Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SIM card for Europe

Poster: A snowHead
Even Vodafone PAYG was no good for my current no
If I put a £10 credit on it after one month of no usage/connection to the uk network the credit was deleted
And if there was no credit on the account and anyone calls me then once again there was a charge to me for rx the call
I’m currently on a sim only deal with Vodafone under £10 pm
Until I decide to ditch the Uk no it’s not worth changing networks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use Airalo e-sim (can be bought through the Airalo app) when going abroad. I think it's great as you don't have to remove and insert physical sim cards. For example, it costs 10 USD for 3GB of data during 30 days in France.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's for son #1 who will be there (morzine so primarily france but obviously will go into CH reasonably regularly) for 5 months. Don't want a contract as woudl revert back to giff gaff on return, but need reasonable data allowance and roaming.

With those locally bought SIMs can you not transfer a UK number via a PAC then?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No. France uses 12 character RIO codes to transfer numbers. The UK uses 9 character PAC codes.

It's not practical anyway. If you spend the season with a UK number, then any friend with a French SIM would be making an international call every time which could be chargeable.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I picked up a Lebara FR sim online over the summer, delivered to a FR address. Its a rolling 30 day contract , 5.99 EUR for 20GB but you can change the bundle as and when or cancel via the app.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
If you spend the season with a UK number, then any friend with a French SIM would be making an international call every time which could be chargeable.

That sounds like an issue, but in reality I don't think it would matter that much*. Most calls and texts are likely to use the data network (Whatsapp etc.), so data allowance is the most important requirement. Some people migrating around Europe use a local SIM, but many continue with their original one if the package they have works for them. As Whatsapp automatically updates the number as well, switching SIM cards around isn't an issue either.

That doesn't mean that keeping a UK SIM is the best option – it probably isn't, for all the other reasons already mentioned.

*I've only had to pay for international calls and texts with people coming over from the UK when a) they are too tight to pay for data roaming b) they don't like to install modern communication software wot the kidz use c) they are still winding up their Nokia 3310 because it hasn't broken yet. These are not likely to be issues affecting Gen Z Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Also, the UK networks now don't allow roaming beyond 60 days.

When I enquired a few years ago, I think EE did a special extended roaming pack for an additional cost that had a minimum 6 months term. Not sure if they still do but it did involve some digging around on the website and some contact with customer services to clear confusion as EE also had a general limited (to 60 days) roaming package too.

If you want to go with local SIM, then Red by SFR do a monthly SIM only package. EU roaming is included but if you want Swiss roaming, then you also need the additional international option for an additional €5 which allows 20GB.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Laughing What is this concept of my kids using a phone to you know,.....actually make a call and speak with another human???!!! A constant source of frustration trying to get them to firm up plans with friends:

"I've just sent him a message on insta/snapchat/app du jour"
Me "Just bloody call them and sort it out!!"

Wonder if his phone does dual sim - keep the giffgaff one for number at the min level maybe and local one for data....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@MHskier, doesn't need to necessarily have a 2nd sim slot, but if it has e-sim capability that might also be an option.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My phone only has the one actual sim and the e sim is just a virtual type
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My French Free SIM has stopped working in the UK, no idea why. It works fine in France and all the documentation states that it should work here. Their only customer support is via WhatsApp or calling using their SIM.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
data fair useage for roaming is usually 15gb a month. So pointless getting a sim for international roaming that may be unlimited, etc.

Easy solution is WIFI router & swap the sim. Connect your phone to the router. Swap the sim when you hit data cap.
If you need to call anyone, use whatsapp or any other method that uses data. Teams/Facebook for video calls, etc. Even google meet & dare I say zoom!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Got a newish O2 contract, which includes free EU roaming subject to their fair usage policy. After 8 weeks’ usage in Austria I received a text warning from O2 about exceeding their fair usage policy and that continued usage in the EU would be surcharged. However the charge rates appeared really inexpensive so I continued to use my O2 sim in Austria. I ended up paying on average about an extra £2 per month in extras, without changing my usage behaviour.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thats ok if they at least just allow you to use it and charge. Vodafone, literally shut down my EU Roaming.

Admitedly, I got it FoC at the contract outset back in Sept 22, knowing that we were moving here to Kirchberg in the December. All new contracts make EU roaming chargable, but the salesman lied when he rang me re end of contract renewal and said it was inclusive FoC, and they had to listen to the call recording and give it to me inclusive.............until I hadnt connected again for three months.

The bottom line is simple. My wife has been travelling back to the UK more than I have and has periodically been connecting to the UK network. I havent so got taken down. Both on the same account.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Current good maybe best deal for Europe is Lebara via the Uswitch website. £3.78 per month for 30GB for first 3 months followed by all of which usable in EU followed by £8.95 per month. No contract so can be cancelled after 3 months. First 2 months I had it used 29GB each month in Europe with only minimal UK usage in between with no reaction from Lebara.
snow report
rjs wrote:
My French Free SIM has stopped working in the UK, no idea why. It works fine in France and all the documentation states that it should work here. Their only customer support is via WhatsApp or calling using their SIM.

Have you checked the settings in your online account? There is a Forfait bloque option under Mes options that if activated will turn off roaming.
snow report
Timc wrote:
Current good maybe best deal for Europe is Lebara via the Uswitch website. £3.78 per month for 30GB for first 3 months followed by all of which usable in EU followed by £8.95 per month. No contract so can be cancelled after 3 months. First 2 months I had it used 29GB each month in Europe with only minimal UK usage in between with no reaction from Lebara.

Its the minimal uk usage that keeps it going. I dont connect to the uk for maybe a year at a time

I think there a difference here between someone who is UK based and wishes the best way to have eu data roaming when comingto the eu

Then there are people like myself who have or at least had a Uk contract but now live in the eu ie in my case Austria and wish to retain where possible their UK number

Ive just bitten the bullet with an Austrian E Sim alongside my current UK no with Vodafone
ski holidays
For Switzerland you need a sim which is based on EE such as Now Mobile (I have 20Gb for a tenner, there is a 25Gb cap for roaming data. I'm sitting in my motorhome on the shores of Lake Lucerne getting g 58Gb download speed). I also use Popit who have a 100Gb sim monthly contract for £25 which is all usable roaming. Use it for a month or two at home after returning and it can be put on pause at £1pm.
snow report
@jafa,
If you are just parking a sim then lyca & lebara have deals that start at 50p for a few months, before rising to less than a fiver. Only comes with 1gb of data, but at least it useable if needed. You do have the hassle of getting a simcard & then porting numbers as the deal expires if you the hassle of saving a few extra £.
I dont really worry about roaming. I just connect to a WIFI and use apps.

Also avoid contracts if you can! you are locked in to all sorts t&c's including price increases. I pay the same today as I did 4 years ago - & my provider has increased my data from 10gb to 30gb in that time. If I was on a contract it would have had it's obligatory inflationary increases.
ski holidays
@Gored,

I dont really worry about roaming. I just connect to a WIFI and use apps.

Unfortunately living here 24/7 I require roaming, otherwise, Id only be contactable when connected to a wifi, and if its a holiday trip, thats ok as its quite nice for the phone not to ring, or an e mail pinging etc. But it means totally out of comms otherwise.
ski holidays
Check e-sim app: https://www.airalo.com/regional-esim
They have e-Sim for whole Europe and for specific country. Regional a bit more expensive: 10GB - 37USD (30 days), local 10GB-22.50USD
Easy to use app.
latest report
I'd recommend getting a local prepaid SIM card, like Vodafone and Orange. It's a straightforward solution that can save you a lot on roaming charges.
I usually only need to receive SMS messages for bank authentication, so I rent a private number from AnonymSMS for that. For calls, I prefer to use WIFI whenever possible, as I don't receive many calls.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 26-02-24 19:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I am right now in Italy, but travel through Germany and Austria.
Used this
https://maya.net/

Works great and cheap.
latest report
Ghosh, you kids are clever! I remember when you had find a public phone booth out in the cold. And I remember thinking how clever I had been to get a phone credit card --- and now you are watching TV on the things! Wow! Where will it end?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy