Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria Bars and Restaurants

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks. Looking for a bit of info from anyone who is in or has recently been to Austria.
I believe I'm right in saying après ski bars are closed and are likely to remain so this season, but does anyone know are hotel bars open for guests, or are they also closed?
Also are you able to go into a restaurant just for a drink? For example at the end of a days skiing is it ok to go to a mountain hut and just order a couple of beers?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As a rule, Apres Ski bars, where there is live music and dancing on tables etc is banned.

The bars are open, though. Table service inside and outside. Checks are being made to establish that guests are double vaccinated (at least and as per rules for Austrians) either on entry or when seated. This is by and large being enforced.

All bars/restaurants (including those in hotels) are closed at 10.00pm.

It’s fine to go to a mountain hut for a few beers. There are plenty of bars open for Apres beers….just not as wild as usual, though there are plenty of reports of a good atmosphere in many places.

Apparently, there is due to be a press announcement fairly soon regarding relaxing of some rules but this will mainly affect Austrians, or so I understand.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Cacciatore, thanks for the info. What you describe suits me well at 57 years old.........
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bars and restaurants were all open and relaxed in Bad Hofgastien last week, checks were made on Vac status on entry and the bars closed at 10. Mask wearing for going to loos etc. No big deal and it made for quite streets at bed time compared to lots of places I've been to in the past. Only confusion seemed to be on mask wearing in the sauna. Very Happy

Only big downside was 3 of the 6 of our group returned with COVID and are now self isolating. So not sure the rules are making much difference.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Tim M, Were jus back from Zell am See . Our hotel bar stopped serving at around 9.45 pm and all guest's had to be in there rooms by 10pm with no exceptions . We couldn't even sit in the lobby for a chat after 10pm . I wonder did other hotels have this policy. Seemed a bit OTT.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Tim M, i have just returned from St. Anton. Everything was open up and down the mountain, in the evening all good restaurants were fully booked by reservations.
Mooserwirt and Base Camp were playing music in the background but not loud, people were waiting outside for a table from 16.
I can no longer post photos directly for some reason, but see https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/snowGalleryS.php?u=61085&solo=11913
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Chick, our hotel was more relaxed, still serving up to about 10.15 with people relaxing in the lounge and not being kicked out
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Chick, like being sent up to bed, good children!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
drporat wrote:
@Tim M, i have just returned from St. Anton. Everything was open up and down the mountain, in the evening all good restaurants were fully booked by reservations.
Mooserwirt and Base Camp were playing music in the background but not loud, people were waiting outside for a table from 16.
I can no longer post photos directly for some reason, but see https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/snowGalleryS.php?u=61085&solo=11913

Does that mean none of the usual KK/Mooserwirt apres-antics ?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@0836whimper, no loud music or people dancing. Yet after 21 one could still see drunk and happy (amazing how often those things go together) people on Dorfstrasse, most of them under 30.
Thus invincible and eternal NehNeh
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
found this if anyone interested, this https://www.eatdrinkfun.com/podcast/3-eugen-scalet-the-mooserwirt-aprs-ski-story
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The pandemic has made us grateful for small mercies ... being able to get a drink as late as 22:15!!!!

Living the life.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tim M wrote:
@Cacciatore, thanks for the info. What you describe suits me well at 57 years old.........

You’re very welcome. At 58, I think I could, now and again, handle a bit of dancing on the tables…. Toofy Grin Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cacciatore wrote:
Tim M wrote:

You’re very welcome. At 58, I think I could, now and again, handle a bit of dancing on the tables…. Toofy Grin Laughing

Great, but if you do Schuss in Boots needs to get a video of it! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This is good to know! Thank u for all the information! Heading out to Niederau on the 5th Feb, 7 fully vaccinated and boosted adults. Can anyone clarify what the entry requirements are for fully vaxed adults?.. our 2nd jab was in june 2021, boosted in Dec 2021…still unsure if we need to take a PCR test 72hrs prior to flying.

Any clarification will be much appreciated!
snow report
Huwsbach wrote:
This is good to know! Thank u for all the information! Heading out to Niederau on the 5th Feb, 7 fully vaccinated and boosted adults. Can anyone clarify what the entry requirements are for fully vaxed adults?.. our 2nd jab was in june 2021, boosted in Dec 2021…still unsure if we need to take a PCR test 72hrs prior to flying.

Any clarification will be much appreciated!

Rules changed on 24th January so you are good to enter with 2 jabs + booster (proof required of course), no PCR required.
snow report
Wow! Thats was a quick reply! Thank you so much! I take it the NHS QR covid pass is acceptable?..
snow conditions
@Huwsbach, yes it is though you might find it is rather clunky to use as you will have to show the code on a regular basis. Better to upload it to an app like the Austrian Grüner Pass or the German Corona Warn. Some people save the code directly to their phone which seems to be OK in Austria too. Be aware that you need to carry photo id with you too. Not everywhere will ask for it but legally your vaccine certificate is only valid with photo id and some places will insist on that too.
ski holidays
Ahh brill!! Thank you! I’ve printed off my NHS QR code to pocket size and laminated it to carry in my pocket. I will also have a copy in my ‘apple wallet’ on my phone and and a fully printed copy - just as back up! Cant be too safe eh?! Lol!.. initially we were meant to go to Sauze in Italy, but due to the poor snow conditions and Crystal changing our accommodation last min, we opted to move our booking to Austria! Which has been a panic to say the least! I believe the snow conditions are good at the moment?

Thanks for all the advice and help! Much appreciated! This will be our 1st time to Austria!
snow report
Even if you are happy with everything on your phone it is as well to have paper back up as well.
I'm not going to explain why I know this Shocked
snow report
Quote:

we opted to move our booking to Austria! Which has been a panic to say the least! I believe the snow conditions are good at the moment?

Not there (yet) but I gather they're OK, probably best in the eastern part of Tyrol (not Osttirol). Current forecast is very promising for all of northern Austria (i.e. everywhere apart from Osttirol and Kaernten) Very Happy
ski holidays
@Huwsbach, Best conditions are currently in the East of Tyrol and in Salzburgland with another 30cm or so due over the coming weekend.
snow report
Re the NHS app. Anywhere we were in Hinterglemm that asked for it just had a brief look at it and that was fine. No scanning of QR codes
snow conditions
Quote:
Huwsbach, yes it is though you might find it is rather clunky to use as you will have to show the code on a regular basis. Better to upload it to an app like the Austrian Grüner Pass or the German Corona Warn. Some people save the code directly to their phone which seems to be OK in Austria too
Saved it on my Android phone no problem. Just click on an icon on the home screen to view it. Paper copy in pocket as back up.

In two Austria trips since November, we've had a mix of cursory checks and full-on scanning of our bar codes. Accommodation providers have been the strictest.

Only one mountain restaurant didn't bother at all. Nor did a restaurant in one of the villages we stayed in. Once seated, we asked if it was required and received an apology that it hadn't been checked due to an oversight.

We self catered on both trips and only had three meals out in three weeks away. One restaurant was empty but the other two had groups seated very near to us. As a result, did cross our minds that we might contract covid - but thankfully not, according to our tests on returning home.

Most zealous covid enforcement was on a day trip to Ischgl. We were stopped in the (very busy) street after skiing by a G4 security guard and told to wear masks.
latest report
Just re-reading this as we're off on Saturday (Zurs). I like the idea of laminating it so I don't have to keep getting my phone out which is always tucked well away when skiing. Do they need just the QR code? OR I was thinking of the whole booster section backed by a copy of passport photo page? Sounds like overkill I know but it would just about fit in a pocket.
Any thoughts?
snow report
@outwood, just about everybody here is using a phone app, as far as I have seen. I suspect the QR code will be sufficient, but why not get the app as well for backup?

I have only once been asked for ID to go with the app - an image of my passport page on my phone was enough.
snow report
@outwood, I dont think there is one answer to this. I was behind a woman in the lift pass queue yesterday who had a paper certificate of some sort. Whatever code she had on the piece of paper wouldnt scan, the person in the ticket office kept pointing at her phone but there clearly wasnt an app on it. Eventually she got her pass but it was a lot of faff. At the restaurant I was in there was security checking passes (it was a lift company spot so more staff), everyone I saw produced their phone for the code to be scanned. Some of the smaller places will just want a quick look at a certificate of some description, some might not bother at all. It does seem that one of the apps (not the NHS one it is too clunky) is the most reliable option. You paper idea should work but it does strike me as more faff than a simple swipe of your phone and id in your pocket (which you should have in any case and are unlikely to need), also a risk of the code not working at some point.
latest report
Sorry, I should have been clearer, do have the app but its likely my phone will be buried deep in my backpack, so I was looking at a laminated pocket version for speed! I'd still use the phone for when I'm OK to be fumbling around searching for my phone.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just a quick tip. Lots of people saying NHS is too clunky. Well yes, if you try to go through the whole process each time, but you don't need to. Before you leave UK or wherever run through the NHS app to get your code page up, then click the option to download a pdf version to your phone. Then go to the downloaded document area on your phone select the pdf and tell it to copy it to your home screen. Then all you have to do is open the phone and click on it and bang it is open, whenever you need it, no clunks and no internet needed, as it is already there. Maybe print it too and keep a paper one somewhere too, in case your phone battery goes flat !

In Saalbach 2 weeks ago, some places scanned it, some just read the description and 1 guy looked at the black dots with his bare eyes and that was enough for him. All these methods/people were happy with paper or phone - lift ticket office, hotel, bars, shops, restaurant - all of them. Some places (mostly up higher didn't bother at all). One that shall remain nameless, broke all of the rules in the book about Apres not being allowed too !
latest report
For iPhone users, you can also add the QR codes to the iPhone wallet using the NHS app for quick and easy access to them.
snow conditions
pctaylor wrote:
For iPhone users, you can also add the QR codes to the iPhone wallet using the NHS app for quick and easy access to them.

Oh good. I read the post above about a clunky nhs app and was confused because I’ve saved the nhs travel pass into my Apple wallet and am expecting it to be easy! Just need a photo of my passport too, might make it my Lock Screen for ease!
snow conditions
For us androids the same is true for downloading to google play.
snow conditions
Hi, we are just back from a week in Saalbach. In the town bars want to scan your 3rd QR code, for the booster, and only that one. It can be paper, the app or a screengrab. If using a screengrab there was 1 restaurant at the top of one of the lifts which turfed out one of our gang as it didn't show her name, but generally on the mountain they DONT check, as you need the booster info for the lift passes. We were never asked for any other ID.

Our chalet hotel bar stayed open until 11, but the others all closed at 10. If was like 2am in a busy city watching people try to get themselves home at chucking out time! We generally apres straight after skiing for 1 or 2 drinks, and this was easily still enjoyable and good fun.
latest report
@micheleperry, AFAIK, a booster is not a requirement for 2G, as long as your 2nd shot was no longer than 180 days ago (was 270 days).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy