Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Factor Braehead goes into administration

Poster: A snowHead
AL9000 wrote:
skison wrote:
Administration has turned to liquidation…... Who knows what will happen next? Perhaps an established operator with experience of the business will step in and save the facility and jobs.

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/05138159/filing-history

Enter Snowheads! Blush
Yeah but probably not many, if we're realistic.

Some years back, after a bit of a fuss about us not doing stuff North of the border, I did at ski test there. We had a grand total of 9 participants Shocked (the smallest snowHeads event ever)
The overall cost to me was about £33 per head. So any idea of making it a regular event went straight in the liquidationiser.

Haggis_Trap wrote:
Hmmm... That is a shame. Though as a keen skier living in Scotland I have only skied there 5 or 6 times since it opened.

Where has it gone wrong?
For a hint, see your previous line.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

We had a grand total of 9 participants (the smallest snowHeads event ever)

We're a fickle lot in the land of kilt and haggis. But we do have the best ski area in the world (and yes, I will defend that remark) plus sH's favourite Grandma Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
admin wrote:
For a hint, see your previous line.

For sure. Went to snow dome in summer with both kids. Not much change from £100 for 2x hours. For similar money I can get a kids season pass for Glencoe or multiple sessions on dry slope.

Having said that I reckon braehead will eventy re-open. Current management were incompetent @rseholes by all accounts (see previous page). Apparently original business case was based on the slope being loss leader for the retail. Then Intu sold off the loss making part....

Rumour is they have a buyer but liquidators need to resolve mess over the current lease first. So hopefully it is not shut for good.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I must admit that I have always had a problem with a pricing structure that charges me for ski and boot hire when I bring my own kit Evil or Very Mad (obviously applies to all fridges) - they would certainly get more money out of me if that was changed.
Having said that I find the snow dome experience a little tedious - good time to work on technique but The Dolomites it is not.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's been poorly run for years and I avoid it as a result. I'm a member at Glasgow Ski Centre and would rather ski on plastic instead of the stuff they call snow. I'm just over £100 a year for unlimited use for my family at GSC but would be lucky to get 2 hours for us at Snozone for the same price.
If the new owners actually run it properly and freshen up the snow regularly I'd happily go for a slide now and again
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@admin, As one of the few (along with my daughter) who attended the ski test that year, Thank you.

Ellis Brigham ran a test weekend the following year, I think, but after that the new owners of the slope whoever they were put a stop to it.
I remember EB were very unhappy at the time that sledging and tubing during October school holidays was more important rolling eyes

Everytime we did a ski test at Braehead it cost us a new pair of skis.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Was in snowboard asylum at braehead today and word is a buyer is in the wings and they expect it to reopen, suggestion was that the buyer already ran indoor slopes elsewhere in UK
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@muppet, TSA were running a board test at the slope all day last Saturday.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kb36 wrote:
Was in snowboard asylum at braehead today and word is a buyer is in the wings and they expect it to reopen, suggestion was that the buyer already ran indoor slopes elsewhere in UK

Various rumours swirling, though historically snoZone had a right to buy back for a period. However recurring rumour is that the 'buyer' in the wings is Ice Factor and basically the complex owners aren't wearing it.

Could be good potential for Ellis Brigham to do something with one of the Scottish Ski Areas! Very Happy (as long as it's NOT Cairngorm Mountain Limited) Skullie
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Think further south wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
as long as it's NOT Cairngorm Mountain Limited
It would be great to see Cairngorm ran properly - with a focus on snowsports. It could be a winner! Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Anyone got an update on who is buying Snow Factor at Braehead? Anyone know any insider gossip from anywhere? I am guessing it will either be Hemel Hempstead (who recently bought Chill Factor in Manchester) or SnoZone (who used to own it originally) who are buying it.... Thanks in advance Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Welcome to snowHeads @MediumSpeedMiddleAged snowHead

I can't imagine snowcentre in Hemel would want to get involved. But I guess I could be proved wrong Confused
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowdomes are very high electricity users so energy price hikes must be taking their toll. Nothing wrong with dry slopes for learning to ski; much cheaper to run, less environmental harm and many venues give you much longer runs
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A cursory look online reveals Snozone MK has 100,000 visitors per annum. So double.

The obvious issue is that the boarding/skiing populace of Strathclyde and Central is far too low to support this niche operation.

The English indoor slopes are accessible to millions.
ski holidays
Nothing seems to be happening at the moment apart from dealing with the fallout of the closure - claims for unpaid wages etc being actioned. Still hope there will be a sustainable plan out in place by a new owner, but clearly one of the most lucrative business periods has just been missed.
ski holidays
Thanks guys, much appreciated. Many years ago a worked at Chill Factor for a few years then at SnoZone for a few more years, just minimum wage rental stuff mostly. Recently moved to Scotland with the idea I could work at Snow Factor/Braehead and it would see me out until retirement but now this happens... I think the issue for some (not all) of the indoor slopes is the lease payments to the owners; if you own the slope outright at least you can micro-manage good/bad seasons and still break even... but if you have *very* high lease payments regardless of how busy or quiet it is then, without a great catchment area like Manchester of Hemel/London, they're always going to struggle... Sad I hope they continue, with global warming it's good if we still have a community of snowsports enthusiasts who keep the sport alive... #worriedface
ski holidays
@MediumSpeedMiddleAged, lease payments are/were not the issue in this case.
snow report
Ice Factor is defunct - the circumstances outwith their control is that the owners of the building have changed the locks and evicted Ice Factor, well from the Ice Factor. Even the website has been suspended. Looks like a lot is catching up with Jamie Smith. Karma is a bitch. Laughing

Probably little bearing on what happens next at Braehead. There is a slim possibility of a short term operation of the slope there as it is still being keep refrigerated and looked after by the xsite building owners. It needs kept chilled and controlled or else the tenants will have to leave the building, but if nothing comes of a short term operation of the slope to buy some time it is sadly sounding like it is inevitably going to move towards being curtains for the whole xsite building over the summer.
ski holidays
@haggishunter, Thanks for the update man, I'm really really hoping it reopens by next Christmas as I've recently moved to the area and would love to work there... fingers-crossed Sad
ski holidays
Jeremy Hunt announced £63 million extra funding to go to leisure centres struggling to pay their energy bills... I wonder if any of that might trickle-down to indoor ski slopes and (possibly) help reopen Snow Factor @ Braehead...?
latest report
@MediumSpeedMiddleAged, -No. money is for England. Some money will come through to the Scottish Government via “consequentials”, but there is no obligation to spend it in the same way. In any event the money in England will be for public/community venues not commercial ones.
snow report
dangly bits
snow report
Bit of an update here: -

https://www.facebook.com/snowsportscotland

Looks like snowsports Scotland and maybe a few of the local race clubs have been in discussion with Intu (who own the slope) to reopen it just for corporate/race events (not for the general public). But after discussions Intu shareholders sound like they don't want to get involved in running themselves and would still prefer to give the lease to a company who will take over the whole slope...

But at least there's polite/constructive pressure from the higher-ups in the snowsports industry to reopen it... which is good Smile
ski holidays
@MediumSpeedMiddleAged, I was thinking about this the other day. It would make a great base for BASI.
latest report
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
@MediumSpeedMiddleAged, I was thinking about this the other day. It would make a great base for BASI.

Yeah it would be awesome, but I guess it needs to be a business that makes enough £££ to break-even first and then an BASI/organisation base second... that's unless the government subsidise it... which is unlikely in out cost of living crisis Sad
snow report
There's a petition to save the slope from closure. Some concerned parents started it. Interestingly, The Daily Record, in a wee article about the campaign, wrote that a spokesperson for Braehead said they were currently in discussion with potential new operators. Whetehr that's true or not is anyone's guess. Just thought I'd give everyone a little update.

https://www.change.org/p/save-scotland-s-only-indoor-snow-slope-from-closure
snow conditions
Welcome to snowHeads @justhuckandpray, snowHead

Ta for the update Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
Welcome to snowHeads @justhuckandpray,

Ta for the update

Thank you for the welcome! I lurk but this is my comment.
latest report
Cracking reason given by one of the petition’s supporters.

“This snow slope was my only getaway from a toxic and hurtful relationship with my wife. She would throw avalanches of insults at me. It gave me a chance to escape the torture that was staying in that house with her. Without this snow slope i will be nothing but a waste of space and a piece of trash for my wife to abuse. Please do not close this snow slope this will cause my life to slide downhill rapidly.“
snow report
Quote:
Cracking reason given by one of the petition’s supporters.

“This snow slope was my only getaway from a toxic and hurtful relationship with my wife. She would throw avalanches of insults at me. It gave me a chance to escape the torture that was staying in that house with her. Without this snow slope i will be nothing but a waste of space and a piece of trash for my wife to abuse. Please do not close this snow slope this will cause my life to slide downhill rapidly.“

I saw that comment! What a brilliant reason.
I actually wrote to the MSP for Renfrewshire about this and here's the response I got. It sounds like work is being done in the background to save the slope.

Thank you for your email to Natalie Don MSP.

Natalie is aware of the concerns relating to the ski slope and has been in continued discussions with the owners of the Xsite centre to ensure that all is being done to secure the long term future of the indoor ski slope.

Natalie has met with the owners of Xsite to discuss this and explore all possible options. Please be assured that Natalie is continuing to liaise with the Xsite management to ensure that the future of indoor snow sports is protected as she has been doing since news of the initial closure was announced last year . Natalie recognises the benefit that this asset contributes not just to her constituency but for the entire West of Scotland.

Natalie has received reassurances from the management at Xsite that they wish to maintain the Ski slope and have actively been seeking an operator to take it on. However, Natalie appreciates that there appears to be limited progress being made.

Please be assured that Natalie will do everything that she can to support the retention of the ski slope for Renfrewshire.

We trust that this response clarifies Natalie’s strong position on this matter. However, if you have any further queries please do not hesitate to get back in touch with us.
latest report
@justhuckandpray,it wasn’t Natalie Don’s husband I trust.
latest report
Good stuff guys! Lets get it back open Cool
snow conditions
Anybody heard any news, insider information? I feel like the clock is ticking to get it back open... Sad
snow conditions
@MediumSpeedMiddleAged, I spoke to someone yesterday and there is nothing new on the go. I can’t
Divulge my source.

The slope is being maintained so there is still the infrastructure.
latest report
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
@MediumSpeedMiddleAged, I spoke to someone yesterday and there is nothing new on the go. I can’t
Divulge my source.

The slope is being maintained so there is still the infrastructure.

Thanks man, here's hoping!
snow report
I feel like the doomsday clock must be nearly up for Snow Factor now Sad

All the other slopes are starting to recruit ready for the winter season, and presumably there would be at least a months worth of work at Snow Factor to get it back in shape after it was stripped out by administrators (and potentially an outstanding big electricity bill from previous owners still to be settled)....

I would imagine we'll get some sort of announcement sometime soon... either good or bad... Sad
ski holidays
@MediumSpeedMiddleAged, as I understand it the slope and the Pomas could be used tomorrow.

Unfortunately intu knocked back Snowsport Scotland using the slope over the summer, however into have to maintain it because the snow slope, the ice base and the refrigeration system is integral to the entire building.

Obviously staff, booking systems and hire equipment is needed, but the critical basic infrastructure is ready.
latest report
edited

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 27-09-23 14:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Ice factor up at Kinlochleven is set to reopen Smile ...a local climbing company called the 'Three Wise Monkeys Climbing' is buying the lease... so new management.

Might not have too much bearing on what happens at Braehead but it's positive news Smile

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-66795586?fbclid=IwAR0Q7but43BqnL25gxsoeAZ1-fIAjc2qpdjDI1PenWn4VA_Xuoox80gYbo0

I might be jumping the gun but both CFe and Hemel say 'exciting news coming on Sept 19th for winter sports enthusiasts' on their facebook pages.... dunno what that may be but we can only hope...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy