Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help please! Alpine soles for Atomic Hawx Prime XTD?

Poster: A snowHead
Hope a guru can help with this. Does anyone know if you can fit alpine binding compatible soles to the Atomic Hawx Prime XTD boot? It looks to me from the Atomic website that you can get replacement soles which are alpine binding norm compatible, but it is a bit hard to be sure. Hoping someone has more direct insight.

For background, cost centre number 2 (daughter) is 15 and a very strong skier, she used to race a lot but has lost interest and now moving more toward all mountain skiing. She is starting some limited touring in Scotland, and last time we were in the alps she ripped up genuine deep powder on race slalom skis and loved it. As she is unlikely to grow much, and is the strongest skier of the 4 kids, I am happy to invest in good kit for her. At our local ski shop (Banks of Perth), the best fit was interestingly (why does this always happen with daughters) the most expensive boot in the store - Atomic Hawx Prime XTD. They know us quite well, my daughter having raced so much is pretty competent with boot fit, and I know a bit myself so I am fairly sure these will serve her well. The problem is they come with Gripwalk compatible soles which will not fit her slalom skis which she really likes for piste days (I don't let he use her GS race skis on piste). I don't think it is likely that a gripwalk compatible binding will fit her Fisher

There is also the niggle that they definitely have a softer flex than her race boots but she seems happy with that, and frankly I think that is a good thing as she skis more off-piste in the future.

As an aside I got have some Atomic XTD boots in 2019, and chose to also get some new piste boots as was doing BASI at the time and wanted the increased precision. The XTD's are more comfortable though, so if it is an option to get alpine soles for them I would consider it for teaching/piste skiing with the kids.

As always any advice or experience appreciated!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are people on here who should be able to answer ( @spyderjon )perhaps , but if not - the atomic technical guy posts on the skitalk.com forum on all things atomic. " @onenerdykid "
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think CEM has good links with Atomic.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Roguevfr, @rjs, Thanks both. Have been researching more and increasingly convinced it is possible but not 100% sure. Then there will be the problem of getting some in stock somewhere and being sure of that before 12th Feb. Shop is of sure keen to see us the boots (and why not at £530!), and they are also looking into it so will see what they come back with.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
https://www.skiequipmentuk.co.uk/product/brands/atomic/atomic-ski-and-ski-boot-spares/atomic-hawx-ultra-and-prime-2018-on-ski-boot-heels-and-toes-set/
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@spyderjon, Thanks, as always! The pictures of these look like alpine binding compatible, but the description is a bit lacking! Will double check with them in the morning. Also never used these guys, do you have experience of them?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
zikomo wrote:
@spyderjon, Thanks, as always! The pictures of these look like alpine binding compatible, but the description is a bit lacking! Will double check with them in the morning. Also never used these guys, do you have experience of them?

Yep, they're the alpine soles.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@spyderjon, Cool, thanks. Have ordered a set.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
zikomo wrote:
@spyderjon, Cool, thanks. Have ordered a set.

they aren't designed to fit that boot due to the cut always for the pin insert in the rear of the boot, they will fit but are not designed for it
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If not, looks like an RC4 13 GW will fit a Fischer race plate. Not exactly cheap but swapping soles is a pain.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@CEM, Thanks. The Atomic website does say they are compatible with the boot, but this was precisely my concern. Will I be ok to fit them and do you think I will do any damage doing so (i.e be able to easily put the GW soles back on)? Anything else I should be aware of?

I am really tempted by the boots as they are a great ft for my daughter, and suite the type of skiing she is starting to get into. I am sure that her next step of skis will be more all mountain oriented which we will get mounted with a GW binding, so it is probably quite a short term solution.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@gorilla, Thanks. Do you have the detail of how I can check this? Or maybe @spyderjon, will also know?

Frankly though the boots are £530 RRP which I think is enough investment for one season for the girl! Especially as her brother ended up with a second hand pair!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@zikomo, only thing you can't do is use a pin binding with that sole unit on them
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@CEM, Thanks, that sole will only be used for pure piste skiing. IF we get new snow when we are in Italy in Feb then will consider putting the GW soles on and trying to hire some touring skis for her in resort. Otherwise will just put the GW soles back on when we get back for Sottish touring (the school have a stock of touring skis).

I guess I am just trying to invest in the right boot for my daughter without also having to shell out for new skis or bindings at the same time!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@zikomo,

Going forward, you can get gripwalk compatible race bindings apparently (though I'm guessing that a proper race boot sole would be marginally better, and racers seem to care about stuff like that!).

My son mostly skis freeride, so has Nordica Striders with gripwalk soles, but occasionally races with his school, so was pondering how to fix this too. Don't think I'd want to be swapping soles on a regular basis as I'm not sure they are designed for that.
ski holidays
@stuarth, Thanks. It is probably a short term issue as I don't think she will do much racing in future, she has just lost interest. And also she was pretty serious and the gap between her (very good) and those that both fully commit and have tons of natural talent was getting pretty wide made worse by the pandemic. Right now she just has a particular set of race slalom skis that she like to ski on piste and wants to be able to do so for at least for part of the time we will be in Italy. Rest of the season she will probably use touring skis in Scotland so we can revert to the original sole.

Out of interest, though, I don't really see why it would be a problem changing the soles a few times. Form the looks of it it is just undoing and redoing some screws. What is it about it that you think I should worry about? Of course I don't want to do it at all if it will damage the boot or impede safety in any way.
snow conditions
@zikomo, my (old) scarpa freedoms had steel t nuts in the sole, so you could swap multiple times without problems. Other systems are designed more for replacement, as I understand it. With my Lange Freetours you just screw into the plastic. I don't know how that would hold up if I were swapping sole plates frequently. I don't know how the Atomics work but it would surprise me a lot if a few swaps caused a major problem.
snow report
@gorilla, Thanks that is reassuring. Banks have not got back to me today, will see what they say when they eventually do. Have ordered a set of replacement soles for my boots anyway as only £30 and will have a look once they arrive.
snow conditions
Aaaaagh!

Local ski shop got back to me today, to say the Atomic Rep had been adamant that the replacement alpine soles are NOT compatible with the Hawx Prime XTD boot. The wording on the Atomic website is a bit confusing, but listed under compatibility is the Prime range (not mention of XTD or otherwise).

I have ordered a set of replacement soles anyway, as only £30, and will take them in to the ski shop to see if they will fit the boot.

Frankly I am loath to buy my daughter a set of alpine norm soled boots as the trend is clearly towards Grip Walk - most skis even piste oriented seem to be being offered with GW compliant bindings and the XTD is a much more versatile boot especially for getting her into side country type stuff.

Another thing I am considering is a new GW binding for her slalom skis. She is always gong to want a pure piste ski for some of her skiing given her racing background. And frankly I am the same, I do a lot of off-piste but nothing beets a stiff thin waisted piste ski for days on the hardpack. They are Fisher RC4 FIS in length 150 with Z11 bindings.

@CEM, @spyderjon, Do you have any further advice? Either on the new Hawx Prime XTD being able to take the replacement alpine norm soles or a replacement GW compatible binding that will fit the Fisher skis (considering compromising existing holes etc also)?
snow conditions
@zikomo, Re the GW soles I linked to. I just went off the description provided by Anything Technical which says they fit all the prime models from 2018 onwards. As CEM says, they should fit fit but they might not have the cut-outs to allow access for a pin heel binding - but if you want to use a tech heel that's a couple of minutes with a Dremel and you're sorted. Personally I'd mod them like that as soon as I got them.

Your Fischer bindings are rebadged Head/Tyrolia bindings and any of there current range of GW bindings will fit in to the same mounting holes so it's a simple swap.
snow report
Aghhhh. This is becoming more of a nightmare. I got a set of there as suggested here:

https://www.skiequipmentuk.co.uk/product/brands/atomic/atomic-ski-and-ski-boot-spares/atomic-hawx-ultra-and-prime-2018-on-ski-boot-heels-and-toes-set/

But they don't fit the boot! The holes of the toe piece do not quite line up with the holes in the boot. I do not know if this is because they are the wrong version (Atomic website has a couple of versions and is very confusing).

@CEM, do you have any further advice on this? Is there anything you can check with Atomic/your own stock to see if it is actually possible to out Alpine soles on the Atomic Hawx Prime XTD 115W boot? It is mondo 24.5 so the "small" version.

@spyderjon, I have also emailed you to see if there is a binding you think would work with her current piste ski.

Anyone else have any suggestions on replacement bindings that would definitely fit the current holes? She currently has Fisher Z11 on a race plate. I think @gorilla, is right that the Fisher RC4 13 GW would fit the plate, I would need some way to be sure though (for example I don't know if the plate is adult or junior or indeed if there is any difference!

All help and advice really appreciated. We are (hopefully) flying to Italy on 11th Feb so need to get this sorted soon. We are going to Monterosa so really hoping for some snow so we get a bit of day trip/off piste too, and she gets the full benefit of her new boots!
snow conditions
zikomo wrote:
......@spyderjon, I have also emailed you to see if there is a binding you think would work with her current piste ski......

I've already told you that on my post above dated 25th Jan:
spyderjon wrote:
......Your Fischer bindings are rebadged Head/Tyrolia bindings and any of their current range of GW bindings will fit in to the same mounting holes so it's a simple swap.
latest report
@spyderjon, Thanks. My only real concern is that the bindings are mounted on race plates (one under the toe and one under the heel piece) and the toe and heel pieces are connected with a metal bar. I am a bit worried that only similar race bindings would work, assuming the metal bar has some important function! The RC4 Z13 Freeflex Race binding GripWalk bindings look very similar but are quite expensive (£229.95) but might be the best option. Will it be easy for me to swap myself? I can get some from Skibartlett but would also be happy to get them from you if that works.
latest report
zikomo wrote:
@spyderjon, Thanks. My only real concern is that the bindings are mounted on race plates (one under the toe and one under the heel piece) and the toe and heel pieces are connected with a metal bar. I am a bit worried that only similar race bindings would work, assuming the metal bar has some important function! The RC4 Z13 Freeflex Race binding GripWalk bindings look very similar but are quite expensive (£229.95) but might be the best option. Will it be easy for me to swap myself? I can get some from Skibartlett but would also be happy to get them from you if that works.

The metal bar does have a function but that's only on the Freeflex binding. If you'd have needed to fit a Freeflex model I would have said so. Their regular flat mounted GW bindings will work fine and all share the same mounting pattern. The Attack toes/AFD's are a bit wider than the AM model and will overhang the plate a bit but that's no problem. Getting narrow enough brakes might be an issue on the flat mounted bindings - I'm not sure how narrow their range go. The bindings are easy enough to swap out (No.3 pozi screwdriver is all that's required) providing you know how to set the forward pressure.

I'm unable to supply Head/Tyrolia bindings as I don't stock them as I don't like the way the brake lever screws go through the heel base to become the front mounting screws so in a big rearwards crash the levers jam in and instead of just getting a bent/broken brake lever it causes damaged to the ski mount. Their AT Demo binding is great though and has click attached brakes so I stock them and we use them on the Whitedot demo fleet.
snow report
@spyderjon, Thats great, thanks. Probably over-worrying about this as usual!

Will have a look at whats available, bearing in mind available brakes. Will probably go for the Z13 freeflex as on reflection saving £100 more or less on a binding is probably a false economy, and frankly it is not like me to be stingy about kit. She sometimes gets guilted into racing for the school if they are short (or desperate to field the strongest possible team), so probably best that she has a good set-up just in case.

Thanks for all your help as always.
ski holidays
Bump.
Reading this thread, is there any problem chaning over base plates on atomic hawx prime regular?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy