Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who else who has NOT booked France is thinking of booking 15th Jan

Poster: A snowHead
We had a booking in La Tania and Eurostar all sorted for the 15th, so had already cancelled the Eurostar (well actually they cancelled our inward trains) and claiming a refund. The apartment offered to postpone to 2023. But it’s still available, it has secure parking too.

So we are thinking a last minute booking maybe in order. What have I forgotten?

Folkestone hotel Friday 14th - refundable
Eurotunnel - not booked checked prices for 6am
15 min antigen walk in test - £44.98 each but don’t think we have time to wait for one to be sent.

Can book skis, lift pass online before we go

Need to do PLF and upload it all to eurotunnel before we go.

Can book return hotel when we decide on a stopover place.

Checking with dog walker that she’s still free, as we cancelled that too.

What have I forgotten? I am a planner and NEVER book last min.
Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Lucywuk, thing is, if they lift restrictions to travel, they might still insist that you have to isolate for 48hrs and take a test.

My OH who travelled out landing at Lyon 11:00 29th had a visit from the Gendarmes, 10:30 the next day, who then advised her where to email the test result to, and that email address was the local gendarmerie, she then went to the pharmacy for a test 11:00 the following day.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We were going tomorrow. Now thinking about going next Sunday instead if we will be allowed.

Would have to book tunnel (we do have credit towards it from our original booking), insurance, plus any testing requirements for two fully vaccinated adults. We are staying with relations, so no accommodation worries and all our skis are there. Hoping they will beat us out there by a couple of days and take our skis down to be serviced after being stored so long. We had lift passes booked, I've enquired to see if they can be moved. Car is good to go, winter wheels on as run them all winter anyway.

I've got little ones headteacher on board for a last minute decision so all good there, he is under the age of any testing and vaccination requirements.

We work in a small team of 3, other staff member is ok with us doing last minute and he will cover us.

I'm also a planner (I love a list!) and so I am currently planning multiple options and am now also debating what I have forgotten to do.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Weathercam, tourism mandating quarantine isn’t tourism. I would be amazed if they kept that in place.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Timmycb5, the UK have only just done away with the 48hr test and France is a good few weeks behind the UK with numbers still rising, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's still a degree of restrictions in place if only to show that they're not opening all the doors completely.

Hope I'm wrong?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@weathercam good point. But they are not doing that now for fully vaccinated and boosted from other countries. So it would make no difference to open to brits and then put that criteria on

However we have not booked anything yet, just pencilled in the apartment. And checked prices/times on the rest of it.

I did forget snow chains.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We’re booked for Sat 15th morning Eurotunnel and antigen tests arrived today. If it relaxes sufficiently (even with 48hr quarantine we might go) we’ll test Friday, set off crack of dawn Saturday, tunnel 0930 ish. Arrive Chatel 1900ish. Staying in own apartment and travelling in own car we can cancel at short notice and just shift the tunnel booking (it’s the last of our deferred 2019/20 frequent traveller tickets). Changing to winter wheels/tyres tomorrow!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Are all weather or 4 season tyres good enough or should we buy some snow chains/socks and keep in the car (return if not used?)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mostly you’ll be OK with all season but you might need chains/socks if it is significantly snowy (and you’ll hope it is!).

Since I’ve had the car (Octavia Scout, 4WD with winter tyres) I’ve never fitted my chains, even in a few inches of snow.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well actually already booked - when France closed down my wife moved our Eurotunnel bookings to 16th. Fingers crossed it can actually happen, have asked C19 Testing to cancel PCR tests and assign a PLF reference to lateral flow tests we have already received.

(Otherwise it will be Plan C - or is it D or E by now?)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Eurotunnel booking has been moved for about the 4th time to Friday morning. We are optimists. We have a load of C19 antigen test kits which were bought when we thought we needed them for our New year returnees, so we are ready to pull the trigger the moment we know it’s on.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lucywuk wrote:
Are all weather or 4 season tyres good enough or should we buy some snow chains/socks and keep in the car (return if not used?)

Last Sunday you would be fine, today no way, you would need chains! I'm sat here watching the snow fly past the windows horizontally, the snow plough came up half an hour ago, you wouldn't know he had been now, and the forecast is for heavier snow this afternoon. But tomorrow is bright and sunny from the off!

The hairpin bend by us is covered in around 30 sms of snow, no one has bothered driving up past us so far apart from the snowplough. The guys from the ski shop next door must have walked up from the main car park!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Lucywuk, full winter tyres or chains are compulsory in the mountains in France during the winter .
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm holding off booking a last minute package with either Crystal or Inghams to Austria (I've never done a package before!) - was planning on going sat 15th
May be brave and wait and see what France decides as would prefer to jump in car and head to France.
Its just the 48 hour PCR for Austria thats a total pain to organise last minute!!
We at least have the following week as a fall back if we dont depart for somewhere on 15th
Not sure if this is fun or not!!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
philipb wrote:
@Lucywuk, full winter tyres or chains are compulsory in the mountains in France during the winter .

There’s an exemption for “M&S” (mud and snow, not marks and sparks) tyres for a couple of years I think so they don’t have to be full winters yet.
latest report
Im hovering over a holiday on 22nd
latest report
Lucywuk wrote:
I did forget snow chains.

Based on the good advice I've had on another thread about a similar drive on M&S tyres in March, definitely get the socks (or chains)!
snow report
Thanks @skimum1 bought snow socks today.
Car ready to go
Downloaded TAC app and uploaded QR codes
Need to get the French forms to complete tomorrow (May as well do that
In advance)

And booked a summer holiday to corfu Very Happy
snow report
Are the links skiing from Switzerland into France (PDS) still open? If so are there any checks?

Thanks

(PS - not so that I can rule break, not due into PDS until late Feb. I’m just back from Sauze D’Oulx and we were told that the links to Montgenevre were closed)
ski holidays
andy from embsay wrote:
philipb wrote:

There’s an exemption for “M&S” (mud and snow, not marks and sparks) tyres for a couple of years I think so they don’t have to be full winters yet.

there
Having been in Tignes in Decemeber, I can tell you the Gendarmes do not let you up the road without winter tyres on.
ski holidays
nevis1003 wrote:
andy from embsay wrote:
philipb wrote:

there
Having been in Tignes in Decemeber, I can tell you the Gendarmes do not let you up the road without winter tyres on.

Thanks we have all seasons or M&S I think plus snow socks. We are only going up to La Tania and we meet the rules don’t we?
latest report
Lucywuk wrote:
nevis1003 wrote:
andy from embsay wrote:
philipb wrote:

there

Thanks we have all seasons or M&S I think plus snow socks. We are only going up to La Tania and we meet the rules don’t we?

Yes you would meet the current requirements

From November 1, 2021, road users are required to equip their car with snow chains, socks, winter tires or snow tires during the winter period (November 1 - March 31).
ski holidays
Yes, I meant winter tyres or chains, some socks seem to be allowed too, but a lot of them were self destructing en route Very Happy So, if you have M&S tyres without the Snowflake the Gendarmes made you put Chains on.If you didn't have them you were sent back. I had a 4x4 with proper winter tyres and didn't need chains, nor did my car go into 4X4 mode, remained in 2 wheel drive. I also saw quite a few people whose chains had come off or were broken because there was snow on the road from Bourge, so a long way to drive on chains. Can't understand anybody not having winter tyres in the Alps, chains are a potential nightmare!
snow report
We were fortunate to have had a couple of weeks in France up to Christmas. Originally hoping to return tomorrow but was put on hold. Given all the optimism about the 15th we have now pencilled in the 19th. Let’s hope everyone can get away from this Saturday.
latest report
@nevis1003, presumably non-winter + chains is fine?
ski holidays
Frank Lundy wrote:
Are the links skiing from Switzerland into France (PDS) still open? If so are there any checks?

Thanks

(PS - not so that I can rule break, not due into PDS until late Feb. I’m just back from Sauze D’Oulx and we were told that the links to Montgenevre were closed)

Ah, interesting. Pushed back our trip to France to March and booked for Bardonnechia instead this weekend and was hoping to pop over to Montgenevre…. so …. we shall see if France relaxes its rules imminently.
ski holidays
Fingers are poised!!
Eurotunnel booked refundable as I’ve seen prices rise over the last week. Interesting biggest price increase is midnight to 6am Saturday 15th

So companies are upping prices today with expectations of announcement.
snow report
Quote:

So companies are upping prices today with expectations of announcement.

It's all automated and supply / demand based these days, the more people book the more the price goes up and vice versa. I suspect the price increases you're seeing are the impact of people such as yourself booking in anticipation of the changes.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boom Eh oh! we are all systems go!!!!

6:20 eurotunnel. Skiing by Sunday
Happy days.
snow report
Hallelujah! V pleased for you and for those, unlike me, who didn’t bail out. I will go in March instead. Am also pleased to be able to ski for a day in Montgenevre next week now. A lot of happy people on here now as well! Mind you, with infections three times the amount of U.K., it’s us that should probably be careful………!!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy