Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

If you find French ski resort restaurants expensive...

Poster: A snowHead
@johnE,

I was born in Wales.

I spent over 6 years living in Scotland.

I have a ppl (private pilots licence) although I no longer have any ratings to fly solo. I was a paraglider pilot between 1990 and 2008.

I don't think any other SH has ever asked me that question, especially when I've met them in person.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
denfinella wrote:
...have you tried anywhere else apart from the usual handful of "British people" resorts?

Today we were at Alpe du Grand Serre. At the table service restaurant by the main lift we ordered the following for lunch:

- boeuf borguignon with rice and salad (plat du jour)
- an excellent tartiflette accompanied by a generous bowl of salad
- usual bread and water for the table

The bill came to €18.80.

I love these lesser known little ski resorts.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pasigal wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:
If you don’t like expensive bills, then don’t have a drink at Les Terrasses in Montgenevre.

€18 for 2 pints. Shocked

In Norway that's known as a "steal."

I have never, even in Switzerland, seen prices for alcohol as high as they were in Norway.

I don't drink much but I'm happy to pay for "table rental" as part of the drinks prices; if the views are spectacular and no one's going to make me shove off while I nurse a beer or 2, then I'm OK with high prices. never been to Les Terrasses but the photos sure look pretty great.

£13 a pint in Trysil last weekend.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Timmycb5 wrote:
If you don’t like expensive bills, then don’t have a drink at Les Terrasses in Montgenevre.

€18 for 2 pints. Shocked

Eh oh! was in there yesterday, I’d say the price of the beer is related to the scenery!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bear in mind that a pint can be €7.50 in a provincial town bar in France!

Never understood the economics of that.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just under £3 for a personal pizza (around 8") and cup of tea today. Bottles of Stella £1.40, bud £1.20. karakol ski base Kyrgyzstan snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@boarder2020, are you doing a TR on Kyrgyzstan? Its been on my hit list but have been put off by a couple of reports of unstable sugary snowpack. How are you finding it?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
7chf for a large beer in Chez Dany, Verbier.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@JamesHJ, exactly. Beer in France ain't cheap, full stop.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 26-01-22 14:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
welshflyer wrote:
@denfinella,

It's Burns Night tonight!

Have you found anywhere offering Haggis, Neeps & Tatties for your dinner tonight?

In 1982 I organised a Burns Night Party in Courmayeur. The haggis from Harrods was very good and we had the "Address to the Haggis", scottish dancing, tartan etc..

The Christiania Hotel in Les Gets did a Burns night complete with address to the Haggis etc. Scottish owners.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Richie456 wrote:
Was pleasantly surprised at lunch costs on the mountain in Courmayeur over New Year as have been used to prices at PdS / Paradiski / L2A! Stronger GBP also makes a difference.

Depends where you eat in Courmayeur of course, had lunch on the hill there 3 weeks ago and it was €260, at least that was for five of us.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dr John wrote:
@JamesHJ, exactly. France ain't cheap, full stop.

Reputedly this is due to the system of licenses for bars, which much like those for taxis and tabacs are limited in number. I think it is a pretty closed market, and prices are basically controlled.

Another problem is the labour laws. Even if you own the place, I think that you need to pay yourself a full salary for every hour the door is open. There's also regular clampdowns on people using e.g. family to informally help out. An expensive business.

The brewers/suppliers are also complete sharks. I know a place which sells speciality beers (mainly German). The owner told me that his wholesale price for bottled Erdinger was comparable to what Carrefour sell a bottle for (~€2). I forget what his sale price was, but it was not cheap, especially for drinking in the bar. Incidentally, we just got back from Germany with a boot full of crates of beer, which (after the Pfand) costs about €0.70 a bottle...Everything there is much cheaper and the salaries are 30 % higher at least!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@JamesHJ, makes sense. I don't begrudge paying €7 a pint to our local bar, it's never exactly rammed and they don't sell that much beer. For comparison a pint in Rosee Blance in Val d'Isere is, erm, €7 and they obviously sell huge amounts of the stuff.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Who goes to France to drink beer anyway
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Layne, good point. In general French beer is not very good. One thing that has been bothering me in this post is that everyone appears to be drinking pints. In France I always have the standard size - 25cl. Am I an outlier?
snow report
Nope in France I'm a demi beer drinker

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 26-01-22 16:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I often wonder what people mean by "pints" in the French context. I was delighted to discover the "galopin", which is a really small glass, often just enough for me - I can't take a large amount of fizz.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
I often wonder what people mean by "pints" in the French context. I was delighted to discover the "galopin", which is a really small glass, often just enough for me - I can't take a large amount of fizz.

I delighted my tiny daughter by drinking an entire 1 L Maß of beer in Germany last week. She was especially impressed by the resulting cacophany of burps from all the fizz snowHead
snow conditions
Quote:

I can't take a large amount of fizz.

OK we are really getting on to topic drift (which I like - a bit like putting a leonard Cohen video on youtube and seeing where it ends up after 3 hours), but I have a friend who takes a special cocktail swizzler to France with him so he can de-carbonate French beer .
latest report
kat.ryb wrote:
@boarder2020, are you doing a TR on Kyrgyzstan? Its been on my hit list but have been put off by a couple of reports of unstable sugary snowpack. How are you finding it?

I'm heading back to Bishkek tomorrow, so probably a bit late for a TR. Might do a general info kind of post. It's certainly a continental snowpack. Basically unconsolidated facets with no real hard layer, so actually relatively safe right now, but you can see how it could easily turn into a PWL. If you want culture, somewhere different and a bit off the beaten path, and extremely cheap (other than flights) it's a good option. If you want the best skiing go to BC.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy