Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Carbon footprint for a self drive ski holiday

Poster: A snowHead
I was looking at offsetting our carbon footprint for our ski holiday - trying to work out a rough carbon amount… anyone done this before? We are driving from Wiltshire to Spain and back.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not done it but via Michelin map site may give a start point reference as it'll calculate fuel usage too, displayed as cost which could be convertable at €/litre.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If it is a diesel, each litre of diesel contains 722g of carbon which would produce about 2.65kg of CO2 (12+16+16)×722

~150litres for a round trip = approximately 400kg of CO2
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What is the point?

A bit hypocritical when you take into account the carbon footprint of a ski resort. Especially when snow making machines are used.

IF you really cared, you would stay at home.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mr.Egg wrote:
What is the point?

A bit hypocritical when you take into account the carbon footprint of a ski resort. Especially when snow making machines are used.

Nope....

Majority of carbon emissions of a ski holiday come from travel.
The best thing you can do to make a ski school holiday greener is to travel by train / car.

Benefit of driving most pronounced if car has 3-4 people in it. Driving on your own is only slightly better than flying
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
What is the point?

Nope....

The best thing you can do to make a ski school holiday greener is to travel by train / car.

Benefit of driving most pronounced if car has 3-4 people in it. Driving on your own is only slightly better than flying

We are about to have an olympics on 100% fake snow.
The amount of energy footprint used at the olympics for a few weeks will dwarf anything created in this seasons restricted ski season.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Haggis_Trap, you are arguing by assertion. Link pls?

This all sounds a little precious. If you are that concerned, stay home. If you virtue-signalling, well that is another thing….
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What is the ecological impact of posting on a ski forum?
Well for starters the forum needs hosting on a server somewhere.
The servers are made from many components of precious metals (mined), plastics (manufactured).
They use power for running, plus additional power to cool them - not sure how much server farm power comes from renewables.
They are housed in server cabs, most of which use active cooling rather than passive cooling (again power is needed for this).
The web server is accessed via an ISP, which again uses a bunch of servers, routers and switches.
As we move back down towards the last km of the connection, the access service is delivered to the consumer over fibre or copper, both of which are manufactured and then at some point somebody has used a diesel powered excavator / digger to bury these in the ground.
The device from which the post is made also requires power ( some people have solar phone chargers ), but whether it a phone of a laptop that you're using, it will have some form of battery in it.
Even though battery tech has moved a long way from lead acid to lithium ion giving longer life, the materials used and processes involved in battery manufacture are not great for the planet.
If you're worried about needless eco-impact, then getting rid of your phone, computer and TV would be a good place to start.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Exactly, we should just give up on trying to reduce carbon emissions, because there are no perfect solutions with zero drawbacks.

who needs snow anyway...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@WindOfChange, the facility I manage runs on 100% renewable, a lot of effort has gone into making sure off that. Set of the switches outside of my facility I can not say.
The internet alone accounts for approximate 6% of global power usage & ironically it is the angry youth that complain about the state of the planet that are by far the biggest consumers.
A very well hidden downside to the cloud
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ulmerhutte wrote:

This all sounds a little precious. If you are that concerned, stay home. If you virtue-signalling, well that is another thing….

you have google ? Laughing

it shouldn't be a surprise that cars produce less C02/km traveled.
plus with air-travel the effect worse as gases released into high atmosphere where they do most damage.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-49349566

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mr.Egg wrote:
What is the point?

So, if you can't completely eliminate the carbon footprint of any particular activity or process then you shouldn't even bother trying?

I agree that the Winter Olympics in Beijing is a complete waste of time, energy and resources, but it's a bit defeatist to imply that there's no point in the rest of us trying to make even small efforts to reduce our own footprint as a result.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jonny996 wrote:
@WindOfChange, the facility I manage runs on 100% renewable, a lot of effort has gone into making sure off that. Set of the switches outside of my facility I can not say.
The internet alone accounts for approximate 6% of global power usage & ironically it is the angry youth that complain about the state of the planet that are by far the biggest consumers.

absolute rubbish.
Wind does not blow 24/7. What happens then? no power until a gust of wind moves the windmill that turns the crank to generate some electric?
If it is being stored, then that is huge footprint in creating storage batteries. An illusion has been created & you are gullible to fall for it
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SKia Optima wrote:

So, if you can't completely eliminate the carbon footprint of any particular activity or process then you shouldn't even bother trying?

pretty much, because the little bit of difference it may work, is worthless.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Haggis_Trap wrote:
ulmerhutte wrote:

you have google ? Laughing

it shouldn't be a surprise that cars produce less C02/km traveled.
plus with air-travel the effect worse as gases released into high atmosphere where they do most damage.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-49349566

Is that the vehicle only? or has other things been taken into consideration like building the roads in the first place & on-going maintenance?
ski holidays
Mr.Egg wrote:
SKia Optima wrote:

Were you educated above GCSE/O Level?
ski holidays
Mr.Egg wrote:

I hope for my kids' sake not everyone thinks like you.

We are all going to die one day, so we should probably smoke 20 fags a day, bacon and lard every breakfast, big mac for lunch and extra large pizza for dinner because what's the point making any effort to prolong life by being healthy in any way. rolling eyes

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 27-01-22 9:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Mr.Egg wrote:
Jonny996 wrote:

absolute rubbish.
Wind does not blow 24/7. What happens then? no power until a gust of wind moves the windmill that turns the crank to generate some electric?
If it is being stored, then that is huge footprint in creating storage batteries. An illusion has been created & you are gullible to fall for it

Well there' also biomass, hydro and solar.

Not saying intermittency is not an issue, which is why we still rely on natural gas and nuclear. But a subset of users can certainly go 100% renewable.
snow conditions
Blimey, a few prickly responses on here.... so there's no point thinking about negative impacts of our activities, because there's always something bigger/worse out there? It would be interesting to know the vehicle size, mileage, air miles etc of the 'don't bother' posters here. But that would probably be dismissed as 'virtue signalling'.
snow conditions
The point is that leisure travel in its very nature creates needless journeys.
Once you decide that you're going to do that then it seems strange to start questioning your carbon footprint.
If it worries you then don't do it.
snow report
WindOfChange wrote:
Once you decide that you're going to do that then it seems strange to start questioning your carbon footprint.

Utter bollix. Merely existing has a carbon footprint. Are you suggesting that anyone with environmental concerns should end themselves?

Or would it not be better to find a way that our activities head towards having a net nil impact?
snow conditions
@Haggis_Trap, yes, I have Google, but one of us has a comprehension problem.

As far as I can see, you asserted that:

Quote:

I asked for a link to back up that position, and you produced a graphic showing footprints of various modes of transportation. Deflection or lack of comprehension?
ski holidays
"Why are you lot virtue signalling about deploying your parachute? Your parachute won't stop you from travelling toward the ground, so why bother pulling the chord? Just accept the fact that because you choose to jump out of a aeroplanes, you are going to hit the ground, so there is no point in slowing down."
latest report
Mr.Egg wrote:
Jonny996 wrote:

absolute rubbish.

You have shown yourself to be the fool I always thought you were
latest report
@WindOfChange,

Perfect response Eh oh!

@SKia Optima, are you stalking me?
snow report
ulmerhutte wrote:

Quote:

I asked for a link to back up that position, and you produced a graphic showing footprints of various modes of transportation. Deflection or lack of comprehension?

Here you go

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=what+is+the+carbon+footprint+of+skiing
snow report
Timmycb5 wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
SKia Optima wrote:

yes - not sure why my fingers didn't punch out the word Do - multitasking gone wrong as I was probably thinking about I need to log into work!
snow report
Mr.Egg wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
SKia Optima wrote:

yes - not sure why my fingers didn't punch out the word Do - multitasking gone wrong as I was probably thinking about I need to log into work!

Did you achieve 100% in all of your GCSEs/O Levels? If not, what was the point of continuing education.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ulmerhutte wrote:
Quote:

Once again : I ask if you have google ? Very Happy

A detailed 2012 study, on behalf of the Ski Club of Great Britain’s ‘Respect The Mountain’ campaign, found that on a long-haul fight to North America or Japan about 98% of our ski holiday CO2 emissions would go on the flight; in the Alps it’s 70-80%.
In other words, if you’re really concerned about doing your bit on these issues, don’t bother looking too hard at the environmental efforts of the ski resort – look for one that’s closest and easiest to reach with the most environmentally friendly method possible.

https://www.fall-line.co.uk/carbon-reducing-ski-travel/

Perhaps you should be specific with your questions?
Rather than acting like a prick and questioning others comprehension.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 27-01-22 9:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
SKia Optima wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:

We are all going to die one day, so we should probably smoke 20 fags a day, bacon and lard every breakfast, big mac for lunch and extra large pizza for dinner because what's the point making any effort to prolong life by being healthy in any way. rolling eyes

2nd world nations are progressing at such a fast rate, anything you try to do will make little difference in the grand scheme of things. India increase more new Co2 each year than anything the whole of the UK reduces theirs by. Plus we still have the 3rd world to come & level up.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 27-01-22 9:37; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@Elsie80, Don't have an answer to your question I'm afraid, and while I am more keen on reducing carbon output in the first place, offsetting is better than nothing. If you put this alongside general awareness and efforts to reduce your carbon footprint good for you, and I wish you well. The responses of some on here are an indication of why the planet is in the mess it is.
snow report
ski_free wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
Jonny996 wrote:

absolute rubbish.

Well there' also biomass, hydro and solar.

Not saying intermittency is not an issue, which is why we still rely on natural gas and nuclear. But a subset of users can certainly go 100% renewable.

A facility that is reliant on uninterrupted power cant! What happens on a calm dark night when the low tide is out & not enough power is being generated?
snow report
Mr.Egg wrote:
SKia Optima wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:

2nd world nations are progressing at such a fast rate, anything you try to do will make little difference in the grand scheme of things. China & India create more new Co2 than anything the whole of the UK reduces theirs by. Plus we still have the 3rd world to come & level up.

In Kohlberg's theory of moral development this is a hard 1.2
snow report
@ulmerhutte, Electricity makes up most of the energy use in ski resorts.

In the UK each kWh of electricity generation emits 233 grams of CO2. This is half of what it used to be when coal fired power stations were prevalent and before growth of wind generation.

In France the emission factor is only 57 grams per kWh; only a quarter of the current UK factor. This is largely due to the prevalence of nuclear generation.

The Swiss emission factor is even lower due to hydro power and imported French nuclear power

Therefore energy use in many European ski resorts is not a massive carbon problem.

Of course China is a different matter
snow conditions
@Mr.Egg, tidal produces power when the tide comes in and out. I thought, given where you live and the massive scheme that was designed for the bay, you would have been aware of this?
snow conditions
WindOfChange wrote:

I've never understood this all or nothing perspective. Sure reducing 50% of the emissions of your trip (/diet/house heating/whatever) is still 50% more than if you stay at home, but it's still also 50% better than just thinking Be Nice please! it.

No leisure travel = huge sacrifice, not reasonable to expect. Taking steps to reduce personal impact where no/minimal sacrifice is involved = why wouldn't you? Perfect is the enemy of the good and all that.

It's a bit like shitting yourself. I'm sure if you do a little shart in your pants I'm sure you wouldn't just think screw it, squeeze the rest out then smear it on your face too. A little mess is better than a big mess.
ski holidays
Timmycb5 wrote:
[

my moral compass is guided by whatever serves me best.
I will fly, drive, sail by whatever is the best value and quickest.
ski holidays
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-56530424
snow report
Mr.Egg wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:
[

my moral compass is guided by whatever serves me best.
I will fly, drive, sail by whatever is the best value and quickest.

Indeed. Stage 1.2 is labelled "self interest"
snow report
Jonny996 wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-56530424

Renewables met 97% of Scotland's electricity demand in 2020
What happened to excess energy produced when production outstripped demand? My guess is that is was fed into the national grid.

When demand outstripped production, it pulled energy from the national grid. Problem is, you have no way of knowing where that watt of energy was generated from. It could have been coal or gas or nuclear.
You cannot claim you used 97% renewables.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy