Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rules for entry into Austria post 25 December

Poster: A snowHead
Please only post information about the Rules of the Austrian government with respect to what is needed to enter Austria and ski after 25 December.

The previous thread has become too long and recently has digressed too much and become confusing.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jimmole wrote:
Please only post information about the Rules of the Austrian government with respect to what is needed to enter Austria and ski after 25 December.

The previous thread has become too long and recently has digressed too much and become confusing.

Ah...I meant start a Germany/Austria thread as that was your issue. now there will be 2 Austria threads running, which isn't great.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 23-12-21 11:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Jimmole, this new thread seems like a very good idea to me.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Only took one post, now two, to digress lol
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The reason for this thread is to make it specific to the Austrian Regulations and avoid the confusion and digression on the long winded thread that generalises on entry and exit plus other comments. If Admin deem it unnecessary then they can by all means delete the thread.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Here you go then, ((as per the other thread) job done end of thread Toofy Grin ))

The 11th amendment to the COVID-19 Entry Ordinance 2021 comes into force on December 25th. Due to the new virus variant Omikron, there is a tightening of the entry into Austria:

Classification of the following additional countries as virus variant areas ("Appendix 1 of the Entry Regulation "):

Angola, Botswana, Denmark, Eswatini, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, the Netherlands, Norway , Zambia, Zimbabwe, South Africa and the United Kingdom

Entry from these countries is generally prohibited

Essentially, only Austrian citizens, EU / EEA citizens and people with residence or habitual abode in Austria are allowed to enter. Entry for humanitarian reasons or in the urgent interest of the republic is also possible. There are also a few other exceptions.

The following regulations apply to people who are authorized to enter from these countries:

Registration for pre-travel clearance at https://entry.ptc.gv.at/

Immediate start of a ten-day quarantine. The quarantine is deemed to have ended if a further PCR test is carried out at the earliest on the fifth day after entry , the result of which is negative. The day of entry is to be regarded as "day zero".

People who have been vaccinated three times may enter the country free of quarantine if they have a negative PCR test that is no longer than 48 hours old . Persons who have been vaccinated twice with Johnson & Johnson are allowed to enter the country free of quarantine if a negative PCR test is no longer than 48 hours.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would personally like to see one thread with latest rules for entry & re-entry for each country all in one place & the 1st post updated. No try track multiple threads for multiple countries.
That way there is no need to read the nonsense where people are pasting days old information like it is new information.

Just to chip in with Todays nonsense that is probably already out of date :-

Yesterday's announcement
16+ need a booster + PCR
12- 15 use Ninja Pass
under 11 do not require anything.....

unless the vienna rules are extended nationally
Vienna
In Vienna, testing is mandatory from the age of 6. For children aged 6-11, PCR tests (validity: 72h) and antigen tests from an official body (validity: 48h) apply. For children aged 12-15, a PCR-test no older than 48h is valid as an entry test.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just to clarify, is entry to Austria from that list of countries possible if you hold an EU passport? Or is all travel from those countries prohibited (subject to the exceptions they list)?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The key part seems to me to be that entry from the UK and those other listed countries is GENERALLY PROHIBITED.

All the stuff about boosters etc is only for persons specifically authorised to enter.

Seems clear to me that UK aren't welcome except in exceptional circumstances and the desire for a ski holiday is likely not one of those.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@rob@rar, The confusion is coming from 2 other sources. The WKO represents all the Gastro (hotels restaurants etc...) and is a governmental organisation. They have published that entrance is open for tourism from the UK (along with the other 3 listed countries).
The national tourism association has also 'suggested' this on their main page.

IMO, when using only direct government sources what is written above carries the most weight.

It is not unusual for officially 'leaked' info to come into action. The tourism website has been notoriously slow during the whole pandemic in updating any information (about a week) and have put this info out very, very quickly.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
NEW: Virus variant areas United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Denmark, Norway
New rules for everyone arriving from the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Denmark and Norway. These countries will be classified as a virus variant region from 25 December in Austria. This means:

People who are fully vaccinated (double jabbed) AND have received the 3rd booster jab can enter Austria with a negative PCR test (valid 48 hours). Children under the age of 12 are exempt (see below) and teenagers eligible for the Holiday Ninja Pass will be able to enter with a negative PCR test (valid 48 hours).
Important additional information: Everyone else travelling from the UK, the Netherlands, Denmark and Norway needs to quarantine for 10 days upon arrival if they have not been fully vaccinated (2 x jabs) and had a third booster.

Source .... https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information/entry-regulations
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimastaaah wrote:

Source .... https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information/entry-regulations

This is the national tourism association's release; it is not a government site.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
flangesax wrote:
skimastaaah wrote:

This is the national tourism association's release; it is not a government site.

however they have specific info regarding travel from 25th of Dec and have in bold test stated UK visitors can come to the country. this is clearly at odds with the gov site that imples tourism is not allowed. so who do we believe. The tourist info site has been updated recently and refers to post 25th dec rules. are they just making it up ? are they misunderstanding ? are the translations confusing things. who knows...maybe I will look at italy !
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
does anyone know if kids need to take the ninja pass tests if they have proof recovery and one jab? its as clear as mud on Austria websites!
alos i see the pre travel pcr is 48 hours not 72 more stress! beginning to wish I hadn't bothered
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Does the tourist information department trump the ministry of health or t’other way round in Austria? Everything seems to hinge on this as they clearly contradict each other? One says I can go, other says I can’t. It’s like the bleeding Hokey Cokey
snow report
I've posted this on the other thread

We generally blame Boris and Co for muddled thinking and "dither", but this situation is bonkers (admittedly a first world problem). However, here goes with my current situation 26th Dec-2nd Jan and feedback from various third party emails and phone calls

Flight Jet 2 Innsbruck Hotel via Sunweb still reporting we can go with a booster and PCR 72hours all tickets and vouchers issued including an update today as we've lost some of party who were understandably jittery.

My stepdaughter (adult law student not in year 6 Very Happy ) has just spoken to Austrian Embassy in London 10 minutes ago and they have confirmed the same requirements.

We are PCR-ing this afternoon and still crossing everything and hoping for the best.

Good luck to everyone and Happy Christmas
snow conditions
If you do a search for flights to Austria in the days around New Year the airline's do not appear to be cancelling flights. Tourist offices and Austrian embassy confirming it's two plus booster plus PCR for UK tourists Dust seems to be settling a bit and headless chickens chilling out.
snow conditions
kb36 wrote:
The key part seems to me to be that entry from the UK and those other listed countries is GENERALLY PROHIBITED.

All the stuff about boosters etc is only for persons specifically authorised to enter.

Seems clear to me that UK aren't welcome except in exceptional circumstances and the desire for a ski holiday is likely not one of those.

Unless you are from the tourist industry - calls from there today for Mückstein's resignation because of the changes introduced.
snow conditions
@JDgoesskiing, once in the country the proof of recovery would be sufficient. I would get a PcR test for entry though just in case.

Proof of recovery would need to be in the Austrian format I would imagine so you need your GP to write this up. You just show it to the lift office and hotel.
latest report
Entry requirements to Austria from 25 December 2021
According to a press conference of the national crisis team on 22 December 2021, the United Kingdom will be considered a "virus variant area" from 25 December 2021.

Details about the new entry requirements from the United Kingdom to Austria will be published as soon as possible. Please visit our website again at a later date.

Additional or legally binding information on entry requirements can only be provided by the responsible Federal Ministry for Social Affairs, Health, Care and Consumer Protection: +43 1 71 100 86 22 86 or buergerservice(at)sozialministerium.at or the Ministry for Inner Affairs: +43 1 53 126-3100 or buergerservice(at)bmi.gv.at.

Source ... https://www.bmeia.gv.at/en/austrian-embassy-london/travelling-to-austria/coronavirus-covid-19-and-travel-abroad/

Clear as mud.
ski holidays
jirac18 wrote:
Does the tourist information department trump the ministry of health or t’other way round in Austria?...

tourist info site above wrote:
... The above information has been researched with the outmost care. The Austrian National Tourist Office is not an authority and cannot provide any legally binding information.
snow report
I poked around a bit more on the Health Ministry site and found a link to the Austrian official Gazette where details of all federal legislation is published. The legislation says it has been updated on 22.12.21 but as far as I can see hasnt been updated to include the changes announced yesterday see here (as you would expect it is a dense legal text). It really needs a German speaking lawyer to sift through the detail but I cant spot anything in the legislation prohibiting entry for people from Denmark, Holland, Norway & UK. This would suggest the other government sites are anticipating the legislation which hasnt yet been written. Not much help in planning holidays
latest report
@munich_irish, yes, a few mins ago I received an email from a mailing list handled by one of the govt organisations. It discussed some of the new rules but stated that they could still change because the regs haven't yet been published.

This would at least explain why nobody seems to know what is going on Confused
latest report
I’m glad that I started this thread because it has concentrated minds on the rules from the Austrian government perspective. To sum up. It is not yet clear what the entry rules into Austria are post Christmas Day. The only clear point that can be confirmed is that PCR tests are only valid for 48hrs before arrival instead of 72hrs.

Keep watching this thread for more detail from the Austrian government in the coming days.

BTW I have a vested interest as hope to be travelling on 8th Jan.
ski holidays
Regs have been published, with the new sections helpfully highlighted in yellow:

https://goverdrive.portal.at/index.php/s/qnepQJZoEEZgX22/download/Entry-requirements-EN.pdf

They’ve got around the VVA by introducing a new quarantine exemption for boostered + PCRs, for all 12 countries it looks like

48hr PCR confirmed (for adults, not sure about teenagers)

No mention of essential travel anywhere in this doc (don’t think there was in previous versions either)

Do UK arrivals now have to fill out the Registration form mentioned at requirement 2?

There is a highlighted change to Minor entry requirements at 12.b - it’s either a change to entry testing timescale or a relaxation to allow antigen tests?
snow report
@DidierCouch, thanks for posting! Hopefully, this will clear up some of the confusion.
latest report
The Austrian Tourist board site, is also showing 48 hrs, no mention of needing to complete the registration form.

NEW: Virus variant areas United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Denmark, Norway
New rules for everyone arriving from the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Denmark and Norway. These countries will be classified as a virus variant region from 25 December in Austria. This means:

People who are fully vaccinated (double jabbed) AND have received the 3rd booster jab can enter Austria with a negative PCR test (valid 48 hours). Children under the age of 12 are exempt (see below) and teenagers eligible for the Holiday Ninja Pass will be able to enter with a negative PCR test (valid 48 hours).
Important additional information: Everyone else travelling from the UK, the Netherlands, Denmark and Norway needs to quarantine for 10 days upon arrival if they have not been fully vaccinated (2 x jabs) and had a third booster.

Source: https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information/entry-regulations
ski holidays
On the post by @DidierCouch, when using the link you need to accept the terms to get to the document, it automatically opens once you accept. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
esaw1 wrote:
@Jimmole, this new thread seems like a very good idea to me.

Agreed
latest report
My first post. Thank you for the posts with links to the new rules. There is still no specific mention of rules for 16 and 17 year olds. At the moment it seems like they also need to have a booster and a 48 hour PCR. Is this right? Our oldest daughter is seventeen and double jabbed, and we have 13 and 14 year olds who are also double jabbed, and have been doing the ninja pass all week. So at the moment it seems like the 17 year old is the only one who can't come. Surely that can't be right?
snow report
@spapcat, this is from the tourist board site,

Holiday Ninja Pass - FAQ

Please note: Teenagers born before 1 September 2006 need to be fully vaccinated

https://press.austria.info/winter-holidays-with-teenagers/
ski holidays
Thank you, that's really helpful. It looks like she'll be ok with her QR code and a 48hr PCR. Trying really hard not to be the Dad that got his family turned away from the airport on Boxing Day morning!
snow report
I read the rules as requiring a 120 day gap between jab 2 and booster. Anyone know if that is the case as it snookers my 8 Jan trip.
snow report
@Ghost Dog, my experience, limited to buying my pass is that they only look at the third QR code, I opened the NHS app and showed the third code.

@Scarlet has also mentioned this on the other thread
snow conditions
I don't want to be turned back at Salzburg Airport tho.
ski holidays
So in transit ill still need to meet all these requirements (luckily I have), to land at Innsbruck and transfer to Italy?
snow conditions
@Ghost Dog, you could try the Austrian embassy see what they say, plus the airline needs to check you are compliant before checking in with BA you have to upload your documentation and then if all is OK you can check in, they get fined if you are turned back by the authorities.
ski holidays
Sarny wrote:
So in transit ill still need to meet all these requirements (luckily I have), to land at Innsbruck and transfer to Italy?

Of course. It is not an airside transit, so you need to meet the regs to enter Austria.
snow report
I’ve just spotted a potential get out of jail card - I’m an Irish citizen and it seems to suggest the full UK rules don’t apply for me and my household. Has anyone experience of what that means in practice?
latest report
@Doccam, I’m assuming you live in the UK

Entry into Austria
a. Passengers entering Austria and who can prove that they have not been in
any of the countries or areas mentioned under point 5. in the last 10 days can travel freely to Austria with a proof of vaccination or a proof of recovery AND a negative test result.

https://goverdrive.portal.at/index.php/s/qnepQJZoEEZgX22/download/Entry-requirements-EN.pdf
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy