Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Would I notice much difference with bought vs rented intermediate skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I've been on 7-8 skiing holidays so far (mainly once per year, in the French alps). I've had lessons most holidays, I'm comfortable on reds and will take on easy blacks, and am (slowly!) learning to carve. I bought my own boots a couple of years ago, and they were a great investment - the level of comfort & fit compared to hire boots was amazing. I'm now at the point of wondering whether it's also worth buying my own skis. I know it probably doesn't make economic sense unless I'm doing more than one holiday per year, but if I throw the economic argument away, I'm interested in whether I'd actually notice the difference in use.

For reference, my last holiday the 'intermediate' skis the hire shop gave me were Elan Elements, which retail ~£200. A crude google for 'best intermediate skis 2022' throws up things like the the Blizzard Rustler 9 (£350-400), Nordica Enforcer 94 (~£400), or the Salomon Stance 96 (£400-450). I'm not saying I'd necessarily buy one of those, but in general terms, how much difference do you think I'd see going from a pair of rentals that cost ~£200 to buy vs bought ones costing £350-£500?

And I guess the perennial question is whether I should be looking at intermediate skis now, or going for more advanced ones with the aim of working up to them. Again, I don't have a solid understanding of how much difference there is between a 'intermediate' and 'advanced' ski, and whether someone who is looking to progress from red runs to black over the next few holidays is better going with an intermediate or an advanced ski.

Thanks for any insight!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I remember thinking I should perhaps splash out on a better quality flute - till my flute teacher took my instrument to check the high notes were OK. She made it sound like Pan was playing it, down in the reeds by the river. So I spent the money on more lessons, instead.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh I have no illusions that buying skis will magically make me an awesome skier, but I'm intrigued to know whether it's a difference I'd notice. Several friends have said they noticed a difference when they bought, but it's hard to know whether that's just a placebo effect, hence the question!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
... going for more advanced ones with the aim of working up to them
I would not recommend that approach. I think people learn fastest on gear which they find easy to use, which flatters their ability at that particular time, in those conditions. Which is one reason renting can be handy, if you're progressing quickly.

Personally when I switched from rentals to my own gear, it was a complete revelation, but then that's why I did it.
Demo some new gear. If you don't want to give it back, then you have your answer.

Alternatively... take a lesson and ask the instructor for gear selection help.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The big plus re. owning imv is the familiarity of getting back on your own skis. Everyone is a touch rusty after an extended period of being off of the snow. With your own kit, you know that it's just a few runs before you're back in the swing. Whereas with hired kit, the question lingers 'is it me, or are these skis not working for me?'

I've known mates on hired kit battle with the wrong skis for a couple of days before swapping them in for others. Ski time is too precious for me, to mess about with that possibility.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My thoughts would be:

Hiring:

- It is a lottery, depending on what the shop has
- You have no control over the servicing eg. Edge Angles
- You can choose skis, depending on conditions
- You can exchange them if you don't like them and usually get a mid week edge/wax

Owning:

- You have consistency ie. if you pick the right skis, you have no issues regarding getting used to them/whether you will like them
- You need to pick wisely, preferably after demos - so looking at a ski that suits your weight/ability/aggression/style
- You need to be honest about where you actually ski - so if you are 90% of the time On Piste, get a Piste ski which makes improving your carving easier
- If going All Mountain - go with the width that matches how much Off Piste you actually do
- Damage and theft are a bigger issue
- You certainly want to build headroom into your skis, so they will "grow" with you as you improve
- If flying, you are lugging them about airports
- You avoid the "Hiring Scramble"

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 6-02-22 16:35; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've never felt very confident about "demo-ing" skis. When I've tried a few, I'd be hard pressed to give any very clear analysis of which I liked, and why. Like listening to a few recordings of a Brandenburg Concerto. The one I like is the one I'm used to - and perhaps that's the key advantage of having your own skis. They may not really be particularly good, and an expert skier would find all sorts of fault with them. But they are the devil you know. When I bought an electric bike I did demo a few - then picked the one I liked the look of.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
I've never felt very confident about "demo-ing" skis. When I've tried a few, I'd be hard pressed to give any very clear analysis of which I liked, and why. Like listening to a few recordings of a Brandenburg Concerto. The one I like is the one I'm used to - and perhaps that's the key advantage of having your own skis. They may not really be particularly good, and an expert skier would find all sorts of fault with them. But they are the devil you know. When I bought an electric bike I did demo a few - then picked the one I liked the look of.

I think this is one of my worries about demo'ing. At my level, will I really be able to pick a ski that is completely right for me in 15 minutes on a slope. With boots, it was easy - they are either comfortable or they aren't. But I don't have any understanding of how different different skis are, and whether I could tell the difference.

Consistency between holidays is still a valuable thing to have, so it wouldn't put me off buying, but it might alter whether I'm willing to buy online, or if I have to test them first.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:

Demoing can rule out skis that you hate and help pin down length and type/width. You may even find some that you instantly love.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Old Fartbag wrote:

Demoing can rule out skis that you hate and help pin down length and type/width. You may even find some that you instantly love.

True, I can see that.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The maths doesn’t stack up if you fly, together with servicing in the UK the costs are probably in excess of the higher quality ski hire charges.

My justification is that I know my owned skis and these match up with what I like to do with them.

My decision was based on what I didn’t like about various skis I had hired.

The main driver to buying them was because I was a little tired of dealing with French ski hire shops who seemed to want to palm me off with all sorts of tat regardless of the level of ski that I had booked, if I asked for a better, more specific ski I was greeted with a Gallic shrug.

I should add that there are some great ski hire shops out there, but you need to know where they are, and the location might not be ideal for you accommodation.

I did note on Ski Sunday that Chemmy promoted the green credentials of hiring skis in resorts, but imo this depends upon the quality of skis and service available from the ski hire shops.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We have went back to hire skis
Ours were getting past their best
Lugging skis through airports and the odd occasions when they have been left off the flight I decided are not worth it.
Last three trips I have been on hire ones and been very happy.
You need to be honest with the hire shops re your ability and what you want to ski.
I have enjoyed having my own skis but cant be bothered with the faf now.
If you are know what you want along with the bindings you want go for it.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
richstanton wrote:

For reference, my last holiday the 'intermediate' skis the hire shop gave me were Elan Elements, which retail ~£200. A crude google for 'best intermediate skis 2022' throws up things like the the Blizzard Rustler 9 (£350-400), Nordica Enforcer 94 (~£400), or the Salomon Stance 96 (£400-450).

I think you are looking at this the wrong way - the differences in these skis and what you hired is that they are 90-100mm all mountain skis vs the 72mm piste skis you hired. And tbh I wouldn't describe any of them as intermediate skis either, they're just as suitable for experts as they are intermediates.

richstanton wrote:

I'm not saying I'd necessarily buy one of those, but in general terms, how much difference do you think I'd see going from a pair of rentals that cost ~£200 to buy vs bought ones costing £350-£500?

I think here you could say you would notice more difference between the individual skis in each (or both) category than between the two categories as wholes. If that makes sense?!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999 wrote:

I think here you could say you would notice more difference between the individual skis in each (or both) category than between the two categories as wholes. If that makes sense?!

OK, I hadn't clocked that I was talking about completely different width skis. But are you saying that if I bought myself an intermediate piste ski, I would notice a big difference to the hire piste skis?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
richstanton wrote:

But are you saying that if I bought myself an intermediate piste ski, I would notice a big difference to the hire piste skis?

IMO. That is like asking, "How long is a piece of string?"

The answer is, "It depends". A suitable ski, is a suitable ski - whether you hire it, or whether you buy it.

Personally, I would look at the advantages/disadvantages of hiring vs owning. Once you have made a decision to buy, then one can dig into what might suit based on your stats, preferences and ability.

Before buying, you also need to have an understanding - and preferably experience of - Piste Skis vs All Mountain skis. The problem is - the characteristics that make a good Piste Ski, are not what you want in a good Freeride ski. An All Mountain Ski is basically a Compromise Ski, that marries certain elements of a Piste ski and a Freeride ski, to give a ski that can handle both situations, while not being as good as either in their dedicated use.

You also need to have a handle on your own preferences eg. % Off Piste; Turn Preference; Playful vs Damp.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 6-02-22 21:01; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Hmm. OK, I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that I'd find value in having consistency from holiday to holiday, and not having to worry about whether the hire shop is going to have anything decent or not. But you've convinced me that I really going to need to go somewhere where I can chat things over with someone who knows their stuff, and will let me try various options out. If I wanted to do that in the UK (I'm in South Wales), I guess the only option would be to go to one of the snow domes that has a shop attached - I can see Milton Keynes has an Ellis Brigham. Time to send some emails & see what they offer in terms of tryouts!
latest report
@richstanton, are you skiing again this season?
If not, consider one of Octobertests snowHead
snow conditions
Forget the financial side of the argument, it’s less than a round of drinks of a difference. Same for the logistics, if you’re taking a case then your waiting anyway.
Perhaps think about your preferred transfer options, if you like hire car then that’s worth thinking about, if you use companies, then they have your back.

If you want them & you think it’ll help you stepping onto the same skis every trip (regardless if it does or not) then go for it
snow report
richstanton wrote:
Hmm. OK, I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that I'd find value in having consistency from holiday to holiday, and not having to worry about whether the hire shop is going to have anything decent or not. But you've convinced me that I really going to need to go somewhere where I can chat things over with someone who knows their stuff, and will let me try various options out. If I wanted to do that in the UK (I'm in South Wales), I guess the only option would be to go to one of the snow domes that has a shop attached - I can see Milton Keynes has an Ellis Brigham. Time to send some emails & see what they offer in terms of tryouts!

That is probably the biggest reason why people buy, as financially it doesn't usually make sense on a 1 week/yr holiday.

We can steer you in the right direction on here, but will need to know:

- Weight/Height/Terrain usage/Ability/Aggression/Turn Preference/Ski Character preference/Length preference/Models you've enjoyed in the past

One option, is go to a hire shop in the resort, with a good range and try out different skis over the week. They should waive the rental charge if you buy. It's hard to get the measure of a ski in a Fridge.

Personally, I usually buy, doing copious amounts of research, reading reviews, using this forum as a resource and then get it at a substantial discount from the likes of Glisshop. This has always worked "for me".

At least, talking it over on here, you should get a better understanding of what is out there, what to look for and what might be suitable for you. The trouble is, if you don't know your stuff, it's not always easy to tell if the person in the shop actually knows their stuff. It is actually quite easy to sound plausible, if the person you are selling a ski to, is unfamiliar with buying skis.
ski holidays
@richstanton,
@Tazz2bme, +1
@Jonny996, +1

Buying your first skis is not a logical decision, it's an emotional one, driven by the same thoughts that drive buying boots, I want to bring some consistency to the kit because I can't tell whether it's the kit or me causing me problems. Making the kit consistent allows you to concentrate on your skills.

In many ways it won't make much difference which skis are your first as long as you pitch your choice in the skill level range that the manufacturers define. All the manufacturers produce good skis in the upper beginner/ lower intermediate range. Plus they won't be the last skis that you buy. As you get better you will gain the knowledge to better assess your next choice based on ability, terrain, etc.

Buy your first set of skis, really get to know them, what they do well, what ok. and what badly.

The Elans in their advertising blurb are described as All-mountain which at 76mm waist they are not. If you liked them and they do what you want then buy them or similar.
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:

- Weight/Height/Terrain usage/Ability/Aggression/Turn Preference/Ski Character preference/Length preference/Models you've enjoyed in the past

One option, is go to a hire shop in the resort, with a good range and try out a range of skis over the week. They should waive the rental charge if you buy. It's hard to get the measure of a ski in a Fridge.

The trouble is, if you don't know your stuff, it's not always easy to tell if the person in the shop actually knows their stuff. It is actually quite easy to sound plausible, if the person you are selling a ski to, is unfamiliar with buying skis.

Also a valid concern! At the moment, I'm 85Kg, 180cm tall. I've never really gone off-piste, and although off-piste looks like fun, I think I'm unlikely to become a massive off-piste skier in the next year or two. Currently I'm fine with reds, and easy blacks. My immediate goals are to learn to carve, and to get more competent on steeper/tougher blacks. I enjoy the feeling of speed, but only if I'm controlled with it - I'm not someone who'd push for high speed unless I felt safe with it.

It's hard to say what I've enjoyed in the past - every year is different, and I've just taken what the shop gave me without any questions!

Does that help?
snow report
richstanton wrote:

Also a valid concern! At the moment, I'm 85Kg, 180cm tall. I've never really gone off-piste, and although off-piste looks like fun, I think I'm unlikely to become a massive off-piste skier in the next year or two. Currently I'm fine with reds, and easy blacks. My immediate goals are to learn to carve, and to get more competent on steeper/tougher blacks. I enjoy the feeling of speed, but only if I'm controlled with it - I'm not someone who'd push for high speed unless I felt safe with it.

It's hard to say what I've enjoyed in the past - every year is different, and I've just taken what the shop gave me without any questions!

Does that help?

Yes, I think it does.

IMO.

You should be looking for a Piste Ski. Given your weight and liking for controlled speed , I think you need a ski that while forgiving, is reasonably substantial. I would be looking for something with a turn radius of 14m to 16m, to give versatility over turn shape. I would also be looking for something that is reasonably forgiving, but with headroom and in a length of between 170 and 176.

I'll give some thought to some recommendations - and you will almost certainly get some ideas from other snowHead
snow report
Quote:

That was pretty much me until one year I had a very bad year with a very bad crash which I blamed (rightly or wrongly) on the skis. Next year I had a brilliant year, so much so that I took a photo of them so I could show the hire shop the following year to make sure I had them or similar the following year. The following summer Sail and Ski had and end of season clearance sale and I bought the same model for the equivalent of 2 weeks hire. As my skiing has changed and improved I have bought and sold. Never regretted buying that first pair
snow conditions
I would say short answer is no, as you say you are just starting to learn to carve.
Ski performance only really applies to when you are carving it I would have thought.
They all skid the same and when running flat, the stiffness is the main difference so rental or bought wouldn't matter.
When you have learned to carve, then you will notice huge differences so maybe wait until then.
ski holidays
richstanton wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

But are you saying that if I bought myself an intermediate piste ski, I would notice a big difference to the hire piste skis?

No, I am (in-elegantly haha, sorry, I'm tired!) trying to say that there is so much variation between any individual skis that you would likely notice more difference between different pairs within the same category (bought intermediate piste ski vs hired intermediate piste ski) than any category-wide difference, or that there is no 'category-wide difference'.

Perhaps more succinctly (or maybe not): it doesn't matter whether you buy or rent. Every model of ski will have it's own individual traits/character and feel different to every other regardless of bought/rented/ability level/ski type. If you buy a pair you'll notice a difference to the last pair you rented; but if you rent a different pair you will also notice a difference. Which difference is the greatest is not down to bought/rented but to the design.

Jonny996 wrote:

If you want them & you think it’ll help you stepping onto the same skis every trip (regardless if it does or not) then go for it

But this too. Buying skis feels good and makes you happy, and the whole point of skiing is to feel happy.
snow conditions
One major issue with finding the 'right' ski at your current level, is that you may not (yet) have enough experience to distinguish between the impact of snow conditions and the impact of different skis. If you try different skis on different days (or weeks), it's likely that the snow conditions will have a larger impact of your skiing than the skis. If you've stable weather (most likely not snowing, though continual dumps each day can also work), then it'd be viable to try different skis each day to compare them, but if the snow or temperature change noticeably from day to day, that will outweigh the difference in skis.

That said, just because it'll be hard to identify the 'right' ski, doesn't mea you won't benefit from the consistency of staying with one set of skis. However, if you're willing to forgo the economic argument, I'd say your money would be better spent on more (or individual) lessons, or on more ski trips
snow report
@viv, yes I see it the same way @richstanton, doesn't know enough. Certainly not to be unkind or critical but that we've all been in the same place and perfectly normal to go through this step in discovering where you go from here.

A good point about trying different ski is how to judge them, especially if conditions vary. I know now what I want, also able to reasonably specify to someone what would be a good ski to try. Not to be boastful, just from skiing with kids, families, and groups I've organised, you get to see each of them at different levels and through these formative years of building skills at differential pace one to another. Also it's very easy to see a compelling urgency to "lead" someone into more tuition whereas others are very able to progress with significantly less and constant input.

Value, certainly, in using a ski that you can build confidence in. Along with finding your own ability to stretch the ski towards it's performance edges, the process will allow you to see with more focus what you really want a ski to do. Then is the logical buy point as you'll bring your own expanded view to match with a new ski.

That more makes the question about what is suitable to aim for right now, either hire or possibly buy doesn't influence that too much. Well not compared to getting something genuinely useful which allows your ski ability to build. Then you'll start to more fully define the atributes you do and don't want.
latest report
These are the sort of skis you might consider:

Rossignol React 6 Compact: https://www.rossignol.com/uk/rajlk02-000.html

Dynastar Speed 363: https://www.glisshop.co.uk/ski-set-bindings/dynastar/alpine-ski-set-speed-363-xpress-bindings28068993

or possibly Speed 563: https://www.glisshop.co.uk/ski-set-bindings/dynastar/alpine-ski-set-speed-563-konect-bindings31318534

Head V Shape V4 XL: https://www.head.com/en_GB/v-shape-v4-xl-15.html - If you want to try something a bit wider, but still has a pronounced carving shape
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@richstanton, I love having my own skis. Whilst they are technically not great, they are fun, and I know how they ski.
I also really enjoy servicing them as part of the build up to getting away. Plus (whilst I’m definitely not the best at this), they are better edged and waxed than any rental skis I’ve had. And, I can only blame myself if they’re not right…
Agreed, if conditions are not right for them, I’m likely to struggle, but this would happen with rental skis too unless you change them every day.
For me the problem with having my own skis is that it made me want more; better skis, skis for different conditions, n+1 (see the rules)
I mentioned oktobertest previously, but what about signing up for the EoSB where you can test skis in resort?
snow report
The great thing about buying your own skis is that you can quickly start to work out what you need in your next pair. You can also spend time working out what kind of bag you are going to put them in - numerous threads on SH’s with loads of advice. Then you can spend time working out what kit you are going to need to service and tune them - similar advice on SHs. You might need something to transport them on your car as well, so again lots of SHs advice available. Then once you have bought all this kit you have got the justification for buying your next pair in order to get full value. Then the cycle continues and you are well on your way to meeting the N+1 rule on the number of pairs of skis one should own. Probably a good idea to start making space in the garage now.
snow conditions
I hire personally as a 1-2 week/yr adventurer. Cost, convenience, flexability... I'd need two pairs (at least) if I were to buy to suit whatever I'm up to on a given day, so with the luggage fees its cheaper to hire for me. Most resorts have good options in terms of what is available, might just have to order in advance sometimes, and they often let you switch during the week.
ski holidays
I like the idea that this is the first step to learning what I like in a pair of Skis - i.e. intentionally buying skis with particular characteristics, and seeing how they perform year on year.

Old Fartbag wrote:
These are the sort of skis you might consider:

Rossignol React 6 Compact: https://www.rossignol.com/uk/rajlk02-000.html

Dynastar Speed 363: https://www.glisshop.co.uk/ski-set-bindings/dynastar/alpine-ski-set-speed-363-xpress-bindings28068993

or possibly Speed 563: https://www.glisshop.co.uk/ski-set-bindings/dynastar/alpine-ski-set-speed-563-konect-bindings31318534

Head V Shape V4 XL: https://www.head.com/en_GB/v-shape-v4-xl-15.html - If you want to try something a bit wider, but still has a pronounced carving shape

Would you mind (briefly!) explaining why you've suggested these based on my description of where I am, so I can understand for myself what to look for?
latest report
@richstanton, Ok, I'll do my best.

I chose brands that I have enjoyed in the past or own now. I was looking for Intermediate Skis, that had some headroom, were reasonably substantial and would be forgiving and fun.

Rossignol React 6 Compact

A ski that has reviewed well and replaced the Pursuit range, which were also well received. 14m Radius in a 170 looks about right. Here is ProSkiLab's assessment (it takes a while to load): https://www.proskilab.co.uk/h/men-s-intermediate/ski-reviews-2020-rossignol-react-r6-compact/685

Dynastar Speed 563

These replaced the Speed Zone range - which were exceedingly good. They should have stability and comfort, while not being too demanding. Will certainly grow with you. They have a 14m Radius in a 170. There is also a Speed 363, but at your weight and pushing for controlled speed, the 563 are probably better, especially as they will give more headroom. I think the only difference between the 363 (Lower Intermediate) and 563 (Upper Intermediate) is the binding - where the binding on the latter (Konect system) suits heavier skiers and gives better performance; whereas the Xpress system is more focussed on ease of use.

https://skikitinfo.com/whats-new/2122/dynastar-s-line-skis/

Head V Shape V4 XL

I threw this into the mix, as it's badged as an All Mountain Ski - but due to its pronounced shape would work very well On Piste, while giving a bit of extra width for going off the side. Despite being 84 under foot, it has a 14.5m radius @ 170

Here is ProSkiLab's review: https://www.proskilab.co.uk/h/men-s-intermediate/ski-reviews-2020-head-v-shape-4-xl/679

Once you have some models to look at, do some internet research for reviews and see if the characteristics appeal.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 7-02-22 21:18; edited 8 times in total
latest report
Quote:
Buying skis feels good and makes you happy, and the whole point of skiing is to feel happy.
Buying stuff, even ski gear, isn't "skiing".

richstanton wrote:
I like the idea that this is the first step to learning what I like in a pair of Skis - i.e. intentionally buying skis with particular characteristics, and seeing how they perform year on year.
That would be much easier to do by renting different skis which you choose in order to work out which you like best.
Buying each pair makes that more expensive and slower.

Oh dear, I don't want to sound negative. It's all good.
snow conditions
Quote:

The great thing about buying your own skis is that you can quickly start to work out what you need in your next pair. You can also spend time working out what kind of bag you are going to put them in - numerous threads on SH’s with loads of advice. Then you can spend time working out what kit you are going to need to service and tune them - similar advice on SHs. You might need something to transport them on your car as well, so again lots of SHs advice available. Then once you have bought all this kit you have got the justification for buying your next pair in order to get full value. Then the cycle continues and you are well on your way to meeting the N+1 rule on the number of pairs of skis one should own. Probably a good idea to start making space in the garage now.

Laughing @Ski lots
ski holidays
philwig wrote:
Quote:
Buying skis feels good and makes you happy, and the whole point of skiing is to feel happy.
Buying stuff, even ski gear, isn't "skiing".

No sht. Yet there's much more to skiing than just the literal act of sliding on snow, and, to borrow from Blur, the peripheral activities often also "give a sense of enormous wellbeing".

Waxing bases, morning coffee on the freezing balcony while the sun rises over the mountains, first gulp of an apres ski beer, smell of the boot room (weird but true), sauna/wellness with ski-tired legs etc being other notable examples Smile
snow conditions
If you asked me 15-20 years ago I'd have definitely said get in there and buy something. Read every equipment article you can, test some pairs if possible and wade in. Now with too many pairs to mention on my rack and and a huge amount of time each year spent prepping and deciding what to take on each of my 4 weeks, I might be tempted to say keep hiring.

There are 2 things here. Servicing properly takes time, lots of it, or lots of money to get someone else to do it. Also save yourself all the carriage and handling involved.

If you read every article and learn what all the skis are good at (the information is out there), you can pretty much go into the hire shops and pick something that will work there and then for the conditions - knowledge is king. You can usually go back in a day or 2 and change to something else, if you picked the wrong thing or the conditions change a lot.

I've had to hire something on occasion, even when I have some of my skis with me. I had a week in Austria early 2020 and took a mid fat set, and got serious boiler plate on every piste all day long and the the off-piste was like an ice-rink made of 6" high ripples ! So went into a shop looked at the rack, picked out a set of Head Supershape Ispeeds and these skis were serviced to be properly sharp. Suddenly I was actually having fun on boiler plate, instead of skidding in great slides of shame.

On the other hand again, I've loved deeply every pair I have owned, and love looking at them every time I pass them in the garage Laughing
ski holidays
Whether you hire, buy blind or go to a shop - the info you glean on here will be useful.

If hiring/buying from a shop, being comfortable discussing Ski Types (Carving/AM/Freeride/Powder); Turn Radius; Waist width and Sidecut; Brand characteristics (Damp vs Playful); Design Characteristics eg Camber/Rocker etc; Materials (Graphene/Titanal/Carbon); Construction (Cap vs Sandwich) - will have the person you are dealing with take you more seriously (even if you are bluffing a bit).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy