Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

If you find French ski resort restaurants expensive...

Poster: A snowHead
...have you tried anywhere else apart from the usual handful of "British people" resorts?

Today we were at Alpe du Grand Serre. At the table service restaurant by the main lift we ordered the following for lunch:

- boeuf borguignon with rice and salad (plat du jour)
- an excellent tartiflette accompanied by a generous bowl of salad
- usual bread and water for the table

The bill came to €18.80.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 23-01-22 20:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
denfinella wrote:
...have you tried anywhere else apart from the usual handful of "British people" resorts?

Today we were at Alpe du Grand Serre. At the table service restaurant by the main lift we ordered the following for lunch:

- boeuf borguignon with rice and salad (plat du jour)
- an excellent tartiflette accompanied by a generous bowl of salad
- usual bread and water for the table

The bill came to €18.80.

For two or for four? Quite reasonable if the latter.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@T Bar, Laughing But have you been asked for £9 for a sandwich in a perfickly ordinary English pub recently?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@pam w, I am afraid not. The last sandwich I had in a perfectly ordinary English pub (in the lake district) was £11.50
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
But you do get a few green leaves on the side for that.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@T Bar, don't be cheeky Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is that a resort?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Nadenoodlee, Alpe du Grand Serre is a small ski station a few mile outside Grenoble. http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Isere-Drome/L-Alpe-Du-Grand-Serre
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@landmannnn, yes, 2 green leaves and served on a piece of slate rather than a plate. I'm not sure if that increases or decreass the price

@denfinella, It is cheep. Normally that meal would cost almost 28€ in Les Arcs.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lunch for me and my son in Chatel on Thursday. Decent size bowl of soup with croutons and cheese, lump of bread, plat du jour (veal in a nice sauce, creamed spinach, rice) €19.

Hit the spot nicely.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@denfinella,

I don't go on a skiing holiday based on the cost of lunch I go for the quality of the skiing. If the cost of lunch is higher in order to experience good skiing so be it.

Why are you travelling to France you could save a fortune by skiing in Scotland.

How good is the skiing in Alpe du Grand Serre?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Central Chamonix, very nice hot chicken and chip baguette, €5.50 ...

Filled me up Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@DJL, that sounds good too! I really like the French plats du jour - usually excellent food and value, and I like the randomness of what's available from day to day.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
welshflyer wrote:
@denfinella,

I don't go on a skiing holiday based on the cost of lunch I go for the quality of the skiing. If the cost of lunch is higher in order to experience good skiing so be it.

Why are you travelling to France you could save a fortune by skiing in Scotland.

How good is the skiing in Alpe du Grand Serre?

Normally there is a strong negative correlation between the ability to ski and the glamour of the ski resorts Toofy Grin

Fools and their money etc Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Who complains - certainly not a bunch of mates from London used to Savoie skiing, and trying Verbier/Siviez...
latest report
@welshflyer, are you asking how the skiing in Alpe du Grand Serre was compared to Scotland, or to e.g. the 3 Valleys? If the former, then it was excellent.

If the latter, then it was excellent, but only for a single day. I wouldn't want to be there for a week. We are visiting several resorts from a base near Grenoble. Yesterday was better-known Alpe d'Huez, but I took a packed lunch so didn't look at any menu prices. FWIW, I enjoyed my day skiing in each resort equally - neither was really a better experience than the other.

I'm also not convinced that I could save a fortune by skiing in Scotland (a bit, probably). The lift passes in Scotland are more expensive than many French ski areas (and virtually all similar-sized French ski areas). Accommodation in Scotland is also more expensive, and so is ski hire. Getting to France obviously incurs a bigger travel cost, but that is less of a factor when split across a longer trip (I'm here for 11 days). Then there is a much higher chance in Scotland that you won't be able to ski or that snow / weather will be rubbish. In good conditions, I'm a big Scotland skiing fan - but for a day trip, not a holiday.)

Your two points seem to contradict each other - first you are suggesting I could save money by staying in Scotland, but then you are suggesting that I shouldn't save money because it will compromise on skiing quality.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 23-01-22 21:07; edited 1 time in total
latest report
patrick! wrote:
Who complains - certainly not a bunch of mates from London used to Savoie skiing, and trying Verbier/Siviez...

There have been a few recent threads, exacerbated by the recent UK travel ban. "France has banned me temporarily so I will never ski there again. Never liked it much anyway and they always ripped me off in restaurants" is the general gist of a lot of the comments in those threads wink
snow report
Was pleasantly surprised at lunch costs on the mountain in Courmayeur over New Year as have been used to prices at PdS / Paradiski / L2A! Stronger GBP also makes a difference.
latest report
pam w wrote:
@T Bar, Laughing But have you been asked for £9 for a sandwich in a perfickly ordinary English pub recently?

Having been in in Scotland for most of the past three years no, I did actually go to a few English pubs last Oct on a golf trip but don't think I ordered a sandwich (or tartiflette come to that)
Actually I tell a lie I did have sandwich in one of the pubs in the New Forest but cannot remember how much it cost. I must be getting senile.
snow report
@denfinella,

I am genuinely interested in hearing about the skiing in places most of us have never heard of let alone skied.

I learned to ski at Hillend when at Edinburgh University. I helped organise uni ski trips to Glenshee, Cairngorm, Solden & Murren while there. Can you imagine the difference between the Ptarmigan restaurant in Cairngorm and the Piz Gloria (revolving) restaurant in Murren!
ski holidays
If you don’t like expensive bills, then don’t have a drink at Les Terrasses in Montgenevre.

€18 for 2 pints. Shocked
snow report
@T Bar,

Yes, the cost of lunch & drinks in some of the New Forest pubs will make your eyes water.

Too many country pubs are now gastro pubs. I'm constantly on the search for good old pub pie & chips.
latest report
welshflyer wrote:
@denfinella,

I am genuinely interested in hearing about the skiing in places most of us have never heard of let alone skied.

His live TR thread:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=158109&highlight=
snow report
you pretentious lot: what's wrong with a 15 euro hot dog and chips
latest report
@welshflyer, yes, quite a difference Laughing I do agree that Scotland is up there with the best of the them on a good day - it's just that the good days can be few and far between.

For more obscure resorts, have a look at previous trip resports in my signature.
snow report
Layne wrote:
welshflyer wrote:
@denfinella,

His live TR thread:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=158109&highlight=

There was a thread on here once specifically about small french resorts. Maybe someone more competent than myself could dig it up again.
snow report
skitow wrote:
There was a thread on here once specifically about small french resorts. Maybe someone more competent than myself could dig it up again.

TBH there is more than one but here is a recent one based on a Guardian article:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=158339&highlight=
ski holidays
@denfinella,

I agree with you about the small places. There is a good one on the opposite side of the valley (roughly) to Alpe d'Huez, Col d'Ornon. Cracking place when the conditions are right, split into 2 areas with a few blues and greens on one and a very steep black on another. Only open on Wednesdays, weekends and for the school holidays. Normally closes straight after holidays in March. You can rent the whole place for a day in the week if you want, about 2500€ I think including free ESF instructor, restaurant and rooms for the night Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yellow Snow wrote:

You spendthrift: what's wrong with a homemade ham and cheese roll pilfered from the breakfast buffet! wink
snow conditions
Timmycb5 wrote:
If you don’t like expensive bills, then don’t have a drink at Les Terrasses in Montgenevre.

€18 for 2 pints. Shocked

In Norway that's known as a "steal."

I have never, even in Switzerland, seen prices for alcohol as high as they were in Norway.

I don't drink much but I'm happy to pay for "table rental" as part of the drinks prices; if the views are spectacular and no one's going to make me shove off while I nurse a beer or 2, then I'm OK with high prices. never been to Les Terrasses but the photos sure look pretty great.
latest report
We actually brought our own alcohol from down South to all nordic countries - whether Iceland (at a time when the Crown crashed vs. the Pound), Sweden, Finland or Norway. And just didn't drink much during these trips. I guess it also had to do with these being summer hols with long days - no such qualms during winter weekends in Copenhague...
latest report
johnE wrote:
@pam w, I am afraid not. The last sandwich I had in a perfectly ordinary English pub (in the lake district) was £11.50

Ha Ha - you have to go a long way to the finges of the LDNP to find a perfectly ordinary English pub among the gastro wannabes and the "resort pricing". Not that I'm unsympathetic they have resort style problems with workers, accomodation etc and high seasonality/weekend warrior impacts.
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, It wasn't even in the national park
ski holidays
SlipnSlide wrote:
Yellow Snow wrote:

You spendthrift: what's wrong with a homemade ham and cheese roll pilfered from the breakfast buffet! wink

Actually at the right picnic table - I remember a particularly picturesque spot near Arpette in Les Arcs - the hastily constructed ham and cheese baguette is a thing of deep joy
latest report
@denfinella,

It's Burns Night tonight!

Have you found anywhere offering Haggis, Neeps & Tatties for your dinner tonight?

In 1982 I organised a Burns Night Party in Courmayeur. The haggis from Harrods was very good and we had the "Address to the Haggis", scottish dancing, tartan etc..
snow report
I was charged 9 euros for a can of fanta in Courchevel about 6 years agp, probably 12 now.
snow report
@Pasigal, the views are amazing and it has the sun all day long. We went there everyday snowHead
snow report
Pasigal wrote:

I have never, even in Switzerland, seen prices for alcohol as high as they were in Norway.

In Oslo I paid about 100-120 NOK.
Next time you're in Geneva go and buy a bottle of Desperado in the Kempinski - you'll be unpleasantly surprised @ 25 CHF a pop.
latest report
Courchevel has a huge variety of prices for food and drink which appear not related in the slightest to quality. We found eye watering prices at the altiport and remember paying 30FF for a coffee in one place when the price elsewhere in town was less than 10. Even in 1850 there are cheeper places. One on the main road had good quality plat du jour for, IIRC, 14€ and pizza in the shopping centre was less than you'd pay in the UK

@welshflyer, may I ask why someone with the non de plume "Welshflyer"organising Burns night celebrations?
latest report
I am Welsh and I organised a Burns night party a few years ago. And it went very well! We even had a Burns speaking competition and my daughter, who went to a nursery and primary school in Ayrshire but left at the age of 8, won.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy