Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thinking about new ski wear after 30+ years of skiing

Poster: A snowHead
@tangowaggon, look at Rab on Sport Pursuit
I’ve not had an outer layer of theirs but have had piles of the mid layers before (gilets, puffa jackets etc) and it’s been good stuff for the money.

Mammut is good stuff as well, had a brilliant rucksack of theirs but had it in a sale.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rjs wrote:
@tangowaggon, Why not start with new baselayers that you can wash, then pick the top layers that provide the correct temperature for you.

Actually, I'm seeing it from the other perspective, I'm looking for an outer layer that provides wind and weather protection and ventilation when needed but using base layers to provide the correct temperature for the conditions, as I say, I don't currently wear any base layer under my salopettes so if I add a base layer under my current salopettes that are too warm already?

I had a dig around my kit & found a "merino" long sleeve shirt from Lidl that I tried but didn't like it, it certainly didn't wick moisture away from my skin at all, just left me feeling wet & sticky

May be I just do what I did to the hood on my last ski jacket that was too warm & rip out the insulation from my salopettes? might try it on my old ones first,
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tangowaggon wrote:

Yes, this is exactly what I am saying, I want to move away from wearing very little under an insulated outer layer to wearing an easily washable layer under an uninsulated outer, I was just after pointers to where to get the outer layer I describe.

IMV. The reasons for going with Gore-tex Pro, is any brand using it has to meet a quality standard, it has a robust guarantee and very high breathability/waterproof specs.

Marino Wool isn't for everybody.

IMO. It is important that you buy into the concept of "Moisture Management", through the correct choice of layers....it is this area that I don't think you have fully accepted.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@tangowaggon,
I'm like you as I run a bit hot, and I wear Goretex shell trousers with nothing under them. They do have a thin nylon(?) liner but absolutely no insulation. I have never been cold and I have certainly done -20 in them.

I wear a hard shell jacket with usually a 200 weight merino long sleeve shirt under. This is good down to about -10. From -10 to -20 I would wear a heavier weight t-shirt and possibly a down gilet as well. Below -20 and the long sleeve down jacket comes out.

Goretex Pro is certainly robust - I've bounced down a few mountains without a scratch on the jacket, unlike me.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I had a dig around my kit & found a "merino" long sleeve shirt from Lidl that I tried but didn't like it, it certainly didn't wick moisture away from my skin at all, just left me feeling wet & sticky

Try a classic Helly Hansen LIFA (or equivalent from any other brand) https://www.hellyhansen.com/hh-lifa-stripe-crew-48800?color=292372&recs=pdpviewed

They will absolutely keep you dry, much better than Merino in that regard. Just make sure to wash it after every use or you'll find out why they're also known as 'smelly hellys'. Easy to do as they dry in about 20 minutes.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
tangowaggon wrote:
[

You don’t want a merino base layer. You want something that wicks moisture away against your skin. Merino is better for mid layers, then shell, Puffa on top for cold days. On hot days remove the mid layer.

This is what I use - it’s a fantastic piece of kit and has lasted more than 100 days and is still going strong. There are lots of similar cheaper options like the one linked above
https://www.trekkinn.com/outdoor-mountain/dynafit-speed-dryarn-long-sleeve-base-layer/136867363/p?utm_source=google_products&utm_medium=merchant&id_producte=7125405&country=sw&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3t_d6umq9gIVCc13Ch1LsgD7EAQYASABEgKavfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I use these when I want a light 3/4 length base layer, and am not looking for much heat: https://www.sportsdirect.com/sondico-core-three-quarter-base-layer-tights-mens-428122#colcode=42812203
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Old Fartbag, with suspenders?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
AL9000 wrote:

Do you need to ask?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Old Fartbag wrote:
AL9000 wrote:

Do you need to ask?

Very Happy
Name change to Old Tartbag?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BobinCH wrote:
tangowaggon wrote:
[

You don’t want a merino base layer. You want something that wicks moisture away against your skin. Merino is better for mid layers, then shell, Puffa on top for cold days. On hot days remove the mid layer.

This is what I use - it’s a fantastic piece of kit and has lasted more than 100 days and is still going strong. There are lots of similar cheaper options like the one linked above
https://www.trekkinn.com/outdoor-mountain/dynafit-speed-dryarn-long-sleeve-base-layer/136867363/p?utm_source=google_products&utm_medium=merchant&id_producte=7125405&country=sw&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3t_d6umq9gIVCc13Ch1LsgD7EAQYASABEgKavfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

+1 synthetic with anti odour properties is the way to go. I rate the Patagonia Capilene base layers really highly. I've a couple of them, they transport moisture really quickly, and don't stink (one base layer top tested to 12 days fin the interest of science)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

…in the interest of science.

One small smell for man. One giant stink for mankind Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@tangowaggon, I say it again, what do you mean by "an insulated outer layer"?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Layne wrote:

He means a coat.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Layne wrote:

It sounds like just a normal coat.
I remember being a kid and wearing my duffle coat outside at playtime (‘it’s March you need a coat on outside!’) when I had a short sleeved top on underneath having taken the jumper off and yes, the material lining inside gets all clammy and sticks to you.
ski holidays
If you run too warm then I find this works best (it's the sort of stuff I use for ski touring)

For the uppoer body -
Good T-shirt base layers preferably merino wool (one thin, one thick - wear one depending on temp)
Windproof long-sleeved top, wicking type.
Softshell vest / gillet
Thin waterproof in a back pack just in case you need it. (wet snow, wind etc)

For the legs
3/4 length merino wool base layers (one thin, one thick choose one depending on temp)
Ski touring pants with vent zips and sufficient protection against the skis
ski holidays
Some 'cheaper' options here on Sport Pursuit for shell clothing

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/1936329

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/2422472

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/2408279

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/2408289

Some shell trousers on the site as well to consider:

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/2200230

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/2008501

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/2393571
snow report
Layne wrote:

An Insulated Jacket (Primaloft, Thinsulate etc), as opposed to a Shell Jacket.
latest report
DB wrote:
If you run too warm then I find this works best (it's the sort of stuff I use for ski touring)

For the uppoer body -
Good T-shirt base layers preferably merino wool (one thin, one thick - wear one depending on temp)
Windproof long-sleeved top, wicking type.
Softshell vest / gillet
Thin waterproof in a back pack just in case you need it. (wet snow, wind etc)

For the legs
3/4 length merino wool base layers (one thin, one thick choose one depending on temp)
Ski touring pants with vent zips and sufficient protection against the skis

If you run warm you want synthetic base, not merino for its better moisture wicking.
Very good article here explaining the technical details by our own @Clarky99
https://www.luex.com/snow/article/base-layer-101.html
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:

Very good article here explaining the technical details by our own @Clarky99
https://www.luex.com/snow/article/base-layer-101.html

One of the best articles I have seen. Excellent.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 6-03-22 19:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:
Layne wrote:

OK. That wasn't clear to me. I wouldn't wear any jacket like that for skiing and I am not sure why the OP is.
snow conditions
If you want to stay cool under the sun maybe something like this
https://www.snowleader.co.uk/en/m-ferus-mechanical-jacket-off-white-BLAC00606.html
latest report
Layne wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
Layne wrote:

OK. That wasn't clear to me. I wouldn't wear any jacket like that for skiing and I am not sure why the OP is.

I've worn both. If the Jacket has insulation, I wear less layers. If you go when the weather heats up or you get very hot, shells are the way to go.

IME. The success of either solution relies on the effectiveness of the Layers underneath.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 4-03-22 12:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Toby Jug wrote:
https://www.snowleader.co.uk/en/m-ferus-mechanical-jacket-off-white-BLAC00606.html

I occasionally see people on the slopes dressed all in white. I say “see”, but when skiing they do become much harder to notice than their brightly coloured companions. Neutrals (greys/black) and some greens can also have this affect in certain terrain, but less so on an open piste. Bright colours aren't just for fashion.
snow report
Scarlet wrote:
Toby Jug wrote:

I occasionally see people on the slopes dressed all in white. I say “see”, but when skiing they do become much harder to notice than their brightly coloured companions. Neutrals (greys/black) and some greens can also have this affect in certain terrain, but less so on an open piste. Bright colours aren't just for fashion.

Can't beat bright yellow as I will demonstrate on Sunday... snowHead
snow report
From the above mentioned article

"many people have a habit of over dressing to ensure they stay warm – which often results in heavy sweating. Unfortunately, sweating results in heat loss, so as soon as you stop moving you start becoming chilled"

If you do end up with heavy sweating, you are clearly mismanaging your ski wear, as an example Our group was faced with a 20 min boot pack up a ridge, It was a sunny day so before starting, I took off my jacket & hooked it on my pack & proceeded with just a t shirt on my top, it was a little chilly to start with. Another guy who had been telling everyone about the hours he spent in the gym kept his jacket & helmet on.
At the top, I was feeling comfortable & glad of the cooling breeze, the other guy nearly collapsed.

The reality is that I don't actually get very sweaty at all because I'll take steps to cool down as soon as I feel a little warm.

Who gets chilled as soon as they stop moving??? When I do my 5k run, it's 30 min for the run and 30 min sat in the back garden at 5-10'c with nothing but a pair of shorts on trying to cool down!
snow report
Scarlet wrote:
Toby Jug wrote:

My current outfit from Nevica that's a bit too warm

snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:
Layne wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
Layne wrote:

I've worn both. If the Jacket has insulation, I wear less layers. If you go when the weather heats up or you get very hot, shells are the way to go.

IME. The success of either solution relies on the effectiveness of the Layers underneath.

I’d say generally you see more people wearing insulated ski jackets than shells. In the gondola right now and it’s only me with a shell on. The rest have the insulated type.
I think if you intend to use the jacket for other purposes like hiking/mountaineering then a 3L shell just the job for pretty much everything as you can either have just a base layer on underneath it or add as many layers as you like as long as the shell still fits.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tangowaggon wrote:
Scarlet wrote:
Toby Jug wrote:

My current outfit from Nevica that's a bit too warm

Pit zips are a bit of a faff when you have to cinch up quickly but do help to dump heat when you're working hard...
snow report
tangowaggon wrote:
From the above mentioned article

"many people have a habit of over dressing to ensure they stay warm – which often results in heavy sweating. Unfortunately, sweating results in heat loss, so as soon as you stop moving you start becoming chilled"

If you do end up with heavy sweating, you are clearly mismanaging your ski wear, as an example Our group was faced with a 20 min boot pack up a ridge, It was a sunny day so before starting, I took off my jacket & hooked it on my pack & proceeded with just a t shirt on my top, it was a little chilly to start with. Another guy who had been telling everyone about the hours he spent in the gym kept his jacket & helmet on.
At the top, I was feeling comfortable & glad of the cooling breeze, the other guy nearly collapsed.

The reality is that I don't actually get very sweaty at all because I'll take steps to cool down as soon as I feel a little warm.

Who gets chilled as soon as they stop moving??? When I do my 5k run, it's 30 min for the run and 30 min sat in the back garden at 5-10'c with nothing but a pair of shorts on trying to cool down!

You seem very fixed in your position.

The article goes into some detail explaining about moisture management - and the bit you quoted is to highlight the importance of managing your layering - and you have taken it out of context to bolster your position.

At the end of the day, it is up to you what you get - all we are trying to do, is give advice (backed up by articles and videos) to steer you in a direction which should make it easier to remain comfortable.
snow report
@tangowaggon, has the thread been helpful? Do you know what you have a good idea what you are going to buy now?
snow report
Don't give up on @tangowaggon just yet! snowHead successfully duped him into drinking the wide ski koolaid (well, maybe the just-a-bit-wider than pure piste ski koolaid) after years of campaigning, so there's hope yet Laughing.
More seriously, I reckon the majority of skiers wear insulated salopettes and jackets, and are perfectly happy. But knowing how hot Tango runs (from v chilly days at a SFaB where I had every layer I'd brought on, and he was flapping his way down the mountain with a half open jacket), I'm amazed he still does.
snow report
Some people are really hairy though so they maybe are warm because of that.
I bet Robin Williams didn’t feel cold very often.
latest report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

Some people's skiing is really hairy and that makes me sweat. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Layne wrote:
@tangowaggon, has the thread been helpful? Do you know what you have a good idea what you are going to buy now?

From my first post, I know exactly what I want to buy, the advice wanted was whether anyone had come across such an outfit & where to get it, I wasn't after advice what to wear, just where to get it.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing I don't fall into that category at all! The guys at school that took the pi55 when I was a late developer now all look 15 yrs older than me Very Happy

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 4-03-22 20:05; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Toby Jug wrote:

Pit zips are a bit of a faff when you have to cinch up quickly but do help to dump heat when you're working hard...

Pit & leg zips are much less of a faff than removing or adding a layer & get rid of warm sweaty air many times more quickly than breathable fabric.
snow report
tangowaggon wrote:
Layne wrote:

From my first post, I know exactly what I want to buy, the advice wanted was whether anyone had come across such an outfit & where to get it, I wasn't after advice what to wear, just where to get it.

Really? So all along all you wanted to hear was " a shop" ?
snow conditions
Roguevfr wrote:
tangowaggon wrote:
Layne wrote:

Really? So all along all you wanted to hear was " a shop" ?

A product in a shop…

Quote:
.. Has anybody come across anything that might fit this description?
latest report
AL9000 wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
AL9000 wrote:

Do you need to ask?

Very Happy
Name change to Old Tartbag?

Laughing
Maybe Old TartyFartbag