Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thinking about new ski wear after 30+ years of skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Old Fartbag wrote:
AL9000 wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
AL9000 wrote:
@Old Fartbag, with suspenders?

Do you need to ask?

Very Happy
Name change to Old Tartbag?

Laughing
Maybe Old TartyFartbag

Very Happy

Any relation to Old Slartibartfast?

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AL9000 wrote:

Any relation to Old Slartibartfast?

He's my Son! Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@REALLY Old TartyFartbag, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
tangowaggon wrote:
Layne wrote:
@tangowaggon, has the thread been helpful? Do you know what you have a good idea what you are going to buy now?

From my first post, I know exactly what I want to buy, the advice wanted was whether anyone had come across such an outfit & where to get it, I wasn't after advice what to wear, just where to get it.

Oooookay

And has the thread been useful in that respect?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Layne wrote:
tangowaggon wrote:
Layne wrote:
@tangowaggon, has the thread been helpful? Do you know what you have a good idea what you are going to buy now?

From my first post, I know exactly what I want to buy, the advice wanted was whether anyone had come across such an outfit & where to get it, I wasn't after advice what to wear, just where to get it.

Oooookay

And has the thread been useful in that respect?

Actually it has, I had totally forgotten about sport pursuit, I think I will be resigned to ordering a load of stuff mail order & returning that which is unsuitable, most of the physical shops that I have tried are either wall to wall dull dark colours or just silly money.

The thread has also made me think deeper into the issue with my choice of ski wear, the whole discussion from other people has been about dealing with the "problem" of excess sweat. I really hate being hot & sweaty so I use a "quality" approach of getting rid of the problem of excess sweating in the first place by a more appropriate choice of ski wear with quickly adjustable ventilation and colours that don't absorb heat from secondary sources so I can avoid getting hot & sweaty in the first place.

"Layers" may be fine but adding or removing a layer is a faff & usually requires a place to store discarded/spare layers, unless I am offpiste, I'd rather not carry a back pack. Zipped ventilation in the outer wind proof layer is a quick & efficient way of dumping heat & moist air, additionally, full length zips on mid layers are a quick & easy way of dumping excess heat.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@tangowaggon, I've found Sportpursuit kit to be seconds or imperfect in some ways. A wetting out HH couloir.jacket that I can't seem to reproof no matter what. Shirts and jumpers that have the odd issue etc etc . Just my real world experience.

I recently bought a great Phenix Jacket from tkmaxx for £129 that is perfect.. I bought gear from tiso.com, nevisport, Ellis Brigham etc from their sales that is about the same price as sportpursuit but was in better condition.

So have a look there as well.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
To fit original brief, one of the best base layers I've ever used is Falke which made such a difference to the items that you could use as shell etc. It's just the enormous temperature range over which it seems to work, nothing magically special about material (so many claims are made, aren't they) and just synthetic not their merino mix.
Similar in that I can easily generate heat, but trying to go out without taking alternative layers to mitigate against extreme cold at altitude or weather changes. It's nice to ski with minimal clothing that can genuinely cope with wide temperature variation.

As example, yomped it from Zermatt train terminus to Gornergrat cable car in ski boots and carrying skis etc in open sun, jackets etc open. But then ascending to top of second lift closing on 4000 mtrs, the contrast couldn't be more different. Was amazed at just how easily it coped with such a shift without over or under heating. They don't appear to be anything special, but genuinely well made with just basic high performance effect as their standard. One of those items that doesn't seem to smell either, possibly as a result of not making wearer too hot in the first place. A very good roster of attributes.

Worthwhile considering as part of overall strategy and perhaps give more open choice of shell as combination to partner them.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tangowaggon wrote:

"Layers" may be fine but adding or removing a layer is a faff & usually requires a place to store discarded/spare layers, unless I am offpiste, I'd rather not carry a back pack. Zipped ventilation in the outer wind proof layer is a quick & efficient way of dumping heat & moist air, additionally, full length zips on mid layers are a quick & easy way of dumping excess heat.

If the layers, especially the Base Layer, are carefully chosen, the need to remove/add items is actually much less. You dress according to the weather - and because you remain dry and comfortable, you don't need to keep adjusting your clothing.

A quality shell will be windproof (combating the problem of wind chill) and have venting that can be used if necessary.

BTW. I get your resistance. I am all too familiar with "Stubborn Old Man Syndrome" - as in, "I've skied for over 30 years, so don't need to be told how to dress!!" Over the years, I've skied in everything from Cotton to Flannel to Nylon. In the early 70s, I even wore those fitted Lillywhites 1960s style gabardine ski pants, that went inside the boots and had hoops under the feet. I haven't skied in Plus 4s and feel I have missed out there! Toofy Grin

I thought all this fancy layering idea was bollox - until I tried it.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 6-03-22 14:10; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just as an aside because perhaps some ignorance/misunderstanding on my part. I checked one of my children's ski jackets (Surfanic) and sure enough it is insulated. Or should I say it has a thin insulating layer (so 3 layers). But it wasn't what I envisaged when the word insulated was used. I have a down jacket and and an insulated Craghopper parka. If I do something fairly strenuous in either of these I get quite sweaty. I would imagined if I skied in them I would get very sweaty on the downhill and then very cold on the up - regardless of base layers, although thinking about it I would be wearing cotton when wearing the jackets I mentioned above so that wouldn't help either. Anyhow, clarifying my own thoughts more than anything.

@tangowaggon, glad you have found it useful. I don't like physical shopping myself so not always easy when buying not run of the mill stuff. FWIW I've never really got on with Sportpursuit. Not sure why, find it a bit difficult to navigate, never sure if it's as cheap as they make out. Etc. But others seem to like it so...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Layne, My understanding, is a Ski Jacket is either a Shell, or it is insulated. Insulation can be be very light; Targeted eg. it is heavier round the body and lighter in the arms; or it can be substantial, like a high level of Down etc.

My Daughter feels the cold, has poor circulation and has Raynauds - so needs decent insulation, heated glove liners and doesn't get sweaty. I run fairly normal, so dress according to the weather, the wind chill, the altitude I will be skiing and how hard I will be skiing. Different people have different needs. IMO. The hotter you run, the more important moisture management becomes.

The venting zips greatly help if you exceed the ability of your layers to cope. The combination of Wickability(?) / Breathability / Venting / Windproofness, means (especially in a Shell) that one can cope with a wide range of temperatures. If skiing outside of the Piste and doing a lot of skinning up hill, the chances are you will have a backpack and can throw an extra insulating layer into that, in case there is a dramatic change in the weather (you don't have the option to nip home for another layer and cold can kill).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
https://www.odlo.com/gb/en/the-blackcomb-eco-long-sleeve-with-facemask-188572.html Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just to add my 2p because I'm waiting around here. I've also ridden for many years, but I still enjoy new stuff which is almost always better than old stuff. I don't remember not using layers - that seems obvious.

• I don't ever change layers "on the hill". The only time you'd need to do that would be if you stopped for lunch in the back country... in which case you'll have a pack with your lunch in it and a down jacket to stop you getting cold.
  • Check the weather forecast and put on the number of layers you need for that.
  • Use a shell jacket, or you'll need a different one in spring than winter.
  • Use only jackets/ pants with pit zips/ vents. Open the vents when you're warm, eg at the bottom of a run. Close them when cold, eg when travelling back up on a windy lift.
  • Whilst I don't use jacket hoods, if you have a mid-layer with a hood (eg the synthetic Arc stuff), then they have thin insulated hoots which can be worn underneath a helmet for extra warmth.

Assuming one is dressed reasonably, then if you sweat, that's a technique issue wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy