Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing with (unvaccinated) Under 12's in Whistler

Poster: A snowHead
Is anyone currently or has anyone recently been to Whistler with (unvaccinated) under 12 year olds? We are due to be going mid Feb and trying to work out whether it is worth going or cutting our losses and postponing if the restrictions are going to be a massive dampener on the trip. From what I can see, kids would not be allowed in ski school or restaurants/shops etc for 14 days after entry. Which doesn't work well for a 10 day trip!

2 of the 4 kids have had Covid in the last 180 days before departure...

Apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Doh, I read you message properly and engaged my brain (after typing the first reply)

We have a partially vaccinated under 12, and I think you're right, you would be in a tricky spot. Sad
Due to our lack of roads we were looking at going to BC interior from Vancouver via the US, despite the fact the only stops we'd make are rest stops and fuel, this was pretty much a non starter due to the restrictions you mention.
No school, groups, crowded places, team sports, clubs, camps, etc... we would have included ski school in this list. Semi-isolated for 14 days, then there's all the testing to go with it - and we'd get to do this twice!
Not sure how that applies if you've tested positive - and going forward it seems likely that will apply to all of us at some point soon with Omicron! Sad

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 24-12-21 2:47; edited 5 times in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@stuarth, thank you for the reply. I think, from what I can see, the lack of restrictions on under 12’s does not apply to anyone travelling into Canada from abroad (we’re in the UK).

Us adults are fully vaccinated and boosted (although still caught Covid for Christmas) but under 12’s aren’t.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@weirdonorskie,

Sorry, amended reply above! Sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We're currently due to go out with 2 under 12s on the 1st Jan. We've got an active enquiry with Inghams about bumping it to next year - but we're half considering anyway.

The Ski school bit is fairly clear and definitely a bummer - but they can both ski a bit and I reckon private lessons are probably within the law?

For Restaurants you've then got:

- they cannot "attend large or crowded settings, indoors or outdoors, such as an amusement park or sporting event"

- but they can "visit uncrowded public settings such as parks, beaches or going for a walk"

With going to a restaurant (now tables of 6 max with 1m separation following the latest edict this week) falling squarely between those two.

Private skiing and going to a restaurant doesn't seem to breach any of the "you can't do this" bits - but equally does seem to be pushing quite a bit beyond the "What your child can do for the next 14 days" section.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think that's pushing it personally.

The mask rules on gondolas are aligned with public transport (sort of mostly apparently), and there is no crowded public transport allowed in that 14 day period. How do you see the peak to peak, village gondola or Blackcomb gondola as any different than a bus or skytrain in that respect?
Similarly, restaurants could most definitely fall into the crowded place category.
How would your kids do ski school and avoid such places, even in a private lesson?

I'm sure you've seen the rules, but if you read the what they are allowed to do section, imho most of the things you mentioned are not on or in the spirit of that list I'm afraid. Sad

Thankfully for us, one of the key highways has been fixed with near miraculous speed, so we no longer need to go through the US to get to the interior (even without that, still pondering the merit of going right now), but before that we had planned on MrsH having to stay home with our under 12 because really the rules made it not viable, even though we were not even travelling from another country with several hundred others.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks guys, looks a bit gloomy on that front and going by the Canadian government regulations…
@anddmac, interested to hear what Ingham’s say as their website just refers back to the government website for unvaccinated under 12’s Sad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Crystal ski have a good guide on the each countries restrictions which they update with any changes:

https://www.crystalski.co.uk/travel-with-confidence/entry-requirements/
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh Inghams were useless when I asked specific questions. I just got referred back to their Q&A even though it was irrelevant to the question (actually about whether we could private PCR and what the transfers involved.

They did email after the quarantine bit was brought in and asked people to let them know if you wanted to rearrange - but then France went nuts so I’ve not had much contact back about sorting that.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@anddmac, I guess they will dissolve themselves of responsibility by putting the onus on travellers to follow government guidelines…helpful…
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@anddmac,
Sorry that it probably isn't going to work out Sad but to be fair to Inghams I think these particular rules have been in place since Canada opened to international travel again, and they can't really do much more than point you at the guidelines - though if they were booking under 12s to Canada, perhaps it could of flagged a warning I guess?
Pretty tough times to be a traveler or a TO right now Sad

I asked for specific clarification from the federal government on the Provincial governments suggestion that BC residents could go through the US to/from the interior as they did change a few things temporarily for BC residents at the start of the flooding, but got no reply from my MP as to who I should ask either Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@dalehernando, thank you for that - pretty ambiguous in not really mentioning any restrictions whilst in resort…
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@stuarth, there’s nothing on the Ingham’s website to advise against booking when I try booking a holiday now with an under 12 year old. One would think they would be flagging up restrictions at point of booking…
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I’m pretty sure they’d let you add ski school as well.

I’m pretty sure you could in fact do ski school without anyone at Whistler bothering - but not sure it’s worth the risk.

Half hoping Boris declares a lockdown travel ban on Monday to settle the question…
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@anddmac, yep if BoJo locks us down then at least the decision is taken out of our hands. Rather than the “should we/can we shouldn’t we/can’t we” feeling…
ski holidays
@anddmac,
Not meaning to be unsympathetic here, but UK lockdown or not, these are the Canadian rules; your kids are meant to isolate.
Personally I don't see them as anymore risk than anyone else, but those are the rules - they apply to us if we leave and return to Canada (and would have done even if we were just out for a few hours staying in the car!), and they apply to you when you visit. Not really any ambiguity on this.
Also personally, rules aside, my kids train in Whistler so a bit harder to avoid so with the increased risks associated with skiing there, I'm much happier that my kids are vaccinated or partly vaccinated for going there for that.

This all really sucks, and really hope Inghams can get something worked out for you.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy