Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Missed Cervinia link and stuck in Zermatt

Poster: A snowHead
tomb wrote:
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Bella2015, can you ski freely between the two countries ? no issues with passports / covid etc ?
PCR needed at the turnstile of all lifts connecting from Italy to Swiss border - then same again when you come back wink They're in Switzerland - they can afford it Cool

How old can the pcr be? 48, 72 hours? Going to Cervinia myself in the new year.

Thanks

I think it has to be done on-site so you wait at the turnstile, usually a 2-4 hour turnaround.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
on the othe side, being in the office, and trying to figure out where the X%&$%$ is a problem with a shipment that will cost almost 8.000 Euro for my company, i have to admit that i am a little bit jealous.
I wish that my problem right now was the same as yours.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@geoffknight, details, details Embarassed . Sorry gang.

OK, back to my day job: surgeon. Its your left kidney that's coming out, correct?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Scooter in Seattle, No problem, always thought Seattle was one of the nicest places in Canada Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
@geoffknight, details, details Embarassed . Sorry gang.

OK, back to my day job: surgeon. Its your left kidney that's coming out, correct?

Erh, I thought it's the right one?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi everyone, back in Italy in our flat now and guess it’s time to post an update. Thank you for all the great recommendations and some “non judgmental” comments:)@luigi, we indeed were cutting it fine.. so yes most of the blame lies with irresponsible parents who thought they could take the kids into Switzerland after lunch ( they have ski school until 12:30) but all ended up quite a positive experience. We stayed in Zermatt Youth Hostel ( CHF 240 for a family room with private bathroom with breakfast , which was not too bad considering that when we asked in a nearby hotel they wanted 2500!) , we walked around Zermatt and had a lovely dinner. In the morning we had breakfast with a fabulous view of the Matterhorn !@MHskier it was indeed magnificent! We then skied Riffelberg and had hot chocolate in the Iglu. @franga, thank you for the tip. We then made our way to Italy with no further issues, apart from the fact that the Ventina piste is indeed very long with a tired 7 year old in tow.. but he coped brilliantly. The culmination of the experience was finally changing into our regular shoes at the end of the day after spending two days in our ski boots!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Bella2015, Sounds like a grand day out
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good to hear you're all back. An experience you won't forget!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Bella2015, if you were going to do it, it was as well you did it this year when it wasn’t so busy that you could get that bargain (for Switzerland) hostel room. Sounds like it all worked out well. Hey, its all better than not skiing like most of us.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you all. Yes indeed we consider ourselves lucky .. we were meant to be skiing in Les Arc but rerouted to Cervinia last minute for obvious reason and then accidentally found ourselves in Switzerland. Yes, an adventure that we won’t forget in a hurry
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
By the way we were not asked for PCR. They also never asked us for green pass on the lifts, but they do insist on wearing masks. In the hostel in Zermatt and in there restaurants we were asked to show our ( adults) green passes as well. Nothing was asked for the kids as they are both under 12.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I _think_ (but who can be sure these days) that the “PCR at turnstiles” post was very much tongue in cheek.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Bella2015, glad it all worked out in the end and you created some unforgettable memories! snowHead

Yeah, there wouldn't be much leeway if you didn't leave Cervinia until after lunch, as the last lift back up the Klein Matterhorn for return to Cervinia is given as 15.30.

Ideally, you need to head over first thing in the morning, see how far you get, have lunch, then start heading back.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@luigi, yes . Lesson learned. We might do that on Saturday when kids don’t have ski school although having spent some time in Switzerland, we might just stick to Cervinia in the last few days.. however if we decided to come back to Cervinia another time , we might actually intentionally book an overnight stay in Zermatt, ski there ( this time with some shoes to change into and at least a toothbrush) and enjoy some skiing on both sides - given that we have kids, everything takes longer, so this could be a good option for us
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I for one, enjoy reading about your adventure!
snow conditions
abc wrote:
+1
latest report
+2
ski holidays
Glad that at least this is entertaining. Also maybe others would learn from my mistakes although it was ok at the end
latest report
Quote:

if we decided to come back to Cervinia another time , we might actually intentionally book an overnight stay in Zermatt, ski there ( this time with some shoes to change into and at least a toothbrush)

Making tasty lemonade out of a sour lemon, you did a fantastic job! snowHead
latest report
Stuff of legends. Well done.
snow conditions
Fantastic

‘Remember that time…’
snow conditions
Great story. Thanks for sharing your experience.
latest report
Quote:
I _think_ (but who can be sure these days) that the “PCR at turnstiles” post was very much tongue in cheek
Indeed. The latest in my catalogue of misguided attempts at humour - well that's what Mrs MA always says wink

Glad it all worked out Bella2015. Sounds worth the £££ for the adventure, not to mention the Matterhorn breakfast view.
snow conditions
Expensive Swiss chocolate is wasted on kids. Twisted Evil
snow report
pam w wrote:
Expensive Swiss chocolate is wasted on kids. Twisted Evil

But I am prepared to sacrifice my waistline for the greater good….
snow report
dw832 wrote:
Great story. Thanks for sharing your experience.

+1
snow conditions
Bella2015,

Great adventure! Thanks for posting.

In hindsight... would you now prefer that you had had your little excursion to Zermatt or not? Puzzled

I reckon it enhanced your trip and has given you a great, over-dinner story about an inadvertent, technically illegal, trip to Switzerland that you can talk (& laugh) about for years to come Very Happy .

I recommend the 3 Valleys for a future trip, as that would give you lots of opportunities for unplanned nights in a different valley, miles away from your booked accommodation Toofy Grin .
snow conditions
@Bergmeister Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think that if I was stuck in the wrong side of a 3V resort I would simply get a cab - the max. distance is what, Orelle (actually in the fourth valley, but I guess rembranding was out of question - plus the Swiss already claimed the 4V name) to Courchevel 1850? That's probably a 1.5h drive max.

So overall we can't beat the Cervinia/Zermatt experience with the 3V. But are there other domains that take you on bigger stretches?

La Thuile /La Rosière means a loop via the Tunnel du Mt Blanc and seems like a good candidate...
anyone wants to venture into France by accident?
snow conditions
abc wrote:

+3

Thanks for sharing Very Happy
snow report
if you want to visit or stay one night in zermatt from cerivina, do you need covid test?
ski holidays
miscdazc wrote:
if you want to visit or stay one night in zermatt from cerivina, do you need covid test?

As long as you didn't plan it in advance, apparently not. Laughing
ski holidays
patrick! wrote:
I think that if I was stuck in the wrong side of a 3V resort I would simply get a cab - the max. distance is what, Orelle (actually in the fourth valley, but I guess rembranding was out of question - plus the Swiss already claimed the 4V name) to Courchevel 1850? That's probably a 1.5h drive max.

The drive from Orelle to Courchevel 1850 is actually shorter (1 hour 38 minutes) than Orelle to Val Thorens (1 hour 50), according to Google maps.

As we were quoted €100 3 weeks ago for a 40 minute taxi ride from Moutiers to Val Thorens, I reckon a taxi from Orelle to VT (via Moutiers) could cost nearly €300 Shocked In those circumstances I think I'd be looking for a hotel... wink
ski holidays
brilliant what a great story of adventure that will be remembered far longer than what you had originally planned
love it adventure by misadventure
snow report
Have a friend who has done exactly this today, despite me warning them yesterday about the consequences. No rooms in Zermatt tonight and now in a TAxi for 3.5 hrs, I daren't ask how much that will cost on NYE!
latest report
@endoman, Probably would have been cheaper to get a hotel in Visp or somewhere down the valley on the train line
snow report
DCG wrote:
@endoman, Probably would have been cheaper to get a hotel in Visp or somewhere down the valley on the train line

I was told they went to Tourist Office to explore options....
ski holidays
endoman wrote:
DCG wrote:

I was told they went to Tourist Office to explore options....

Hmmm.... Hotels.com is currently showing rooms available in Sion for £130. Probably cheaper than the taxi, I would think.
snow report
I have been told by a ski instructor in Cervinia after our (mis)adventure that apparently you can get a helicopter from Zermatt to Italian side and ski down … it cost between 80-120 CHF per person so potentially cheaper than taxi. I haven’t checked this though.. will get the details and update on here for anyone that might need this in the future @endoman, sorry will be too late for your friend
snow report
@Bella2015, That is interesting as I have checked the sight seeing flights and for the 20 minute one it costs 220 CHF per person, a few years ago when the avalanches blocked the road to Zermatt they they were charging 50 CHF to fly them out although I think they increased it later.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy