Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Sunday

Poster: A snowHead
Wow, this is old school David Vine’s Ski Sunday, the BBC honouring the “ski” word. Spoilt with 3 FIS Alpine ski races.

Thank you beeb.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dave's village barely qualifies as a village but is next door but one to Brad Wiggins'.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great show. All good. Dave Ryding what a star ! Keep up the good work.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That was fun!

Carole 'having a lie down' at the end was the most relatable thing I've seen on ski social. Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another week of no snowboarding, despite a brit finishing on the podium
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Helmets rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Layne, Well the last bit - "buy the same make of goggles, so they fit your helmet" inspired me to check
if my goggles fitted my helmet (bought in 2020 and never worn - but that's another story!) ; they don't fit very well !! : time for a re-think...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Best ski Sunday for a few years.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There's a clip on iPlayer of Chemmy in bits before the interview. I think anyone that's been on the tour and tried to make it realises how bloody massive a win this is.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Really good episode. Even a good and succinct airing of the helmet debate, especially from the neurologist.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Good show - wondered if anyone else saw Dave Ryding on Eurosport live when he bent down at the end after he’d kissed the snow and said aloud unaware that the camera was on him ‘f****’ hell!” Laughing Laughing needless to say the beeb edited it out!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Markymark29, I didnt watch it live but his exclamation of joy was still in the Eurosport on-demand highlights.

Might be a Ski Sunday episode worth watching from the comments above.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
twoodwar wrote:

Agree but still think they underplayed the slalom result - presumably they don't have rights to show even more extended highlights? Dave deserves more time in the spotlight - the achievement is beyond massive !!!

To be honest I'm amazed he hasn't won more - his style alone sh*ts on most of the rubber band legged yokels. . . . .the most solid / still upper body bar none

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 24-01-22 12:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Markymark29, the beeb did show him kisssing the snow Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Belch, I just watched the slalom coverage (not even mentioned in the opening segment as the biggest news, not the first thing they go to?) and was quite underwhelmed by their effort in covering it. Seemed really underplayed.
latest report
ster wrote:
@Belch, I just watched the slalom coverage (not even mentioned in the opening segment as the biggest news, not the first thing they go to?) and was quite underwhelmed by their effort in covering it. Seemed really underplayed.

HUGELY underplayed - to win arguably the hardest technical skiing discipline and to do it at Kitzbuhel is monumental. . . .he should be awarded a Knighthood & Sports Personality of the year with immediate effect!
snow conditions
@Belch, maybe the hosts know little about slalom and it was to hard to change the planned programme with the massive focus on the DH.

Whatever the reason I thought it a poor effort, hopefully they will have a better prepared segment in a later show that will do him and his achievement some sort of justice.
ski holidays
orange wrote:
There's a clip on iPlayer of Chemmy in bits before the interview. I think anyone that's been on the tour and tried to make it realises how bloody massive a win this is.

Link please?
snow report
They have covered his exploits quite a lot in previous shows.
ski holidays
@Belch, a lot of the planning will have gone in to the episode ahead of time, whilst they can and do adjust they can't just make it up on the fly based on what was a superb result for the rocket on Saturday morning. They can cut some stuff and interject some stuff but can't replan and edit the whole show in time or arrange significant additional coverage and content.
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/2RUlrZTo5go

http://youtube.com/v/USxqB1Erj2w
snow conditions
twoodwar wrote:

+1
snow conditions
ster wrote:
@Belch, maybe the hosts know little about slalom and it was to hard to change the planned programme with the massive focus on the DH.

Whatever the reason I thought it a poor effort, hopefully they will have a better prepared segment in a later show that will do him and his achievement some sort of justice.

I expect the opening segment was filmed before the second run.
snow conditions
robs1 wrote:
ster wrote:

I expect the opening segment was filmed before the second run.

Of course it was filmed long before the weekend - possibly, even before the season started! A few years back, Graham Bell and Ed Leigh did most of their links from a bar/restaurant in Grindelwald. All filmed before a snowflake had fallen!

Thought the British win was underplayed, to be honest, and the section on Markus Eder (?) was far too long.
ski holidays

Hurtle wrote:
Really good episode. Even a good and succinct airing of the helmet debate, especially from the neurologist.

Sorry but it was one-sided, factually questionable and misleading. Firstly Jenny claimed that helmets protect against concussion - as we should all know by now, they don't and can't, ironically as evidenced by both her and Chemmy's experiences of wearing helmets and having to live with the effects of multiple concussions. They happen whether or not you are wearing a helmet and we can debate all day the degree to which they help mitigate the impact. They do protect against skull fracture and that is a good thing obviously but by then you are seriously injured (probably). Anyway, slightly less of a concussion is still a concussion and doing it multiple times can be life changing - Lindsey Vonn, like Jenny Jones, complains of migraines and other ailments as a result. That neurologist didn't mention secondary concussions and why hitting your head is simply a bad idea and to be best avoided with or without protection.

The guy from MIPS, presented as an independent expert for the gullible, should never have been allowed on the Beeb to flog his unsubstantiated claims. He sells a system to helmet manufacturers for commercial gain FFS - where were the other experts who claim that MIPS is pseudo tech and doesn't work on snow? Where was the other side of the argument at all?

In a week when a five year old girl and a famous actor were killed in collisions, would it not have been sensible to discuss collision avoidance, FIS rules, better technique and tactics? Effects of grooming, disappearance of moguls, and 'traffic calming' measures by resorts might also have been discussed. Wear a helmet by all means but, without covering those other aspects of safety, it's a job less than half done.

I also think they dismissed risk compensation far too easily. We all know people who 'go for it' that bit more because of all their protective gear, they even insist on telling you about it while showing you the 60mph on their tracking app. AFAIK helmets are tested to 15mph impact. Beyond that kind of speed a blunt impact will probably kill you or radically change your life, no matter what you're wearing.

Then I guess you have to mention the fact that Jenny, Chemmy, Ed all appear to be sponsored by helmet & goggle makers. What will next week's product placement entail I wonder.

Chemmy says buy a new helmet if you've dropped it - why didn't she then tell us not to use rental helmets, because all the ones I've seen appear to have been dropped many times! Are rental people not worth as much?

So I give that segment 0/10

Watching Ryding win on the Eurosport highlights with Nick & Finlay (bloody snooker & tennis killed the live coverage) was way more exciting than on SS.

I thought Woodsy was v good as a presenter and that segment kind of saved the day. But then Chemmy went and spoiled it all by doing something daft with a rubber band. I don't think SS should be attempting to teach.
snow report
@Pruman, hear hear
snow conditions
@Pruman, Fair points, that said why anyone would rent a helmet is beyond me. Fair play to them for bringing the debate to the masses but not handled effectively.
snow conditions
Yeah Woodsy looked quite natural as a presenter while not bothering to tell us that in fact he was the first British skier to top World Cup and indeed World Championship podiums.

But happy to brush that under the carpet as he's not even from Lancashire....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dave of the Marmottes, his from’t reet side ut th’ills…. wink
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Yeah Woodsy looked quite natural as a presenter while not bothering to tell us that in fact he was the first British skier to top World Cup and indeed World Championship podiums.

But happy to brush that under the carpet as he's not even from Lancashire....

The freeride guy interviewed even mentioned his ski racing background as fundamental to his career. It is everywhere I tell you, a conspiracy snowHead
latest report
I quite enjoyed this episode and only fast forwarded the racing though I did watch a couple. Dave's feat was amazing and well done to him. I thought it was interesting to hear the helmet debate on air and even though Pruman post is quite cynical it's probably right. More snowboarding next week please.

So last season on freesports hd (virgin channel I believe) there was loads of sking, boarding ranging from slopestyle, freestyle and halfpipe. Nothing this year at all.
latest report
@Gainz, Yes, last winter FS HD showed the official FIS programmes.
snow conditions
My primary thought when watching the Helmet Segment was "I bet this'll be making the Snowheads all frothy". Tick.

@Pruman, pretty much every one of your points has been addressed and shot down before now, and are only the preserve of those seeking to justify their own preferences. No point in rehashing them again here, answers are all on file.

++Edit++ In fact, we did this same dance back in 2017, almost to the day - Nice to see you still don't understand the application of the CEN 1077 standards. Memory impairment can also a sign of chronic TBI.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 25-01-22 10:55; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@Pruman, better off wearing than not wearing. That’s as technical as it needs to get.
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
My primary thought when watching the Helmet Segment was "I bet this'll be making the Snowheads all frothy". Tick.

That's what I thought Laughing "oh great, just what we need is another helmet argument"
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:

Err but it didn't. I rolled my eyes, a couple of posters said it was useful and then Pruman stated quite lucidly I thought why it was one sided.

In particular his statements "would it not have been sensible to discuss collision avoidance, FIS rules, better technique and tactics? Wear a helmet by all means but, without covering those other aspects of safety, it's a job less than half done." seems quite sensible to me.
ski holidays
JailBaitMcFlude wrote:
Richard_Sideways wrote:

That's what I thought Laughing "oh great, just what we need is another helmet argument"

Indeed, so lets not have/continue it here?

Good ole Eurosport is replaying the entire top 25 second run of the slalom between the runs of todays womens GS.

I wonder if Ski Sunday can redeem themselves in their last scheduled programme of the season next week.
snow report
Those were the days:-

http://youtube.com/v/2t3jRjnaqFY

http://youtube.com/v/S_OAU6tph_U

http://youtube.com/v/DvGWkUU5Uy8
snow conditions
@Kenzie, Whenever I watch the Wengen DH I'm reminded of that Peter Mueller crash; he was leading comfortably at that point IIRC.
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways wrote:

@Pruman, pretty much every one of your points has been addressed and shot down before now, and are only the preserve of those seeking to justify their own preferences. No point in rehashing them again here, answers are all on file.

No they haven't. Unless you have magically invented a device that gets surgically implanted inside the skull to somehow immobilise and protect the grey matter, you won't stop concussion, and even then you probably won't. Jenny J got the whole concussion issue wrong on a primetime show watched by a good proportion of UK skiers and boarders, and ignored the entire issue of how to best avoid hitting your head, with or without a lid, in the first place.

She's a helmet wearer and her own evidence of multiple concussions and subsequent long lasting health issues, didn't exactly seal the argument did it? Not cool. The one sidedness was plain unprofessional. I'm not really debating helmets here, I'm debating the BBC's misjudged evangelism for them.

On this forum you occasionally see people almost boasting about how many concussions they've had and how many times their helmet saved them. It's idiotic when you think about it - what was it about the first few concussions that didn't make you think to make changes to what you do? Plenty of footballers get dementia from years of heading footballs and sometimes the centre forward's head. The effect on the brain is no different from multiple concussions while skiing/boarding.

For normal recreational piste cruising, which is what most people do, you shouldn't need extra protection on head, back, wherever, as long as you are fully aware of how to keep yourself safe. The chances of a serious head injury become vanishingly small. Skiing is a safe sport but they managed to make it look dangerous.

Gainz wrote:
I thought it was interesting to hear the helmet debate on air and even though Pruman post is quite cynical it's probably right.

Thank you. I'm definitely cynical when I see such one-sided 'journalism' and vested interests on display on the Beeb. Their helmet & goggle sponsors must love them - not only were we told to wear a lid (with Mips) based on a one-sided argument, we were told to buy a new one each time we dropped one, and then told we should make sure our goggles are from the same maker. Kerrrrrrchinnnnggg!

Being seen as anti-helmet (I'm not) seems to be in the same category as anti-vax (I'm definitely not that either). I just don't understand why people feel they need to shut the argument down without having a friendly debate.

When I go skiing I reckon helmet use is up over 95%. Often you can't see anybody at all in a beanie. At the turn of the century I reckon helmet use was maybe 10-20% max. Yet I'm told that incidence of serious head injuries basically hasn't changed. Why? I guess because its always been mostly about behaviour and the fact helmets don't offer the kind of protection that's promised to the consumer.

As said previously, the guy from MIPS either shouldn't have been consulted or balanced out by other experts. After 25 years of R&D and 40,000 helmets tested, MIPS are so confident of their product even they say on their website (tucked neatly away at the bottom):

Quote:
WARNING. No helmet or impact protection system can protect a user from all injuries. Although the Mips® system has been designed to reduce rotational energies to the head, which may lead to brain injuries, there are limits to the protective capabilities of all helmets, including helmets with the Mips® system. Users are warned not to remove, reposition or otherwise tamper with the Mips® system in a helmet or use a helmet with the Mips® system if the Mips® system is damaged or displaced.

DISCLAIMER. MIPS AB and its affiliates (collectively, "Mips") do not warrant that an individual who suffers a collision, fall, or other blow to the head or person while wearing a helmet equipped with the Mips® system will never suffer any concussion or other injury to the brain, the head, or other body parts. User assumes all risks, including all risks of bodily injury, death or property damage, arising out of user’s activities while wearing a helmet equipped with the Mips® system. To the extent permitted by applicable law, Mips expressly disclaims all warranties of any kind, express or implied, including those contained in UCC sections 2-314 and 2-315.

Hmmm.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy