Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Factor Braehead goes into administration

Poster: A snowHead
Snow Factor Braehead bosses call in administrators

The future of one of Renfrewshire major attractions is under threat after administrators were called in. Renfrew's Snow Factor, which attracts around 50,000 skiers and boarders to the region each year, could be replaced with food outlets. Sad

The indoor ski slope at Xsite – the only one in Scotland with real snow – first opened in 2004 and was taken over in 2011 by new owners Ice Factor. It was re-branded by them as Snow Factor. Ice Factor also owns a winter sports centre in Kinlochleven and employs 138 staff.

Like all leisure attractions, Snow Factor Braehead had to close due to covid in March 2020. It reopened in December that year but had to close again in January 2021 due to another national lockdown.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is there anywhere in the UK that actually makes money from skiing rather than loses it ?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Think Hemel rakes it in!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Think Hemel rakes it in!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Steve Angus wrote:
Think Hemel rakes it in!

When they're open...not exactly been the best couple of years! rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hmmm... That is a shame. Though as a keen skier living in Scotland I have only skied there 5 or 6 times since it opened.

Where has it gone wrong?

- Can't help but feel it should have been built half way between Edinburgh and Glasgow.

- If there is snow most people would rather go up north during winter to Cairngorm / Glencoe etc.

- For year round training with kids Hillend is a better facility (longer slope, outdoors, more accessible). The Glasgow dry slopes are also strong club environments.

- Two hours skiing with 2x kids won't leave much change from £100.

- Covid has clearly been nail in the coffin. They have hardly been open for two years now
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There’s also the tax tribunal thing which was mentioned on here previously…
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is slope still open while administrators figure out what to do?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Is slope still open while administrators figure out what to do?

Still possible to book on the website so hopefully it is.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would not be so quick to judgement. The story is not very well researched. For example the slope opened in 2006 not 2004 and there have been many and complex twists and turns in ownership.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Ski lots, no judgement here, just hope that skiing continues there although the quote in the article is slightly concerning

“Renfrewshire North and West MSP Natalie Don said she was concerned about the plans, amid reports the slope could be closed and replaced with food and drink outlets.

She said: “It is very concerning to hear of the proposal to replace the indoor ski slope with food and drink outlets within the XSite complex at Braehead.

“This will result in the loss of a vital community asset which has and continues to benefit the physical and mental health of thousands of people across the area.

“I will be writing to the XSite management company, APAM to request a meeting to discuss these proposals further and emphasise the importance of retaining this resource which is enjoyed by the Renfrewshire community.”
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Always like “Amid reports …” or unsubstantiated rumours. Where are Xsite going to conjure up more food and drink outlets from in the present climate? A number of the units are already empty. If, and it is a big if the slope were to go it would have a huge impact on the existing food outlets and the likes of EB, Trespass and Tog 24.

The current unfortunate lack of snow in the highlands is likely to have a positive short term effect on the slope.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not enough revenue. Costs and maintenance too high, overpriced for those who go so they are not motivated to return, Glencoe up the road……not that hard to work out why it’s not viable imv.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I really hope it can be saved. It's great for kids and disability snow sport UK are based there I think.
We went spur of the moment last weekend, I watched with my wee one and partner had ski. £43 I think it cost for 2 hours, far too much imo, and only 1 of the 2 tows going so a bit of queue time in there as well. They also charge extra for hiring kit where as it used to be included with a pass.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@alasdair.graham, I would not pay to hire that kit ...
snow conditions
alasdair.graham wrote:

We went spur of the moment last weekend, I watched with my wee one and partner had ski. £43 I think it cost for 2 hours, far too much imo, and only 1 of the 2 tows going so a bit of queue time in there as well. They also charge extra for hiring kit where as it used to be included with a pass.

Is it too much though? Similar 2hrs at Hillend would be £38, though you get kit hire included, such as it is. Disappointing only 1 of the pomas was running.
snow report
I have been a few times, if it was on the other side of Glasgow it would have had more footfall, but thats all if/buts/maybes.

Last time I was there was year before lockdown. Being self emp, I was there midweek and was a bit surprised at how quiet it was - I kinda expected that lots of local schools would be there for PE etc.

I dont use Hillend either though despite it being 15 minutes from my home. Not a fan of Dendix and would rather wait for the real stuff in Coe or Shee.

I hope they survive as is and that means having a sensible administrator. That area doesnt really need more Wagamamas or Tony Macaronis..........
snow report
I used to go all the time. It will be missed.

I wonder if that is why Ellis Brigham are running the ski bus to Glencoe/Glenshee
latest report
Is it too much though? Similar 2hrs at Hillend would be £38, though you get kit hire included, such as it is. Disappointing only 1 of the pomas was running.[/quote]

I understand why they have to charge that amount but for me it's too much, they used to do 4 hours on a Mon and other evening I think for £20ish- at that price for me it's worth having a shot now and again. Hillend is a much better experience for a non beginner but £38 is steep shocked it that price now, I haven't been since the big snow year.
ski holidays
@alasdair.graham, yes, £38 for 2hrs for an adult + child. Maybe I misunderstood your original post, I thought it was £43 for adult + child. If £43 just for 1 adult plus maybe equipment hire, that’s ridiculous
ski holidays
The story was first ran in the Glasgow Times who have now taken said story down. The story was not factually correct mentioning a roller skating rink and appears to be poorly researched and or edited. It has now been picked up by other media outlets and regurgitated. Research reveals Snow Factor ltd are in administration although the ski slope is now run by another company. I suggest there may be reasons for such a change and can see the indoor slope is still operating as normal.
I would beware of relying on the media reports to be accurate or factual.
Journalists selling stories I am sure are all good well intentioned individuals who can be relied on not to twist, misquote, pedal inaccuracies, and misrepresent the facts to the reading public Laughing
snow conditions
Hopefully it's old news then! Although they need to sort their pricing out.

@DidierCouch,
Yep was £43 for one adult, she took her own boots so would have been even more I think without those.
snow conditions
The company 'Snow Factor Ltd' is in administration, this is correct, this is the entity in various legal challenges with HMRC.

From the depths of the administrators report. The business was transferred to Ice Factor International Ltd on 1st September 2020.
latest report
As I was saying earlier….
Some of the comments on here remind me of when Woolworths went bust. Lots of people bemoaned it’s loss, but said they hadn’t used it for years.
Yes it is more expensive than a dry slope, it has a far smaller catchment and those that can get to it have a greater choice of accessible adventure sporting opportunities and overall those in the catchment area are less prosperous. When the 3 escape slopes were one it was said that income from Castleford was 2/3 of MK and Braehead was 2/3 of Castleford. If more people used it, kit would be updated more often and pricing would be more competitive. The place is not owed a living, but use it or loose it.
latest report
Poor location - surely somewhere near Cumbernauld ish would have been far better for catchment?

Then at least it would be accessible to skiers of Perth and Stirling as welas the obvious.
snow report
They went in to administration on 22nd Oct 2021. It's taken some time for this to be picked up.

Documents are public for those interested in reading the facts. Administration was forced upon them due to a large unpaid power bill. In true Jamie Smith fashion even that is of course disputed. Everyone is wrong apart from Smith. He won a battle and lost the war with HMRC which didn't help either.

The deadline of 5th January has passed for a positive resolution to administration.

Public documents are here
https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/05138159/filing-history
latest report
Administration has turned to liquidation.

The Smith era is coming to an end; he did well to pull the wool over so many eyes for such a long time but not HMRC/power company/landlord (it appears he is squatting from the administrators report). Who knows what will happen next? Perhaps an established operator with experience of the business will step in and save the facility and jobs.

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/05138159/filing-history
latest report
There is apparently a court case this week. I’m also given to understand that the operators of the whole site can exercise a clause to take the slope back into direct management. Without the slope there could be a domino effect with EB, Tog 24, Trespass, Evans all going followed by the restaurants.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skison wrote:
Administration has turned to liquidation…... Who knows what will happen next? Perhaps an established operator with experience of the business will step in and save the facility and jobs.

Enter Snowheads! Blush
ski holidays
Is it still open until something gets sorted out or is it now closed?
snow conditions
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
Is it still open until something gets sorted out or is it now closed?

It is open. I just wouldn't be rushing to buy any vouchers or forward pay for anything at this stage. The transition may not be immediate even if a takeover appears on the horizon from any interested parties.
ski holidays
Ski lots wrote:
There is apparently a court case this week. I’m also given to understand that the operators of the whole site can exercise a clause to take the slope back into direct management. Without the slope there could be a domino effect with EB, Tog 24, Trespass, Evans all going followed by the restaurants.

No idea and not mentioned in the reports.

Which case? As I understand the squatting case is in February to remove the current Snow Factor Ops Ltd/IFIL entity from the premises. P6 of the document posted on 27th Oct.
snow conditions
@skison, my understanding is that the case surrounds unpaid debts and includes HMRC.
snow report
Snow Factor Braehead closed from today until further notice....
ski holidays
snowrider wrote:
Snow Factor Braehead closed from today until further notice....

Good job I visited yesterday to prep the ski legs for coming season Blush
ski holidays
Saved once already but not this time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-63648794
latest report
My understanding is that the owners of the wider complex are looking to get the slope reopened as soon as practical. All sorts of obstacles, so it will not be immediate, but without the slope it calls into question the viability of the outdoor shops and if they go the restaurants, so fingers crossed.
ski holidays
Such a shame. How much food and drink can we all consume??!!’
snow report
skison wrote:
They went in to administration on 22nd Oct 2021. It's taken some time for this to be picked up.

Documents are public for those interested in reading the facts. Administration was forced upon them due to a large unpaid power bill. In true Jamie Smith fashion even that is of course disputed. Everyone is wrong apart from Smith. He won a battle and lost the war with HMRC which didn't help either.

The deadline of 5th January has passed for a positive resolution to administration.

Public documents are here

Just reading through the documents now, such as where he tried to sell the assets for a quid for his new firm. Administrators seem to be having none of it!

Edit, just reading through more and OMG it's a mess. Smith seems to be handling this well - Lombard are recovering the grooming machine by direct action as management won't give access to it and have no rights to it whilst owing a fortune on it still - and there are accusations of undervaluing assets contrary to the Insolvency Act, and even that the occupants (Snow Factor Ops Limited) have no rights to occupy the premises and so the landlord (Intu) is taking legal action.. The behavior of the management here is mind blowing. Wow!
latest report
Quote:

Just reading through the documents now, such as where he tried to sell the assets for a quid for his new firm. Administrators seem to be having none of it!

Edit, just reading through more and OMG it's a mess. Smith seems to be handling this well - Lombard are recovering the grooming machine by direct action as management won't give access to it and have no rights to it whilst owing a fortune on it still - and there are accusations of undervaluing assets contrary to the Insolvency Act, and even that the occupants (Snow Factor Ops Limited) have no rights to occupy the premises and so the landlord (Intu) is taking legal action.. The behavior of the management here is mind blowing. Wow!

rolling eyes
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy