Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Sunday

Poster: A snowHead
I watched it from a recording.

I still like Ski Sunday, simply because it’s winter sports, with so little coverage in the UK.

My thoughts:

I wish they’d cut back on the time spent interviewing. Of all the pastimes, snow sports are surely set in the most stunning of scenery, so make it all filmed outdoors. A hotel room or lobby is a dull look.

A series of long interviews makes it the ski equivalent of zzzzzzzz Football Focus.

A mini tour of the World Cup ski village with some background information would also be great. Graham Bell used to do this e.g. in Schladming. Giving a feel for Alpine life and the boozy partying!

Finally, I used the love the GS or Super G races they ran of a celeb per week, versus the time of a pro skier or Graham Bell, after some coaching.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The balance between location and indoor shooting is almost certainly down to cost. I'm sure the SS budget is under the axe like every other part of the BBC, even though I assume it's made by an independent production company.
I agree that Graham Bell's breathless descents of various downhill courses, with the handheld camera, were always good entertainment, but I guess he's not getting any younger, and I don't know how easy it is for the production company to arrange slots with the course organisers.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm assuming that Graham is going to be part of the Olympic commentary team in Beijing so won't be in Europe incase he gets the COVID, so he's probably overdubbing the race edits under his stairs or the like. Don't think they mentioned whether Ed and Chemmy are moving around venues this year or whether they're just staying put in one spot like they did in Laax last season. Looks like its only 5 episodes this year too, so all over before February.

Any SH going to own up to being the 'leg-inna-SkiMojo' photo in the wee bit about busted out knees and top trusses?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 4-01-22 17:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Snow&skifan, agreed re interviews, always for me the worst part of any sports coverage. Leave what they have to say to printed media , or indeed online . This also takes care of any totally superfluous information on sexuality. Whichever direction that is. I don’t care! I would like to see more actual snow sport, advice re equipment, how to use it, care for it etc.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've been trying to remember what made Ski Sunday watchable back in the 70s & 80s:-
1) It was the only way to check out the Alpine snow coverage
2) The courses were natural runs, often with 'challenging' snow conditions
3) Blocks of ice masquerading as bales of hay for crash barriers
4) Pine branches as course markers
5) Memorable ski racers eg (off the top of my head) the Crazy Canucks, Ingemar Stenmark, Annemarie Moser-Proll, the Mahre twins, Franz Klammer, Alberto Tomba, Erica Hess, Hanni Wenzel, Marc Girardelli, Pirmin Zurbriggen - lots of skiing on the edge, lots of win or crash runs, and some of them genuine all-rounders.

And didn't the BBC used to cover the 4 Hills over the New Year period?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
i watch it just for the scenery and to see what the snow conditions are like, i"m not really interested in the racing, so a resort report would be nice.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anything indeed about skiing, very little please about skiers other than watching them ski.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kenzie wrote:
I've been trying to remember what made Ski Sunday watchable back in the 70s & 80s:-
5) Memorable ski racers eg (off the top of my head) the Crazy Canucks, Ingemar Stenmark, Annemarie Moser-Proll, the Mahre twins, Franz Klammer, Alberto Tomba, Erica Hess, Hanni Wenzel, Marc Girardelli, Pirmin Zurbriggen - lots of skiing on the edge, lots of win or crash runs, and some of them genuine all-rounders.

Ooo Alberto Tomba - amazing thighs wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So what most people seem to be looking for is Top Gear on skis?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
On the rocks wrote:
So what most people seem to be looking for is Top Gear on skis?

Which the High Altitude spin off tried to be - was pretty good and surprised it got pulled.

Plenty of serious wintersports to watch if you are serious about it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Bones, I’d like to see Chemmy trying to teach Jeremy Clarkson how to ski…..,
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@On the rocks, I'd prefer seeing her trying to teach me to ski Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Bones, I saw Graham Bell talking at the Ski Show a few years ago and the question came from the audience about High Altitude returning, and he said that they had such sketchy oversight on what they were doing filming during its run that its really surprising that nobody got hurt, and that's one of the main reasons it will probably never come back. What they would need to do to make the show like it was just wouldn't get approved for the cost to do it safely.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kenzie wrote:

I was just a kid and teen then, still at primary school when Klammer won the downhill at the 76 Olympics, but I remember that (plus John Curry) on the brilliant BBC at the time.

Regarding Ski Sunday and the BBC on winter sports in general at that time, the magic for me (I’ve never grown out of it) was:
- Simply seeing heaps of snow and colossal mountains from a snowless and relatively flat SE England. The world was bigger place then, skiing the preserve of the very well off or lucky ones like me able to ski with the school in Italy (thank you secondary school). Adding to the mystique.
- David Vine’s brilliant commentary, clearly passionate about sport, but always modest.
- Konrad Bartelski at Selva VG.
- Klammer and the Austrians in a rivalry versus the immense Swiss of Heinzer, Zurbriggen and Mueller.
- The added spice from the interloping Canucks and Germans.
- The sheer mention of Kitzbuhel, Val D’Isere and Wengen. Then seeing them, including shots of the Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau in winter.
- The coverage always started early in Val D’Isere and Val Gardena. Bigger budget?
- The Lake Placid winter olympics.
- It was a longer series of programmes, from early Dec to the Olympics/World Championships. Not a token 4 programmes. You got into the rhythm, giving fantastic Sunday teatimes. After the old Rugby Special with Nigel Starmer Smith, Chris Rea and Ian Robertson.
- Then, THAT theme tune.

Happy days.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Snow&skifan, we were easier to please in those days. I even enjoyed the out of date snow reports on ceefax. Just reading those place names!!
latest report
pam w wrote:
@Snow&skifan, we were easier to please in those days. I even enjoyed the out of date snow reports on ceefax. Just reading those place names!!

I remember that. Alpbach, Saalbach, Davos, Lech, Lake Louise, St Moritz …. just the words evoking scenes of white magic.

Pre internet, perusing new ski brochures, a year ahead.

I digress.
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:
@Bones, I saw Graham Bell talking at the Ski Show a few years ago and the question came from the audience about High Altitude returning, and he said that they had such sketchy oversight on what they were doing filming during its run that its really surprising that nobody got hurt, and that's one of the main reasons it will probably never come back. What they would need to do to make the show like it was just wouldn't get approved for the cost to do it safely.

That certainly makes sense tbh.
ski holidays
Snow&skifan wrote:
I watched it from a recording.
I wish they’d cut back on the time spent interviewing. Of all the pastimes, snow sports are surely set in the most stunning of scenery, so make it all filmed outdoors. A hotel room or lobby is a dull look.

A series of long interviews makes it the ski equivalent of zzzzzzzz Football Focus.

Finally, I used the love the GS or Super G races they ran of a celeb per week, versus the time of a pro skier or Graham Bell, after some coaching.

Agreed about the interviews especially in light of these recent ones.

Celebs competing in winter sport with inadequate skills? Been there with "The Jump" - will never happen again.
snow conditions
@ElzP, you’re quite right. High demographic of ageing right wingers on here, who cant quite believe the world is moving on without them.

Also I suspect they’re all desperately jealous that the team is in Laax all season whilst they’re working from their shed, the closest they’re getting to the mountains is their windows screensaver.
snow report
Nadenoodlee wrote:
@ElzP, you’re quite right. High demographic of ageing right wingers on here, who cant quite believe the world is moving on without them.

Also I suspect they’re all desperately jealous that the team is in Laax all season whilst they’re working from their shed, the closest they’re getting to the mountains is their windows screensaver.
Plenty of lefties too... but hey you brought politics in to it.....
Are you now going to bring up B....t and have a little cry?

P.S. I had a great week in Italy a fortnight ago.
latest report
And shall I get on my high horse too, at the suggestion that the elderly are reactionary? I deplore your silly juvenile post, @king key, but I agree that there are plenty of prejudiced left wingers too.
snow report
So you 'deplore' my juvenile post but you fail to mention a single about the post above which was diliberatly made to provocative. At least try and complain equally.
ski holidays
Quote:

you fail to mention a single about the post above which was diliberatly made to provocative. At least try and complain equally

Read more carefully, @king key.
latest report
I did read carefully, you quoted me but failed to quote the other person at all and was in fact the individual who started mentioning both politics and some ageist nonsense about sheds.
snow conditions
Did someone mentions sheds? Now we're talking!! Very Happy
snow report
MorningGory wrote:
Did someone mentions sheds? Now we're talking!! Very Happy

As long as they're Man sheds. Very Happy
ski holidays
@RedandWhiteFlachau, Pansheds Very Happy
ski holidays
@MorningGory, Very Happy

Is there a show where we can watch an interview about these?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ster, theres a show on Discovery Channel about high-end tree houses if that floats your boat
snow conditions
@king key, i don’t understand what you’ve said.
snow report
MorningGory wrote:
@RedandWhiteFlachau, Pansheds Very Happy

Is that what used to be a kitchen?
latest report
@Kenzie, how could you forget Picabo Street? One of the greatest names in the history of sport, or anything. And virtually unbeatable for a couple of seasons.
ski holidays
Riccardo wrote:
@Kenzie, how could you forget Picabo Street? One of the greatest names in the history of sport, or anything. And virtually unbeatable for a couple of seasons.

Agreed, and immortalised forever Toofy Grin

ski holidays
Sheds, and greenhouses! Varieties of tomato seeds! Now we’re talking.
snow conditions
@Bones, that's awesome
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
I watched it and thought the first 5 minutes with several covid references were refreshing and borderline controversial, I had to double check I was watching a BBC program! Unfortunately after that, it went pretty downhill and quickly. The racing highlights were good, but with little insight into the hill, terrain, resort, country. I also didn’t see the whole point banging on about someone’s sexuality. 99.8% of the people audience watching don’t give a toss if an athlete is homosexual, or a new one for me this morning “pansexual” - genuinely I had to Google it. The remaining 0.1% will be homophobic, and the other 0.1% will fall into one of the above categories and be bothered about parading sexuality in sport. I was disappointed overall in the show, and was expecting much more.

Hopefully next weeks show is better

My thoughts exactly. They can’t help themselves , going on about sexual or brexit politics.
It’s been rubbish for years . Nothing on travel / resorts / apres / technique. The racers are brilliant but if I wanted to watch 40 mins of racing ( which I might) I can watch a dedicated sport program . Ski Sunday has lost its way. And what’s the point of having the presenters on the snow when almost all they do could be studio based. I’ll still watch it , but it’s dreadful.
snow report
Riccardo wrote:

Or Fanny Chmelar. Laughing
snow report
r11s wrote:
I’ll still watch it , but it’s dreadful.

Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Timbobaggins wrote:
Riccardo wrote:

Or Fanny Chmelar. Laughing

Just for those who've never seen it!
http://youtube.com/v/jl1Zfz-Widc&ab_channel=TheChase-FunniestMoments
snow conditions
Riccardo wrote:

But I was referring to the 70s & 80s. Confused
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy