Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flying to Italy(Milan) and driving to Switzerland- anyone done this and what’s covid checks like?

Poster: A snowHead
I read that if transiting through , then you follow the covid guidelines of the country you’re travelling to but think Italy want pcr tests for all kids over 6 whereas not sure switzerland do so wondering has anyone done this and what was the story with testing kids?
Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Also last time in Switzerland I was charged 180 francs (around 150Sterling) for the pcr test before u return home. Is this the regular cost over there or was the place I went to just taking the wee wee?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Rom77, Italy requires EITHER a PCR within 48 hours of arrival or a LFD within 24 hours of arrival. Children under 6 are exempt.

If you are fully vaccinated you do not need to take any test before returning to the UK. You do need to book and pay for a test on or before Day 2 after arrival, and you need to complete a PLF (Passenger Locator Form) 48 hours before departure back to the UK (this requires details of the test you have booked). After 11 Feb you do not need to do any test either before or after arrival on return to UK, but you will still need to fill out a PLF.

This is easy information to find, even the most basic Google search brings it up.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-to-england-from-another-country-during-coronavirus-covid-19
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Rom77, Swiss requirements very clearly stated on

aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/empfehlungen-fuer-reisende/quarantaene-einreisende.html

180chf for a single PCR is higher than the charges we saw in the Valais. LFT tests were around 30chf.

When driving from Milan to Switzerland you need to try to get winter tyres on the car. Winter tyres are not a legal requirement in CH (unlike Austria and Germany) but if you are without winter tyres and involved in a collision and there is any snow on the road then the police look very unfavourably on the driver, even if the collision was not your fault. While the forecast looks set fair, even late in the year I have been hit by sudden snow showers going up through Aosta and the Gnd St Bernard Tunnel, people on summer tyres were not safe - all over the road.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@valais2, @Rom77, Just to be clear, if you are fully vaccinated you do not need any sort of test for Switzerland. And no requirement to test before return to UK. So there will be no need to do any sort of test when you are away. Or am I wrong about that?!!

You will need a LFD test within 24 hours of arrival for Italy (or PCR within 48 hours). We have used Randox, £14.50 per LFD test that you do yourself and upload to an app to generate the required certificate. And if arriving back in the UK before 11 Feb you will need to book and pay for a day 2 test (taken in the UK) before you travel back.

Kids 6 an over need the tes to enter Italy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@zikomo, ...yes Z that's all exactly right, from 11 feb, as I read the rules
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Rom77, Italian transit exemptions only seem to apply if you stay in the transit area of the airport, ie. you are flying straight out on a connecting flight.

I'm assuming also that technically all the over 6s will need another 24hr LFD test to re-enter Italy at the end of the holiday when you return to Milan, as well as a PLF for all adults with kids added to one of the parents'. Cross-border commuting exemptions don't apply if the stay is longer than 48hrs and the individuals usual place of residence is more than 60km away from the border crossing.

I was toying with swapping the Italian accommodation I booked for HT to drive up to Austria, but all the complications of crossing more borders put me off! Confused

The only possibility of something different to what's been said is that I notice your location is in Ireland and if you all have RoI (EU) passports, a different set of entry requirements was put in place for Italy from Feb 1st. No testing required, but still need the PLFs, I believe! You are on List C compared to UK citizens on List D. Lucky you're still subscribed to the 'free movement' club!! Cool Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Rom77, I think you are exempt, as transiting.

Check for your self here -- https://infocovid.viaggiaresicuri.it/returningtoitaly.html

Once you get to the 'result' scroll down for 'exemptions'
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would do a Randox LFD test on the last day before travelling home. That covers the requirement to test before entering Italy if you have been in the UK during the previous 14 days.

BUT - there almost no chance that this will be checked. There is no testing requirement for fully vaccinated Swiss entering Italy so very unlikely they will check at the border.

@luigi, Sorry but you are not quite right on this, there is an exemption for transiting Italy specifically by private means of transport. Either way if you haqve been in the UK in last 14 days the regulation for fully vaccinated is a LFD 24 hours before arrival in Italy.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We have mostly been commenting from UK point of view, might all be different as the OP could be on a EU passport with an Ireland location on his profile.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
zikomo wrote:
@luigi, Sorry but you are not quite right on this, there is an exemption for transiting Italy specifically by private means of transport. Either way if you haqve been in the UK in last 14 days the regulation for fully vaccinated is a LFD 24 hours before arrival in Italy.

Not sure that applies as he will be presumably arriving by commercial means at Milan. I took the transit exemption to mean arriving and leaving by private means ie. driving across the country to reach another.

https://www.salute.gov.it/portale/nuovocoronavirus/dettaglioContenutiNuovoCoronavirus.jsp?lingua=english&id=5412&area=nuovoCoronavirus&menu=vuoto&tab=4

I could be wrong, but then the issue might be convincing the airline carrying you there of any exemptions that may apply.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 8-02-22 11:48; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@luigi, True. If he has an EU passport and is fully vaccinated he will not need any tests at all!

And it is also true that this information is easy to find with the quickest of google searches. And he has not been back, so we might all be wasting our time trying to be helpful!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No I still have a Uk passport unfortunately .
Applied for the Irish passport but has been delayed.
Also I’m not vaccinated but I have recovered from covid and have a current valid pass due to that !
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
By the way, thanks for all the help so far lads… really appreciate it Eh oh!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Rom77, ….and don’t forget to order the winter pack on the car….
ski holidays
Rom77 wrote:
No I still have a Uk passport unfortunately .
Applied for the Irish passport but has been delayed.
Also I’m not vaccinated but I have recovered from covid and have a current valid pass due to that !

You really do need to check it all out carefully then. All members of your party need to comply too.

If the transit exemptions do apply to your situation, the issue may be convincing the airline carrying you that is the case.
ski holidays
When are you going. Swiss government are meeting on 16 feb to discuss situation, see below

Consultation: Two options for lifting remaining measures
The consultation with the cantons, social partners, parliamentary committees and associations concerned on the lifting of further measures will last until 9 February. The Federal Council has tabled two options for discussion, depending on when the current wave of infections passes its peak. The Federal Council will take a decision at its meeting on 16 February.

Option 1: Lifting all measures in a single step
The COVID-19 Special Situation Ordinance could be repealed in a single step on 17 February.

A complete opening of this kind would bring epidemiological risks, as the virus could once again circulate more rapidly. This approach will only be appropriate if the wave of infections has already peaked. Immunisation rates among the population must be sufficiently high and infection rates and hospital admissions must be falling.

It would mean that all protective measures would be lifted:

- the certificate requirement for restaurants, events and leisure and cultural venues,
- the mask requirement on public transport, in shops and all other public indoor settings,
- restrictions on private gatherings,
- the permit requirement for large-scale events.

The protection plan for large-scale events would nevertheless remain in place as the renewed introduction of restrictions cannot be excluded. The isolation requirement for persons who have tested positive for COVID-19 would also remain. Furthermore, additional measures would have to be taken to protect people at high risk. The Federal Council would also consult the cantons on whether the mask requirement should remain on public transport, in shops and healthcare institutions.

Option 2: Lifting the measures in two steps
If the epidemiological situation on 16 February is still too uncertain, the Federal Council will proceed gradually. That way the situation can be reassessed after each step.

In a first step from 17 February, the Federal Council is proposing the following:

- Lifting the certificate requirement for restaurants, events, leisure and cultural venues. A seating requirement in restaurants would remain.
- Lifting restrictions on private gatherings,
- Lifting the permit requirement for large-scale outdoor events. The cantons could still introduce a permit requirement, such as for carnival celebrations.
- A ‘2G' rule in settings where ‘2G+' rule currently applies (discos, indoor pools, intensive sporting activities or brass bands).

The remaining protective measures would then be lifted in a second step: the mask requirement, ‘2G' rule and the permit requirement for large-scale indoor events. At that point, the COVID-19 Special Situation Ordinance would also be repealed.

Consultation on further steps
The Federal Council will also submit further proposals for consultation in addition to those on the lifting of measures.

Health measures at the border should no longer apply on entering the country. This means that the requirement for people who are not vaccinated or who have not recovered from COVID-19 to take tests would end, as would the requirement to collect the contact data of
travellers entering Switzerland.

In addition, the ‘Swiss' COVID certificates, issued to tourists, for example, or after antibody or antigen rapid tests, would no longer be required. However, certificates recognised by the EU will continue to be issued. These are still required for international travel as long as other countries still have entry restrictions in place. It is also possible that such certificates will still be required in certain countries to visit restaurants or museums.

The Federal Council will also submit proposals on new rules regarding the coverage of costs for therapeutic products in out-patient treatment of COVID-19.

Address for enquiries

Federal Office of Public Health FOPH
www.bag.admin.ch
media@bag.admin.ch
COVID-19 Infoline +41 58 463 00 00
COVID-19 Vaccination Infoline +41 58 377 88 92

Documents
Links
Suppression de la quarantaine-contact et de l’obligation de travailler à domicile (French) (PDF, 401 kB)
Ordonnance COVID-19 certificats (French) (PDF, 310 kB)
Consultation des cantons (French)

I flew into Bergamo on 10th Dec. Hired a car for which I was charged €45 for taking the car out of the country.
Attempted to cross the Simplon in a blizzard and failing despite be told that the car had winter tyres, had to turn around and use the tunnel to Brig. At no time after passport control at the airport was I asked for any documents at borders. There wasn’t any border control at the tunnel but there was on the Italian side of the Simplon which was after the tunnel station.

As Luigi says the hardest part would be being allowed to board the plane.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy