Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SIM card for Europe

Poster: A snowHead
My phone has dual SIM slots and my normal SIM is now pricey for Europe. Are there any decent PAYG which provide reasonable data and phone in Europe . I will be in the dolomites and probably going to France later in the year.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Three do data-only SIM, 24GB for £45 for 24 months. It also works in Switzerland.

Can also be quite handy in the UK when your normal SIM has no reception.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is your phone capable of E-Sim?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tesco? Uses O2 network so no extra charge for Europe.

Of course if those irritating Brexiters hadn't messed things up, any provider would be good.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Plusnet Mobile do cheap SIM only deals on 1 month contracts, which include roaming (including both Switzerland and Andorra).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BT still do roam like home across the EU
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I will be in the dolomites

15k posts and in the dollies AND not on a snowHead bash?
You deserve a thorough thrashing!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This site has a few good summaries and is showing this Three Go Roam PAYG deal that might be of interest

https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/threes-feel-at-home
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not sure you will find an E-sim on PAYG and any  »cheaper » deals on pay monthly will almost certainly not be available on E-sim contracts, also all providers who assured everyone that brexit would not affect European services are simply liars, but what’s surprising about that?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Take a look at "lefrenchmobile". we used their PAYG sim for a while.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
https://smarty.co.uk/roaming

Smarty piggyback the three network.
The sims are commitment free, so you can buy 1 month then cancel.
As data fair use overseas is 12gb, it would cost about £8 for a sim
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mr.Egg wrote:
https://smarty.co.uk/roaming

Smarty piggyback the three network.
The sims are commitment free, so you can buy 1 month then cancel.
As data fair use overseas is 12gb, it would cost about £8 for a sim

This what I use. £10 per month for 40Gb ( UK data ) which gives 12Gb per month in the EU. I already needed the sim for holiday use in the UK so it works out perfectly for me. One thing to note , you can only do 60 days consecutively roaming. PM me for a link and you can get a month free.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AL9000 wrote:
Quote:

I will be in the dolomites

15k posts and in the dollies AND not on a snowHead bash?
You deserve a thorough thrashing!

Laughing Laughing
Not there at the same time. I'm down for EOSB though hence hopefully France wink
Might get a week in April inbetween
Thanks for all the advice from everyone
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Plusnet Mobile do cheap SIM only deals on 1 month contracts, which include roaming (including both Switzerland and Andorra).

I took one of these out for my son last week. £7 per month 30 day contract, no roaming fees throughout europe, unlimited minutes and texts and 12gb of data.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you get a giffgaff sim still has roaming included and you could just buy a "goody bag" for those months you need it. We use them now instead of contact and love we that we can up or reduce our monthly payment as life changes.
snow report
T Bar wrote:
My phone has dual SIM slots and my normal SIM is now pricey for Europe. Are there any decent PAYG which provide reasonable data and phone in Europe . I will be in the dolomites and probably going to France later in the year.

Could consider porting your normal SIM over to o2 so that you don't have to pay for an extra SIM?

I pay £9 per month for 30GB on o2, free roaming in Europe still included. Limited to 25GB use while actually roaming, although I never use anywhere near that.

o2 claim they won't introduce EU roaming fees. I know that all networks said it initially, but o2 now have a USP among the main networks with free roaming being retained, so it could make good financial sense for them to keep it free.

It could even lead to other networks making it free again if they lose too many customers to o2 as travel increases again.
latest report
I have a French prepaid sim from SFR, 20 euro for 20 gb.
French simcards with a plan unfortunately require residency in France, otherwise they are a lot more enticing!
snow report
Oldandbrittle wrote:
I have a French prepaid sim from SFR, 20 euro for 20 gb.
French simcards with a plan unfortunately require residency in France, otherwise they are a lot more enticing!

Do you really need residency ? Not just an address ? I seem to remember having to email a copy of a utility bill and my passport when I had a french orange sim.
snow report
I got an orange fr PAYG sim on eBay. Activated online with UK address details along with an image of my passport.
snow conditions
I have Red by SFR contract sim, set up with no proof of anything. The initial payment for the sim itself though (about €5) had to be made with a French debit card. I just used a friend's.
snow report
NickyJ wrote:
If you get a giffgaff sim still has roaming included and you could just buy a "goody bag" for those months you need it. We use them now instead of contact and love we that we can up or reduce our monthly payment as life changes.

This.

I can't see the point in a foreign (e.g. French) SIM card when (UK) Giffgaff do the job perfectly well. They're also one of the cheaper UK PAYG SIM cards anyway.

Only thing is they don't do Switzerland (just get pre-paid Three data mobile SIM...)

Top tip: Android phones with dual SIM have 'Switch data card' shortcut on the pull-down settings menu. So you can switch SIMs (data) quickly, if say, you're transiting via GVA.
ski holidays
@HilbertSpace, oh didnt realise that about Switzerland. We are flying into and out of Geneva.
latest report
NickyJ wrote:
@HilbertSpace, oh didnt realise that about Switzerland. We are flying into and out of Geneva.

People have been caught out in the past by Switzerland not being covered in many of the roaming agreements. It's why I highlighted that roaming on Plusnet does include Switzerland.
snow report
Giffgaff doesn’t cover Switzerland but Three Go Roam does.
snow conditions
@sugarmoma666, thankyou!
snow conditions
Just looking for latest best options in 2023 for a sim with a reasonable amount of data (20gb pcm?) for a season, in PDS (so needs to cover Switzerland.

Existing giff gaff limited to 5gb usage and no CH roaming.
snow conditions
I used https://travel.orange.com/en/offers/?msclkid=bc6c643b2d1519b22e8d010dcef4f223 on the last trip. Worked well for me.
latest report
I’m on O2 and their Euro (incl CH) add-on makes charges for my usage the same as in the UK. The add-on is a minor extra cost. But providers’ bundles vary a lot and this may not be available to everyone. Worth checking, anyway. I can actually get a PAYGO from my Swiss apartment broadband supplier, but it isn’t worth the bother for the relatively small cost difference, as is the case with the various alternatives.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
duplicate

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 24-10-23 10:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@MHskier, Switzerland is not always covered on EU plans, so you might want to look at getting a Swiss SIM if you can (unless you can find a French one that covers CH). Mine doesn’t, so when we were in CH last week it was cheaper to use a UK EE SIM with a roaming pack than the Austrian one. EE is pretty good, but might not be economical for a season.
ski holidays
@MHskier, effectively, you can't take a UK SIM card to the EU for a season. If you read the small print, they all? have a fair use policy which includes a ratio of home (UK) use to EU use. After a certain period, probably about 6-8 weeks, they'll cut you off as it becomes obvious you're not just on holiday.

Best bet is to get a French SIM card. Free mobile do 5G, 250GB in France, 35GB in EU including CH for €19.99/month. No contract and you can get one from a machine in a La Poste. You have a choice of 30 day validity or monthly renewal at the machine. If you do renewal, it is very awkward to cancel the renewal later on. So if you're only there for 4 months, you could just buy a new SIM card each month. There's also 4G+ 120GB/18GB for €12.99. https://mobile.free.fr/
snow report
Does anyone have experience of using a French-bought data-only SIM with a UK-bought 4G/4G+ Wi-Fi router?

Thinking of ditching Orange LiveBox (used for 5 months only but constant monthly payments) for a SIM-based router. Don’t want another contract. Main use is streaming on Smart TV - We’ve both got UK plans which include adequate EU roaming so data-only with pay as you go or cancel whenever terms
snow report
Grinning wrote:
Does anyone have experience of using a French-bought data-only SIM with a UK-bought 4G/4G+ Wi-Fi router?
Acquaintance of mine did exactly that a couple of seasons ago without any problem. I use my Free mobile SIM as a hotspot in my UK unlocked phone without any issue.
snow report
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
Grinning wrote:
Acquaintance of mine did exactly that a couple of seasons ago without any problem. I use my Free mobile SIM as a hotspot in my UK unlocked phone without any issue.

Reassuring, thank you
ski holidays
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
Grinning wrote:

We use a data sim from SOSH (just a rolling deal so can cancel at any time without problems) in our UK purchased 4g wi-fi router - works very well. They have various deals including 130gb at €15.99 per month.. https://shop.sosh.fr/mobile/forfaits-mobiles

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 24-10-23 6:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
@MHskier, effectively, you can't take a UK SIM card to the EU for a season. If you read the small print, they all? have a fair use policy which includes a ratio of home (UK) use to EU use. After a certain period, probably about 6-8 weeks, they'll cut you off as it becomes obvious you're not just on holiday.

3 months in and not cut off yet.

Mate of mine lives in Italy and has done for 3 years now using an English SIM
snow report
Living here in Austria Vodafone cut me off after 3 months of not connecting to the uk network for eu data roaming
My wife has been back and forth to the UK finishing the SW coastal path and hers is still working

Just got myself an e sim with A1 9.99 euros pm
If it wasn’t for the fact I’ve had my UK number since 1988 ( and all that time ironically with Vodafone in its different guises) got quite attached to it I’d consider chopping it in as well
snow conditions
Yes my reading was that the UK Giff Gaff sim wasn't the solution due to fair usage both in terms of days roaming and monthly data allowance being well below the goodie bag amount bought. Thanks for all that advice - the Free Mobile or O2 options look worth exploring.
snow report
swskier wrote:
3 months in and not cut off yet. Mate of mine lives in Italy and has done for 3 years now using an English SIM

Are those pre-Brexit contracts that have just rolled over? If they are, they would allow constant roaming. I allowed my lousy Vodafone contract to roll over for far too long for exactly that reason.

The OP was looking at new contracts. When I did the same a month or so ago, I couldn't find anyone who would allow you your full data capacity and/or unlimited time abroad without extra charges or a cut-off clause. Best I could find was ID Mobile who give 30GB in EU at no extra charge for a measly £8/month but they don't include CH so no good for the OP.
ski holidays
SIMs that cover CH are tricky I found when I was there for the whole of April. In the end I bought a lebara sim in Switzerland for the month as it was just easier.

Even SIMs here in Austria barely cover much usage in Switzerland, as like @jafa I'll probably get myself an Austrian e-sim and just keep my UK sim on the cheapest tariff to keep the number.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy