Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Sunday

Poster: A snowHead
I only managed 5 minutes and couldn't be bothered with the rest. I have found it pretty crap these days.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
grumpygargoyle wrote:
I'm genuinely not looking to have a culture war but I'm surprised that hearing people's experiences, which relate to their sporting life, troubles you so much.

Come now, you are deliberately stoking a culture war by interpreting mild bemusement as being “troubled so much”
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gordyjh wrote:
I thought Graham Bell’s commentary was very good

I thought it was only good when I worked out how to mute the TV. They had a perfectly good pro commentator in Matt Chilton (he's the longest standing at 26 years, Vine was 22 years) and can only assume this is GB's way back into the program after leaving for Dancing on Ice. He's not a professional commentator, he's a pundit and the Beeb should have him as a co-pilot to Matt. He did a better job with the mogul skiers interview.

Chemmy clearly has a new deal with Dalbello so we got the daft 'unclip boots for better balance' exercise rather than something maybe a little more suited for a wide audience - are the Beeb ready for all the ambulance chasers? I have watched it a few times and I'm convinced it was contrived purely to get the boots in close up. Then there was Mojo and EcoSki and Volkl. Ed, meanwhile, seems to have gone the other way and looks to be almost advert free. I've got nothing against advertising but there are laws around sponsored content and paid-for advertorial and the Beeb should be on top of it. 

After Chemmy's attempt at Brexit travel advice last year, I think they were right to be wary about delving into Covid travel advice. Ed said the right thing basically. Do your own research.

As far as I can work out, 2022 marks 50 years of SS - not seen mention of it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@On the rocks, apologies, I wasn't trying to, I just wondered why it was the thing people felt was most comment worthy. I was just trying to understand but yes, feel free to ignore as I wasn't looking for a row
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@grumpygargoyle, not so grumpy after all then Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
grumpygargoyle wrote:
I'm surprised that hearing people's experiences, which relate to their sporting life, troubles you so much.

'Troubles', that's an interesting choice of words. I didn't pickup on anyone being remotely troubled.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Pruman, according to Wikipedia ski Sunday started in 1978. I believe Matt Chilton will be doing some commentary this year too.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
On the rocks wrote:
The brief slow motion clip of the mogul skiing was informative. The “coming out as pansexual” was a curious throwback to a time when viewers may have been bothered or interested. It will be interesting to see how far Chemmy’s ski tutorials go

Indeed - I’m interested in his skiing abilities and achievements - not his sexual or gender preferences.
We’ve all had issues of one thing or another to overcome in our lives and we just seem to be able to get on with it without what seems to me to be attention seeking? If he’s gay and happy that’s his business not mine.

It would be much better if the action was paused and the screen annotated with arrows (ala football programmes when they make a particular point) to show exactly where the problem is or where technique needs to be clarified.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 3-01-22 18:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I watched it and thought the first 5 minutes with several covid references were refreshing and borderline controversial, I had to double check I was watching a BBC program! Unfortunately after that, it went pretty downhill and quickly. The racing highlights were good, but with little insight into the hill, terrain, resort, country. I also didn’t see the whole point banging on about someone’s sexuality. 99.8% of the people audience watching don’t give a toss if an athlete is homosexual, or a new one for me this morning “pansexual” - genuinely I had to Google it. The remaining 0.1% will be homophobic, and the other 0.1% will fall into one of the above categories and be bothered about parading sexuality in sport. I was disappointed overall in the show, and was expecting much more.

Hopefully next weeks show is better
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
oldsnowy wrote:
It would be much better if the action was paused and the screen annotated with arrows (ala football programmes when they make a particular point) to show exactly where the problem is or where technique needs to be clarified.

Christian Neureuther (Felix's dad) used to do this on German TV, it worked well.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@On the rocks, maybe a little less grumpy than some Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@oldsnowy, I'm confused now, which one of the blokes was Gay and which one Pansexual?
@Ricklovesthepowder, I hope Google gave you the answer you were looking for and not a selection of NSFW video links.

And for the record I don't give a toss about an athlete's orientation, religion, gender (or not), nationality or any other "label"; just show us some elite snowsport, punter's snowsports, the odd educational bit that doesn't include a lecture on modern wokery and no Fluffy Kittens and I'm happy.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Is part of the problem (if there is one) that the BBC tries to appeal to an audience that is probably watching , boarding, trick skiing, hucking off cliffs etc on social media, filmed by drone, phone and mini cams and that they are not interested in "establishment" competition etc.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh dear. It doesn't take much to give some people something to argue about, does it? The fact that an elite sportsperson feels it's quite a big deal to "come out", and that a significant number still don't (as discussion about Premier Division footballers implies) does suggest that all this faux-bored objection to "modern wokery" is misplaced. It's a light-hearted, low budget, programme, aired rather rarely. As someone said, just seeing some snow and mountains on the telly is enjoyable and watching top athletes hurl themselves down the Stelvio entertained me.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@pam w, +1
snow report
@pam w, +2
snow report
Gordyjh wrote:
“It really should be quite an easy format.
Dedicate most time to the biggest event of the last week or so
Throw in some dedicated ski time & dedicated snowboard time.
Finally end on how UK participants have fared.”@Mr.Egg,

Pretty much what they did yesterday, so what’s your complaint?

I dont want one sentence to say what someone done. I want to see at least the final. Semi finals a bonus & any high speed crashes. World Champion in Charlotte Bankes but 0.1% coverage.
Has James Woods done anything last few weeks? They should really be focusing on Team GB seeing its the olympics coming up.
snow report
Mr.Egg wrote:
They should really be focusing on Team GB seeing its the olympics coming up.

I'd like to see that. There's Eurosport for people interested in the WC races but who might make the Olympic team, in what event, and what their chances and experiences are would be interesting.
ski holidays
I would like a short piece about the resorts hosting the races. 30+ years ago, a lot more of these resorts were offered by UK TOs, and I think sone info about places such as Adelboden etc would be interesting. No point though if the races are in the major UK visited resorts. A bit about when the glaciers at Zermatt are open and worth visiting would have been informative too.

Also agree that some action of the 'other' disciplines where people are doing really well would enhance things.

But then sport to the BBC = Premier League Football.
Their coverage of pretty much anything else, beyond the Olympics is utterly woeful, and even the summer Olympics they lost the rights to live action.
snow conditions
I had to Google Pansexual, seems it means bisexual Puzzled why change? Not fashionable enough. The BBC also got homosexuality in the mix. There was a time when sex of any sort did not need to be in a sports programme. Why now?
snow conditions
twoodwar wrote:
I had to Google Pansexual, seems it means bisexual Puzzled why change? Not fashionable enough. The BBC also got homosexuality in the mix. There was a time when sex of any sort did not need to be in a sports programme. Why now?

I done exactly the same thing & came up with the same conclusion… unless Bi’s dont do trannys?
snow report
Quote:

unless Bi’s dont do trannys?

and there you have it. That's why it's OK, in my book, for a programme like this to give a couple of admirable young athletes the chance to say something about themselves which is important, and which they'd felt forced to keep under wraps because of precisely this kind of puerile sniggering.
latest report
What are 'Bi's'? (Whatever they are, I can't help suspecting that's a redundant apostrophe.) Laughing
snow report
The apostrophes are the least of their problems, it seems.
snow conditions
@Hurtle, Bi means you ski and snowboard I believe.
ski holidays
So general opinion is they should have...
Covered all snowsports competition in the last week at least covering all the best runs/finals (and maybe a round up of the season so far).
Given a roundup of all potential GB Olympic competitors (with interviewes but nothing personal) and an explanation of their events.
Had technique advice for all abilities but without showing any recognisable boots, clothing, ski/boards.
Had resort reviews (maybe they shouldn't actually name any resorts either just to be safe) and videos of the best runs.
Given travel advice covering all covid requirements for all countries (well at least those with ski tourism).

I wonder what they'd have left for next week's show?
snow report
grumpygargoyle wrote:
@Hurtle, Bi means you ski and snowboard I believe.
Thanks, but I think I've worked out, finally, that he's saying bisexual people don't have sex with transsexuals. Very funny. Not. And the apostrophe is definitely redundant. Laughing
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

and there you have it. That's why it's OK, in my book, for a programme like this to give a couple of admirable young athletes the chance to say something about themselves which is important, and which they'd felt forced to keep under wraps because of precisely this kind of puerile sniggering.

So what is the difference between Pan & Bi?
Bi means 2, so can easily mean Male Female.
Is there a separate sexual label for a straight guy who likes a chick with a dick? Or one who prefers a cock in a frock? What about females in the same scenaro?
For an ‘all accepting’ generating where everything goes, they all seem to have more labels ‘to wear’ than Selfridges.

What a messed up generation my generation brought up. Bonkers.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mr.Egg wrote:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Is there a separate sexual label for a straight guy who likes a chick with a dick? Or one who prefers a cock in a frock? What about females in the same scenaro?
For an ‘all accepting’ generating where everything goes, they all seem to have more labels ‘to wear’ than Selfridges.

Fashionable init!

I get so confused with it all. Soon we will be like the Greek alphabet and naming storms each winter, we will run out of Descriptions!
latest report
Mr Egg, are you Stanton in disguise wink

FWIW pansexual was brought into use to be inclusive, bisexual by its nature defines the world as "two options". You don't have to care, obviously, but it's a term built on respect are consideration. The term chick with dick is not about respect and consideration is it.
snow conditions
Mr.Egg wrote:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Don't get your knickers in a twist about how other people label themselves. Straight, gay, bisexual, pansexual, whatever....none of them are interested in having sex with you.
snow report
It's quite funny really. All their faux-bored "yawn" and those few minutes are the only thing they can talk about, from quite a long programme.

Methinks they doth protest too much. There's a way to go, I guess.
latest report
grumpygargoyle wrote:

FWIW pansexual was brought into use to be inclusive, bisexual by its nature defines the world as "two options".

Not necessarily a correct definition of bisexuality either, my teenager told me earlier, when I tried in a similar well meaning way to explain to her dad. Bisexuality is attraction to more than one gender and
Not necessarily just two.

For what it’s worth I didn’t really enjoy the focus either. I admire the way they are trying to make skiing and the programme more inclusive but this missed the mark for me.
ski holidays
Everyone ought to be treated equally.

So @Hurtle, how does this get by without comment?

Mr.Egg wrote:

...I dont want one sentence to say what someone done...

Come on, you're slipping. NehNeh
snow report
Quote:

I didn’t really enjoy the focus

I'm genuinely quite bemused by this and interested in the amount of negative comment. It was hardly a "focus". It was a small part of longer interviews, and those interviews were a small part of the programme. The athletes themselves probably wanted to mention it, because it was important to them. Should Chemmy have said "on no account will be broadcast such irrelevant wokery"?
snow report
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
@oldsnowy, I'm confused now, which one of the blokes was Gay and which one Pansexual? <CUT>

Confused - certainly you were , they were both Girls !!! (one of which had 'come out') ; One of the sisters had a twin brother (who did not feature much..)
ski holidays
No idea what all the moaning was about. Thought it was a great watch.
ski holidays
I am not really interested in those bits, I guess its a box ticked for the BBC. For me its a ski show (well, snow sports really) so I watch it for things relating to such. I dont find this relevant to that or what I find interesting about skiing. So I will watch on the player and fast foward my way through the pap.

Nice to see Graham featured when it seemed he wouldn't be, although not sure what he meant by "anti-dampening" technology on one of the skiers skis. I thought the race round up interesting but not much in the way of technicalities, also the coaching tips but found the interview with the flag of convenience GB recruit and the defence of them not compelling, just a quick and easy way for Snowsports to spend lottery money and show instant results for it.

But I agree with @Markymark29 and others, it could do with some new features.
snow report
ster wrote:

....although not sure what he meant by "anti-dampening" technology on one of the skiers skis.

I wondered the same.

I assumed he got muddled between "Anti-Vibration" and "Dampening" Technology.
latest report
albob wrote:
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
@oldsnowy, I'm confused now, which one of the blokes was Gay and which one Pansexual? <CUT>

Confused - certainly you were , they were both Girls !!! (one of which had 'come out') ; One of the sisters had a twin brother (who did not feature much..)

Isnt this meaning that Gus Kenworthy who was interviewed?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy