Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France-experiences of testing + prior to return?

Poster: A snowHead
Trying to decide whether to pull the plug on next week in France or hope for the best. We can’t find info on what happens if and of the pre flight antigen and PCRs our party need to do to get back to our own country come back positive.

Has anyone had this experience or know of any people who have? We’re wondering what we’d for accommodation etc, how much of a disaster it would be. Going mad trying to decide what to do! Holiday fully paid, no option of refund.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 30-12-21 21:05; edited 4 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Leax, are you travelling from the UK? If so, you are not allowed to travel to France for a holiday at all.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's all here @Leax. Enjoy.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=157239#4891673
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Travelling from Ireland.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Leax wrote:
Trying to decide whether to pull the plug on next week on the Three Valleys or hope for the best. We can’t find info on what happens if and of the pre flight antigen and PCRs our party need to do to get back to our own country come back positive.

Has anyone had this experience or know of any people who have? We’re wondering what we’d for accommodation etc, how much of a disaster it would be. Going mad trying to decide what to do! Holiday fully paid, no option of refund.

As Hells Bells says, you can't travel into France due to border restrictions - as such, surely your holiday is completely refundable/claimable???
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@NickYoung, not if he's travelling from Ireland. As such he can travel and can't have a refund.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Hells Bells, Aha. I hadn't seen that reply.

So the conundrum is to waste money spent on a ski holiday, or risk wasting money on having to quarantine etc??
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Leax, if you are booked with a tour operator, they may be obliged to find you somewhere to quarantine, but you will have to pay for it yourself. What does your travel insurer say about it? They should be the people you are asking.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It’s not difficult to ensure your pre-departure LFT tests are negative on return.

Of course the legality and morality of this are a minefield
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quarantine costs are covered in any half decent travel insurance under the medical costs section. The only thing that Crystal (the only company I have had first hand information from the hotel owner) will do is sort your return flight when cleared.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Several of the party require PCRs and I’m also concerned about false positives there, not sure what the cycle thresholds in France are for PCR, and if high false positives are an issue.

Thought it was worth seeking any real world experiences here.
The tour operator doesn’t have responsibility in this case.

It’s not the money. AirBnB have a no isolation policy, several hotels we have contacted to check hasn’t been productive, and we don’t know if we end up being housed in some state selected facility.
Anyway, thanks for your replies, if anyone’s been through it insights appreciated. Apologies if I shouldn’t have started a thread on it, I couldn’t find answers in the threads I read, the whole thing is a minefield.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Leax, There seem to be quite a few people advocating faking the LFT - guaranteeing negative results - and worrying about it via the day 2 test at home.

My moral compass says I wouldn't do that (I've followed every rule set, regardless of whether I agreed with them or not)...but...maybe I would...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not France, but someone's experience of testing Positive in Italy (scroll down to the first post from @shuv7)

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=157544&start=160
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you albob
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Leax wrote:
Travelling from Ireland.

We just came back to Dublin from Alpe dHuez yesterday.

- No test required to get into France. You just need your EU COVID cert (Note - this might change to requiring a booster by the time you travel...worth double checking)

- Coming back to Dublin you need an antigen test. You mention PCR, but I'm not aware of any reason you would need it. We used some home antigen kits for peace of mind a few days before going home and on the morning before we were leaving we pre booked tests in the local pharmacy (you have 48 hours). Thankfully all negative. You have to show the test results at the check in. They are not scanned so I could easily see how they could be (ahem) adjusted. We also would normally go out a bit more, but this time we mainly ate back at the chalet and kept to our own group.

Have to admit it was a bit nail biting getting the resulys of the last tests, and I struggle to understand the logic of antigen tests for flights within the EU when you can happily travel around Ireland on any other mode of transport without the need for a test. Plus COVID is rampant here and I definitely felt safer when in France judging by the amount of friends that now have it. The EU is bringing in a binding law from 1 Feb that allows travel using the COVID cert so hopefully Ireland falls into line with that to make travel a lot easier.

On a positive note it was definitely worth it all to get off plague island and get some turns in...
snow conditions
Thanks rzer, glad to hear you had a good holiday and got back without issue! There are unvaccinated over 12s in our group, PCR required if not vaccinated, antigen only if recovered or vaxxed.

Thanks to all for the help. Swinging wildly from cancelling to just going for it
latest report
We did the same process for a trip recently. It helped to run through the worst case scenarios. For us these were some people getting Covid. We were lucky to also have potentially flexible schedules (I.e no exams, interviews, unmissable work etc). Delay was hence not a problem for us.

After this triage process, any financial stuff then pales into insignificance. Along similar lines, you are not going to be sent to a gulag if you test positive in in any likely European ski destination. It will be awkward and possibly expensive, but ultimately just a good dinner party story.

Decide on your red lines and work from there.
snow report
Our chalet provider has this on their website....

What happens if I test positive during my holiday ?
For our part we will treat your case as we would for norovirus for which we are well practiced. You would isolate in your room for the remainder of your stay and we would bring catering to your bedroom door. The co-habitant of the room would be required to take daily antigen tests and be asked to isolate with you in the event of a positive test.

At the end of your stay with us your insurance policy should cover you for the cost of further accommodation and/or transport if you need to self-isolate, together with repatriation where necessary and emergency medical expenses abroad.

We will help seek additional accommodation and onward transport on your behalf. Subject to availability we can offer extended self-isolation stays at the rate of £100 per room per night.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy