Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taking food to France

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

We used to drive down to the Alps where we were self catering and to make things easier we used to cook some food in advance, things like Bolognese sauce, Chilli con carne, etc. So it was just cook the rice or pasta and heat up the sauce.

However thanks to Brexsh*t we can’t take food into France officially.

Anyone tried this recently?

I would have put it in freezer bags but I am worried those might be too conspicuous, wondering if there are less obvious chilling options?

Any thoughts?

K
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wrap it up and hide it inside the bricks of cocaine.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I understand that it's meat and dairy products that you can't take.
The risk is that you get stopped and searched at entry.
Not that we were stopped this year but my approach would be .. .Freeze it (in a non see through/clear container) and Label it veggie/vegan chilli , bol, curry, whatever ... if you're feeling particularly cautious have 'the' recipe to hand to show the meat/dairy free nature.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
More specifically, isn't it uncooked meat/dairy? If it's already been cooked and is now 'used' I'm not sure if the normal customs rules apply..?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@clarky999, it is all meat and dairy - cooked or uncooked. You can take processed fruit & veg, but not fresh. Whilst on our two trips so far, the French authorities have not seemed at all intersections the risk is if they should look and find anything they may go over you with a fine tooth comb. Perhaps more likely now they won’t be looking for your test certification.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We have been through the tunnel three times since last July and just have a cool bag in the back of the car with the stuff out of the fridge and a couple of ready meals, some home cooked/sometimes bought and no one has taken any interest in what is in the car.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There a a lot of hearsay on this topic here are the rules that apply to all EU countries

https://ec.europa.eu/food/animals/animal-products-movements/personal-imports_en

You can take veg!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@chocksaway, I think they reference you are pointing at is only looking at meat and dairy. Fruit and veg is covered elsewhere.
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/carry/meat-dairy-animal/index_en.htm
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Legally: You can't take any "products of animal origin", so if you're vegan you're fine.
Practically: Unless you're driving down in a transit van or bigger full of food you're unlikely to get stopped and nobody on the border is really going to care. Worst case you'd have to dump the food and drive on without it.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
As chocksaway points out, there are "rules", BUT, like the Attestation, no one is at all interested.
We have done multiple trips in the last year thro the tunnel with all the forms and a cool box full of our usual food. No one has asked about food or the Attestation. No one has searched the car. The only queries have been about vaccination.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Mjit,
Quote:

Worst case you'd have to dump the food and drive on without

I'm going on this basis. In particular, I absolutely refuse to use disgusting butter substitutes in the picnic sarnies!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And think of how much better the sarnies will taste with the relish of knowing that you'd broken the rules!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another thread here where all aspects of the debate were covered https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=156451
It comes down to taking food is against the rules and you have to be prepared to take the consequences if you get caught.
The fact that the chances of getting caught are negligible is irrelevant if it's you that get's caught.

If it's convenience your after can't be quicker than a bag of 3 minute pasta and a jar of Barilla Bolognaise sauce.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spicy tuna tomato pasta sauce is OK, so long as you use olive oil instead of butter. The pasta might be illegal, however, if it contains egg Puzzled
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kosciosco wrote:
Hello all,

We used to drive down to the Alps where we were self catering and to make things easier we used to cook some food in advance, things like Bolognese sauce, Chilli con carne, etc. So it was just cook the rice or pasta and heat up the sauce.

Any thoughts?

K

Surely, all good remainiacs should support the local economy by buying stuff over there?
ski holidays
We emptied our fridge and most of the freezer into the motorhome in October and again in December. Motorhomes would be the obvious no 1 target and I've not read of any motorhomes being searched on the forums.
snow report
mitcva wrote:
kosciosco wrote:
Hello all,

Any thoughts?

K

Surely, all good remainiacs should support the local economy by buying stuff over there?

I am supporting the local bars, want to make sure time is spent frequenting them and not cooking Very Happy
ski holidays
I've only ever had a swab on the steering wheel. Not sure they'd look unless you were quite obviously eating a ham sandwich at the wheel. I'd not even worry about it.
latest report
Sounds like a soft cool bag shoved into the roof box is the way to go
latest report
Yet going flexiplus you get sandwiches that you take to the other side.
The only vehicles we saw being checked were Vans, went through with our double cab pick up and didnt give us a second look.
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
@Mjit,
Quote:

Worst case you'd have to dump the food and drive on without

I'm going on this basis. In particular, I absolutely refuse to use disgusting butter substitutes in the picnic sarnies!

Umm, you know they DO sell butter, quite openly in France...?
latest report
robs1 wrote:
Yet going flexiplus you get sandwiches that you take to the other side.

The Flexiplus terminal is after passport control so you're technically in France/they are either EU or legally exported to the EU sandwiches.

And that's assuming you class the free Flexiplus sandwiches as a form of foodstuff, let alone being of animal origin. Based on the ones we grabbed heading out the other weekend I'd class them as maybe a packing material or some type of tick cardboard.
snow conditions
kosciosco wrote:
mitcva wrote:
kosciosco wrote:
Hello all,

Any thoughts?

K

I am supporting the local bars, want to make sure time is spent frequenting them and not cooking Very Happy

Bars too serve food and you can spend even more time in them if someone else is doing the cooking, that's what I'll be doing Happy

All the local restaurants and bars must have had a terrible time for business in the last couple of years, I'm sure they would appreciate tourists buying some food and drink in there instead of transporting stuff from the UK.
latest report
Interesting stuff here.
It seems Snowheads are a remarkably honest bunch. Presumably no attempts to buy booze when under 18. Or see an X film when under 16. Or tried to sneak into the front section of the O2 Arena for an Elbow concert.
But those urging us to visit bars and restaurants are missing the point of Self Catering. Bars and restaurants are expensive. Going skiing is expensive enough without unnecessarily adding to the cost.
But we don't want to spend the whole time cooking in the resort. So as mitcva mentions, we do the cooking in UK, freeze the dishes, and then just have to defrost for some good home cooking after a hard day's skiing.
snow report
I would only want to take HP Sauce and Henderson’s relish!
snow conditions
I got through the Swiss/France checkpoint whilst flouting an open bag of crisps and a half drunk bottle of diet coke.

they didn't have the balls to pull me over.
snow conditions
Jonpim wrote:
Interesting stuff here.
It seems Snowheads are a remarkably honest bunch. Presumably no attempts to buy booze when under 18. Or see an X film when under 16. Or tried to sneak into the front section of the O2 Arena for an Elbow concert.
But those urging us to visit bars and restaurants are missing the point of Self Catering. Bars and restaurants are expensive. Going skiing is expensive enough without unnecessarily adding to the cost.
But we don't want to spend the whole time cooking in the resort. So as mitcva mentions, we do the cooking in UK, freeze the dishes, and then just have to defrost for some good home cooking after a hard day's skiing.
Love this post, all very true. Except, who the hell's Elbow? Laughing
latest report
Do you know how much a decent leg of lamb is in France !!!???

I'm nipping back to the UK for a few days and I'll be dropping into my butcher to buy various joints, plus of course bacon & sausages.

If I get busted so be it.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The problem with being "busted" is that you stand the chance of being added to various computer systems and then being "busted" every time that you, or your vehicle, crosses a border.....
ski holidays
We take all sorts with us and a cool box, we make no attempt to 'conceal' anything on the basis that we would plead ignorance if caught, but if its hidden it would be viewed as smuggling...
snow report
On return to the UK you make your Customs declaration when entering either the Green or Red Channel. You cannot plead ignorance once you have made your declaration and you are smuggling whether you have concealed the goods or not...

The fact that simple cases rarely go to court, and are dealt with administratively, makes thing easier for UK PLC. If someone is insistent that they are not smuggling then they can always opt to go to court to see whether the Magistrate or Judge agrees with them.

Interesting how many people seem to be willing to deliberately break the law of another country.
snow conditions
@Hurdy, there are no green or red channels at the ferry ports. Sometimes you get asked a few questions - “where are you going and why?” Clearly one should answer honestly. Occasionally someone will be pulled aside for a thorough or not so thorough check.
snow report
We've emptied the fridge of veg, plus any ham and dairy produce on each of our trips so far via the tunnel, plus the raw dog food favoured by our pampered pooch-all in an obvious cool bag and have come to the conclusion that they really aren't that interested.
snow report
@Hurdy, have you actually travelled from the UK to France in the last 18 months?
ski holidays
@Hurdy,

Unfortunately when driving back on Eurotunnel last week, I was offered no opportunity by the UK authorities to declare my illegal Bolognese sauce. Will I need to go to court?
snow report
Yes I have travelled backwards and forwards regularly thank you and there are always Border Force staff to speak to in Dover and Coquelles.

You can bring bolognaise from France to the UK so you are fine HilbertSpace (until July anyway when you can't).
ski holidays
Mosha Marc wrote:
I got through the Swiss/France checkpoint whilst flouting an open bag of crisps and a half drunk bottle of diet coke.

Beef flavour, I assume?
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
Do you know how much a decent leg of lamb is in France !!!???

I'm nipping back to the UK for a few days and I'll be dropping into my butcher to buy various joints, plus of course bacon & sausages.

If I get busted so be it.

The best legs of lamb in France are often the frozen New Zealand ones!
snow report
NickYoung wrote:
Mosha Marc wrote:

Beef flavour, I assume?

Les Roast Beef!
ski holidays
@JamesHJ, very true but none available at the moment from Aldi & Lidl as I check on a weekly basis, and when they do have I buy two!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy