Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Live-ish Trip Report: 2 months in Aosta

Poster: A snowHead
The pandemic 'new normal' of working from home and the joy of the teams meeting means that my husband and I are very lucky people and have realised that for now, we can be where we want. Both self employed, both remote workers, and both keen to milk this as much as we can! So after some research and thought, we've handed in notice on our flat in the UK and will be spending Feb and March in Aosta to explore the valley.

Even though there's still a month to go, as a break from the packing up and admin this is the start of what I hope will be a fairly regular, rolling TR for our time there. Also hoping that there will be good hints and tips from fellow Snowheads for things we must not miss and places we must eat! snowHead Would particularly love a good spa recommendation as a massage and sauna is a traditional part of our ski trips.

As background, we're two decidedly dodgy intermediates with black run delusions, and last time we skied was March 2020 in Garmisch, on which trip my husband broke his shoulder. He's all fixed with a few screws, and we're looking forward being able to regularly ski and improve (and boy do I need the improvement...). I'm also looking to try a bit of cross country skiing as I like punishment, and really want to get fitter. Laughing

Our travel plans out have already been changed due to the French no-go situation; it may be ok by then but we took the safe option of changing from the train out to a flight. The train out was quite exciting - Eurostar to Paris, then Paris to Turin with a night in Chambery to break it up, then Turin to Aosta - so a bit gutted to lose that but hopefully we can do the return this way. As it is, a Sleazy flight to Milan and a three hour train journey over to Aosta will have to do, first world problems eh!

As for access to skiing, we have an apartment booked which is five minutes from the big lift up to Pila. We hope to get a couple of hours skiing in the morning, taking advantage of the time difference, and work during the week, and then explore other ski areas in the valley on days off and weekends. My work is more part time in nature so on my free days I'll give the cross country a go! Our research so far has shown that we can get to Cervinia and Courmayeur relatively easily by public transport, and there's a bus to Cogne for the cross country tracks.

Aosta has popped up a few times on 'where to go for a month' type threads on here, so would be really interesting to hear from anyone who has done a similar trip, or has spent time in the area. We're fully jabbed and recently boostered up so not envisaging any problems with the green pass, and have taken out Snowcard insurance (we used it in Garmisch and they were excellent) which has decent covid and trip cancellation cover. Sure there are things we've not thought of that need to be considered on a long trip...

Will follow with a post about what and how we booked if it's of interest - particularly the train as I know a few people are keen on a bit of slower travel. Roll on Feb 4th... and fingers crossed this actually happens, the world is a very changeable place right now!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you are close to the lift to Pila then you are also close to the big supermarket next to it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ElzP, enjoy the trip, will be interested to read how it goes when it comes to the time.

La Thuile will probably be similarly easy to get to as well, would imagine a similar journey time to Courmayeur. (he says having never done any of those journeys)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sounds a nice idea, @ElzP, looking forward to hearing how it goes. There's a lot to be said for not having to cram in max skiing hours every day, regardless of the weather.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't know you ElzP but dislike you intently already Very Happy wink That sounds amazing.
I'd imagine there would be a bus vailable up the hill out of Aosta to Crevacol also?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I spent a week in Aosta Valley just before something called Covid hit in late Feb 2000! we scrambled out as they were shutting down the region behind us.

Bit of a cut paste and edit from another old thread....

Aosta town makes great base to visit a lot of resorts and give some variety. Pila resort is right on the doorstep (couple of ski hire places at foot of the gondola if needed), and La Thuile/La rosiere, Courmayer, Champoluc/Monterosa, Cervinia all within 45/60 mins drive. We did all of those bar Cervinia in last years half term (fly/drive) and had a great week. All good resorts, not particularly crowded / queue-y despite HT, with a mix of terrains, plenty of cruisy blue/ red with some more challenging stuff for those that want it, and great cheap food etc on the mountain.

Champoluc/Monterosa was truly stunning on sunny day, but you're some way out from the other resorts if you base yourself there, and if its windy etc then the access over the valley tops is very high and prone to closure.

There are also stacks of small local resorts to explore.

We hired a car, I have no idea how good / frequent public transport is, but if skiing for 2 months I'd want to be able to access more than just Pila and Courmayer which is on the same trainline as Aosta; Cervina looks like a 2hr double bus journey - so a car of some sorts would be useful I reckon. Pila on your doorstep is ideal for a couple of hours weekday morning and back to work, but you will defo want to explore elsewhere at the weekend.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rjs, useful, thanks! Have just spent a happy five minutes reading the reviews of that supermarket on google (somebody describes it as a 'truly astonishing supermarket' Shocked ), sounds like the perfect place for all my cheese needs!

@swskier, We've struggled to find a bus timetable that goes to La Thuile although there's probably an interchange at the end of the valley; we'll be continuing our not boring at all bus research over the next couple of weeks and no doubt kind locals will help us out when we're there. @MHskier, we've not researched the routes to the smaller areas yet though aware that they are many and varied and we'd like to catch 'em all. And sorry, you can take pleasure in our downfall when it all goes tits up. Laughing

@pam w, I'm looking forward to that, I hate skiing in bad weather and there's always that pressure to get everything ticked off when you're there for a week.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ElzP, For La Thuile you might need to change buses in Pre-Saint-Didier, I'm fairly sure there is a direct bus between Courmayeur and La Thuile so maybe look for times of that.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ElzP, I often use https://www.rome2rio.com/ as a starting point.

That's suggesting Aosta - Pré-Saint-Didier - La Thuile

So one change. Says 52 mins to Pré-Saint-Didier then 16 mins to La Thuile, just depends how long the connection is at Pré-Saint-Didier.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@t44tomo, thanks so much for that info. What we've seen suggests that the train line between Aosta (well, a bit further up from Aosta) and Courmayeur is closed, so it's a bus up there (looks like this was a relatively recent closure, bit of a shame!). On the flip side, it's a short train and then a bus up to Cervinia (via Chatillon) - timings seemed to be 1 to 1.5 hours so doable. But I think we'll certainly hire a car for the odd weekend so we can more easily get to the more out of the way places, especially Monterosa. We may also splash on the odd night in a hotel for that purpose!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rjs, @swskier, fab, thanks both - @swskier, of course Rome2Rio is far too obvious a solution for me to have thought of looking there, it's all been trying to translate Italian bus timetables... Laughing rolling eyes Doh!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hello from East Sussex, too. I am insanely jealous of your trip and hope you have a lovely time. Went to La Thuile as a mixed-ability group a few years ago and had a lovely time, cut and paste from an old post here:

The connection to La Rosiere is really good fun and suitable for most abilities if you budget the time. When you stop for lunch in La Rosiere you realise how much cheaper food and drink is in La Thuile. Within the town in La Thuile there are several nice restaurants at a range of prices, all were very good as you'd expect in Italy. La Thuile is also quite a charming village at night, the walk from the resort into town is very pretty. We didn't stay out late but there didn't seem to be much nightlife beyond a decent cocktail bar/restaurant that did nice drinks. Also a good cheese shop within the resort complex if I recall. The skiing was good, and for the not so confident skiers lessons were reasonably priced and easy to book. I was at the more experienced end of our group and really enjoyed the more challenging runs which are exhilarating - one of two of the black runs are just outstanding. Some have been used in World Cups.

Also, there is a really cool bar/restaurant off one of the red runs called the Offshore Bar that has very quirky and interesting items of decoration. Great for a hot chocolate.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looking forward to reading this over the next few months. Hope you have a great trip! Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sparklingspringwater, hello fellow Sussex-ite! Thank you - I can't quite believe we've bitten the bullet and are doing it to be honest!

Cheers for all the info on La Thuile, it sounds absolutely lovely. Your mention of a cheese shop has me hooked, and I'm intrigued by the Offshore bar. Sounds like it may be worth a hotel night if we can swing it to get the evening charm.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@denfinella, cheers! Are you still thinking of your March trip to the area (sure it was you asking questions on another thread I read recently)? If so I shall look forward to reading your report, they are always so good and detailed. Anything you want finding out while we're there and before you go, just shout. Very Happy
snow conditions
Sounds great, but sadly something many of us can't do now due to not having the right to work in the EU. My company are really hot on this now, I guess since they realised it could rebound on them as well as the individual.

Have a great time! I enjoyed my day skiing in Pila a few years ago and still remember the beautiful view of the Matterhorn.
snow report
@sugarmoma666, yes, we're extremely lucky that our circumstances/work situations allow us to do this; we have further plans for a year elsewhere as 'digital nomads'. We've heard from others who have been caught out and had to leave their employment.

Hopefully we will indeed have a great time, be interesting to see how we manage working when there's skiing out there. Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

I think we'll certainly hire a car for the odd weekend

That might need some research. We once broke down in Aosta, on the way south (clutch went on a roundabout). When we eventually got the car taken to a local garage (a crap garage, as it turned out, probably run by the brother of the breakdown truck driver where everyone refused to speak even a word of French, though that's a very French speaking part of Italy....) we had to be driven at scary speeds to a just-about-to-close car rental depot, miles and miles away.
snow report
@pam w, ouch, we'll definitely look further into this! That's very useful to know. There's a europecar at Aosta airport according to google, fingers crossed that will do if there's nothing in town.
ski holidays
I suspect there are not a lot of cars available, and nothing locally at nil notice. If you book in advance it might well be fine.
latest report
@ElzP, Is Italy good for "digital nomads"? I am self-employed too but don't think I could work in France.

Another thread on what you needed to do to set this up could be useful to other people.
snow report
@rjs, it isn't, we're off to Croatia for the digital nomad thing as they offer a temporary residence as long as your earnings are in the UK.
For this trip we're just working from a different home, so we've not done anything other than make sure we have a uk address for invoicing etc - advice is tax situation doesn't need to change for this duration. I don't think Italy offer a digital nomad residency.
snow report
@ElzP, HI another envious snowhead here! We’ve been to Courmayuer for the past 5 years, and haven and days out to Pila and La Thuile, we really like the area. Pila is a big destination for Interski school trips, and the gondola can get busy with them, if you get there as soon as it opens you’ll miss them as they get bused in from hotels the valley. The gondola takes 20 mins each way, if you could do some work on your way back down that could extend your ski time. Maybe get friendly with one of the bars and see if they will look after your laptop or see if a locker would be OK.
If time in the morning is tight, once off the gondola go straight on to the chair just down hill and take run no2 its a lovely run and is my favourite in Pila.
The train to Courmayuer stopped a few years ago, so bus to Courmayuer, same bus and change at Pre St Didier for La Thuile, watch the link over to La Ros it can close in poor weather at short notice.
Pre St D has a natural thermal spa, they have some open air pools so you can star watch any soak at the same time
As your there for a while, do the trip up Monte Bianco on the skyway on a clear calm day, it’s a stunning trip and is included on some lift passes.
Our favourite places for food on the mountain are in Courmayuer Chez Olier under the Pra Neyron chair for pizza and pasta and some local dishes on a lovely sunny deck, best to book seats at weekends, and Pre Pascal on the Val Veny side just below the gondola, they do some lovely local Aosta dishes, it’s canteen style service with retro interior, if you can eat outdoors the view of Monte Bianco is stunning. In La Thuile try Roxys.
snow report
ElzP wrote:
@denfinella, cheers! Are you still thinking of your March trip to the area?

Well remembered! Yes, fingers crossed...

Edit: Out of interest, where did you book your apartment? We also have one booked fairly close to the Pila gondola - could it be the same one?
snow report
@geoffknight, Thanks so much, great knowledge - and that spa looks lovely, will be going there!

@denfinella, airbnb - it's just over Osteria dell'Oca over the other side of the train station from the gondola. If it's the same one we're in trouble! Laughing We went basic as it was affordable for the long stay.
snow report
@ElzP, sounds great, I love the Aosta region - Courmayeur is a lovely little resort. Maison Vielle, Chateau Branlant and Capitan del Alpes were all regular stops for food, and the hot chocolate at Chez Croux is excellent.

The Monteorsa ski are is just off the Aosta valley and verymuch worth visiting, not sure what public transport is like though

Sorry to add a negative point but one thing to remember is that thanks to the joy of Brexit, if you hold a UK passport you no longer automatically have the right to work in Europe - and as far as I'm aware that includes remote working for a company based in the UK, even for just a short time like a couple of months. You may have considered this already and decided the chances of it being an issue are low, or perhaps you are lucky enough to have sorted it already (via a visa or the joy of a non-uk passport).

Havng said that, hope you have a great trip. Remember to keep updating us
snow report
ElzP wrote:
@denfinella, airbnb - If it's the same one we're in trouble! Laughing We went basic as it was affordable for the long stay.

Oh yeah, good point. Duuuh Laughing

We're very close by so I might ask you some boring questions about parking / restaurant recommendations nearer the time.
ski holidays
@nbt, thanks for the tips!

On the remote working, we've taken some professional advice on that and I'll update as to how that works out!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well here we are - we arrived in Aosta on Friday via Easyjet to Milan and the train across to Aosta. We've managed a couple of days (half days... Embarassed ) skiing up in Pila as well so far so here's some first impressions.

Flight into Milan from Gatwick very easy, passport queue on a Thursday afternoon took maybe 10-15 minutes but I would imagine is longer on a weekend as there are only 4 desks. Straight on the coach to Milan Centrale (5 euros pp) which was direct and quick. NYX hotel near the station would have been fine except for defunct aircon vs trams and drunks. Milan is a funny city, been twice now and for some reason it just doesn't click. I'm not designer enough maybe! NehNeh FFP2 masks on trains, in buildings and most outside spaces, only one hospitality venue checked our super-green. Adherence to the rules seemed high.

Train to Aosta via Chivasso, 3.5 hours approx with the change. Would have been straightforward but the second train was delayed. Still, no bother, our airbnb host picked us up from the station in Aosta. The apartment is on a tiny square in the old town, which is not accessible by car - worth knowing if you're booking to stay in Aosta and want to drive! Best places to stay would probably be to the east or west ends of the old town - east end is nearer the train station and access to the Pila gondola. The apartment is functional and has lots of space which we wanted due to the long stay. It cost us a grand a month, which is way less than we were paying in the UK so seems a good deal for what we want!

@rjs, the Gros Cidac supermarket is amazing, we came back with a plethora of random food and five types of biscuit on our first visit. Ridiculous place! Laughing

Aosta seems like a lovely little town; relatively quiet on week nights perhaps, though there are plenty of bars and restaurants (super green checked everywhere we're been so far; note that PuBurger is a bit disappointing as well as having a daft name) and the very attractive high street has been buzzing in the nice weather this weekend. I feel we've made a good choice for a two month stay, it has everything we need and will be fun without being too distracting! We are about 10 mins (max) potter from the gondola to Pila, and have hired a season locker at the lift to save wandering about in ski boots.

Pila was busy this weekend, though to be honest I've been in worse queues elsewhere. Sat on a few lifts with people who had come up from Turin or Milan for the weekend so I'm expecting it to be much quieter during the week. Snow is thin as expected - however the pistes that are open (and that's most of them, 49 out of 53 apparently, and only one lift closed) are in absolutely excellent condition, smooth as you like, very little ice though it's obviously hiding and if it gets windy I'm sure will become apparent. Didn't get bumpy at all, even the home run/ski school pistes in the afternoon. Hurrah for Italian snow management! The gondola up was fine and not busy after we'd had a lie in...car park full though so guessing there were queues at 8.30am! The lift queues were longer where the super green pass is checked, so all the lower lifts which are accessible by car/near accommodation. The higher lifts do not require a check. FFP2 masks in the enclosed lifts, buffs or surgical masks seem fine on the chairs. Mild faff, but not insurmountable! Same with the restaurants - up the hill, no check.

Getting ski legs back was surprisingly easy, but we are VERY out of condition (I can't fit into my lock-down purchased Scott ski trousers, I nearly cried...) so we chose to have shorter days this weekend to keep it fun and avoid injury. plenty of time to explore further. Best piste of the weekend by far was piste 2, off the Chamole lift. This is a red with a gradient that is just steep enough to be fun and fast, but not steep enough to be a pain on tired legs. 19/19a red off Couis 2 was a challenge for us, a bit of a steep drop off from the top with the usual mild panic that brings (I'm not the most confident skiier). 14 red drops down the middle of the resort and is fun with a bit of variety in gradient and width. We'll do some more exploring this week, and hope that the Grimondet sector might open if it snows tonight.

One key thing we noted this weekend - the chair lifts are chuffing slow! We're a bit used to Austria and the high speed chair. These are not high speed chairs. Oh well, good for a rest eh! We're also finding the restaurants really confusing - you have to order and get a ticket, then go elsewhere to get your food/drinks... am thinking sit down meals with table service might be my go-to!

A question for anyone who knows the area - we're thinking of going exploring in a different resort this weekend, but aware that half terms are probably beginning. Any views on where we should head, weather depending of course? Cervinia is expecting the most new snow apparently, but may be very busy? We wondered about Gressony or Courmayeur? May be quieter? Any tips appreciated.

Next instalment may be about buying skis or hiring them for a season - we have a tip off on a shop where we may be able to do either, so we'll see where we end up. I'm secretly hoping they will let me test lots of fun things on a try before you buy basis. I've also got my eye on some Dynastar Menace skis that are on sale at a shop near the lift but will be tit useless for hard on piste conditions - they look like lots of fun though. What to do?! Will be keeping an eye on the other thread regarding buy vs hire that has popped up on here today, very apposite.

Non-ski day tomorrow as we need to bed in to doing some work (and rest our aching legs). Good start though! snowHead
snow report
@ElzP, sounds like you've had a lovely start to your trip and it's great to hear your initial thoughts on Aosta. Also reassured to know that the pistes in Pila are decent considering the lack of recent snowfall. Please do keep reporting on this as I'll be watching closely ahead of our own trip next month (and if it doesn't snow properly in the next few weeks, it's not too late for us to change base).

Tonight's snowfall looks like being heaviest in the upper Aosta valley and the and far northern subvalleys - i.e. La Thuile / Courmayeur / Cervinia. Monterosa looks like it might be a bit far east - though I'm sure it'll be fine on piste there too! La Thuile may be relatively quiet on Saturdays since it's remote from Milan / Turin and it's "changeover day" on the French side?

Also hope you get to Cogne and Crevacol during your trip - both small ski areas are on our radar, and relatively close to Aosta.
snow report
@Elzp It's been a while, but if you're going to Courmayeur and can get to it, it used to be worth getting the Val Veny lift up, as it tends to be less busy (talking relatively here) than the main one. It's on the tunnel side of the town - out the other side, so probably not worth the bother if you're on a bus up as I think you'ld need to change onto the local stopper (946/7 on Google maps). But if you're driving definitely worth the going on to (big car park, too). I've not skied there since the Dolonne lift was built, so I've no idea whether that's worth looking into.

Again, if you're driving, the quickest way there is up the autostrada, but coming back, if the roads are okay, come along the back road (used to be the main road), and check out some of the co-op type produce shops (use those for genepy/grappa purchases for the best local stuff). There's a one at St. Pierre called Cofruits (name doesn't ring a bell, but the position pretty much looks right on the map). They're not the cheapest places to buy (that's why you go to Cidac), but definitely worth calling in at.

Last I heard there wasn't loads of snow in Courmayeur, but it was being very well maintained. If they've had some new stuff it should be good.

BTW I don't know if you're planning on doing the Valle Blanche, but you can organise guiding from Courmayeur. You'll need to be able to do it at relatively short notice as it's weather dependant.
http://www.guidecourmayeur.com/en/scheda_valle.php?id_prg=205&id_stag=2&settore_valle=Vall%C3%A9e+Blanche&settore=The+Vall%C3%A9e+Blanche+ski+descent%3Cbr%3E&settore_bis=&ctmz=0

If you're looking for an hour or so to kill in Aosta, the Roman ruins a worth a wander round.
snow report
If the snow cover is poor, they may not open the Grimondet lift at all this season. I assume that’s the one that is closed.
The (2) slopes it serves are not cannoned and face more southerly than the other slopes. Even if the lift does run, I have found it often isn’t in use until mid-Feb.
snow report
ElzP wrote:
Sat on a few lifts with people who had come up from Turin or Milan for the weekend so I'm expecting it to be much quieter during the week.

and
Quote:
A question for anyone who knows the area - we're thinking of going exploring in a different resort this weekend, but aware that half terms are probably beginning. Any views on where we should head, weather depending of course? Cervinia is expecting the most new snow apparently, but may be very busy? We wondered about Gressony or Courmayeur? May be quieter?

IME, the people from Turin and Milan go to Monterosa and Courmayeur in large numbers at weekends too. Would having rest days at the weekend work for you?

Quote:
One key thing we noted this weekend - the chair lifts are chuffing slow!

Isn't Leisse detachable? Runs 23 and 24 off it are good.

Quote:
We're also finding the restaurants really confusing - you have to order and get a ticket, then go elsewhere to get your food/drinks

Think that is standard for Italy.
ski holidays
Thanks @ElzP, keep the stories coming.

We spent a day in Pila (on a La Thuile pass) a few years ago and enjoyed it. Not specially challenging (though some lifts closed so we missed some areas) but somehow felt a good place to ski. We had forgotten that thing about restaurant tickets, it did throw us too.

If you have the Aosta valley pass, then obviously La Thuile opens up the wider area to France - but watch the weather forecast, if it is windy it can be absolutely brutal over the pass. We tried to ski Courmayeur but after about half an hour the weather came down with a vengeance and after doing a few circuits of an easy run in a blizzard decided that we were better off sampling the local coffee and lunch stops ...

I have to say, our skiing trip a few weeks ago after a couple of years' gap also showed up where our skills and ski fitness was lacking.
ski holidays
rjs wrote:

IME, the people from Turin and Milan go to Monterosa and Courmayeur in large numbers at weekends too. Would having rest days at the weekend work for you?

This is very true, and I second the recommendation. You'll also see a correlation with the weather too (though I don't think that'll be news, really).
ski holidays
@ElzP, For me, the views from run 1 (when it’s open) are unbeatable. Next favs are 2 and 3 (although the top bit of 3 always seems to bite me when it’s hard & icy/marbly). There’s a cut through onto 3 just off the top of 2 missing out the top bit, & you can then cut through to Leisse lift by keeping left on the piste & around the back of baby goraz if it’s busy & you want to avoid blue 15/ski schools.

The runs off Grimondet are great if it’s open but the lift is another slow one & you learn to use the offside trap to let your companion take the impact. If you get to use it, you’ll find out Puzzled

Run 14 all the way down is another good one to avoid the blue path back down to Leisse.

Our fav eateries at lunch are Trattoria de Maestro down by the telecabin (sadly no pizzas available the week before last) & freshly cooked burgers at the place near Couis2 lift.

We’re back out for a week early March but at the moment still recovering from our last trip as I brought some pesky covid germs home with me rolling eyes
snow conditions
Thanks all for the hints and tips! @skanky, that sounds like very useful knowledge, we'll check it out. Valle Blanche is probably a step too far for me this trip - we've done no off-piste at all bar a bit in Whistler which doesn't count.

@rjs, yes, Leisse is detachable - in fact husband and I had a convo last night and realised we'd completely forgotten being on that lift even though we'd had a chuckle that it's the fastest lift and covers the shortest distance. Laughing We did 24 and it was lovely, you're right. @Chuckles3, We'll try out the eateries. The place down by Couis 2, I went to the loo... it was a squat which for a female in ski boots is an interesting experience. Embarassed
@denfinella, we're hoping to get to both - Cogne in particular as I want to try so cross country skiing so that will probably be first.

Unfortunately, taking weekends off skiing probably won't work for us as my husband has core 'office' hours - we will however take the odd day off here and there if the weather is amazing or it's just snowed etc, so hopefully can direct ourselves to where the goods are at. Otherwise we'll make do with a couple of hours early morning which limits us to Pila. Think we'll take this Friday off though so given what's been said about snow, if the wind dies down by then we'll probably head to Cervinia and catch at least one quieter day.
snow report
@ElzP, I would never try and push anyone beyond their comfort zone, but worth getting some local advice from someone who's seen you ski - the VB was the first bit of off-piste I ever did, and since then my total distance off piste probably doesn't total up to anything close to that day. Apparently the hardest step has gone now too. But as I say worth getting local advice - for deciding either way - before ruling it out.

Re Cervinia, run 7, top to bottom, and 9 (also 24) are my Cervinia recommendations. 7 gets all the plaudits (and rightly so) but 9 is, I think, an underrated (easy) gem of a run, right under Monte Cervino (Matterhorn) and in my experience was often quieter than a lot of the rest of the mountain. Last run of the day you may well have it to yourself.

http://youtube.com/v/-CPi38f-3fY
snow conditions
[quote="ElzP”] The place down by Couis 2, I went to the loo... it was a squat which for a female in ski boots is an interesting experience. Embarassed
[/quote]

“Proper” ladies loos in Pila are few and far between.
The ones I can think of are “underneath” the top of the Chamole lift, in the Yeti bar, the “public” loos near the top-cable car station on the Grimod plateau, underneath the top gondola station (although that involves a walk down stairs) and possibly at Bar Societe.
As you say, the others are ok for the fellas but…
ski holidays
KNoceros wrote:
[quote="ElzP”] The place down by Couis 2, I went to the loo... it was a squat which for a female in ski boots is an interesting experience. Embarassed

“Proper” ladies loos in Pila are few and far between.
The ones I can think of are “underneath” the top of the Chamole lift, in the Yeti bar, the “public” loos near the top-cable car station on the Grimod plateau, underneath the top gondola station (although that involves a walk down stairs) and possibly at Bar Societe.
As you say, the others are ok for the fellas but…[/quote]

My fav normal ladies loos are the public ones next to the top of the telecabin. Chamole restaurant (at the bottom by the lift) also have normal loos as does Maison de Jean if you go inside. Trattoria de Maestro are normal but you have a yomp downstairs to get there. There are also normal loos below the top of the gondola station but they are a little bit wiffy. La Chatelaine on blue 5 has a mix of both.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy