Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Live TR - Pozza di Fassa, Val di Fassa, Dolomites 15-22 Jan

Poster: A snowHead
Great report swskier - thanks.

Happy memories of our only 'proper' *Dolomites ski week - Vigo di Fassa in Jan 2020. The scenery is absolutely unbelievable and the lift pass is fantastic for visiting off the radar, as well as the more mainstream, ski areas.

(*After flying visits to the likes of Madonna di Campiglio and Cortina.)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Really enjoyed this review/thread so thanks!

May I ask to all:

Ive booked flights into Treviso but I am struggling nailing down where to stay.

I would rather a larger ski area over small, and we'll have a car so don't mind driving but if the lift is nearby then a plus.

I have been looking on airbnb/booking.com etc but just going round in circles as dont know where to choose.

Thank you for any suggestions!

edit: currently looking at Vigo di Fassa as its 2.5 hours drive from the airport and relatively cheap airbnbs (circa £100 a night)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mountainaddict, You're welcome.

@Tjhodgson_145, I don't know the town of Vigo particularly well, but it's so close to Pozza and looks a similar size.

Personally if/when I go back, i'd look to stay in Selva, Corvara or San Cassiano. They've all got better access to the Sella Ronda, but are all on the other side to Val di Fassa, so i've not skied their areas as much once you get away from the Sella Ronda.

The skiing at Vigo is small, likewise at Pozza, however you can get buses from both to Campitello or Canazei to access the Sella Ronda. You're also just round the corner from Carezza, which I haven't skied.

If I was staying in Val di Fassa again, i'd be tempted to stay in Moena. There's not skiing there, but it's a much bigger town, and you can jump on a bus to Lusia/San Pellegrino or Vigo/Pozza and the Sella Ronda.

If you don't want the hassle of buses (they're not that much hassle) then stay somewhere directly on the Sella Ronda if you want lots of skiing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
swskier wrote:
@mountainaddict, You're welcome.

@Tjhodgson_145, I don't know the town of Vigo particularly well, but it's so close to Pozza and looks a similar size.

Personally if/when I go back, i'd look to stay in Selva, Corvara or San Cassiano.

If you don't want the hassle of buses (they're not that much hassle) then stay somewhere directly on the Sella Ronda if you want lots of skiing.

Brill thank you.

So I definitly want to to do the Sella Ronda - would you say Selva, Corvara and San Cassiano are the best options for this?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Tjhodgson_145, If you want some life of an evening, although not apres jumping but with living people in and around restaurants and wine bars, then I would definitely recommend Cortina.
Skiing there is superb and as you have a car everywhere on Sella Ronda is accessible. Great town.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Tjhodgson_145,

Screenshot-2022-01-25-at-14-13-21

If you look at the map, I think there's the most amount of runs around the north side of the Sella Ronda, which is why i'd say Selva, Corvara and San Cassiano. They all seemed like bigger towns than Pozza for example.

Having only ever stayed in Pozza I can't say what any others are like of an evening, but i'd imagine more lively. Don't come though with visions that you're going to get major resorts in Austria/France levels of apres!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
if you have a car the size of ski area isn't an issue it's just how often you want to drive.

Also you don't say when you're going, how long for or how many people. We have an apartment for 2 in the middle of Corvara for eur129 pn for first 2 weeks in Feb (9.5 on trip advisor so should be decent).

We prefered Corvara because you're a short drive from Cortina, Kronplatz and you're on the SR but have also stayed in Canazei and had a great holiday. You can ski from one to the other in 1.5 to 2 hrs.

Val di Fassa is cheaper but is a bit further to drive if you want day trips to somewhere like Cortina. The further down the valley you get from Canazei the cheaper but the more effort required to get on the SR. However there is a ski bus and good car parking right next to all the main lifts so it's more a case of paying for a bit of convenience.

If you're competent skiers and are going for a week then personally I'd say any of the resorts on the SR will be fine so if you're on a budget Canazei is a good option. It's a small town with a few things to do and a bit of life plus an easy drive to Cortina (maybe just over an hour). On the SR you have access to ca 500km of runs without needing a car (or getting on a bus) so do a few days skiing around and if you want to explore further jump in the car for a day.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
richb67 wrote:
if you have a car the size of ski area isn't an issue it's just how often you want to drive.

Also you don't say when you're going, how long for or how many people. We have an apartment for 2 in the middle of Corvara for eur129 pn for first 2 weeks in Feb (9.5 on trip advisor so should be decent).

We prefered Corvara because you're a short drive from Cortina, Kronplatz and you're on the SR but have also stayed in Canazei and had a great holiday. You can ski from one to the other in 1.5 to 2 hrs.

Val di Fassa is cheaper but is a bit further to drive if you want day trips to somewhere like Cortina. The further down the valley you get from Canazei the cheaper but the more effort required to get on the SR. However there is a ski bus and good car parking right next to all the main lifts so it's more a case of paying for a bit of convenience.

If you're competent skiers and are going for a week then personally I'd say any of the resorts on the SR will be fine so if you're on a budget Canazei is a good option. It's a small town with a few things to do and a bit of life plus an easy drive to Cortina (maybe just over an hour). On the SR you have access to ca 500km of runs without needing a car (or getting on a bus) so do a few days skiing around and if you want to explore further jump in the car for a day.

Nicely summed up!

Unfortunately the Mrs is a teacher so we're bound to half terms.... Confused

I have booked 19th Feb - 26th Feb. She is intermediate and I would say I am more advanced. Ideally the resort is 2.5 hours from Treviso airport but 3 is fine if deemed worth it

So really, the only thing to decide on destination is the cost.

Higher cost option (max £1000 budget)
- close as possible to slopes
- few restaurants
- a larger ski area rather than small

Cheaper option (£400 - £600)
- Don't mind driving to the lift/gondola
- not bothered if have to also drive to restaurant or we would just self cater

Thank you
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Treviso is best placed for accessing Cortina, Alleghe/Civetta, Falcade/Passo S Pellegrino, S Martino di Castrozza and Arabba.

Anywhere else you have to do a mountain pass or go the long way round via Verona
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Val Gardena (Selva, then S Cristina & Ortisei, in that order of price) & Alta Badia (Corvara/Colfosco, S Cassiano, La Villa, in that order) areas are the priciest in the Dolomiti Superski area, because they offer easy access to the most skiing and spectacular scenery.

Cortina proper is pricey, as its glitzy hotels and designer shops are popular with well heeled Italians and has a spectacular setting. It is possible to do on a budget if you look carefully at places around.

Arabba next as it's on the Sella Ronda

Canazei, Campitello, Alba/Penia next, as all have access to Sella Ronda, also possibly the most spectacular corner of the Sella Ronda with the Sassolungo, Sella and Gran Vernel looming.

Further down Val di Fassa it gets cheaper the further from the Sella Ronda lifts you go, but it's an easy drive up and there are a number of worthwhile ski areas there, so places like Pozza, Vigo, Moena. From Treviso you either have to approach via Agordo-Falcade and over Passo San Pellegrino (usually kept open unless heavy snowfall) or the long way round via Verona-Ora-Cavalese

Val Di Fiemme (Predazzo, Cavalese) is cheaper still, but has less local skiing and a longer drive up to Sella Ronda.

San Martino di Castrozza stands alone, it's popular with Venetians, has scenery on steroids with the Pale mountains, so does have a bit of a premium, but not Cortina levels.

Falcade is probably the cheapest resort in the SE quadrant of the Dolomites with its own worthwhile ski area, plus a short hop across to Alleghe/Civetta.

Alleghe has a bit of cachet with its lakeside setting and pretty ski area. Other villages around are cheaper. Val di Zoldo on the other side of Civetta area (with easy access from Treviso) is popular with Poles, so busier than you would expect during their school hols which span most of Feb, but will they be coming this year?

In the far north, in the German-speaking area of Pustertal (Val Pusteria) there is a lot of reasonably priced, good standard accommodation, some nice towns, Bruneck-Brunico, Toblach-Dobbiaco, Innichen-San Candido plus many villages in between, with access to some good ski areas like Kronplatz and Drei Zinnen. Will the Germans be making the trek across this year? Might be quieter this year.

Of course if you don't mind driving a few miles to the lifts, then the VFM factor increases accordingly.

Hope that helps!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@luigi, you clearly now your stuff around the Dolomites!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've booked San Cassiano,we arrive this Saturday 19th.

I am about to book the ski pass and rather than the Superski pass, I thought id buy just the smaller resort pass for the first few days.

Can I still use my Alta Badia pass in San Cassiano?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
San Cass is part of the Alta Badia

"..The Alta Badia ski pass allows you to ride along 130 km of pistes between the resorts of Corvara, Colfosco, San Cassiano, La Villa and Badia on skis and snowboards and to reach the passes of Campolongo, Falzrego and Gardena (Gröndner Joch)....."

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 16-02-22 20:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tjhodgson_145 wrote:

Can I still use my Alta Badia pass in San Cassiano?

Yes it’s in the Alta Badia area so you are bordered by the Val Gardena and Arabba areas - but have a very extensive range including Corvara, Colfosco, La Villa, Badia (Pedraces) and the Pralongia Plateau to play with.

Personally I would by the full Super Dolomiti pass, it can’t cost a great deal more and you have no worries about straying into an area that is out of the range of the local area pass.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As Cp says - not much in the prices

312 euro 6day adult Alta Badia versus 339 euro SuperDolomiti
ski holidays
Ah ok - brill thanks so much for your help both.

Seriously excited!
ski holidays
@Tjhodgson_145, if you haven’t yet booked the pass, definitely go for the full Superdolomiti pass. If you don’t use it you will have lost a small amount (about €30 or so I think) but the extras that it opens up for you are hugely worthwhile. I’m in San Vigilio (Kronplatz) now but have spent today in San Cassiano. Tomorrow I will be sticking to Kronplatz again but on Friday plan to do the Sella Ronda. It’s worth the extra
snow conditions
JHS wrote:
@Tjhodgson_145, if you haven’t yet booked the pass, definitely go for the full Superdolomiti pass. If you don’t use it you will have lost a small amount (about €30 or so I think) but the extras that it opens up for you are hugely worthwhile. I’m in San Vigilio (Kronplatz) now but have spent today in San Cassiano. Tomorrow I will be sticking to Kronplatz again but on Friday plan to do the Sella Ronda. It’s worth the extra

yep gone for the full pass!
latest report
Enjoy. Got a few little tips.

The first little bit down away from Sorega towards Bioch/La Brancia lifts (run 23) and a short section of 7 were rated red in the past and are slightly tricky but nothing taxing really. The section of 8 just below lift 16, heading to 15 and Corvara, is equally steep.

Run 20 finishes slightly annoyingly a metre below the entry to lift 3, better to take 19 run or ski across and take a turn on lift 4 (best view on the left).

If aiming to cross La Villa & head towards Santa Croce, take the red as it takes you to a chairlift and saves walking across the car park at the bottom.

There are handy magic carpets at the bottom of lifts 15 and 29 but you do have to look for them.

Run 6 is pretty flat at the end so take 7 if heading for Pralongia 2, unless you fancy an arm workout.

All the runs around Pralongia are blue and lovely but the justly famous one is 28.

Heading back from Campolungo, the fast chair starts on the side of the road you are already on, no need to take your skis off to cross the road.

Run 15, lift 30 then run 12 always seemed a quieter route home than 9/10/11.

Most importantly, make time to stop for lunch, every refugio I tried was either very good, great or exceptional and there are a lot.

I did a TR about 3 yrs ago if you want some photos.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy