Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Carbon footprint for a self drive ski holiday

Poster: A snowHead
caughtanedge wrote:

What are you going to do about climate change?

Nothing

Quote:
r are you leaving it all to someone else? Or do you think it's not a problem?

Yes x2
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Haggis_Trap wrote:
horizon wrote:

A couple of years ago I started a similar thread in Après Zone regarding carbon compensation for flights, and the majority response was not too far from many of the answers in this thread ("just don't go", "China and India dwarf anyway your impact so no point in doing anything", "this is virtue signalling", "none of the carbon compensation schemes work" etc.

Carbon compensation schemes are middle class green-wash (unless you can garuntee those trees will be replanted and replaced forever more).

Far more effective to take train / drive / fly less.
Ultimately real change won't come from individual actions - but it's a start.

Someone makes a conscious decision to travel a few thousand miles so they can ski for a days.
Seems to ignore lots of trees was chopped down to create those ski runs. Lots of coal would have been burned to generate enough heat to mill the steel pillars & ropes to carry you to the top of the mountain.
Fake snow would have been blown to get an early start on the season or lots of polystyrene produced for snow farming.
then deciding driving & not flying is the right choice of travel to justify a ski trip

It is laughable.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can someone remind me how you set up the ignore user , thanks
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jonny996 wrote:
Can someone remind me how you set up the ignore user , thanks

click on the plus sign next to my name & the option is there

Enjoy living with your eyes closed.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yellow Snow wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:
[

In Kohlberg's theory of moral development this is a hard 1.2

my moral compass is guided by whatever serves me best.
I will fly, drive, sail by whatever is the best value and quickest.

So like me then......no moral compass Very Happy Very Happy

My diesel gets down there on a £70 tank of gas each way - when India, The States, Russia, China's output reduces, meaning that my car isn't registering a mini, mini, mini miniscule amount of harmful gases then I will do my bit. But in the meantime all this cobblers on here is completely unimportant

Totally agree.
I would probably drive if I lived near enough Dover or something.
Bring the car home full of wines.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mr.Egg wrote:
Haggis_Trap wrote:
horizon wrote:

A couple of years ago I started a similar thread in Après Zone regarding carbon compensation for flights, and the majority response was not too far from many of the answers in this thread ("just don't go", "China and India dwarf anyway your impact so no point in doing anything", "this is virtue signalling", "none of the carbon compensation schemes work" etc.

Carbon compensation schemes are middle class green-wash (unless you can garuntee those trees will be replanted and replaced forever more).

Someone makes a conscious decision to travel a few thousand miles so they can ski for a days.
Seems to ignore lots of trees was chopped down to create those ski runs. Lots of coal would have been burned to generate enough heat to mill the steel pillars & ropes to carry you to the top of the mountain.
Fake snow would have been blown to get an early start on the season or lots of polystyrene produced for snow farming.
then deciding driving & not flying is the right choice of travel to justify a ski trip

It is laughable.

There's this concept called time. There's a bit called the past (that's the old bit), and bit called the present (that this bit right now) and there's the future. We can't change what has happened in the past. Ski slopes exist. We can change what we do in the present (reducing our carbon footprint) so that we will hopefully still be able to enjoy these things in the future.

Also, point of clarification.... do you understand the what the word 'reduce' means? It means you want to make something smaller, even though you can't eradicate it.

I want my mortgage to be zero. I do this my making monthly payments off it. If I applied your logic that I can't make my mortgage zero right this second, I might as well max out my mortgage, take out as many credit cards, loans, pay day loans and loan shark loans as I possibly can, 'because what's the point'.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mr.Egg wrote:
iainm wrote:
Why do some people get so angry if others choose to make the choice to cut their carbon emissions? Evidently some on here feel they have no moral responsibility to do so, that's their choice, but why get so angry about it if others do.

it's not anger.
It is the equivalent of someone not eating beef because cows fart a lot & then going out to buy some leather goods.

You could fly & then go buy a few trees to plant if it really bothered you that much...

I find it quite hilarious how inconsistent peoples beliefs are around these kind of things.

If you dont take that seat on the plane, someone else will. You have saved absolutely nothing. If that person had no other way to travel, then you have increased co2 by travelling another means.

You certainly sound angry about it.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mr.Egg wrote:
Haggis_Trap wrote:
horizon wrote:

It is laughable.

I'll humour you by not banging on about how most of that carbon is long sunk - we're not building a huge number of new ski lifts or clearing many new pistes.
What I do want to focus on is this question:
If the steel in your next car can be made in a less carbon intensive way is that a good thing? Or should the message to VW or whoever be - just don't sell the car.

The point I made a couple of pages back is that the solution is going to be lots and lots of incrementally more CO2 efficient ways of doing things. It certainly isn't going to be go back to living in caves or do sod all and wait for someone to wave a magic wand.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
On the rocks wrote:
@Elsie80, it’s good to calculate your carbon footprint from travelling to your ski holiday. But rather than engaging in a dubious greenwash offsetting scheme maybe better to work out direct actions you can take to mitigate this? Unnecessary journeys at home, doing all your laundry at 30 deg C (why wouldn’t anyone?), turn down heating thermostat, your food miles, etc?

I think this is very good advice.

You don't have to be perfect - just try to do as much as you can. And if you sin now and then don't overthink it. You will still be doing more than most.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mr.Egg wrote:
If you dont take that seat on the plane, someone else will.

That is clearly bollox.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Layne, standard eggonomics
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Elsie80, your "simple" question has certainly brought around a diverse set of views from fellow snowHead

One thing not mentioned is your money, another small personal thing you can do to help alongside the obvious things you mentioned you already do (although I skeptical of carbon offset, sounds a lot like greenwashing to me) - the "big banks" transact loans and investments for projects and companies that emit vast quantities of CO2 or damage the environment so change your bank to one with more ethics and a clear environmental policy (for example, I use Triodos) and there is another movement to look at which is your pension investments, although admittedly I have not done anything about this yet - see for more info https://makemymoneymatter.co.uk/net-zero/ .

Love the post about the parade of range rovers heading to the snow, where am I to get my kicks from mocking them not being able to fit on the Eurotunnel properly as they are too wide or can't fit through the peage as they have even more inefficiencies in the shape of massive roofboxes?! It's one of my main driving entertainments!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@always29, we were worried about being xenophobic when we drove the sections of the A26 before the turnoff to Belgium at Arras - the Grom was looking in the side mirror at Big Black 4WDs approaching us from the rear at Warp Factor 9…whooooosh past us…leaving us buffeted in their wake.

Belgian.
Belgian.
Belgian.
Belgian.
British….no….Belgian.

What is it with the Big Black 4WDs…..?

We also are amused at the following.
We take about 9 hours in the Yeti - listening to music, chatting - respectable 70-80 but keep below 80 since fuel consumption rockets around 80.
Just about Dijon - GERPOW……highly distinctive British Aston passes us like we are in reverse. Vanishes.
We wend our way North.
Round about Troyes - GERPOW….same Aston blasts past…….vanishes.
We wend our way North, stop for coffee. Resume journey.
Round about Arras - GERPOW…same car.
We arrive Calais and it’s in the same line for the ferry, a few cars ahead.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i wonder if any ski resorts was built by families with links to the slave trade

justify it whatever way that makes you feel comfortable so you can accept you ski trip.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Really doesn't matter how fast you drive, to make progress you just need to stop less & that's quite easy when your not stressed from driving at 100+
snow report
@Mr.Egg,
snow conditions
I found this video quite eye opening regarding carbon footprint:

http://youtube.com/v/hi3wq7bFwpI
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap wrote:
horizon wrote:

I hope you're not using those fucxking huge diesel engines in the Coe that power the ski lifts Smile
ski holidays
The Coe is connected to the grid. Glenshee use generators but only when the tows are running. That actually means a low carbon footprint because they haven’t had to put in miles of copper cable which sits unused most of the time. The generators are also easily removed.
snow conditions
@Peter S, Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes what a load of bollox
snow report
If anyone is interested - I have found a study that was done in Aspen which said that a days skiing uses on average 0.02 tonnes of carbon, together with the travel from home to Spain being around 0.67 tonnes for a large family car - I work out that if I were to offset the carbon footprint it would need to be for around 1.2 tonnes of CO2.

I know some don’t believe in carbon offsetting but finding the right organisation that really does focus on climate projects has to help a little bit to help reduce our impact on the environment.
latest report
@Elsie80, ....that's a lot more than I expected. I will go and take a look. Up the touring then....
snow report
Sorry forgot to say my total calculation was a family of 4 travelling in one car.
ski holidays
@Elsie80, can you link to the report? 20 kg per day is surprisingly close to my daily footprint, which surprises me (I thought it would be more). Would be interesting to see what the Aspen figure includes.
latest report
@Elsie80, if you can find a reputable carbon offsetting business then I don’t see an issue with it. There will definitely be some dodgy greenwashing companies out there though.

I’d be interested to know what you find.
snow report
nevis1003 wrote:

I hope you're not using those fucxking huge diesel engines in the Coe that power the ski lifts Smile

When did you last ski Glencoe ?

The tows were all converted to electric at least 15 years ago...
snow report
This is my favourite - it really gives you a lot of information on where the money goes, gives information in dashboards and business metrics for the whole business are posted monthly. Seems like a very honest organisation- UK led from not too far from where I live.

https://ecologi.com/
ski holidays
Sorry don't know how to post images, but came across this pie chart from the Montagne Verte organisation in Morzine
https://twitter.com/skipedia/status/1486957659668553728

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FKK8HKSX0AAyaMc?format=png&name=900x900[/img]
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
valais2 wrote:
@always29
We also are amused at the following.
We take about 9 hours in the Yeti - listening to music, chatting - respectable 70-80 but keep below 80 since fuel consumption rockets around 80.
Just about Dijon - GERPOW……highly distinctive British Aston passes us like we are in reverse. Vanishes.
We wend our way North.
Round about Troyes - GERPOW….same Aston blasts past…….vanishes.
We wend our way North, stop for coffee. Resume journey.
Round about Arras - GERPOW…same car.
We arrive Calais and it’s in the same line for the ferry, a few cars ahead.

Diarrhea?
ski holidays
@Tristero, …very possibly….good thought….nasty image…. Very Happy

Perhaps that’s what bucket seats are for….
ski holidays
Wasn't that the lawyer defense used to avoid prosecution for a chap called Alex Ferguson from being apprehended while speeding along a hard shoulder when motorway was blocked.

Thought he ran a small football team, or some such Very Happy
snow conditions
I hope no evidence was presented…. Shock
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy