of your time was spent On Piste, then it could be a good choice.

If looking for something wider, I will throw the Scott Slight 93 mentioned above into mix (again).
latest report
@spyderjon, @ski3, @Old Fartbag, thanks for the suggestions. I will take a look.

@Old Fartbag, I do like my Rossis a lot. They’re just very easy to ski. I live in a ski resort at the moment so having an alternative ski for when there’s any fresh snow would be good.
snow report
Stöckli Laser AX - Not quite as wide as you are looking for, but just as versatile as my Brahma 88, and a lot more fun on-piste. Rent it for a day, and try it out!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy